What RPG's are you currently playing?

Seiken Densetsu 3 is a game I continue to bring up whenever the topic is on the most beautiful games ever created. It never ceased looking amazing.

While I'm curious about the remake, and I do think it looks decent for a low budget title, this is one game where I can't really justify giving it a new coat of paint. It simply wasn't needed.

• Like 1
  • Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dragon Quest III iOS. Ready for EO Untold II.

10/10 picture. You can get a lot of funny pictures in the 3DS version. Shame DQ11S’s camera mode feels so limiting by comparison.

OK, I have a good three hours clocked in FFIX now, so it's time for first impressions!   -I love this game. In this short time of playing, I'm already having a blast, and I'm sure it'll only get be

Posted Images

17 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

If I remember right it took about an hour and half to two hours before I had all three of my characters. The 2nd one (Angela) joined me not long after I left the town of Jadd and recruited the Faerie, and the third one (Charlotte) joined in the dungeon that was right next to where Angela joined.

I don’t know if the characters you pick affects when/where they join, so depending on who you chose you may see them join at different times.

Sorry I don’t have a solid answer. I started the game the night of Thanksgiving so my memory is a little fuzzy, but I’m pretty sure it only took a little while before I had my full party of characters. So if you’re an hour in and have gotten to or just past Jadd, your other two characters should be joining soon.

Hope you like the game as much as I have! It’s been a lot of fun, especially because of that vague nature you mentioned earlier. Starting the game and not getting much information kind of threw me off, but it was easy to get sucked into the game and it’s been fun to figure out mechanics as I’ve played. Haven’t had that kind of satisfaction with a game in a while.

Yeah, at first I was kind of caught off guard. Not that it was something that I haven't experienced before, but unfortunately I've been conditioned to current RPGs where, at the very least, there is something in the menu that tells they player what he or she should be doing. 

A lot of the older RPGs were like this, where if the player forgets what they're doing, they have to explore, battle, and talk until they figure it out. Now that I've got my head wrapped around it I realize I've missed it. Old RPGs could be such a trudge at times, but it feels super rewarding when you figure out what to do and do it. 

Found Pokemon Silver at the thrift store on Monday and started playing that after I replaced the CR 2025 battery in the cartridge. Never really got into the gen 2 Pokemon games since I ended up skipping over that gen going from Blue to Ruby and I didn't really get how having two regions to explore was all that amazing. Johto felt really tiny and Kanto felt watered down compared to how it was in gen 1. I wouldn't really call Kanto post game since the journey through Johto feels so quick that Kanto just feels like the second half of the game. Even after completing Kanto, the game doesn't seem any longer than  other Pokemon games (if anything, it still feels short to me). That being said, the more I play GSC/SS HG, the more I kind of enjoy them...although it may be happening since I now have a link cable and can trade between games (and know how to replace the stupid save battery in the cart properly), something I didn't have back in like 2007 when I first tried playing Silver.

Anyway, I'm about 13 hours into the game and about to fight the 8th gym in Johto with my team consisting of Meganium, Typhlosion, Girafarig, and Pupitar. Besides Typholsion, I've never used any of the other Pokemon before. Not really sure who will be filling the last two slots; was thinking of trying Sneasel and Hitmontop, but both Pokemon's moves they learn kinda suck (Sneasel not learning any Ice movies even though it's an Ice type seems dumb). Suppose I could always throw a Pokemon or two from my Crystal, Gold, or Blue team.

I also purchased a few Game Boy games from Japan the other week that should be arriving early next week two of them being Pokemon Green and Red and I'm looking forward to revisiting an even more buggy gen 1 Kanto. I've played Blue enough that the language barrier shouldn't be an issue. I was initially going to hold off playing a Pokemon game until these arrived in the mail, but since I happened to run into that copy of Silver for cheap I thought I might as well play that while I wait.

Edited by MegaSilverX1
  • Like 1
12 hours ago, MegaSilverX1 said:

Found Pokemon Silver at the thrift store on Monday and started playing that after I replaced the CR 2025 battery in the cartridge. Never really got into the gen 2 Pokemon games since I ended up skipping over that gen going from Blue to Ruby and I didn't really get how having two regions to explore was all that amazing. Johto felt really tiny and Kanto felt watered down compared to how it was in gen 1. I wouldn't really call Kanto post game since the journey through Johto feels so quick that Kanto just feels like the second half of the game. Even after completing Kanto, the game doesn't seem any longer than  other Pokemon games (if anything, it still feels short to me). That being said, the more I play GSC/SS HG, the more I kind of enjoy them...although it may be happening since I now have a link cable and can trade between games (and know how to replace the stupid save battery in the cart properly), something I didn't have back in like 2007 when I first tried playing Silver.

Anyway, I'm about 13 hours into the game and about to fight the 8th gym in Johto with my team consisting of Meganium, Typhlosion, Girafarig, and Pupitar. Besides Typholsion, I've never used any of the other Pokemon before. Not really sure who will be filling the last two slots; was thinking of trying Sneasel and Hitmontop, but both Pokemon's moves they learn kinda suck (Sneasel not learning any Ice movies even though it's an Ice type seems dumb). Suppose I could always throw a Pokemon or two from my Crystal, Gold, or Blue team.

