cprmauldin

What RPG's are you currently playing?

Well, don't like JRPGs too much and want to hear from someone who doesn't either?  Kotaku has you covered!  Which of these that you played in 2018 do you disagree with?

He loved builders, which I haven’t tried yet, but I liked Minecraft 5 years ago so maybe I’ll give it a try. I agree on Octopath that game was #$*!, I’m sorry. Haven’t played the rest.

3 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Well, don't like JRPGs too much and want to hear from someone who doesn't either?  Kotaku has you covered!  Which of these that you played in 2018 do you disagree with?

Ni no Kuni II: One of my top games of 2018. It was a fun game to play through and was happy to platinum it. Him complaining about the easy difficulty of DQ11 below is hilarious when NNK2 is by far the easier of the two. 

Lost Sphear: Didn’t play it. Probably will like it as much as I am Setsuna and just go “meh.”

Octopath Traveler: Haven’t played it, but really want to since I loved Bravely Default and Second. Seems like the RPG experience I’m a fan of.

Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology: Have it, but haven’t played it yet. I liked the original.

Dragon Quest Builders Switch: Haven’t played it, but I’d imagine I’ll love it as much as Builders on PS4/Vita.

Secret of Mana Remake: Haven’t played it, probably won’t.

The Alliance Alive: Enjoyed this one, and after playing Suikoden 1 & 2 this year I can see similarities in the writing/characters. Gameplay was fun, just got distracted by DQ7 3DS again. 😂

Dark Souls Remastered: First time playing the original Dark Souls, enjoyed most of it, but parts of the game are rough. Glad I played it and will probably replay it, but Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3.

Dragon Quest XI: My favorite new game of 2018 and one of my top 5 DQ experiences. Put in about 210 hours by the time I got the platinum.

Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom: Never heard of it.

Sega Genesis Classics: Was only aware of it because of Facebook. Never grew up on Sega systems/games but I’d probably enjoy the Phantasy Star games.

Some of that guy’s comments were just:

B2F89FF3-47E6-4D9B-AB13-E210B2BC47F5.jpeg.f7e5e551f50d85dd543fe080650ba6d1.jpeg

Two Phantasy Star games down, 2 more to go.  Unfortunately one of them is the under-budgeted and sloppily executed Phantasy Star 3: Generations Of Doom.  This was the first Phantasy Star game I actually got around to playing, after reading so much of the first two in gaming magazines at the time.  It... still holds value, especially in nostalgia, for me, but it's the odd one out of the series for several reasons.

So I got Kingdom Gearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue for Christmas. Will have to get around to that. I currently have everything neccesary to be ready for Kingdom Hearts III at my finger tips.

• Like 1

Started The World That Never Was in Kingdom Hearts II. It's such a cool world, I love the aesthetic. Also got the Final Form that looks awesome in battle. Also beat Xigbar, Saix, and that other guy with the cards who's name I can't remember.

As for my progress in Dragon Quest XI, I just made it to Phnom Nonh last night.

Edited by TheKingOfTheDragovians

1 hour ago, TheKingOfTheDragovians said:

Started The World That Never Was in Kingdom Hearts II. It's such a cool world, I love the aesthetic. Also got the Final Form that looks awesome in battle. Also beat Xigbar, Saix, and that other guy with the cards who's name I can't remember.

As for my progress in Dragon Quest XI, I just made it to Phnom Nonh last night.

The fella you're referring to is Luxord, and he was a favorite of mine, as well.  The World That Never Was is pretty awesome.

With that I have beaten Kingdom Hearts II. I'll play Birth by Sleep next. Though I think I might go back and try Chain of Memories again. I disliked it, but I'll give it one more chance. I'm no sure how close I'll come, but I want to beat every KH game before 3 comes out next month. 

Here's my own hot take

On 12/24/2018 at 10:11 PM, Plattym3 said:

Ni No Kuni 2: Didn't play it. Heard it was pretty disappointing to a lot of people, and it doesn't sound like something for me, even if it looks as beautiful as the first one.

Lost Sphear: Unlike him, I didn't manage to play this to the end, but it's definitely incredibly forgettable. Or at least, it completely fails to be engaging.

Octopath Traveller: I'll agree it was a disappointment. It's a likable project that I really felt like I should play, but at the same time it feels a little too unambitious, and like it could have been a lot more than it was. Some really questionable design decisions in general, that make no sense for me. The game was repetitive, and it did feel like a chore. The soundtrack is amazing.

Radiant Historia Perfect Chronology: This game is almost entirely dialogue spread around constantly reused assets, and that dialogue is mostly terribly cringeworthy and extremely poorly written. There are some endearing aspects to the actual story, which made me carry on through, but overall I feel like I wasted my time. Calling it "one of the better JRPGs of this decade" is demeaning to the genre.

