cprmauldin

What RPG's are you currently playing?

Put 3 hours into P5 last night, up to 7 now. Apparently I'm a little more than halfway to the end of the first dungeon. Wanna kick that PE teacher's ass!

And 27ish hours into Octopath Traveler. Loving it. Power leveled and can probably take out all the Chapter 2 stuff pretty quickly at this point although I've only done 2 of them.

The difference between the games is striking. Persona 5 is so bright and SO SO MANY things are going on on the screen at once, it's almost too much! While Octopath Traveler is a much duller color scheme and monsters and my people slowly duking it out.

13 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

And 27ish hours into Octopath Traveler. Loving it. Power leveled and can probably take out all the Chapter 2 stuff pretty quickly at this point although I've only done 2 of them.

I picked Octopath back up now that I have finished Breath of the Wild, where did you do your grinding for the Chapter 2 stuff, that is about where I am at

I picked Octopath back up now that I have finished Breath of the Wild, where did you do your grinding for the Chapter 2 stuff, that is about where I am at
I went west first and then north to the chapter 3 and even 4 towns, stealing purple chests from high level areas by using the lower enemy encounters rate skill and just running. Got a lot of magic attack power up items.

Did the grinding by the town furthest East, along the water. I was fighting frogs and birds giving 300+ to 500+ exp per battle. Having a hunter with the game's equivalent of Rain of Pain was easy to knock them silly in the first round and then elemental attack them to death.

2 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

I went west first and then north to the chapter 3 and even 4 towns, stealing purple chests from high level areas by using the lower enemy encounters rate skill and just running. Got a lot of magic attack power up items.

Did the grinding by the town furthest East, along the water. I was fighting frogs and birds giving 300+ to 500+ exp per battle. Having a hunter with the game's equivalent of Rain of Pain was easy to knock them silly in the first round and then elemental attack them to death. 

Sounds good, I will have to give that a try :thumbsup:

Still Chugging away with DQ XI as my primary game. Nearing the 50 hour mark and I have absolutely no complaints. I'm not sure if I've praised it yet, but I am very impressed with the number of save points in the game. It's nice knowing that I'll never have to go more than 45 mins to an hour without coming across a spot I can save the game, in case I need to go do something else. While it's a minor detail, to me, it's huge. 

I've also picked Etrian Odyssey Untold back up, and have been playing it, mostly on-the-go. I was able to pick right back up where I left off and It's just as much fun as I remember it. 

• Like 1

No change for me. DQ XI and EO: Untold without either getting as much time as I would like.

Posted (edited)

FINALLY! Time to play Trails of Cold Steel II! Woohoo! Got home from work and found the PS4 version waiting in the mail! After a long (and rather shitty) day, this is just what I needed. Looking forward to spending another 100+ hours in Erebonian Empire again and see where the heck the story goes next!

Edit: Ha! The character Celine has the same voice actress as Laxia von Roswell from Ys 8. I guess this actress has a knack for playing helpful, high class female companions who help the main character when it comes to Falcom games!

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 1

Well, so far Cold Steel 2 has been pretty sweet. Looks like Platty’s guess from elsewhere that it would take me a long time just to get out of the Prologue was right, because I’m moving pretty slowly! Got a good 2 hours in and am almost done exploring the town of Ymir, Rean’s hometown. I’m glad we finally got to see this place in game, and it’s really interesting to see where the main character hails from. The look of the mountains reminds me of my European trip back in 2012, particularly in Switzerland and it’s huge mountain ranges.

Anyway, I’m liking the improved character animations, the new music, and the nice carry over bonuses from playing and completing the first game. Characters animate very well now (some were really stiff in the first game), and actually getting some nice rewards for going the extra mile with the first game is so nice to see! And there’s been dialogue that references some of my choices from the first game, such as becoming a Red Angler fisherman and getting Rank A0 at the academy. Honestly, stuff like that needs to be in games more often.

Anyway, I’m really glad I can finally continue the story of Cold Steel. I have a feeling it will be a long game since I love to read all the dialogue and explore every nook and cranny, but with how much I ended up loving the first game I think the second game will be just as awesome, if not more so!

• Like 1

My age is catching up to me. I swear I posted here yesterday.

Finished up the main game of Octopath Traveler. Really enjoyed it, but I'm not sure if I'll do the postgame. I really didn't spend much time at all grinding to get through all 32 chapters, so I'm not sure if I'm ready to do so for the postgame. There were plenty of hints near the end what the post game is, and I'd expect the final final optional boss is rediculously difficult. I'm good with it, it was an excellent experience.

Been playing 33 hours of Atelier Lulua recently. Speed rushing it a bit as I leave for vacation in 6 days minus the PS4 and this is a game I got for review. I'd have to say the first 20 hours was slog until I opened some gameplay systems and finally learned others and now I'm really enjoying it. Like, Octopath Traveler level enjoying it! Just finished in chapter 8 of 11 this morning, so the end is in sight!

