What RPG's are you currently playing?

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dragon Quest III iOS. Ready for EO Untold II.

10/10 picture. You can get a lot of funny pictures in the 3DS version. Shame DQ11S’s camera mode feels so limiting by comparison.

OK, I have a good three hours clocked in FFIX now, so it's time for first impressions!   -I love this game. In this short time of playing, I'm already having a blast, and I'm sure it'll only get be

Posted Images

7 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I should probably start Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology, The Alliance Alive, or SMT Strange Journey Redux.

Absolutely Strange Journey. I'm literally at the final boss of Radiant Historia right now, and it's a terrible game. I don't know why I played it till the end. I guess I wanted to be able to pass judgment on it, without missing some important advances to the plot or something.

edit: Never played Alliance Alive, it might be good :)

Edited by Sumez
5 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

More or less depending on how much you do. ff2cc91acaaa2e14046eaa4ee9ac7a0f.jpg

See, I’m fine with these times. One thing I’m not a huge fan of in RPGs nowadays is how long they can take to complete. I’m not against an 80-100 hour RPG; after all, Dragon Quest VII is one of my favorite RPGs. But....we need more that are 30-40 hours.

Makes it easier to go back and replay them. Probably explains why I replayed various Mario RPGs a lot when in school, and eventually Dragon Quest IV DS when I got it.

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

See, I’m fine with these times. One thing I’m not a huge fan of in RPGs nowadays is how long they can take to complete. I’m not against an 80-100 hour RPG; after all, Dragon Quest VII is one of my favorite RPGs. But....we need more that are 30-40 hours.

Makes it easier to go back and replay them. Probably explains why I replayed various Mario RPGs a lot when in school, and eventually Dragon Quest IV DS when I got it.

I agree!  Chrono Trigger can be played through main story from start to finish in 20-30 hours, and it's' considered the pinnacle of it's era in design.  We simply don't have time in our lives for every video game to take 60-100 hours to finish.

I also like that you'll be playing Alliance Alive.  I left that game aside early due to distraction ( happens a lot to me, as you well know), but would gladly go back to it, to buddy up and compare notes. Know that I'll likely be splitting time twixt that and DQ11. 

(rambling post incoming)

If you can stomach the random stat and skill gains in this type of game, Alliance Alive is a great choice.  The game feels a lot more fleshed out and complete than Legend of Legacy. 

I think I personally prefer a story be given a bit more generously than Legend of Legacy or Dark Souls, which both leave you breadcrumbs to piece together through the hours of gameplay.  Nothing wrong with that, for others, but I prefer full slices of toast (Mmm...toast).  Even the lovely Etrian games give you more to go on, if not in overall narrative, then certainly in worldbuilding.  The only reason I put Souls and Legacy in the same sentence, is that they share the idea of a sparse world in which you are largely isolated, and the story of that isolation comes to you in tiny snips you discover yourself.   Etrian at least has a livelier town, even if it's explored mainly through menus and boxes of text.  It soars over Legend of Legacy and it's full graphics, to me, because the things that Legend of Legacy has to say are so sparse and, frankly, uninteresting.

The point of all this rambling is  Alliance Alive nails the narrative and worldbuilding that Legend of Legacy floundered on.  It's no Etrian or DQ, but I think you'll like it better than LoL at least.  Nice bite-sized RPG.  Sorry for getting longwinded.  I'm gonna go trim down my sig as a result.  :D

I started The Alliance Alive last night. It definitely goes for more narrative right off the bat compared to Legend of Legacy (not that I minded the lack of story in the last game, mind you) and already has some real improvements on combat gameplay, the placement of party members and how it affects them, explanation menus for just about everything thus far...FuRyu thankfully stepped it up.

The only thing I find lackluster is how you just end up in a new chapter with no fanfare or notification of some kind. In the RPGs I’ve played that go chapter by chapter, you get at least some kind of notification you’ve made it to the next chapter. I had no idea I even got to chapter 2 until I saved at one point.

I can see the music being hit and miss with players, but if you know Masashi Hamauzu’s work you’ll know whether you will enjoy the music or not. I enjoy his style, and so far I’ve liked the music.

• Like 1

Retstarted Tales of Destiny (PS1)

FINALLY starting DQ XI latter today, it's been a LONG wait.

At night, when I don’t have the energy to play DQ XI anymore, I’ll pick up Pokémon Yellow, a game from a gen that I’m thoroughly familiar with despite never actually beating a single one of the original games (I’d always stop at the Elite Four because I couldn’t be bothered), so it’s easy to just go through the whole thing without focus.

Anyone who thinks this game is hard is crazy. I’ve exclusively used the starters with the addition of a Nidoqueen and a Kadabra I stumbled on by accident and have just plowed through the whole thing. Not a single gym battle has posed a threat. Surge only has one damn Pokémon for the love of God! You can beat all of the rival’s Pokémon easily with just Pikachu and the starters.

