cprmauldin

What RPG's are you currently playing?

41 minutes ago, eal said:

I actually heard of this a few days before it came out. Was gonna get it but it’s PC at the moment and I’d rather wait for 2020 in hopes of a Switch port. But speaking of those developers, I need a game for Christmas week when I’m not at home and I’m bouncing between picking either one of the Vita Rayman games or Cosmic Star Heroine.

The Vita version of Rayman Origins is a very good version of the game. Haven’t played the Vita version of Rayman Legends, but I’d imagine it’s as good quality wise as the Vita version of Origins.

I have both on other consoles and you really can’t go wrong with either game, eal.

I actually heard of this a few days before it came out. Was gonna get it but it’s PC at the moment and I’d rather wait for 2020 in hopes of a Switch port. But speaking of those developers, I need a game for Christmas week when I’m not at home and I’m bouncing between picking either one of the Vita Rayman games or Cosmic Star Heroine.
This game is shaping up to be a 5-6 hour game. I'm a little over 2 hours into it and I'm halfway done with the bosses it in-game says I have to beat. I'm sure there's something else, but it's absolutely hilarious and I'm enjoying every second!

I think I'm 11 battles away from beating Cthulhu Saves Christmas. It's been fun. Got a little grundy near the end (and heck, I'm playing on easy) mainly because the enemies suddenly have huge HP pools. Still enjoying it quite a bit. The party talk and such is hilarious. There's stuff you do in town between going to areas to battle. They give you the chance to do 5 or 6 days of little NPC things. They're honestly the best part of the game!

I think I'm 11 battles away from beating Cthulhu Saves Christmas. It's been fun. Got a little grundy near the end (and heck, I'm playing on easy) mainly because the enemies suddenly have huge HP pools. Still enjoying it quite a bit. The party talk and such is hilarious. There's stuff you do in town between going to areas to battle. They give you the chance to do 5 or 6 days of little NPC things. They're honestly the best part of the game!

1 hour ago, Plattym3 said:

Got a little grundy near the end

Yeah, I hate it when games get grundy too.

DQ XI:S remains my primary game, I'm somewhere between 45 and 50 hours in. Having way more fun this playthrough. 

Diablo III (PS4), I play when I can. I think I'm near the end of Act II. 

Trials of Mana (Collection of Mana) - 3 hours in and I finally have my whole squad. This game is turning out to be very, very fun. I'm actually really liking the fact that it's not holding my hand. It requires patience but is that much more rewarding. 

Honestly, when I finish up with DQ XI again, I'll probably keep Trials of Mana in the number 2 slot. It works well as such a game because of the save anywhere feature. 

The question is....what will take over my primary Switch Spot?

Played a little more of DQ7 over the weekend and got to and through Greenthumb. The backtracking is awful. I had to go to a place to talk to somebody....but there was someone else there instead for plot reasons I guess. So I found the person and they went right back to where they were going to be anyways! What is the point of that?!?!? Just put the person at point A instead of making me go to point B for a couple lines of dialouge and back to point A when everything could've been settled at point A beforehand. It's NUTS! 

Edit: AND FURTHERMORE! Let me zoom to places in the past and present. If I'm going between time periods for plot reasons just let me zoom between time periods. That's what I hated about 6 as well. I always had to go back to Alltrades for a central and quick location to swap worlds just to zoom somewhere. I want to finish this game so I can say I've finished the entire mainline series but god damn

Edited by DrippySlimeStar

1 hour ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

Played a little more of DQ7 over the weekend and got to and through Greenthumb. The backtracking is awful. I had to go to a place to talk to somebody....but there was someone else there instead for plot reasons I guess. So I found the person and they went right back to where they were going to be anyways! What is the point of that?!?!? Just put the person at point A instead of making me go to point B for a couple lines of dialouge and back to point A when everything could've been settled at point A beforehand. It's NUTS! 

Edit: AND FURTHERMORE! Let me zoom to places in the past and present. If I'm going between time periods for plot reasons just let me zoom between time periods. That's what I hated about 6 as well. I always had to go back to Alltrades for a central and quick location to swap worlds just to zoom somewhere. I want to finish this game so I can say I've finished the entire mainline series but god damn

Glad you’re having fun with the game! 😃

• Like 2

I wouldn't trade a single second of that game!

OK, let's be honest, there's a good 20 hours I'd trade. But

1 hour ago, Plattym3 said:

I wouldn't trade a single second of that game!

OK, let's be honest, there's a good 20 hours I'd trade. But emoji3590.pngemoji3590.pngemoji3590.pngemoji3590.pngemoji3590.pngemoji3590.pngemoji3590.png

Is it the first 20 hours cause holy #$*! this better get better. I don't think it can get any worse.

