cprmauldin

What RPG's are you currently playing?

While waiting (up to 2 weeks) for Octopath Traveler to be delivered, I jumped at the chance to get a review copy of SteamWorld Quest.  Have heard good things about the series, but wasn't ever interested.  This game (I think they threw the "Quest" in there for a reason) is a turn-based affair that looks pretty cool with a card system that... well, who knows yet.  I've only ever played with cards implemented in that Kingdom Hearts GBA game, which honestly I didn't like without the cards, so we'll see how it does in a battle system I prefer.

Beat Hyperdimension Neptunia U: Action Unleashed last night.  That was a fun little Musou-sytle game.  I did enjoy it!

Chapter 5 progress in Cold Steel has been good. At the start of the chapter you get two new party members, Crow and Millium, and both are welcome additions. Crow makes a good support character and has the most personality of any character in the game thus far (though that might be my favoritism towards him but SHHHHHH) and Millium’s cheery personality and strength in battle is another welcome addition. I wish Crow went with Group A for the chapter’s Field Study, but no dice.

The new town for the Field Study, Legram, reminds me of my time in Scotland when I was on my England trip I mentioned a few posts back. My uncle, cousin, and I went to Scotland (in the town of Edinburgh) for one weekend during the trip, and man, that was a cool place. The old buildings and architecture, Edinburgh castle, the heavy amount of mist in the morning and evening hours...not gonna lie, the town of Legram really reminded me of that trip from 10 years ago. So I’m taking back what I said about Heimdallr: Legram is my favorite town of the game.

(Also it helps the town has a really good theme tune. Very relaxing yet playful, showing the strong connection the town has with the spirits of the lake and woods.)

Story wise, I’m now getting ready to go to the old castle across the lake. Two boys from the town have disappeared, and it’s up to us meddling kids and our dumb dog (let’s go with Jusis) to find them! Prior to that, the chapter has had some really good moments, especially on the world building department. The discussions on the Bracer Guild and the nobility were actually kind of interesting, the former moreso due to my experience with Trails in the Sky. It’s strange how the guild is essentially black listed in Erebonia save for very specific locations like Legram.

Posted (edited)

Finished up chapter 5. The part at Garrelia Fortress was pretty good, but honestly I was really annoyed with what the follow up was for the scene that was cut off way at the beginning of the game. Basically the intro of the game has you experience the last bit of chapter 5 up to a certain point, then cuts it off when the obviously dangerous weapons are fired. I was EXTREMELY disappointed by how lackluster the full reveal for that scene was handled. Thank god the events after that in chapter 5 were pretty good, not to mention the chapter boss was fun to fight, because I was honestly really disappointed. It was one of those times I said, “Oh #$*! you game!” out loud, though I suppose I’m glad the characters who would have gotten hurt didn’t. As much as I didn’t like that story scene, it did make me concerned for the characters who would have suffered thanks to the writing and relieved they were (potentially) going to be fine.

I’ve started chapter 6, and while I’m meh on the classes getting ready for some festival thing, exploring the schoolhouse is as good as always. Might try and level up some of the characters I haven’t used as much. I’m wondering what the big reveal of the place will be, but I’m guessing it will take one more chapter before there’s an answer.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 1

I’ve finished up chapter 6 in Cold Steel. Things are getting pretty heated story wise, that’s for sure. With how things were playing out towards the halfway point of the chapter, it makes me think of those scenes where a twit snaps and chaos just ensues.

One thing I’m really noticing about the game the farther it goes: regular battles, pretty easy. Boss battles, freaking insane. Probably standard fair for an RPG, I know, but man, bosses take quite a while to kill and have quite a few nasty tricks. The final bosses of this chapter have been the most difficult ones by far. It’s essentially giving me Etrian Odyssey boss vibes in terms of challenge: you need a good synergy plan to stay ahead of the boss(es) and play smart. Otherwise, it’s going to be a rough ride...

That said, man, I realized just how powerful Elliot can be. His power with Arts (or magic) is really high, and thanks to his default Master Quartz he can recover his HP and EP no problem from battlefield wide multiple enemy hitting Arts. You have to get his Master Quartz leveled up for that perk, but man, he absolutely helped me out with the final boss of the chapter.

Overall, chapter 6 was pretty stellar. While I was meh about the first half of it, the field study portion in the city of Roer was excellent. This game keeps getting better and better, and I hope the final chapter (or chapters?) end the game on a high note. I can’t wait to see what happens next!

Posted (edited)

Well the 7th floor of the Old Schoolhouse was really unexpected. Like, straight out of left field unexpected. I figured Cold Steel was going to have a surprise 7th floor, but not something like that. Good surprise for a final dungeon since I wasn’t expecting that. I can only wonder what the hell is going to be at the end of it.

Ah well. The festival stuff was kind of neat, and I like how each attraction you can go to lets you choose one party member or major NPC to join you, making each character have something unique to say. I know that because I tested it with a few characters each. I gotta say, the fact Falcom goes to lengths like that with the writing gives them my respect. For a game with tons and tons of text, doing extra touches like for all those characters is awesome.

It was also funny to see different NPCs from the past chapters exploring the festival. It’s like the ending of Paper Mario where all the NPCs from the game show up at Peach’s Castle to celebrate! So many familiar faces.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

I managed to finish Trails of Cold Steel. It was a fun ride (even though it technically took me over a year to actually finish the damn game), but I’m glad I stuck with the game as it just kept getting better and better. The ending makes me super curious what’s going to happen next in Cold Steel 2.

I really liked the soundtrack for the game (though truth be told I’ve liked every Falcom soundtrack I’ve heard), the writing was actually pretty good as was the world and character building, gameplay was fun though on the easy side with some bosses being a surprisingly difficult challenge, and the rewards you can earn by going the extra mile in game were super rewarding, especially if you’re a bit of a completionist like me.

Definitely glad I stuck it out with the game and finally completed a damn Trails of game. Definitely going to play Cold Steel 2 in the future and plan to finish up Trails in the Sky 1.

• Like 1

Well, well; I'm currently replaying Mazes of Fate for the Gameboy advance, a wonderfully lesser known title which is a unique combination of 1st person dungeon crawling and dungeons and dragons-esque roleplaying mechanics! It's also unique in that it was developed by an Argentinian game studio. ^_^

Got a review copy of the new Switch title, SteamWorld Quest. I absolutely loved it. Awesome battle system and the characters all had some serious issues to deal with under the sometimes silly & formulaic story. It was visually beautiful and just a really fun game I couldn't put down. Seriously, I bought a grip for my Switch because long nights spent playing this left with me aching hands in the morning!

https://rpgamer.com/review/steamworld-quest-review/

• Like 1

I preferred Dig 1 and 2 myself.

Right now I'm going inbetween Diablo 3 and BotW. I have some other stuff on the Switch but those are taking it for me.