cprmauldin

What RPG's are you currently playing?

1 hour ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

You were close to Alltrades by that story. There’s one more story after that and then it’s off to the Alltrades plot.

DQ7 is a long game, but it has some of the best town/island stories in the series (in my opinion). I love the game to death, but if you listen to the Slime Time podcast you probably heard all about that in the episode I was on. 😜

I decided to play it after listening to your Slime Time episode. I stopped listening when the spoilers started cause I tend to spoil myself on old DQ games before I played them.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

I decided to play it after listening to your Slime Time episode. I stopped listening when the spoilers started cause I tend to spoil myself on old DQ games before I played them.

I don’t blame you for that. DQ7 does have stuff that’s worth seeing for yourself and not getting spoiled.

Whenever you start playing the game again, I hope you end up loving it as much as I do. While my opinion for other DQ games jumps around, DQ7 has been my top favorite since I played it. There was just something really special about the game, and I hope I made that clear in my podcast episode. It was a game that really wowed me in many ways.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

It was a game that really wowed me in many ways.

What I played of VII really wowed me too. I just couldn’t believe that someone would create a creature like Maribel.

8 minutes ago, eal said:

What I played of VII really wowed me too. I just couldn’t believe that someone would create a creature like Maribel.

Ok, I know you joke about Maribel, but what’s your genuine opinion on DQ7 from what you played? Did you finish the game and see all it had to offer?

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

7 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Ok, I know you joke about Maribel, but what’s your genuine opinion on DQ7 from what you played? Did you finish the game and see all it had to offer?

Too long, not enough time, I thought the 3DS game was kinda ugly and I didn’t like how tight the camera was on you, and the overworld was...bizarre. I remember it feeling like I’d take 10 steps and end up on a loading screen putting me on a different chunk of the overworld or something. I got all the way through the “stone” island (to avoid spoilers). I think a game came out right after it and took my attention.

• Like 1

Man, that Beuca Volcano Island area of Trials of Mana took FOREVER. I ended up grinding levels while on the island and got everyone to level 18, but with how many battles you run into everywhere on the island it’s pretty easy to reach level 18. Just gotta abuse those free healing and save statues and you are good to go.

Having said that, man where the enemies just annoying. Some of them hit WAY too hard (especially those damn Pricklebeak birds). I’m glad I’m done with this part of the game, as I definitely don’t want to bother with it again.

Now that my party is level 18, I’ve gone back to the Wind elemental dungeon to use the Mana Stone to change everyone’s classes. I’m not sure what I’ll choose, but right now I’m leaning towards Knight, Mysticist, and Summoner for Duran, Angela, and Charlotte respectively. @Twinkie if you have any job class changing suggestions for Angela and Charlotte (particular Charlotte so she can help with damage) I’d appreciate hearing what you did. From what I looked up I want to have Duran go the Knight route for the extra defense and healing abilities, but for the girls...well, I’m not so sure.

10 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I don’t blame you for that. DQ7 does have stuff that’s worth seeing for yourself and not getting spoiled.

Whenever you start playing the game again, I hope you end up loving it as much as I do. While my opinion for other DQ games jumps around, DQ7 has been my top favorite since I played it. There was just something really special about the game, and I hope I made that clear in my podcast episode. It was a game that really wowed me in many ways.

I thought the beginning of Ni no Kuni had bad backtracking. I played for an hour last night bouncing between like 3 areas. I know it takes awhile to get into a fight but come on! I'm about to gather the last of the first tablets so if I remember correctly I'm about to go to the first island with the female warrior and actually kill a slime or 2. Looking forward to playing the game though I may have to bash through the last part of Jedi Fallen Order before giving it my full attention. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

I thought the beginning of Ni no Kuni had bad backtracking. I played for an hour last night bouncing between like 3 areas. I know it takes awhile to get into a fight but come on! I'm about to gather the last of the first tablets so if I remember correctly I'm about to go to the first island with the female warrior and actually kill a slime or 2. Looking forward to playing the game though I may have to bash through the last part of Jedi Fallen Order before giving it my full attention. 

I hate how they simplified the beginning of the game in the 3DS version. The puzzle dungeon may be long in the original at the beginning of the game, but it was engaging to go through and solve the puzzles unlike in the 3DS in where it’s “Go into these 4 conveniently placed areas and push some buttons.”

1 hour ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I hate how they simplified the beginning of the game in the 3DS version. The puzzle dungeon may be long in the original at the beginning of the game, but it was engaging to go through and solve the puzzles unlike in the 3DS in where it’s “Go into these 4 conveniently placed areas and push some buttons.”

And then don't worry about the riddle for the statues we'll just place the right item for you.