Dragon Quest Builders: Sure it does some things different than Minecraft, but there's no way you could make the claim that it's more like anything else more than Minecraft with a straight face. Come on. I really love what the game set out to do, but ultimately I think it felt short of that, end tended to feel like a prolonged tutorial. I'm really curious to see how much better the sequel will do that. The best part of the game was honestly the characters and dialogue. Endearing as hell.

Secret of Mana remake: It seems like this game apparently made everyone realise that they never liked Secret of Mana in the first place? I do love the original game (though SD3 is better in every way), but I thought this remake looked terrible, so even if it's being sold really cheap nowadays I still don't feel like buying it.

The Alliance Alive: Never heard of this.

Dark Souls: Does this count as a JRPG? No, no it does not. But I really liked this game.

Dragon Quest XI: For me this is the best "comeback" for the JRPG genre I could imagine. It's being sold like a classic old-school RPG, but I feel like this is proof that you can still make a solid modern JRPG like the ones that originally made me love the genre, without having do to either nostalgia throwbacks or "reinventing the genre". One of the best turn based battle systems I have ever tried, and it sticks to the books.

Monster Boy: Is this also a JRPG? Well, the Monster World series was always about putting RPG elements into platform games, but so many games do that nowadays that it doesn't mean a whole lot. Anyway, I really enjoyed this game, but if it's one of that guy's favourites of the year, then his standards are either really weird, or it's been a super terrible year. I consider this game's appeal to me more of a guilty pleasure mixed with a bit of nostalgia than a sign of any kind of genuine quality. This is also one of the buggiest games I have ever tried, and it should have probably sticked more to the puzzles than the action gameplay which it doesn't do well.

Sega Genesis Classics: Nothing says 2018 more than yet another cheap re-release of all of Sega's old 16-bit games once again.

Here's my own hot take
Ni No Kuni 2: Didn't play it. Heard it was pretty disappointing to a lot of people, and it doesn't sound like something for me, even if it looks as beautiful as the first one.
Lost Sphear: Unlike him, I didn't manage to play this to the end, but it's definitely incredibly forgettable. Or at least, it completely fails to be engaging.
Octopath Traveller: I'll agree it was a disappointment. It's a likable project that I really felt like I should play, but at the same time it feels a little too unambitious, and like it could have been a lot more than it was. Some really questionable design decisions in general, that make no sense for me. The game was repetitive, and it did feel like a chore. The soundtrack is amazing.
Radiant Historia Perfect Chronology: This game is almost entirely dialogue spread around constantly reused assets, and that dialogue is mostly terribly cringeworthy and extremely poorly written. There are some endearing aspects to the actual story, which made me carry on through, but overall I feel like I wasted my time. Calling it "one of the better JRPGs of this decade" is demeaning to the genre.
Dragon Quest Builders: Sure it does some things different than Minecraft, but there's no way you could make the claim that it's more like anything else more than Minecraft with a straight face. Come on. I really love what the game set out to do, but ultimately I think it felt short of that, end tended to feel like a prolonged tutorial. I'm really curious to see how much better the sequel will do that. The best part of the game was honestly the characters and dialogue. Endearing as hell.
Secret of Mana remake: It seems like this game apparently made everyone realise that they never liked Secret of Mana in the first place? I do love the original game (though SD3 is better in every way), but I thought this remake looked terrible, so even if it's being sold really cheap nowadays I still don't feel like buying it.
The Alliance Alive: Never heard of this.
Dark Souls: Does this count as a JRPG? No, no it does not. But I really liked this game.
Dragon Quest XI: For me this is the best "comeback" for the JRPG genre I could imagine. It's being sold like a classic old-school RPG, but I feel like this is proof that you can still make a solid modern JRPG like the ones that originally made me love the genre, without having do to either nostalgia throwbacks or "reinventing the genre". One of the best turn based battle systems I have ever tried, and it sticks to the books.
Monster Boy: Is this also a JRPG? Well, the Monster World series was always about putting RPG elements into platform games, but so many games do that nowadays that it doesn't mean a whole lot. Anyway, I really enjoyed this game, but if it's one of that guy's favourites of the year, then his standards are either really weird, or it's been a super terrible year. I consider this game's appeal to me more of a guilty pleasure mixed with a bit of nostalgia than a sign of any kind of genuine quality. This is also one of the buggiest games I have ever tried, and it should have probably sticked more to the puzzles than the action gameplay which it doesn't do well.
Sega Genesis Classics: Nothing says 2018 more than yet another cheap re-release of all of Sega's old 16-bit games once again.
Rude. Alliance Alive has heard of the Den. 28bf4a4d4af26daa805a3fe16b234971.jpgbee2cefe948ca4ca0b4fb4b0543d9c96.jpg

My hot takes no one actually cares about:

Ni no Kuni II: Didn't play it. After the lackluster combat system of the first game coupled with the stupid AI, trying to progress got infuriating after a while. Visually pleasing though. I like looking at it, just not playing it.