Edit: Like seriously I don't want to give it much more time if I'm not enjoying it but I know it'll haunt me forever if I don't finish it.

Edited by DrippySlimeStar
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

Is it the first 20 hours cause holy #$*! this better get better. I don't think it can get any worse.

Edit: Like seriously I don't want to give it much more time if I'm not enjoying it but I know it'll haunt me forever if I don't finish it.

It’s like I said a while ago: if you aren’t having fun with it, move on to something else. There’s no point trying to play it if you aren’t having a good time and enjoying the island stories.

I did the same thing with Dragon Quest IX. I did not like playing that game at all and just dropped it entirely. I don’t really regret it either since I wasn’t having fun with it.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

It’s like I said a while ago: if you aren’t having fun with it, move on to something else. There’s no point trying to play it if you aren’t having a good time and enjoying the island stories.

I did the same thing with Dragon Quest IX. I did not like playing that game at all and just dropped it entirely. I don’t really regret it either since I wasn’t having fun with it.

Sound advice from Yangus. 

What the heck is the point of continuing if you hate it so much?!

That being said, I contradict myself in the sense that there has been a game our two I've completed out of sheer stubbornness. 

5 hours ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

I want to finish this game so I can say I've finished the entire mainline series

Not to attack you, but I think I've isolated a problem.

If you're only playing this game as a means to an end, then you should probably stop right now. You've stacked the deck against yourself from the start, because you're treating the game as a hurdle to overcome rather than a thing to enjoy in its own right. VII is long and vignette-heavy with a lot of melancholy, so if you're not up for taking it slow, then it's really just a waste of your time -- this isn't a game you'll get through quickly.

There's no shame in not having finished the entire mainline series, so don't worry about it -- rushing to the finish line is only going to make all the steps to get there less pleasant. Don't run marathons if you don't like to run.

Now, I don't know why you're trying to finish everything and you may have a perfectly good reason, but the advice from Yangus is good. Games are by definition what we do for fun -- if your game isn't fun, then it would serve you well to stop playing. Not finishing won't make you a failure, no one here will think less of you, and you can always go back if you want to figure out what VII is all about.

EDIT: Also, I'm officially giving up the charade that I haven't played VII, which no one cares about but me. I played it on the 3DS about two years ago.

Edited by JaybirdC

1 hour ago, JaybirdC said:

Not to attack you, but I think I've isolated a problem.

If you're only playing this game as a means to an end, then you should probably stop right now. You've stacked the deck against yourself from the start, because you're treating the game as a hurdle to overcome rather than a thing to enjoy in its own right. VII is long and vignette-heavy with a lot of melancholy, so if you're not up for taking it slow, then it's really just a waste of your time -- this isn't a game you'll get through quickly.

There's no shame in not having finished the entire mainline series, so don't worry about it -- rushing to the finish line is only going to make all the steps to get there less pleasant. Don't run marathons if you don't like to run.

Now, I don't know why you're trying to finish everything and you may have a perfectly good reason, but the advice from Yangus is good. Games are by definition what we do for fun -- if your game isn't fun, then it would serve you well to stop playing. Not finishing won't make you a failure, no one here will think less of you, and you can always go back if you want to figure out what VII is all about.

EDIT: Also, I'm officially giving up the charade that I haven't played VII, which no one cares about but me. I played it on the 3DS about two years ago.

You guys nailed it. It's not for me. It's like when I refused to sell my copy of Builders on Switch despite putting all of 1 hour into it and determining it wasn't for me. It's a mental thing with me where I have to be 100% knowledgeable about something or else I'm a poser. If I don't finish 7 I feel like I can't call myself a real Dragon Quest even though I own every mainline game, in some cases multiple copies on different platforms for some games. I just gotta get over the fact that, Jay brought up, nobody cares. I know I'm a Dragon Quest fan, Christ I have a tattoo for it...not finishing one game in the franchise doesn't make me any lesser of a fan.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

You guys nailed it. It's not for me. It's like when I refused to sell my copy of Builders on Switch despite putting all of 1 hour into it and determining it wasn't for me. It's a mental thing with me where I have to be 100% knowledgeable about something or else I'm a poser. If I don't finish 7 I feel like I can't call myself a real Dragon Quest even though I own every mainline game, in some cases multiple copies on different platforms for some games. I just gotta get over the fact that, Jay brought up, nobody cares. I know I'm a Dragon Quest fan, Christ I have a tattoo for it...not finishing one game in the franchise doesn't make me any lesser of a fan.

Yep. That’s why I pointed out I never finished IX. You aren’t any less of a DQ fan just because you don’t play/beat one game, main series or spin-off. Forcing yourself to play VII is the wrong idea, so wait to until you genuinely want to play it before diving in.