Posted (edited)

Finished the prologue of CS2. Definitely took longer than 2 hours @Plattym3, but it was an interesting ride the whole time. A lot of stuff happens in the prologue, and I’d hate to be someone jumping into CS2 without playing the first game. That would be really confusing with some of the stuff that went on and the characters who show up!

I have to question what the hell happened to Rufus Alberea and where he’s at now in this civil war. He was a hard character to read, and frankly he still is. There’s another character I wonder why she’s doing what she’s doing, but the game has strongly hinted already she’s, in her own words, “a wicked witch.” Couldn’t have said it better myself!

What awaits in chapter 1? Probably a whole lot of death. At some point this game is going to get all J.K. Rowling up in here and half the characters are just going to die for now real reason. It may not happen in chapter 1, but it’s coming.

In the meantime, I came across this. It’s a translation of the Ymir Vacation trip Class VII takes in the first game. It’s mentioned at the start of chapter 7 of the game, but was apparently cut from the game due to time constraints. Luckily XSeed translated the Drama CD of the trip Falcom made, so I think I’ll be reading this since Rean and a feel other characters made mention to it and events that happened on the trip while playing through the prologue of CS2. 

www.trailsofcoldsteel.com/cs2/memoirs1.html

Ok, so I’ve barely been able to play Cold Steel 2. Thankfully today I managed to get a few hours in since I was able to leave work early (long story short, had to work a really long shift early in the week and got to leave earlier than planned today so I didn’t go over 40 hours) and got a few things done in game!

Instead of chapters like the first game, the game seems to be an act by act structure. Seems like Act 1 is going to be about reuniting with Class VII. After some cutscenes Rean and Toval ended up in the Celdic region, and after seeing what’s become of the area I reunited with Machias, Elliot and Fie! Hooray!

While the area is one from the first game, there are quite a few changes to the Celdic region. For one thing, a lot of the roads that were originally out of bounds for the field study are now open for exploration, the landscape has taken on a more subdued, brownish look to reflect the winter season (it being a farmland region I noticed this right away since I’m from Iowa), and there are new enemies and a new “overworld,” theme while exploring.

Honestly, I’m digging the attention to details and the story moments. The cutscenes of Rean reuniting with some of his classmates were well done and emotional scenes, and you can tell Sean Chiplock (Rean’s voice actor) was putting his all into his lines.

Now it’s time to head for the Twin Dragon Bridges and see if the group can meet up with the 4th Division of the Imperial Army and reunite Elliot with his dad who leads it.

Posted (edited)

I’m so glad I was able to spend a good chunk of today playing Cold Steel 2. I managed to finish the Celdic part of Act 1, joined forces with Captain Claire, and am now in the Nord Highlands to find the next 3 classmates.

The game is doing a good job showing the conflict between the two factions of the civil war. After crossing the Nord Highlands on foot for awhile (which takes FOREVER, thank god that was only temporary) you see the power struggle between the two. I’ll be curious when the “trump card,” of the Noble Faction decides to pop up...

Really loving the game an awful lot. It’s a top notch sequel for sure.

• Like 1

Brought only my Vita and Switch on vacation and the Switch mainly for the kids. Forcing myself to beat DQ Builders this summer. And I swear we've been here on vacation 60ish hours now and damn if I haven't played 10+ hours already. Just about to finish up Chapter 2 which will bring me close to where I ended my original try years ago on PS4. I've done SO much more exploring this time around, handheld is just how I roll! Found lots of other stuff in Chapter 1 like a slime resident named Splatrick I enjoyed talking to. Also, I don't think I ever realized how many side quests there are in this game. I'm going so much slower doing everything every resident asks of me. I swear I've got so many more blueprints than I ever did before. Really loving this game and sad I didn't give it a decent chance all those years ago or in the years I've had it on Vita. Might be too burnt out on the concept to play Builders 2 on launch, but I've now convinced myself I'm more of a fan of the genre.

Posted (edited)
On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 10:36 PM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

FINALLY! Time to play Trails of Cold Steel II! Woohoo! Got home from work and found the PS4 version waiting in the mail! After a long (and rather shitty) day, this is just what I needed. Looking forward to spending another 100+ hours in Erebonian Empire again and see where the heck the story goes next!

Edit: Ha! The character Celine has the same voice actress as Laxia von Roswell from Ys 8. I guess this actress has a knack for playing helpful, high class female companions who help the main character when it comes to Falcom games!

I would love to play the first game and I've almost bought it a few times but haven't gone through with it. I'm so stuck in handheld games right now it's hard for me to sit down for a 100+ hour JRPG, plus I've heard it's a slow starting game. The setting and concept seem great for me but I'm just not ready to commit to it yet.

Also just started Chrono Trigger on DS last night. Idk what it is but playing things on a DS Lite makes them feel so much better. I'm actually excited to get back to it after work and I've never clicked with it our gotten far before.