12 hours ago, eal said:

Too long, not enough time, I thought the 3DS game was kinda ugly and I didn’t like how tight the camera was on you, and the overworld was...bizarre. I remember it feeling like I’d take 10 steps and end up on a loading screen putting me on a different chunk of the overworld or something. I got all the way through the “stone” island (to avoid spoilers). I think a game came out right after it and took my attention.

Normally I would encourage you to revisit  the game and give it another shot, but it sounds like you truly didn't enjoy the style of the game. 

I tend to agree with Yangus. From my perspective, the game really was a gem, in both versions. While I love most of the other Dragon Quest games, there has yet to be one able to match it on all of the different levels (Story, Customization, Etc). 

12 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Now that my party is level 18, I’ve gone back to the Wind elemental dungeon to use the Mana Stone to change everyone’s classes. I’m not sure what I’ll choose, but right now I’m leaning towards Knight, Mysticist, and Summoner for Duran, Angela, and Charlotte respectively. @Twinkie if you have any job class changing suggestions for Angela and Charlotte (particular Charlotte so she can help with damage) I’d appreciate hearing what you did. From what I looked up I want to have Duran go the Knight route for the extra defense and healing abilities, but for the girls...well, I’m not so sure.

That would depends on what you wanna do late game. Do you just wanna beat the game, or do you wanna tackle the optional content as well?

As long as you really don't have much overlapping between party members in terms of skills, you should be able to complete the game pretty well. Might find some fights a bit difficult, but that can be countered by having a good elemental balanced party. Which is really easy to do with your party set up.

The dark paths for Charlotte is mostly black magic. Which will hinder you a lot for the optional content. I honestly haven't touched any of her dark classes, but from what a lot of people say that her dark paths are really fun once you get to her final class. If you wanna have an easier time with the optional content then I would go with Light. Her damage output is apparently much better in dark, but her starting dark class isn't that greatest. So it will be an investment.

With Duran I would pick on what you decide with Charlotte. His light side does having healing, but that would overlap greatly with Charlotte. His stronger stuff is on the dark side, but if you wanna make Charlotte into a more heavy hitter then having him as another healer isn't a bad idea. Light or Dark Duran is good for the optional content. It just depends on who you pick as your last for class, and what you pick Charlotte to do.

Angela's light path makes her a lot easier to use earlier in the game. As her starting dark class is pretty bad.  Rune Master and Magus are pretty good. But you will have to suffer the mid game for them. So it really depends on if you wanna take that route or not.

Edited by Twinkie

1 hour ago, Twinkie said:

That would depends on what you wanna do late game. Do you just wanna beat the game, or do you wanna tackle the optional content as well?

As long as you really don't have much overlapping between party members in terms of skills, you should be able to complete the game pretty well. Might find some fights a bit difficult, but that can be countered by having a good elemental balanced party. Which is really easy to do with your party set up.

The dark paths for Charlotte is mostly black magic. Which will hinder you a lot for the optional content. I honestly haven't touched any of her dark classes, but from what a lot of people say that her dark paths are really fun once you get to her final class. If you wanna have an easier time with the optional content then I would go with Light. Her damage output is apparently much better in dark, but her starting dark class isn't that greatest. So it will be an investment.

With Duran I would pick on what you decide with Charlotte. His light side does having healing, but that would overlap greatly with Charlotte. His stronger stuff is on the dark side, but if you wanna make Charlotte into a more heavy hitter then having him as another healer isn't a bad idea. Light or Dark Duran is good for the optional content. It just depends on who you pick as your last for class, and what you pick Charlotte to do.

Angela's light path makes her a lot easier to use earlier in the game. As her starting dark class is pretty bad.  Rune Master and Magus are pretty good. But you will have to suffer the mid game for them. So it really depends on if you wanna take that route or not.

After looking it over I went with Knight, Sorceress (or whatever Angela’s light job class option is), and Enchantress. I’m going to go for Paladin and Necromancer for Duran and Charlotte, but need to look over Angela’s options again.

3 hours ago, cprmauldin said:

I tend to agree with Yangus. From my perspective, the game really was a gem, in both versions. While I love most of the other Dragon Quest games, there has yet to be one able to match it on all of the different levels (Story, Customization, Etc). 

I haven't posted here in awhile...

Dragon Quest VII 3DS - currently getting every monster to at least level 5 so I can see what their chest reward groups are in their independent tablets.  Fun times =p...actually, despite repetition going through the share and find menues, and receive text over and over again, it's not that bad.  Even after 8 months of this.  I still have another to go, and then I have to figure out what chest items each monster spawns, and then there are a few groups where I have to then level to 20~50 just to find out what they are.  Good times with menu text.

Dragon Quest XI Switch - getting critical data for fisticuffs as a baseline.  Then it's onto Swords, then PS4 testing.  Already done Greatswords and Daggers.