At night, when I don’t have the energy to play DQ XI anymore, I’ll pick up Pokémon Yellow, a game from a gen that I’m thoroughly familiar with despite never actually beating a single one of the original games (I’d always stop at the Elite Four because I couldn’t be bothered), so it’s easy to just go through the whole thing without focus.
Anyone who thinks this game is hard is crazy. I’ve exclusively used the starters with the addition of a Nidoqueen and a Kadabra I stumbled on by accident and have just plowed through the whole thing. Not a single gym battle has posed a threat. Surge only has one damn Pokémon for the love of God! You can beat all of the rival’s Pokémon easily with just Pikachu and the starters.
Definitely not hard. Tedious more than anything else. Little things like menu navigation take so much time in Gen 1, no running, bag limitations, etc. etc.

I’m up to chapter 7 in Alliance Alive, just over 5 hours in. I now have control of Vivian and Ignace, so the story has shifted focus to an entire new group of characters. Again, some more importance towards the progress of chapters would have helped give a bit more oomph to the changing of playable characters.

I only hope when I get back to controlling Galil and Azura, they won’t be far behind on HP/SP compared to everyone else.

Also I hope I get Barbarosa back in the party soon. He made for a great defender for the party when he was with Galil and Azura.

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I’m up to chapter 7 in Alliance Alive, just over 5 hours in. I now have control of Vivian and Ignace, so the story has shifted focus to an entire new group of characters. Again, some more importance towards the progress of chapters would have helped give a bit more oomph to the changing of playable characters.

I only hope when I get back to controlling Galil and Azura, they won’t be far behind on HP/SP compared to everyone else.

Also I hope I get Barbarosa back in the party soon. He made for a great defender for the party when he was with Galil and Azura.

If I remember, there should be no problem with scaling when you get them back.  I like the Vivian and Ignace party, and I also agree Barbarosa is a great guard.

I get what you're saying about the chapters, but the chapters are so tiny, they'd need to be longer in order for them to be better defined.  Otherwise, you'd get a new title card and fanfare every 5 minutes or so.

45 minutes ago, The Dog of Zahan said:

If I remember, there should be no problem with scaling when you get them back.  I like the Vivian and Ignace party, and I also agree Barbarosa is a great guard.

I get what you're saying about the chapters, but the chapters are so tiny, they'd need to be longer in order for them to be better defined.  Otherwise, you'd get a new title card and fanfare every 5 minutes or so.

I’ve even take the game just having a little pop up saying “Chapter #: Title of Chapter,” in the upper corner somewhere. Just a little something would be nice.

Anyway, I now have Tiggy in the party. The tank she uses for combat...that’s hilarious. She seems like a fun, eccentric character, and having her in the party as a foil to Ignace should be fun.

I need to figure out what party layout I want to use with this trio. I do wish there was the customization Legend of Legacy had where you could make custom tactics. Maybe this will change once I get a full party of 5, but for now we’ll see how Ignace does as the defender while Vivian and Tiggy attack.

Also, total side note, but my profile picture shall now be Robbins the penguin, a character from Alliance Alive, who Atlus loved using for the promotions of the game. I NEED this character in my party.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
7 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I’ve even take the game just having a little pop up saying “Chapter #: Title of Chapter,” in the upper corner somewhere. Just a little something would be nice.

Anyway, I now have Tiggy in the party. The tank she uses for combat...that’s hilarious. She seems like a fun, eccentric character, and having her in the party as a foil to Ignace should be fun.

I need to figure out what party layout I want to use with this trio. I do wish there was the customization Legend of Legacy had where you could make custom tactics. Maybe this will change once I get a full party of 5, but for now we’ll see how Ignace does as the defender while Vivian and Tiggy attack.

Also, total side note, but my profile picture shall now be Robbins the penguin, a character from Alliance Alive, who Atlus loved using for the promotions of the game. I NEED this character in my party.

I know, right?  Swan Song is hilarious, and gets funnier as time goes on. A mech designed to look like a cygnet, that...doesn't look like a cygnet...  eccentric genius indeed.

Robbins his funny and cute, too Little Mr. Penguin Knight.

How do you like the music, and such and also... I'm putting my next question under a spoiler tag, 'cause this time it's about something you have seen already, but other Alliance players may not have. 

(Me taking caution for spoilers?  You CAN teach an old dog new tricks...)

Spoiler

What'd you think when Azura got blinded?  I put her in the guard position for one of my formations, and named it "Daredevil" for reasons that should be quite obvious.

5 hours ago, The Dog of Zahan said:

I know, right?  Swan Song is hilarious, and gets funnier as time goes on. A mech designed to look like a cygnet, that...doesn't look like a cygnet...  eccentric genius indeed.

Robbins his funny and cute, too Little Mr. Penguin Knight.

How do you like the music, and such and also... I'm putting my next question under a spoiler tag, 'cause this time it's about something you have seen already, but other Alliance players may not have. 

(Me taking caution for spoilers?  You CAN teach an old dog new tricks...)

Reveal hidden contents

What'd you think when Azura got blinded?  I put her in the guard position for one of my formations, and named it "Daredevil" for reasons that should be quite obvious.

For the spoiler, I wondered if that was why you did that after certain events transpired. I honestly wasn’t expecting that event to happen either, especially to a main character that early on.