I also purchased a few Game Boy games from Japan the other week that should be arriving early next week two of them being Pokemon Green and Red and I'm looking forward to revisiting an even more buggy gen 1 Kanto. I've played Blue enough that the language barrier shouldn't be an issue. I was initially going to hold off playing a Pokemon game until these arrived in the mail, but since I happened to run into that copy of Silver for cheap I thought I might as well play that while I wait.

Is it hard to change those batteries out? 

I still play my GBC from time to time, but I'm always reluctant to start a new RPG for fear of losing my save. 

32 minutes ago, cprmauldin said:

I still play my GBC from time to time, but I'm always reluctant to start a new RPG for fear of losing my save. 

From what I've seen it can get a little sketchy. You basically bend the metal holding it down back and electric tape the new one in. If you're any good with a sawdering iron you can use that instead of tape.

Well the third Bravely Default game got announced last night and it's Bravely Default...2? Guess it's time to finally play the other two games. I just ordered a sealed copy of Second Layer (the actual second game) and have a copy of Bravely Default waiting at home as well. Maybe I'll play those instead of Dragon Quest 7 since I'll actually finish them before the end of next year.

32 minutes ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

Well the third Bravely Default game got announced last night and it's Bravely Default...2?

You know what would have been actually brave? Making it for the 3DS. More like Cowardly Default.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

Maybe I'll play those instead of Dragon Quest 7 since I'll actually finish them before the end of next year.

Both Bravely Default and Second are about 80 hours, so you’ll finish DQ7 before you’d finish the two of them combined. But you seem to hate DQ7 anyway, so you may as well play something else.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 1
45 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

But you seem to hate DQ7 anyway, so you may as well play something else.

Wouldn't say I hate it but I'm just not into it yet. I'd prefer to beat 2 games in the time it takes me to finish 1 and with the next game in that series coming out in 2020 I'd like to check 'em out. Dragon Quest 12 might come out in like 2030.

• Like 1
Well the third Bravely Default game got announced last night and it's Bravely Default...2? Guess it's time to finally play the other two games. I just ordered a sealed copy of Second Layer (the actual second game) and have a copy of Bravely Default waiting at home as well. Maybe I'll play those instead of Dragon Quest 7 since I'll actually finish them before the end of next year.
They were so damn good and so so so memorable. I sunk a good 150 hours into those kinda close to back to back when Plattym5 was born. He was a horrible sleeper, so in addition to my regular play time I'd be up 2-4am holding and rocking him in my lap in his room and playing BD & BS. Good times. I already wrote about 2 games I'm looking forward to for RPGamer for a feature article we're doing. Now I'm sad I did it so soon, because this is now a top 2 for next year!
  • Like 1
On 12/12/2019 at 1:46 PM, cprmauldin said:

As long as you're careful and patient with the soldering iron, it's not terribly difficult. I bought a lot of CR 1616 and 2025 batteries that already had the tabs in them on ebay a year ago since I haven't really had good success trying to reuse the tabs from the old battery with the replacement one; never had a super solid connection. Solder wick helps in disconnecting the battery from the board but you could always just heat up the solder connection and slowly remove the old battery while the solder is in liquid form.

A company called InterAct made a third party accessory called the Mega Memory Card which is a cartridge that backs up Game Boy and Game Boy Color game saves. Getting the device to communicate with a game cart is kinda finicky thanks how the Mega Memory Card is designed, but the backed up save files actually work.

Was chipping away at Dragon Quest 7 over the weekend. I'm just about up to where I was when I stopped playing last time. I'm determined to get through it now since I want to play Tokyo Mirage on switch pretty soon after it releases. The game seems to be running a bit better now and it's easy to just breeze through dialog while I'm buzzing a little bit.

• Like 1
On 12/13/2019 at 11:40 PM, MegaSilverX1 said:

As long as you're careful and patient with the soldering iron, it's not terribly difficult. I bought a lot of CR 1616 and 2025 batteries that already had the tabs in them on ebay a year ago since I haven't really had good success trying to reuse the tabs from the old battery with the replacement one; never had a super solid connection. Solder wick helps in disconnecting the battery from the board but you could always just heat up the solder connection and slowly remove the old battery while the solder is in liquid form.

A company called InterAct made a third party accessory called the Mega Memory Card which is a cartridge that backs up Game Boy and Game Boy Color game saves. Getting the device to communicate with a game cart is kinda finicky thanks how the Mega Memory Card is designed, but the backed up save files actually work.

Hmm...sounds like there is a lot of room for error from a clumsy guy like me. 

On 12/13/2019 at 8:08 AM, DrippySlimeStar said:

Wouldn't say I hate it but I'm just not into it yet. I'd prefer to beat 2 games in the time it takes me to finish 1 and with the next game in that series coming out in 2020 I'd like to check 'em out. Dragon Quest 12 might come out in like 2030.

I think the point he is making is, if you're going to be rushing, this may not be the game for you. 

But, hey! If you can play and enjoy it, more power to ya!