Edited by DrippySlimeStar

47 minutes ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

I would love to play the first game and I've almost bought it a few times but haven't gone through with it. I'm so stuck in handheld games right now it's hard for me to sit down for a 100+ hour JRPG, plus I've heard it's a slow starting game. The setting and concept seem great for me but I'm just not ready to commit to it yet.

Also just started Chrono Trigger on DS last night. Idk what it is but playing things on a DS Lite makes them feel so much better. I'm actually excited to get back to it after work and I've never clicked with it our gotten far before.

You could always get the Vita versions of Cold Steel 1 and 2. Then you could play them on a handheld.

You could always get the Vita versions of Cold Steel 1 and 2. Then you could play them on a handheld.
I did the first on Vita and will do the second there as well. It's a bit slow sometimes, but excellent series all-around!

31 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
42 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I did the first on Vita and will do the second there as well. It's a bit slow sometimes, but excellent series all-around!

I might end up doing that cause, like Yangus said, that way I could play them handheld as I've been preferring recently.

42 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

It might even be cheaper that way. Do you lose much by going with the older Vita version?

1 hour ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

I might end up doing that cause, like Yangus said, that way I could play them handheld as I've been preferring recently.

It might even be cheaper that way. Do you lose much by going with the older Vita version?

The main benefits of the PS4 versions are a constant 60 FPS (in very select areas this isn’t the case), 4K graphics on a Pro, all DLC is included (item and cosmetics DLC), extra English recorded audio from the Steam release and Japanese language tracks, and a turbo mode to double the speed of the game.

Truthfully you’ll be set with the Vita originals. I bought the PS4 versions because I wanted to play them on a console instead of a handheld, but after playing Cold Steel 1 on my PS4 I was hooked. To me they work better as a console game experience since I like playing a good long RPG on my TV, but the Vita version of 1 was a good time for as long as I had played it. I eventually bought the Vita versions since I found them for a good deal, and whenever I go on a trip they’ll make for good reading since Falcom games have tons and tons of text! Haha

If you like the Vita versions you can transfer your save data to the PS4 version (but not the other way around), so if you do end up getting the PS4 versions down the road you can make a copy of your saves and transfer them to the PS4 and play on there too.

So TL;DR - You’ll be just fine with the Vita versions. You won’t have access to some of the perks of the PS4 version, but the games are still very good on the Vita.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

The main benefits of the PS4 versions are a constant 60 FPS (in very select areas this isn’t the case), 4K graphics on a Pro, all DLC is included (item and cosmetics DLC), extra English recorded audio from the Steam release and Japanese language tracks, and a turbo mode to double the speed of the game.

Truthfully you’ll be set with the Vita originals. I bought the PS4 versions because I wanted to play them on a console instead of a handheld, but after playing Cold Steel 1 on my PS4 I was hooked. To me they work better as a console game experience since I like playing a good long RPG on my TV, but the Vita version of 1 was a good time for as long as I had played it. I eventually bought the Vita versions since I found them for a good deal, and whenever I go on a trip they’ll make for good reading since Falcom games have tons and tons of text! Haha

If you like the Vita versions you can transfer your save data to the PS4 version (but not the other way around), so if you do end up getting the PS4 versions down the road you can make a copy of your saves and transfer them to the PS4 and play on there too.

So TL;DR - You’ll be just fine with the Vita versions. You won’t have access to some of the perks of the PS4 version, but the games are still very good on the Vita.

I totally forgot about the cross save feature! Maybe I can get a cheap Vita copy and if I fall in love with it I can upgrade to the PS4 version. In the end I might just get the PS4 version since I played games like DQ XI and Ni no Kuni, both long RPGs on my TV and loved them I'm just in a handheld mood recently and not ready to fully commit to a TV RPG. Thanks for all your help!

It's new territory, boys!

Passed into the 2nd portal, the land of snow in Chapter 3, the Kol region in Dragon Quest Builders. This is officially farther than I made it on PS4 3 years ago and I'm having an absolute blast. Sadly, it seems my parents may not make it to the family vacation home this summer due to an unexpected surgery, but everyone's fine and just my wife and kids up here has been relaxing and gives me 3-4 hours daily to play! Silver lining I guess!

Damn that end to Chapter 3 was intense. Those bums at my base didn't help all that much. So many battles at the end of the chapter leading up to the final boss left only 2 proper rooms standing in the city. I didn't really get the hang of that mine car thing at all and it took 4 or 5 attempts to beat the final boss.

Been plugging away at Chapter 4 pretty well. I feel like every night I sit down to play at 9 or 10pm and the next thing I know it's 1:30am. Haha. So good, that Dragon Quest Builders!

It's going down today! Lost the 2nd part of the battle on the first try and a low battery and life will postpone a 2nd attempt until later today. But. I. Shall. Win. 9c82acb8042e0dec76c82a16c3027386.jpg791c8012b7b5f078d725895f1b9542d1.jpg

On 6/18/2019 at 12:39 PM, Plattym3 said:
On 6/18/2019 at 12:28 PM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Picked up a Vita copy today. I'll give it a try once I get through Chrono Trigger.

• Like 1