cprmauldin

What RPG's are you currently playing?

So, for the first time ever, I connected my Switch to the TV last night to play some Battlechasers. Wow, good graphics!!!!

I'm giving Battlechasers just a little bit of priority because I want to have it beaten around the release of DQ XI for Switch. Not guaranteed to have it beaten before, but hopefully within a week or two of the release. 

• Like 1

Currently playing FF8 remastered. I finally beat disk 1, over the weekend.

Not really playing much video games, lately, though- mostly due to burn out, and lack of free time. 

I’ve picked up Trails of Cold Steel 2 again. I didn’t to set the game aside for so long, but since getting my Switch I was pretty much glued to that system, and well, since me and Nintendo go way back I wasn’t too concerned with playing on any of my Sony systems for quite some time.

In Cold Steel 2, I finished up the Nord Highlands section of Act 1 and am now back in Ymir. Rean’s Dad is finally feeling better and is able to speak with everyone again, and once the current Rest Day is over it will be off to the Legram region to find the last three members of Class VII: Emma, Laura, and Jusis.

I’m really glad Falcom games offer in game journals that record all you have done so you can quickly check to see what’s going on/what the last thing you did was. For me not having played the game in nearly 3 months, that was really handy to check the journal and go “Ah, so that’s what I need to do next.” Very helpful feature for a long RPG like the Legend of Heroes games.

I also forgot how much the characters have changed over the course of the two games. It’s great to see how the writers at Falcom were able to show the growth of the characters from CS1 to 2, as I’ve got moments just today where I remembered how they once were. They really nail character development and keeping you invested in their stories, that’s for sure.

I'm all but done with Slime Mori Mori 3. The final boss is a rediculous gauntlet of 3 battles culminating in a ship battle that I may be 4-5 hours away from grinding to victory on. Not sure if I'll do that any time soon.

Got a review code for Ni No Kuni on the Switch today, so that instantly becomes priority. Need to write my Super Neptunia RPG Dumpster fire review this weekend and get started with NNK. Should be interesting comparing the first part to what I did with the DS version earlier this year.

11 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I’ve picked up Trails of Cold Steel 2 again. 

I'm hoping by winter I'll be able to get back to Trails of Cold Steel 1. September and October have some games releasing for me and I'm sure November will have at least Pokémon or Star Wars. Then January has Tokyo Mirage and Dragon Ball Z.

I was hoping my copy of Ni no Kuni would get here today but it looks like it won't. Oh well. I could pop in my PS3 copy if I really needed my fix tonight but I can wait another day.

• Like 1

Battlechasers and Diablo III. Still. 

I estimate another two weeks MAXIMUM to have Battlechasers completed. I'm taking my time a bit on it, not to the point of a true completionist, but I am definitely taking my time to smell the roses. I feel like I lost my love of taking time to enjoy a game lately and have just been trudging through. I am working on correcting that, and will definitely be taking my time with DQ XI when I get it for the switch. 

And I am doing the same thing with D3. I am absolutely having a blast making sure I check out every little corner of every single environment and dungeon, and finding some decent gear that way too. I have even taken time to make sure I find armor that isn't just good statistically, but also aesthetically pleases me. At times, this requires transmogrification. 

• Like 1

Just beaten all three major paths in Trials of Mana, as well as being officially done with The Collection of Mana. Trials of Mana is easily the one of the best SNES era games I have played. I also accidentally discovered the overflow glitch with Trials of Mana's super boss that ended the fight in 15 seconds. Oops. I fought it legitimately and I don't understand why people had troubles with it. Some claiming you had to grind 20+ levels for it.

Now that is out of the way. Guess I will just play multiplayer games and watch anime until Friday.

• Like 1

Ni no Kuni came in yesterday. I had the biggest smile on my face the whole time but I forgot how much back tracking there is in the beginning and how long it actually takes to get into your first battle though lol.

Edited by DrippySlimeStar

Ni no Kuni came in yesterday. I had the biggest slime on my face the whole time but I forgot how much back tracking there is in the beginning and how long it actually takes to get into your first battle though lol.
There's. So. Much. Walking.

3 hours ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

Ni no Kuni came in yesterday. I had the biggest smile on my face the whole time but I forgot how much back tracking there is in the beginning and how long it actually takes to get into your first battle though lol.

There’s plenty of backtracking. If I remember correctly, there are only about...seven villages and cities to go to? And you revisit most of them a few times.

1 hour ago, eal said:

There’s plenty of backtracking. If I remember correctly, there are only about...seven villages and cities to go to? And you revisit most of them a few times.

Yeah there's not many places but I love 'em all.

I'm at 30 hours on Battlechasers. 

I'm on ACT II of Diablo III

I got DQ XI: S  from Amazon but will not start it until I finish Battlechasers. 

On 9/24/2019 at 12:47 PM, eal said:

I make the rounds between all of them after each new plot point because new sidequests open up and DAMN, the cumulative rewards from those are GREAT!

2 hours ago, cprmauldin said:

I'm at 30 hours on Battlechasers.  

According to HLTB, you're about done: https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=30017

According to my colleague, you're far away: https://rpgamer.com/review/battle-chasers-nightwar-review/

I played quite a bit of Dragon Quest 3 on Switch over the weekend. I think I played it more than Ni no Kuni, it's just more relaxing sitting in the living room playing something than cooped up in my side room upstairs.

