cprmauldin

What RPG's are you currently playing?

6 hours ago, eal said:

I made Platty a sexy cat girl in a bikini. Samurai class, since I needed another fighter. Her full name is Platena, with Platty being her nickname.

Meow. I'm honored! 

For the heck of it, here are the characters I've come up with in SoSC: Revisited.

My personal favorites are Galwin since I put in 2 Final Fantasy IV references via his name and nickname (probably easy to guess if you've played other Final Fantasy games were dwarves appear) and H.B. LeFool because the Jester looking guy had to have a ridiculous name.

The only one I do not like is Useless Phil. Seriously, who let this guy join my group? He can't do anything! YOU'RE DRAGGING ME DOWN, PHIL! I'M CALLING YOU OUT, PHIL!

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

3 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Humblin Bumblin LeFool is my favorite!

Not gonna lie, I'm pretty proud of that name. I was going to call him Tom Foolery just like the character from Dragon Quest IV, but then that his new name popped into my head!

3 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Weeb. 

But I hear the item management is good. 

I like it's leveling system.

Still plugging away at the Stranger of Sword City: Revisited demo. I'm rather surprised how lengthy this demo has been. After completing the first main mission, learning some techniques from Kyo (one of the other Strangers you meet), and going through some cutscenes, 3 new areas opened all at once that I can go to! I opted to start with the forest since it's just north of the first labyrinth.

I must say, the level layouts are big. The snow forest area has been a slower experience to get through, but after finding a warp stone about halfway through I'm at least able to get out quickly. I did find a good grinding spot right at the start of the labyrinth, which helped me get a few characters up in level.

It's odd how most battles are represented by skull marks on the map, though there are random encounters every now and then. Once you leave and re-enter the labyrinth, the battle points respawn, which was how I used a certain spot to train party members. The catch was that it's a spot where A LOT of enemies can show up, dragging the battle out. It's a risk versus reward situation, and thankfully I've managed to get the rewards most times.

One more thing while I'm thinking about it: this game has gotten me to switch my team members several times already. It's really important to keep party members alive, otherwise you have to hospitalize them, so when I've had to send off someone to the hospital I end up needing my others characters. Other than the Ninja and Cleric, I've used all the classes pretty evenly already, and have found a few combinations I like.

10 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

One more thing while I'm thinking about it: this game has gotten me to switch my team members several times already. It's really important to keep party members alive, otherwise you have to hospitalize them, so when I've had to send off someone to the hospital I end up needing my others characters. Other than the Ninja and Cleric, I've used all the classes pretty evenly already, and have found a few combinations I like.

Damn, that's not easy to do!

2 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Damn, that's not easy to do!

To be fair, characters at the guild gain EXP when inactive. I THINK the Freeman class helps with this, so making one is a really good idea!

For example, my Knight (the meatshield class of the game) had to be put in the hospital. When I went back to the guild after finishing off the first labyrinth, I went to check his status and it showed he was ready to level up. Same thing for several other characters I hadn't used yet. It's a handy feature of the game so you don't have to worry about training weak level 1 units up to catch up with the main party.

On 11/27/2017 at 7:13 PM, DarkBaramos said:

It's very good. I have about 200 hours on  it which consisted of around 15 playthroughs.

So far, I like it....when it works. :ws-slimedead:Dinosaur computer. I need a new video card to probably get past the paradox interactive bug I have. Game plays for about 15-20 minutes or so and hard freezes. I got it fixed for EUIV and Crusader Kings (drivers) which work well again, but it only allowed PoE to play.

NVIDIA sucks.

Game runs better than Heroes of Might and Magic VI however........

Edited by Red Dragon

Well, just did the dragon quest event in FF14. Really starting to feel the pain of not having DQ10 in the west now. But besides that, I love the king slime hat, and I am definately going to use the golem minion a lot. Kind of wish it came with a mount tho, I'd use that non stop. 

Oh, and I started playing red mage earlier this week, and I am really liking it. I still really like dragoon as well, but I might just stick with red mage as my main job. 

The Denizens guild is up to the 4th floor in Etrian 5. I've been trying not to play the game too much so I don't get burnt on this replay, as well as not getting burnt out on creative ideas to tell the story once I update my writing topic. So far been using Dragoon (Zenith), Harbinger (Dragovian), Masurao (Woodus), Shaman (Yangus), and Plattym (Necromancer). Now that I have the Memory Conch from the 3rd floor, it will be easier to level up non-active members. I plan to swap the party line-up around each Stratum.