Romancing SaGa 2 isn't going to poorly, but damn if I know where I am or what I'm doing in the grand scheme for the most part.  I'm 16.5 hours into it and likely something like 20++ hours along with all the rests and such.  I just started a new generation and have saves inside and outside a place I'm supposed to go into. Realizing halfway through I don't have the items to make it through I tried to leave.  Nope, can't do that.  Will reset 40 minutes earlier to do something else.  Ugh!

Started up Persona 5 Dancing to have something mindless to do in between sessions of RS2 and I do need to do more Strange Journey Redux.

21 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Romancing SaGa 2 isn't going to poorly, but damn if I know where I am or what I'm doing in the grand scheme for the most part.  I'm 16.5 hours into it and likely something like 20++ hours along with all the rests and such.  I just started a new generation and have saves inside and outside a place I'm supposed to go into. Realizing halfway through I don't have the items to make it through I tried to leave.  Nope, can't do that.  Will reset 40 minutes earlier to do something else.  Ugh!

Started up Persona 5 Dancing to have something mindless to do in between sessions of RS2 and I do need to do more Strange Journey Redux.

Ahh....the challenge of Classic Roleplaying Games. Isn't it great?!

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Neat. I'm never playing that game.

• Like 1
I can't really think of someone to really recommend this game to. I mean, I'm enjoying parts, but I'm dreading it becoming like the end of Legend of Legacy where I won't be able to win due to bad RNG.
12 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
14 minutes ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

I can't really think of someone to really recommend this game to. I mean, I'm enjoying parts, but I'm dreading it becoming like the end of Legend of Legacy where I won't be able to win due to bad RNG.

You recommend it to people who enjoy games like Dark Souls, Darkest Dungeon, and other tough RPGs. Mainly those who are nut balls like me.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

You recommend it to people who enjoy games like Dark Souls, Darkest Dungeon, and other tough RPGs. Mainly those who are nut balls like me.

5 hours ago, Plattym3 said:
5 hours ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

There’s another game I forgot to mention: Stranger of Sword City Revisited. Now THAT was a good game. Tough for sure what with having a Life Points system and points where a number of areas are open for you to explore, but the team building, gameplay, and atmosphere of that game was excellent. It really gave me Strange Journey vibes with how it handled the player character, world, and music, which is great in my book since Strange Journey is one of my favorite games of all time.

It’s definitely not for everyone, but man, Stranger of Sword City Revisited is good #$*!. It definitely has my favorite menu music in an RPG though.

In Dragon Quest 7 I now have Ruff in my party and I love him. I'm headed to the castle with the Killing Machines and see it as the last hurdle I have to get back over since I stopped right after it on my first playthrough. The backtracking has gotten better and I'm only going through 7 lines of dialogue for everyone as opposed to 20.

Edited by DrippySlimeStar
  • Like 1

Was all set for a big night of gaming last night, and then fell asleep in my son's room at 8:30pm.

But all was well, woke up at 11:30 ready to go and gamed until 3:30am.  Been a while since I got a big block of time like that in!  Dove back into Strange Journey.  Had to do an hour of searching for some privateer Jack dude to reach the boss of the E area, which was annoying so another hour was spent fusing and various sundry activities to be able to beat it.  Only to realize I didn't win, I had to do a bunch of other stuff just to go back and take him on again, only to get a party wipe in 2 turns.  I was 2-3 hours into it at this time and a bit over checking demon affiliations and what they were strong and weak to, so I saved and will beat the bastard for good in a day or so.  I've got 7 or 8 really good demons, just need to find the right mix of who's strong against physical and has fire attacks.

At around 2:45 I figured I needed to Romance a little SaGa, so popped it in and mermaid titties popped out.  Tried to follow the titties, went on various quests to get the items and now that I have everything, the witch that's supposed to make my potion won't make it.  I was tired and over it.  I'll have to figure out what went wrong later.  I wonder if it's because I collected a couple of the items in previous generations.  Do shells and nests go bad?

11 hours ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

In Dragon Quest 7 I now have Ruff in my party and I love him. I'm headed to the castle with the Killing Machines and see it as the last hurdle I have to get back over since I stopped right after it on my first playthrough. The backtracking has gotten better and I'm only going through 7 lines of dialogue for everyone as opposed to 20.

And it only gets better!

2 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

mermaid titties popped out

Oh okay. 

So I'm going to need to get this game based upon this. 

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, cprmauldin said:

And it only gets better!

Oh okay. 

So I'm going to need to get this game based upon this. 

Any game with what Matt said is worth it.
😏🧜🏻‍♀️

But seriously, Romancing SaGa 2 is a good game. It can be difficult and a little frustrating at times, but it holds up well. If you love SNES era RPGs you’ll no doubt enjoy it. I didn’t have much experience with the SaGa series before starting it, but after playing the game I want to get Romancing SaGa 3 and SaGa Scarlet Grace: Ambitions.

I can say that Romancing SaGa 2 does feel like what you would expect from a good quality Square RPG. Other than a few gameplay nitpicks I’ve really enjoyed Romancing SaGa 2, and I’m looking forward to playing more games in the series in the future. Especially Scarlet Grace, as I’ve heard nothing but good things about that game.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit