Jump to content
cprmauldin

What RPG's are you currently playing?

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Plattym3 said:
3 hours ago, nectarsis said:
I'm pretty sure the 100%translation for Zero is done and ",testing" before a full release...

Yeah, I knew one was there. That's the first one, correct? Hopefully a nice Christmas release.

Yep Zero is the first of the duology...eben the older translation is very playable.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Damn near hit the 21 hour mark. Been playing so so much. Need to take a break and get back to some Dancing, but I've been playing in places I need to be quiet a lot lately. Enjoying this, but I'm getting more and more annoyed by the fusion system and a real lack of good ways to carry over the best spells and skills. Not that I'm having a hard time, but I like being maxed! I think I'm about halfway done with Slamalamadingdong Delphi level.

 

a58f8adfddde2a5836080550547d174e.jpg50d577cfb159f7a67e9bbcc2b35f4ef1.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally fired up Diablo III again this weekend. Only logged about an hour and a half but it was better than nothing. 

 

I'm also close to 20 hours on DQ XI: S now. Loving the outfit options, it makes the game feel that much more unique. 

 

I'm finding it easier and easier to just pick the Switch up an play it, rather than play my PS4, which is sad because there are a lot of games that I want to get to on the PS4. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just platniumed The Outer Worlds a few days ago. It was pretty good, asides from the short length.

Also, I’ve resumed my Romancing Saga 2 playthrough. Finally, beat Kzinssie (one of the heroes).

 

Edited by Prince of Cannock
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just platniumed The Outer Worlds a few days ago. It was pretty good, asides from the short length.
Also, I’ve resumed my Romancing Saga 2 playthrough. Finally, beat Kzinssie (one of the heroes).
 
Nice! I'm interested in giving those SaGa games a try. Got 2. Will give it a go before I buy 3 at some point.

Spent at least 10 hours the past 3 days on Pokémon TCG. Logged on to recall rules to teach my son, stayed on to clear out the entire Gold Cup of trainers. Man, that took forever!

Put in a bit more time on Persona 4 Dancing. Up to 5 hours, I think the beginning of chapter 5 now. This lady's been a real pain. b98ff19c8eeb8801f06d5663d1b67c2b.jpge4d102001b0837dc6d78551ff9f93270.jpgcc69f9c6add7b640ac2384afac841f8d.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rolled credits on Persona 4 Dancing. I actually watched the credits and I'm interested in one of the musicians. MIZ was credited for the violin solo, and I'm wondering if it's the same J-Pop MIZ that a decade age sung the intro song to Grandia 3. Can't tell for sure online. She's really the only J-Pop artist I know by name, having enjoyed a couple of her albums after hearing that Grandia 3 theme.

Anyway, the game was a so-so experience. I was never too invested in the story. Guess now after playing Persona 3 Dancing and 4, I prefer the bland no-story of 3 better with all the challenges and how they made it all about the dancing. I probably danced as much in 4 total what I did in 1-2 hours of 3. Guess Persona 5 Dancing will be next when I get the urge to test my manual dexterity!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Plattym3 said:

Rolled credits on Persona 4 Dancing. I actually watched the credits and I'm interested in one of the musicians. MIZ was credited for the violin solo, and I'm wondering if it's the same J-Pop MIZ that a decade age sung the intro song to Grandia 3. Can't tell for sure online. She's really the only J-Pop artist I know by name, having enjoyed a couple of her albums after hearing that Grandia 3 theme.

Anyway, the game was a so-so experience. I was never too invested in the story. Guess now after playing Persona 3 Dancing and 4, I prefer the bland no-story of 3 better with all the challenges and how they made it all about the dancing. I probably danced as much in 4 total what I did in 1-2 hours of 3. Guess Persona 5 Dancing will be next when I get the urge to test my manual dexterity!

You should look into Crypt of the Necrodancer. It’s a good, very little story rhythm game. There’s only a small handful of cutscenes in the game, and those can be skipped entirely as you don’t need them for any sort of context.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I decided to start up the Collection of Mana, specifically starting with Trials of Mana. Admittedly this was the game that had me most interested in the collection thanks to the fan translation and it genuinely looking interesting when watching some gameplay years ago, but hey, I was just happy we actually got it. Thanks Square Enix.

I started up with Duran, Angela, and Charlotte. I had to laugh the my starting dude Duran not only has a father named Loki, but also the big bad he went to fight was the Dragon Lord. I don’t know what I should be more afraid of, the fact the dad is named Loki or that the Dragon Lord invaded a new world after he was supposedly defeated in DQ1. Maybe it’s his grandson from DQ2...🤔

 

Anyway, I know very little about the game other than that certain characters share a villain, so if anyone else had played the game PLEASE don’t suggest stuff and let me figure out the game as I go. I enjoy figuring out stuff for myself and want to know as little as possible about the game. It’s been on my SNES/Super Famicom must play list for a long time now, and I’m looking forward to finally experiencing the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally finished off the D level of the Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious place. The world wants to nuke it. The people say I'm now on the last level and we'll escape soon. So... I expect I may be close to halfway done because no way in any version of these demons' hells do I believe this is near the end.
@YangustheLegendaryBandit is going to make fun of me for this, but honestly I've never paid attention in SMT games (of which really I've only played one other) to alignment. I just figured out this morning why my demons names were in blue, red, or white. Yep, that'll help in battles now.

24 hours in
6aac132747d09a895a8ec9eb764fc236.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I decided to start up the Collection of Mana, specifically starting with Trials of Mana. Admittedly this was the game that had me most interested in the collection thanks to the fan translation and it genuinely looking interesting when watching some gameplay years ago, but hey, I was just happy we actually got it. Thanks Square Enix.

I started up with Duran, Angela, and Charlotte. I had to laugh the my starting dude Duran not only has a father named Loki, but also the big bad he went to fight was the Dragon Lord. I don’t know what I should be more afraid of, the fact the dad is named Loki or that the Dragon Lord invaded a new world after he was supposedly defeated in DQ1. Maybe it’s his grandson from DQ2...🤔

 

Anyway, I know very little about the game other than that certain characters share a villain, so if anyone else had played the game PLEASE don’t suggest stuff and let me figure out the game as I go. I enjoy figuring out stuff for myself and want to know as little as possible about the game. It’s been on my SNES/Super Famicom must play list for a long time now, and I’m looking forward to finally experiencing the game.

My starting team was almost the same. I had Riesz, Angela, and Charlotte. Always good to have Charlotte on a team.

I hope you get to enjoy the game as much as I did. Seriously loved the hell out of it. Easily one of the best SNES era RPGs I have ever played.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Twinkie said:

My starting team was almost the same. I had Riesz, Angela, and Charlotte. Always good to have Charlotte on a team.

I hope you get to enjoy the game as much as I did. Seriously loved the hell out of it. Easily one of the best SNES era RPGs I have ever played.

It’s been pretty good so far. Right now I’m looking for the Gnome elemental. I’m glad Charlotte and Angela can still deal some decent physical damage, but when I have Angela use the light element attack she has, oh baby, that deals some good damage for only 2 MP!

When you played, what stats affected Charlotte learning spells? I’ve increased her Spirit and that earned her a healing spell, but when I increased her Dexterity at one point she suddenly learned how to remove status ailments. Do you remember if new spells were learned after obtaining a new element, or do certain stats affect what a character learns?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/30/2019 at 9:00 AM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

It’s been pretty good so far. Right now I’m looking for the Gnome elemental. I’m glad Charlotte and Angela can still deal some decent physical damage, but when I have Angela use the light element attack she has, oh baby, that deals some good damage for only 2 MP!

When you played, what stats affected Charlotte learning spells? I’ve increased her Spirit and that earned her a healing spell, but when I increased her Dexterity at one point she suddenly learned how to remove status ailments. Do you remember if new spells were learned after obtaining a new element, or do certain stats affect what a character learns?

Charlotte's spells have a spirit requirement to learn spells. So you need to dump points into them for her to learn more. I believe that some stats do still increase if you don't put points into them. For her 2nd ability that cures effects is only one spirit higher then the healing. Spirits (elementals) are also required. But her first two spells are from the first spirit you get. So it is a combination of both.

Edited by Twinkie
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Twinkie said:

Charlotte's spells have a spirit requirement to learn spells. So you need to dump points into them for her to learn more. I believe that some stats do still increase if you don't put points into them. For her 2nd ability that cures effects is only one spirit higher then the healing. Spirits (elementals) are also required. But her first two spells are from the first spirit you get. So it is a combination of both.

Ah, ok. I wasn’t sure if the game increased some other stats as well. It was giving me a Shin Megami Tensei vibe where you usually only gain any stat boosts from the point (or points) you earn and can use at level up. I’m guessing when I can eventually job class change, stats will change with it.


In game, I now have the 2nd elemental, Gnome, and am about to leave the kingdom of Valsena again. I’m curious about the kingdom attack Valsena as well as why Angela was essentially exiled from it. I can see why having her and Duran in the same party is a good idea, as there has been some extra dialogue since they have ties to the characters  and places that keep being mentioned. Seems it’s the same case with Kevin/Charlotte and Hawkeye/Rietz for the other paths the game apparently has.

I think I’m also starting to get the hang of the combat. Switching to Angela real quick so she can charge up a spell and then going back to Duran to lay on physical damage means quick button presses but it’s really fun actually. I wasn’t sure about the combat since I’m not used too used to Action RPGs, but I think I’m starting to figure out what I can do and what to watch for.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

 I’m guessing when I can eventually job class change, stats will change with it.

Not sure how much you wanna know about the classes and stats.  Marking as spoiler in case but to answer that. 

Spoiler

When you class up, you get the maximum stats of the previous class automatically. The maximum stats is different depending on the classes you pick. So you have room to experiment with stats and such. They really won't mean much until your final class change.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Twinkie said:

Not sure how much you wanna know about the classes and stats.  Marking as spoiler in case but to answer that. 