Fantasy Life - finally got the DLC after all this time.  Started on the quest to access Origin Island.  Though I really should finish up the quest backlog.  I think I have another 20 quests after completing the ones on my list, left over in the main game.  It's kind of surprising how many there are.

Sekiro - started, just got the arm attachment, so the true beginning.

Dragon Quest Builders 2 - Forrowfield.  Attempted the Seed of Life infinite trick.  No dice.  They should make it possible to farm them somehow.  I noticed something interesting.  The Hero has hidden stats.  Both hidden Strength and hidden Defense.  So it's not just his/her HP that goes up.  Even without any new armour of any kind (or having invented any yet....I've just been exploring the island gathering things and making a giant barrier around the town, the leveling out the land, lol).  I noticed this after keeping the same gear (no new weapon recipes at level 7), and dealing 1 extra damage per hit on everything, with 2 extra on slimes/drackies, and my damage intake went from 5~8 to like 2~5, so a 3 point difference from level 6.  My crit rate also seems to be slightly higher.

Bloodstained - still in the ship dungeon, farming away to get every enemy list filled out 100% as I go.

Edited by ignasia

I now have 6 of the 8 elementals. Seeing the other villain groups popping up every now and then when going to dungeons makes me want to delve into the other stories to learn more about the other characters and paths. BUT, one playthrough at a time.

I’m liking my class change choices. Duran’s strength has improved, his defense is really nice now and having some extra protection from different elements is nice thanks to his different shields. Having some back up healing is nice too. Angela’s spells are still going strong, and the new single target spells are doing some good damage. And Charlotte’s multi target healing and new summon attacks have helped improve her overall contributions to my team.

Now that I have the water and fire elementals, I need to figure out where I can head to next. The last two I need are the Moon and Wood elementals.

I’m really enjoying the game a lot. It’s been a really fun game the more and more I play it. I love the graphics and music, the comedic moments thanks to the sprite antics are funny (the old fortune teller smacking Duran halfway across the room was my favorite unexpected moment of the game), and the gameplay has been good solid fun. Glad I’ve finally been able to play Trials of Mana/Seiken Densetsu 3.

16 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

This sums up most of my experience with the 3DS version. I really should have done more research before going into the game, because I'd had the PS1 one lying around for years, but when I finally got around to playing the game, the 3DS one had just come out and everyone was playing that instead.

I really don't like how simplified everything in the game feels, it's very hard to get engaged in the game's world, which really should have been its bread and butter.

I loved Maribel though.

Hooray, I now have all 8 elementals! Thank goodness the boss before the 8th element joins you was so much easier than the last few boss fights. Thank you breather boss.

I’m sure now that I have all 8 elements that nothing bad will happen whatsoever. Nope. Not a single bad thing. What kind of RPG would this be if something bad happened after collecting all the necessary things, right?

Edit: Oh no, something bad happened! Totally didn’t see that coming!

Well, time to find a way to fly. Looks like I need to go back to Laurent where the Amazons are from and see if they can help out.

Having the means to fly in Trials of Mana is really nice. For one it’s super helpful to get back to former areas, and the Mode 7 effects are pretty neat. I’ve always liked the Mode 7 effects developers could pull off on the SNES.

I’ve obtained (and lost due to story reasons) the Sword of Mana. Can’t say I’m disappointed since Duran couldn’t equip it, and it’s now caused the villain group of Duran’s story to begin their plans proper. I like how you get to hear about the failure from the other villain groups and how their plans crumble around them, with the victorious one being related to your starting character one way or another. At this point I’m with Duran on wanting to properly fight the Crimson Wizard, cause that smug so and so has it coming to him.

Now it’s time to confront the talked about big bad creatures, the Benevodons. I’ll be curious if I actually have to fight 8 of them (one per element) since the Dark elemental doesn’t have a stone related to it anymore apparently. For as simple as the story is, I’ll admit I’m interested in seeing what happens with the villains and the Benevodons.

Dragon Quest VII runs like *Angry Video Game Nerd voice* aaaaassssssss on the 3DS. I finished the first island and am heading to it in current day. I really don't know how long I'm going to stick with this one.

Edited by DrippySlimeStar

42 minutes ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

Dragon Quest VII runs like *Angry Video Game Nerd voice* aaaaassssssss on the 3DS. I finished the first island and am heading to it in current day. I really don't know how long I'm going to stick with this one.

I’ve played it on both my regular 3DS and New 3DS XL and the game ran fine for me on both systems. Are you playing a digital copy or something?

14 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I’ve played it on both my regular 3DS and New 3DS XL and the game ran fine for me on both systems. Are you playing a digital copy or something?