I've been using the FM Synth soundtrack since the start of the playthrough, and it's very simplistic compared to the other FM Synth. That's not a complaint, as I appreciate how each FM Synth soundtrack is a littleness different from one another in terms of sound.

Also been trying to finish Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam. It's been slow going, but this game has done a good job with the humor. I've laughed out loud more times with this entry than some of the past M&L games.

I haven't played as much Pokemon this weekend...but I did get some solid hours in on the plane ride to and from Baltimore.

The game hasn't lost it's grasp on me.

The whole Poke Pelago thing has added some awesome content and has definitely been a time-sink for me. It's nice that the Pokemon in my box can be doing something while I'm out adventuring with my primary team.

I started playing FF5 last week, and I am enjoying it a lot more than my first run through the game. It might honestly replace FF4 as my 5th favorite game in the series.

1 hour ago, Emptilion said:

I started playing FF5 last week, and I am enjoying it a lot more than my first run through the game. It might honestly replace FF4 as my 5th favorite game in the series.

I really need to go back and play through all of the Final Fantasy games. I've only played III, VII, VIII and IX.

Do you have platform recommendations for the early titles?

25 minutes ago, cprmauldin said:

I really need to go back and play through all of the Final Fantasy games. I've only played III, VII, VIII and IX.

Do you have platform recommendations for the early titles?

If you can, play IV via the PSP version or the DS version. PSP version is the closest to the original but with several new features that were introduced to the GBA port (switching allies after a certain point, new bonus dungeons) as well as having a beautiful graphics overhaul and the ability to play with the original SNES soundtrack and other customizable features. PSP version also has the After Years, but...well, speaking as a hardcore Final Fantasy IV fan, don't worry about the after years too much and play it at your leisure.

The DS version meanwhile is a 3D overhaul with graphics reminiscent to the N64/PS1 era. It has an ability system that allows you to customize skills for the party, and for temporary characters it allows them to pass on their unique abilities to the full party, such as Edward (the bard) passing on his Bard Song and Salve abilities if you give him 3 abilities. Probably sounds a bit confusing, but in short, you give some abilities to allies, you'll get something in return.

The DS version is very tough, however. Your first run will be rough, but thankfully this version has a NG+ feature where abilities and the like carry over.

For V and VI, just avoid the PS1 versions. The SNES version is my preferred for 6 and the GBA version for 5, though I'd love to play the SNES version of 5 at some point with the fan translation it has.

15 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

If you can, play IV via the PSP version or the DS version. PSP version is the closest to the original but with several new features that were introduced to the GBA port (switching allies after a certain point, new bonus dungeons) as well as having a beautiful graphics overhaul and the ability to play with the original SNES soundtrack and other customizable features. PSP version also has the After Years, but...well, speaking as a hardcore Final Fantasy IV fan, don't worry about the after years too much and play it at your leisure.

The DS version meanwhile is a 3D overhaul with graphics reminiscent to the N64/PS1 era. It has an ability system that allows you to customize skills for the party, and for temporary characters it allows them to pass on their unique abilities to the full party, such as Edward (the bard) passing on his Bard Song and Salve abilities if you give him 3 abilities. Probably sounds a bit confusing, but in short, you give some abilities to allies, you'll get something in return.

The DS version is very tough, however. Your first run will be rough, but thankfully this version has a NG+ feature where abilities and the like carry over.

For V and VI, just avoid the PS1 versions. The SNES version is my preferred for 6 and the GBA version for 5, though I'd love to play the SNES version of 5 at some point with the fan translation it has.

Thanks for the advice!

The DS version sounds nice. I played the remake of FF III on the DS and loved it.

Also, sounds like I'll have to dust off the ol' PSP....haven't played it in probably 5 years.

26 minutes ago, cprmauldin said:

Thanks for the advice!

The DS version sounds nice. I played the remake of FF III on the DS and loved it.

Also, sounds like I'll have to dust off the ol' PSP....haven't played it in probably 5 years.

The DS version is made by the same team who made the FF3 remake, so if you enjoyed that you'll enjoy FF4's DS version.

I've played both several times (FF4 is one of my most replayed games) and honestly you can't go wrong with either version.