Lost Sphear: I loved Lost Sphear. It's very retro, which is my aesthetic. It doesn't need a gold standard story like so many people think it needs. The baseline story is 100% acceptable. I like the combat system/Equipment upgrading and enjoy the artifacts that you place on the world to help you with combat. Trying to find certain items for the restaurateurs at the Inns was probably the only part that made me sigh.

Octopath Traveler: I played about 10 hours of the demo through one of the character paths. I loved the combat, and I enjoy the visuals. It's how I imagined next gen games would look when I was a kid playing the NES in the 80s.

Radiant Historia: Lots of Time Traveling, Trying to figure out the next thread was fun at times, not so much at other. I liked the combat system a lot here as well. Made you think.

Dragon Quest Builders: I've put a lot of time into this game. Building stuff is fun, but making it Dragon Quest themed made it so much better. Minecraft has nothing on this.

Secret of Mana Remake: I enjoyed it. I've played both the remake and the original version. It's completely acceptable.

The Alliance Alive: I loved this game. The whole character cast, combat, world, music. Everything about this game is very cozy to me.

Dark Souls Remastered: I only like Dark Souls when I can play with a friend. I don't much care for it otherwise.

Dragon Quest XI: This is my personal game of the year. I'm probably halfway through the game now, and so far it's rivaling Dragon Quest 5 for my favorite DQ game. We'll see how the game ends before I make any further decisions on that front.

Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom: I had never heard of this one.

Sega Genesis Classics: I bought this on the PS3 solely for the Phantasy star games.

34 minutes ago, Bururian said:

Didn't play it. After the lackluster combat system of the first game coupled with the stupid AI, trying to progress got infuriating after a while. Visually pleasing though. I like looking at it, just not playing it.

The amount of people who praise the game in the Facebook group Platty and I run is staggering sometimes. Yet whenever I watch gameplay of the PS3 version we got, it doesn’t seem all that great.

• Like 1

The amount of people who praise the game in the Facebook group Platty and I run is staggering sometimes. Yet whenever I watch gameplay of the PS3 version we got, it doesn’t seem all that great.
@Bururian, don't know if you've seen my excitement all over, but the original Japanese DS version of Ni No Kuni got a fan translation earlier this month. I'm so so exited to try it and it's purely turn-based battle system.

8 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
26 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

@Bururian, don't know if you've seen my excitement all over, but the original Japanese DS version of Ni No Kuni got a fan translation earlier this month. I'm so so exited to try it and it's purely turn-based battle system.

Oh good. I'll have to give that a go since I have a flash cart for my DS.

26 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I don't get it either. It looks nice, but it stops there.

3 hours ago, Bururian said:

My hot takes no one actually cares about:

Ni no Kuni II: Didn't play it. After the lackluster combat system of the first game coupled with the stupid AI, trying to progress got infuriating after a while. Visually pleasing though. I like looking at it, just not playing it.

Lost Sphear: I loved Lost Sphear. It's very retro, which is my aesthetic. It doesn't need a gold standard story like so many people think it needs. The baseline story is 100% acceptable. I like the combat system/Equipment upgrading and enjoy the artifacts that you place on the world to help you with combat. Trying to find certain items for the restaurateurs at the Inns was probably the only part that made me sigh.

Octopath Traveler: I played about 10 hours of the demo through one of the character paths. I loved the combat, and I enjoy the visuals. It's how I imagined next gen games would look when I was a kid playing the NES in the 80s.

Radiant Historia: Lots of Time Traveling, Trying to figure out the next thread was fun at times, not so much at other. I liked the combat system a lot here as well. Made you think.

Dragon Quest Builders: I've put a lot of time into this game. Building stuff is fun, but making it Dragon Quest themed made it so much better. Minecraft has nothing on this.

Secret of Mana Remake: I enjoyed it. I've played both the remake and the original version. It's completely acceptable.

The Alliance Alive: I loved this game. The whole character cast, combat, world, music. Everything about this game is very cozy to me.

Dark Souls Remastered: I only like Dark Souls when I can play with a friend. I don't much care for it otherwise.

Dragon Quest XI: This is my personal game of the year. I'm probably halfway through the game now, and so far it's rivaling Dragon Quest 5 for my favorite DQ game. We'll see how the game ends before I make any further decisions on that front.

Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom: I had never heard of this one.

Sega Genesis Classics: I bought this on the PS3 solely for the Phantasy star games.

I care! Here's mine!

Ni No Kuni 2 / Lost Sphear / Dark Souls Remastered / Monster Boy:  Have not played these.  I'm interested in and own Ni No Kuni 2, but that's about it for these.

Octopath Traveler:  I've done all but beat the grand finale, and I will attempt a few more times before the year is out.  It really does look the way old games "felt" like they looked.  Like that's what was going on in my head when playing FF6 or Chrono Trigger.

Radiant Historia Perfect:  Loved the original, and this is the definitive, best version I've seen so far.  I love it, but had not finished it before getting distracted by...

Alliance Alive: This is what I wish Legend Of Legacy would have been in the first place, and even though I haven't completed this one either, it's on the bucket list.

Dragon Quest Builders: A tricky thing. I love it, but at the time I played it on the PS4, my husband got ahead of me and I got the game spoiled for me as a result.  I may duoble-dip and get the Switch version to finish it sometime.  Same thing happened with large portions of...

Dragon Quest XI:  I've come to the conclusion I simply can't race my mate through a PS4 game... all I can do is wait my turn.  He works more hours than I do, so I usually defer to him when the PS4 is wanted by both.  It's my generous nature, even if it means I miss out on a few hits we have common love for.  Again, will make time for the Switch Ver, when it launches.

Secret Of Mana Remake:  Been playing this in multiplayer with my husband and a good friend of ours.  We haven't made time for it in a long time, but it's perfectly cromulent. :)

Sega Genesis Classics: Bought this for Phantasy Star AND Shining Force.  The REAL Phantasy Star and the REAL Shining Force.  I'm afraid the newer iterations do not appeal to me at all.  One of my current gaming goals is to play every Phantasy Star game on my Switch, starting earlier this month with Phantasy Star SEGA AGES version.  I'm on Pt.3 now.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

It’s more for the story honestly. It goes places. I could take or leave the combat.

Edited by eal

25 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

@eal At this point, I should just wait for P5R.

P5R? You mean the rumored remake? I think people have been calling it P5 Crimson. I actually hope they don’t do it. The only really good edition they could make would be making Hifumi as a party member instead of a Confidant. It came out really recently though. I’d rather get Persona 5 Arena. There’s supposed to be an announcement for Persona coming in April so it must be something substantial. They wouldn’t announce an...announcement four months ahead of time if it was a Persona Pachinko machine.

30 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

@eal At this point, I should just wait for P5R.

Their announcement today that another announcement was happening in March 2019 was pretty funny, I’ll be honest.

And you might as well. One thing Atlus has done for 90% of their games are remakes/updated ports on other consoles, so it’s only a matter of time before Persona 5 gets one. It’d be easier to count which games from Atlus haven’t had this happen.

4 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Their announcement today that another announcement was happening in March 2019 was pretty funny, I’ll be honest.

And you might as well. One thing Atlus has done for 90% of their games are remakes/updated ports on other consoles, so it’s only a matter of time before Persona 5 gets one. It’d be easier to count which games from Atlus haven’t had this happen.

I wasn’t really browsing the Internet today. I was, ironically, playing Persona 3: Dancing in Moonlight all morning then went to see Spider-Verse. Did I miss some news about Persona?

EDIT: oh, they actually announced something called P5R and it had no mention of being a Switch game. R is probably the working title for “Remake” but the only good reason to make an enhanced version would be to port it to a mobile system the way they did for 3 (well, “altered” more so then “enhanced”) and 4. Also, I guess I got that announcement date wrong and it’s actually in March. 

Edited by eal

I wasn’t really browsing the Internet today. I was, ironically, playing Persona 3: Dancing in Moonlight all morning then went to see Spider-Verse. Did I miss some news about Persona?
P5R is coming to PS4. What it is, what it adds, really, any news... wait until March.

"Atlus has officially teased P5R, an upcoming project related to 2017’s Persona 5. The details of the project are currently unknown; the available information consists of a thirty-second teaser trailer and the p5r.jp teaser website, with both promising that more details will be released in March 2019."

5 minutes ago, eal said:

Just that they announced there will be another announcement for P5R in March 2019 and there is now a teaser site for the game. Just a 30 second trailer saying that.

I'm really surprised at how few (zero?) people had heard about Monster Boy.

I've been waiting 24 years for a sequel to this series.

1 hour ago, Sumez said:

I'm really surprised at how few (zero?) people had heard about Monster Boy.

I’ve heard of monster girls...:wink:

• Like 1