20 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

I make the rounds between all of them after each new plot point because new sidequests open up and DAMN, the cumulative rewards from those are GREAT!

According to HLTB, you're about done: https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=30017

According to my colleague, you're far away: https://rpgamer.com/review/battle-chasers-nightwar-review/

Interesting. 

I'm trying not to be in a rush with it, since I've been rushing through too many games lately and not taking the time to really enjoy them. That being said, I would like to have it beaten within the next few weeks as I would like to get going on DQ XI - S. 

Ugh I can't keep playing Ni no Kuni. It's finally done what EarthBound has in my repeat playthroughs of that. They're both some of my favorite games but I remember them so fondly for their endings but forget everything before. I'm not in the mood to go through it all again. I'm worried about the same happening for Dragon Quest XI-S, especially with it being the most recent out of the games listed that I've finished. I should just leave my favorite games be...this is why I don't replay things. Now if you'll excuse me I have to go play Dragon Quest III, my favorite in the series, on the Switch. How many times have I started this on different consoles after finishing it on GBC?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

Ugh I can't keep playing Ni no Kuni. It's finally done what EarthBound has in my repeat playthroughs of that. They're both some of my favorite games but I remember them so fondly for their endings but forget everything before. I'm not in the mood to go through it all again. I'm worried about the same happening for Dragon Quest XI-S, especially with it being the most recent out of the games listed that I've finished. I should just leave my favorite games be...this is why I don't replay things. Now if you'll excuse me I have to go play Dragon Quest III, my favorite in the series, on the Switch. How many times have I started this on different consoles after finishing it on GBC?

I wouldn’t write off playing old games again because of one bad experience. Pokémon Pinball Ruby & Sapphire became one of my favorite games after a replay. I certainly did not have strong feelings for it in the past.

4 minutes ago, eal said:

I wouldn’t write off playing old games again because of one bad experience. Pokémon Pinball Ruby & Sapphire became one of my favorite games after a replay. I certainly did not have strong feelings for it in the past.

Yeah I think I just have to give it a rest. I was so caught up in "oh my god my favorite game ever got remastered I have to replay it right nooooowwwww". There's plenty of other stuff to play and it'll always be there and special to me. Like...I know everything that happens so it's not gonna get spoiled for me. 

8 minutes ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

Yeah I think I just have to give it a rest. I was so caught up in "oh my god my favorite game ever got remastered I have to replay it right nooooowwwww". There's plenty of other stuff to play and it'll always be there and special to me. Like...I know everything that happens so it's not gonna get spoiled for me. 

I think you were just getting yourself too hyped up, honestly.

17 minutes ago, eal said:

I think you were just getting yourself too hyped up, honestly.

Oh absolutely. There is no in between with me. I'm either playing what I want right this second or the game in question might as well not even exist.

4 hours ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

It's finally done what EarthBound has in my repeat playthroughs of that.

There are certain parts of Earthbound where I go “Oh god, this part,” when I replay it, but I still love the game and have replayed almost every summer since 2009. I think it was because of the similar gameplay Earthbound and Dragon Quest have that when I got into the mainline DQ games in 2010 I took to them like a fish to water.

Heck, one of the parts I used to hate about Earthbound was actually pretty enjoyable on my playthrough this summer. When you go to Moonside and only have Ness and Jeff, you feel that lack of PSI power without Paula in tow. But I found I was able to get through the area much easier, took my time more, and managed to clear it without feeling like I had to be on my toes the whole time.

Now as for the Fourside Mall when Paula is taken away...yeah, #$*! that part. I hate that tiny portion of the game with a passion because of those damn enemies in that “dungeon.” Thank goodness you can totally destroy the Department Store Spook super quickly if you bought a Big Bottle Rocket or 2 for Jeff.

I get it. I'm nearing 20 hours in DQXI S and it's been a bit of a struggle. Sure it's all new in 2D, but I find myself skipping dialogue because I already know & just trying to speed through areas (as much as the high encounter rate will allow me, I've not purchased as many Holy Waters in a DQ game in my life) that aren't interesting. I never replay anything but DQ and even then a long time later. 1 year isn't long enough for my brain apparently.

3 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
12 hours ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

I get it. I'm nearing 20 hours in DQXI S and it's been a bit of a struggle. Sure it's all new in 2D, but I find myself skipping dialogue because I already know & just trying to speed through areas (as much as the high encounter rate will allow me, I've not purchased as many Holy Waters in a DQ game in my life) that aren't interesting. I never replay anything but DQ and even then a long time later. 1 year isn't long enough for my brain apparently.

I played a bit the beginning in 2D last night but I think I'm going to pick up my 3D save and play it that way. I'll get my fill of 2D from the Tockle stuff and enjoy the best Dragon Quest in it's amazing 3D world. Playing in 3D will also make swapping between 3 and 11 easier.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Plattym3 said:
20 hours ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

Man, I hope I do not run into these feelings with my Switch playthrough of DQXI. I was hoping to take my time even more through the game, since I only spent about 80 hours on my first playthrough on the PS4. 

Anyways, DQ XI is still sitting on the shelf while I play Battlechasers. I'm at like 35 or 36 hours. I have urges to rush through to get to DQ XI, but I am fighting them to be sure I enjoy the game. And I am, in fact, enjoying it very much. It actually continues to impress me, and I may even do a little Den review of it, since none of you guys have played it yet. 

Also playing Diablo III here and there, just to keep my interest in it up.