  Reveal hidden contents

When you class up, you get the maximum stats of the previous class automatically. The maximum stats is different depending on the classes you pick. So you have room to experiment with stats and such. They really won't mean much until your final class change.

 

I won’t be clicking on that spoiler, but will keep it in mind when changing classes finally comes up. Thanks for whatever info is in there. I’ll open it (hopefully) soon.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I now have 3 of the elementals and have saved the castle of Laurent. It’s interesting to see how the different playable characters I didn’t choose still have a part to play in the story. The two bosses in a row in the castle was not fun to deal with though. I’m pretty sure the 2nd one counter attacked all my spells with a specific attack, but I’m not 100% sure. Either way, 2nd boss was harder than the 1st of the two in a row.

Anyway, back in the town of Palo and getting ready to find the next elemental. I have to laugh that as soon as you go back to the town after freeing it, a little baby bird just starts following you around for no reason. It’s kind of funny and cute the game has that.

 

Edit: Welp, guess I know have half of them! Ended up earning the 4th one in a surprise encounter when trying to reach a new location. Now I’m on the volcano island. We’re moving right along, ladies and germs.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I now have 3 of the elementals and have saved the castle of Laurent. It’s interesting to see how the different playable characters I didn’t choose still have a part to play in the story. The two bosses in a row in the castle was not fun to deal with though. I’m pretty sure the 2nd one counter attacked all my spells with a specific attack, but I’m not 100% sure. Either way, 2nd boss was harder than the 1st of the two in a row.

I didn't have much problems with that second encounter. But that first one... oh man. Was I hitting my head against a wall with that one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Twinkie said:

I didn't have much problems with that second encounter. But that first one... oh man. Was I hitting my head against a wall with that one. 

Funny, we had the opposite experiences then. I thought the first boss in the castle wasn’t so bad. I couldn’t figure out if killing the summoned monsters was what actually defeated the boss or if it was a combination of both, but either way Angela became my MVP in that fight.

The boss on the ghost ship took a bit of time to kill, but that’s because I had to rely on Holy Bolt for damage. I haven’t worked on increasing Charlotte or Angela’s strength, so their physical damage isn’t so hot. Duran had to sit the fight out due to story reasons on the ship, but at least Angela was doing 100 damage every time she used Holy Bolt. I did have a few battle items Charlotte could use, but once those ran out she was only doing like 5 damage with her physical attacks. Hopefully at some point she’ll gain some attack spells of some kind.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's time for me to start Dragon Quest VII. I'm just about to finish up Jedi Fallen Order and I've taken enough of a break from DQ games. I'll be playing it on 3DS and it's the last one I need to beat in the main series, I got around 13 hours in the first time I played and stopped.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I think it's time for me to start Dragon Quest VII. I'm just about to finish up Jedi Fallen Order and I've taken enough of a break from DQ games. I'll be playing it on 3DS and it's the last one I need to beat in the main series, I got around 13 hours in the first time I played and stopped.
So not even to class changes?

It's 50/50 if you're going to have a great time with it, but I hope so!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

I think it's time for me to start Dragon Quest VII. I'm just about to finish up Jedi Fallen Order and I've taken enough of a break from DQ games. I'll be playing it on 3DS and it's the last one I need to beat in the main series, I got around 13 hours in the first time I played and stopped.

 

32 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

So not even to class changes?

It's 50/50 if you're going to have a great time with it, but I hope so!

 

Go in with patience in mind. DQ VII is AMAZING, especially on 3DS, but patience gets you to a point of true appreciation of the game. 

 

The game is long. Like WAY long. But it is also an absolute treasure. I'm excited to hear about your experience with it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Plattym3 said:

So not even to class changes?

It's 50/50 if you're going to have a great time with it, but I hope so!

I think I got TO the class changes. The last thing I remember about the story was with the robots in the castle or something and the scientist was doing something with one in his house?

Edited by DrippySlimeStar
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I think I got TO the class changes. The last thing I remember about the story was with the robots in the castle or something and the scientist was doing something with one in his house?

Oh man, was he EVER doing something!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

I think I got TO the class changes. The last thing I remember about the story was with the robots in the castle or something and the scientist was doing something with one in his house?

You were close to Alltrades by that story. There’s one more story after that and then it’s off to the Alltrades plot.

DQ7 is a long game, but it has some of the best town/island stories in the series (in my opinion). I love the game to death, but if you listen to the Slime Time podcast you probably heard all about that in the episode I was on. 😜

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
You were close to Alltrades by that story. There’s one more story after that and then it’s off to the Alltrades plot.
DQ7 is a long game, but it has some of the best town/island stories in the series (in my opinion). I love the game to death, but if you listen to the Slime Time podcast you probably heard all about that in the episode I was on.
I don't think I've quite put it this way in either DQ7 podcast I've been on, but DQ7 is like a dozen great RPGs, 8 good ones and 4 Meh ones all encompassed in one awesome package! Again, won't rehash our earlier musings, but if you put in the time, there's payoffs along the way as well as at the end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...