The music is good, but honestly I think Legend of Legacy had better music. AA’s (something something Alcoholic Anonymous joke) random battle theme is great, but the lack of hearing it while exploring the overworld and the first dungeon of the gears town was disappointing. I can also say I DO NOT like the gears town theme after hearing it on loop for so long. Why they thought it was a good idea to have it loop while on that dungeon and the battles in said dungeon was the worst idea.

31 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

For the spoiler, I wondered if that was why you did that after certain events transpired. I honestly wasn’t expecting that event to happen either, especially to a main character that early on.

The music is good, but honestly I think Legend of Legacy had better music. AA’s (something something Alcoholic Anonymous joke) random battle theme is great, but the lack of hearing it while exploring the overworld and the first dungeon of the gears town was disappointing. I can also say I DO NOT like the gears town theme after hearing it on loop for so long. Why they thought it was a good idea to have it loop while on that dungeon and the battles in said dungeon was the worst idea.

They do go to great lengths to hide the fate of that character in promotions, so I took the same care.

My favorite music is the intro theme ( and the very similar battle theme ) as well as the Guild Tower theme.  Hamauzu did some more unique things in TLOL though.  The use of backmasking and those odd  silent pauses in the forest theme for example.  Really conveyed some mystery and danger on your first trip to the wilds of Avalon.  I also do agree, the Gearsrock theme was rather overplayed at that point in the game.  I do enjoy the Rain Realm theme though, quite a bit.

You know what the music of Alliance Alive reminds me of? Spyro the Dragon music. The Fire/Volcano realm theme sounds like something you’d totally hear from a Spyro game.

Will have look up the tunes,  or have to take your word for it, I only played the demo of the first Spyro, long, long ago, and can't remember the music.  I remember Spyro 1 featured the Police's Stuart Copeland as composer, that's all.

Where this game shines over TLoL is in worldbuilding, character developement and character design.  The team refined what worked in the proof-of-concept TLoL and reiterated with TAA.

Liber, Eloise and Meurs were my party in TLoL, My current party in TAA is Galil, Azura, Ignace, Vivian and Renzo.  Still working out how you fine-tune your formations beyond swappling your teammate's locations on the grid.  I think this is a service of the Tactics Guild, later in the game? I have nothing but conjecture to base this on.

1 hour ago, The Dog of Zahan said:

I remember Spyro 1 featured the Police's Stuart Copeland as composer, that's all.

Stuart Copeland did the music for the PS1 trilogy of games, as well as the (awful game you should never play) Enter the Dragonfly.

After beating the final boss of Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology, it turned out the game would go on for another 10 hours of me having to consult guides to find sidequests that are required for the true ending, but absolutely obscure (like, you need to travel to a specific node in time and then walk back to a place that you came from - something the game normally doesn't even allow). Of all the dumb things in this game, the sidequests are probably the dumbest. I don't know why I keep playing this. I guess I just really don't want to leave it at unfinished business. 😕

Put the final blow on what is hopefully the last form of the True Last Boss on the train on the way to work this morning. Hopefully the game is finally over so I get to vent about how terrible it is.

Up to 8 hours now in Alliance Alive, almost to the end of the Pandemonium dungeon. So far the trio of Vivian, Ignace, and Tiggy have been my favorite, probably thanks to the comedic moments between the three of them.

The upgrades made to Tiggy’s power suit...wow, I thought it looked kind of funny before, but Diver Mode Swan Song looks even more ridiculous. Being able to cross lava is a nice bonus.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Up to 8 hours now in Alliance Alive, almost to the end of the Pandemonium dungeon. So far the trio of Vivian, Ignace, and Tiggy have been my favorite, probably thanks to the comedic moments between the three of them.

The upgrades made to Tiggy’s power suit...wow, I thought it looked kind of funny before, but Diver Mode Swan Song looks even more ridiculous. Being able to cross lava is a nice bonus.

For reasons I hesitate to explicitly name (but should be apparent), I enjoy them too, and the comedic interplay between the three is excellent.  I love how involved Tiggy and Vivian get in their smart talk, leaving poor Ignace befuddled and frustrated.  

Plus, I can now confirm where and when you get full power to edit your formations.  Past a certain point, your options go wide open, a adegree freedom I've reached, and almost find frightening after so long with the leash on. This sometimes happens... when a game opens it's options too much at once, it can leave one at a loss as to which order to proceed. I shall soldier on and persist.  I did it for Final Fantasy 6, I can do it for this.

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered the Golden Sun games off eBay. It had been a long time and I don’t have physical copies. I wanted them in the best condition. Got The Lost Age new and the original used but supposedly “mint”. 

The Lost Age arrived today and I’ve now played for about 2 hours. I love these games and wish the series could have gotten a proper ending after the third installment. Oh well. 

• Like 1

All other games are on the shelf, while I play Dragon Quest XI.

If I'm being realistic, with everything I have going on, I'll probably be completely dedicated to DQ XI until December or January. I want to have more time to put into it, I just freaking don't.

• 2 weeks later...