• Like 1

I just gotta get over the fact that, Jay brought up, nobody cares. I know I'm a Dragon Quest fan, Christ I have a tattoo for it...not finishing one game in the franchise doesn't make me any lesser of a fan.

You got it.

None of us are 100% knowledgeable about Dragon Quest. That's why we have each other. Together we're about 64% knowledgeable.

17 minutes ago, JaybirdC said:

You got it.

None of us are 100% knowledgeable about Dragon Quest. That's why we have each other. Together we're about 64% knowledgeable.

And Ignasia makes up the other 36%.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Started up Bravely Default. For a 3DS game it's really impressive. The opening cutscenes are really good and the AR part at the beginning was cool. The voice acting and music have been really great as well.

On 12/19/2019 at 12:24 PM, MegaSilverX1 said:

With Pokemon Silver done, I'm playing Pocket Monsters Green and am currently at Lavender Town. Probably going to keep my team small this time around, like a team of four Pokemon. I already have a Venusaur and Lapras, but I'm thinking of having Porygon and maybe Marowak on my team. The language barrier isn't a huge issue since I have the prima guide and have been writing down what each move and item is in English in a notebook.

Well I learned the other night that the item duplication Missingno glitch doesn't exist in Pocket Monsters Green/Red which means getting a Porygon legit is more of a pain than it would be worth since I can no longer sell a crap ton of Nuggets to just purchase all the game corner tokens needed for the Pokemon. So instead I found an excellent substitute: Mew. Thankfully, the Mew glitch still works in these versions. I also tried to trade Pokemon between Pocket Monsters Green and Pokemon Blue just to see if it'd work and the answer is basically no. While both games recognize the other when the game checks to see if the systems are linked up, Blue crashes a few seconds into the Pokemon selection screen while Green functioned normally.

On 12/23/2019 at 11:12 PM, DrippySlimeStar said:

Started up Bravely Default. For a 3DS game it's really impressive. The opening cutscenes are really good and the AR part at the beginning was cool. The voice acting and music have been really great as well.

Excellent game.  Well worth playing it and Bravely Second, as well.  Hope you find enjoyment there, and wouldn't you know it, the next game in the series is due for Switch in the coming year!

• Like 1

I got some new RPGs for Christmas. Got Fire Emblem: Three Houses and a physical copy of The Darkest Dungeon (Switch Version). I’ve been looking forward to Three Houses so I’m pretty happy I got it as a gift.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I got some new RPGs for Christmas. Got Fire Emblem: Three Houses and a physical copy of The Darkest Dungeon (Switch Version). I’ve been looking forward to Three Houses so I’m pretty happy I got it as a gift.

Both are awesome in their way!  Which of the 3 Houses are you playing first?

10 minutes ago, The Dog of Zahan said:

Excellent game.  Well worth playing it and Bravely Second, as well.  Hope you find enjoyment there, and wouldn't you know it, the next game in the series is due for Switch in the coming year!

I hope it comes out later next year. I still haven’t played Octopath Traveler. I’m looking forward to Bravely Default II, and I REALLY hope it answers some of the questions the first two games left open (coughAdventurerattheendofSeconecough).

14 minutes ago, The Dog of Zahan said:

Both are awesome in their way!  Which of the 3 Houses are you playing first?

I have no idea. I know nothing about the game and have kept myself in the dark as much as possible. We’ll see what happens when I start up the game and what house side with. I’m thinking I’ll go with the Blue house first.

24 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I forgot to ask for Three Houses! It’s okay, I got Skyrim and Octopath Traveler for Switch. Not an RPG or on Switch, but as an honorable mention I got A Plague Tale: Innocence for PS4. I didn’t even hear about it until everyone I listen to online started talking about it. In fact, Jim Sterling named it one of his Games of the Year.

6 minutes ago, eal said:

I forgot to ask for Three Houses! It’s okay, I got Skyrim and Octopath Traveler for Switch. Not an RPG or on Switch, but as an honorable mention I got A Plague Tale: Innocence for PS4. I didn’t even hear about it until everyone I listen to online started talking about it. In fact, Jim Sterling named it one of his Games of the Year.

I saw him mention that game actually. It sounds interesting.

I also got the Link’s Awakening Switch remake and Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice. I’ve been wanting to get Link’s Awakening for a while now, and almost bought it back at launch.

Music wise I got the soundtrack for Zelda: Breath of the Wild. I was really surprised when I opened that this morning, and I’m glad my family knows my musical likes! I’m looking forward to having that on my iPod, as Breath of the Wild has some really great music to it.