Physical. I did look at some old Game FAQ threads and people mentioned digital copies being a bit sluggish. I'm on a New 3DS XL and my problems are the menus are laggy and there's a bit of slowdown in battles when actually performing attacks. Nothing game breaking it just brings an already slow paced game to an even slower pace.

3 hours ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

Physical. I did look at some old Game FAQ threads and people mentioned digital copies being a bit sluggish. I'm on a New 3DS XL and my problems are the menus are laggy and there's a bit of slowdown in battles when actually performing attacks. Nothing game breaking it just brings an already slow paced game to an even slower pace.

Really?? I don't remember a single issue. The only one I heard of when the game was still a common topic of discussion was the late-game Maribel glitch. 

As for me, 

I've been fairly disciplined the last few years about playing and beating only one game at a time on handheld, and one at a time on PS4. Well, after some discussion with a couple trusted members on the Den, I convinced myself to pick up Collection of Mana on the Switch. So, this weekend I managed to play the following:

Dragon Quest XI : S   - This remains my primary game. Man, I'm having WAYYY more fun this time around than the first time, and I the first time was fantastic. Having a general outline of what to do and how the story is going to go has allowed me to feel way more motivated to explore, grind, and craft. And as I mentioned before, I've even taken some time to goof around in the Casinos. I finally grabbed the bonus bundle or whatever for free from the eshop so now my Hero is dressed like he's out of DQ VIII, Erik is wearing all black, and Veronica's a pig. I also have Sylvando and Serena in alternate outfits. 

Diablo III - Still playing my Wizard. He's getting pretty cool, and coming up on level 40. I don't feel like the game is all that difficult but it is fun nonetheless. I often run through dungeons a few times when I find them so I guess there is a small chance I'm slightly over-leveled. 

Trials of Mana (Collection of Mana) - I'm one hour in. Playing this reminds me of the days when RPGs didn't hold your hand in the beginning. I'm not going to lie, it freaked me out a little bit in the beginning, but now I'm enjoying it. This game will stay at the bottom of my list for  a while until I beat the upper two games. 

Somehow, I've managed to up my gaming time a bit over the last week or two so hopefully I can keep this trend up. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, cprmauldin said:

Trials of Mana (Collection of Mana) - I'm one hour in. Playing this reminds me of the days when RPGs didn't hold your hand in the beginning. I'm not going to lie, it freaked me out a little bit in the beginning, but now I'm enjoying it. This game will stay at the bottom of my list for  a while until I beat the upper two games. 

Which characters did you pick for your playthrough?

A trailer popped up for the Trials of Mana remake featuring some of the English voice acting for Duran and Angela. It doesn’t sound too bad, though I can’t help but be distracted by that extremely low cut outfit of Angela’s. Someone had “fun,” making her default appearance look like that. 😏😏😏😏😏

2 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Which characters did you pick for your playthrough?

A trailer popped up for the Trials of Mana remake featuring some of the English voice acting for Duran and Angela. It doesn’t sound too bad, though I can’t help but be distracted by that extremely low cut outfit of Angela’s. Someone had “fun,” making her default appearance look like that. 😏😏😏😏😏

Duran is my primary, but I'm still rolling solo. 

I know I've already picked my companions, but to be completely honest, I can't remember what I decided on for my other two so even I will be somewhat surprised lol. I was leaning toward Charlotte and I think I picked her. I'm completely drawing a blank on the other guy. 

That brings up a good question though, how long will it be till I pick up the other characters? Time-wise? (I know it's dependent on me, but hopefully you can give me an estimate). 

9 minutes ago, cprmauldin said:

Duran is my primary, but I'm still rolling solo. 

I know I've already picked my companions, but to be completely honest, I can't remember what I decided on for my other two so even I will be somewhat surprised lol. I was leaning toward Charlotte and I think I picked her. I'm completely drawing a blank on the other guy. 

That brings up a good question though, how long will it be till I pick up the other characters? Time-wise? (I know it's dependent on me, but hopefully you can give me an estimate). 

If I remember right it took about an hour and half to two hours before I had all three of my characters. The 2nd one (Angela) joined me not long after I left the town of Jadd and recruited the Faerie, and the third one (Charlotte) joined in the dungeon that was right next to where Angela joined.

I don’t know if the characters you pick affects when/where they join, so depending on who you chose you may see them join at different times.

Sorry I don’t have a solid answer. I started the game the night of Thanksgiving so my memory is a little fuzzy, but I’m pretty sure it only took a little while before I had my full party of characters. So if you’re an hour in and have gotten to or just past Jadd, your other two characters should be joining soon.

Hope you like the game as much as I have! It’s been a lot of fun, especially because of that vague nature you mentioned earlier. Starting the game and not getting much information kind of threw me off, but it was easy to get sucked into the game and it’s been fun to figure out mechanics as I’ve played. Haven’t had that kind of satisfaction with a game in a while.