3 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

The DS version is made by the same team who made the FF3 remake, so if you enjoyed that you'll enjoy FF4's DS version.

I've played both several times (FF4 is one of my most replayed games) and honestly you can't go wrong with either version.

Good to know!

I'll price the game out on Amazon.

Yeah, the DS version of 4 is definately my favorite. Absolutely recommend it. 5 is in a bit of a difficult situation tho. The only great version of FF5 is the GBA version I feel like. The remake is just straight up unappealing visually. If that is not a problem to you, it plays great. The ps1/psn version on the other hand has a terrible translation, and some issues that make it difficult to enjoy. The GBA version is the most difficult game of the bunch to get your hands on. I have no idea how emulation works "never done it myself", but maybe you should play it that way. 5 has a very unique vibe for a final fantasy game. It kind of feels like a combination of final fantasy and dragon quest. I really enjoy it.

6 is my 2nd favorite game in the franchise after 9. And you should go for the GBA or the SNES version, and like Yangus, I too prefer the SNES version between those. The PS1 version is more appealing than the PS1 version of 5 imo, but it still isn't worth it if you can play one of the other two versions. And like 5, 6 also got a ugly remake. For the same reasons as 5, stay away from that one unless that doesn't bother you.

1 and 2 you should get on GBA or PSP. Both versions are very pretty in their own way, and they play fine. Well, 2's gameplay has problems by nature. You might even want to skip that one entirely. I still like the music and story enough to where I really enjoyed it, but most people consider this to be the worst game in the series.

5 hours ago, cprmauldin said:

Good to know!

I'll price the game out on Amazon.

3 hours ago, Emptilion said:

Yeah, the DS version of 4 is definately my favorite. Absolutely recommend it. 5 is in a bit of a difficult situation tho. The only great version of FF5 is the GBA version I feel like. The remake is just straight up unappealing visually. If that is not a problem to you, it plays great. The ps1/psn version on the other hand has a terrible translation, and some issues that make it difficult to enjoy. The GBA version is the most difficult game of the bunch to get your hands on. I have no idea how emulation works "never done it myself", but maybe you should play it that way. 5 has a very unique vibe for a final fantasy game. It kind of feels like a combination of final fantasy and dragon quest. I really enjoy it.

6 is my 2nd favorite game in the franchise after 9. And you should go for the GBA or the SNES version, and like Yangus, I too prefer the SNES version between those. The PS1 version is more appealing than the PS1 version of 5 imo, but it still isn't worth it if you can play one of the other two versions. And like 5, 6 also got a ugly remake. For the same reasons as 5, stay away from that one unless that doesn't bother you.

1 and 2 you should get on GBA or PSP. Both versions are very pretty in their own way, and they play fine. Well, 2's gameplay has problems by nature. You might even want to skip that one entirely. I still like the music and story enough to where I really enjoyed it, but most people consider this to be the worst game in the series.

I actually ended up going with the PSP version of IV. It was significantly cheaper on Amazon and I like the idea of giving my PSP some love. If for some reason I find it completely unplayable, I'll probably break down and buy the DS version anyways.

I also realized I have Final Fantasy Anthology for PS1, which includes V and VI.

...Looks like I may go on a bit of a FF kick here soon.

Of course, I still have to beat Pokemon UM, Fallout 4, and I ordered Dragon Quest Heroes II, which I'll throw in the mix.

7 minutes ago, cprmauldin said:

I actually ended up going with the PSP version of IV. It was significantly cheaper on Amazon and I like the idea of giving my PSP some love. If for some reason I find it completely unplayable, I'll probably break down and buy the DS version anyways.

I also realized I have Final Fantasy Anthology for PS1, which includes V and VI.

...Looks like I may go on a bit of a FF kick here soon.

Of course, I still have to beat Pokemon UM, Fallout 4, and I ordered Dragon Quest Heroes II, which I'll throw in the mix.

This shouldn't be a problem. You can adjust a few things to speed up battles, walking speed, etc. Putting my FF4 love aside, I think it's a game you'll enjoy, cpr. It (the 2D versions of FF4 anyway) has gameplay pretty similar to DQ games, just with active time battle rather than turn based.

The only real problem of 2D versions of FFIV is that the beginning portions are a little TOO easy. Once you reach Mt. Ordeals, things will begin to pick up in terms of difficulty.