cprmauldin

What RPG's are you currently playing?

South Park is great though. I like to think of it as a tactics RPG,what with the grid-based battles and all that. Character placement is a big factor there. Too many characters with range will screw you over when you all need 3 squares of range to attack freely, for example. Dialog also sees the characters play off one another quite often, riffing one another in mid-battle, for example.

What characters have you been using? From my experience, you can have a full party of ranged guys and not give a damn because of the way the various attacks work. For example, Human Kite can freely fire his laser even if a buddy is in the way.

I've just fought th eFreedom Pals for the first time.  I'm a Blaster/elementalist with the 3 fireball burning move, the fire shockwave, the ice trap and the onslaught ultimate. Team is me, Human Kite, Super Craig and Fastpass.

I like how we all line up and Craig hits up front, Fastpass hits from 2 away and Kite and I hit for three away.  I also love using burning and chill.  Shock helps too.

My artifacts are lined up to increase stat affliction damage, so I kinda DOT them to death.

What I really love about the game is the way it plays off some of the best episodes. The episodes where the kids are just being kids and mokeying around like the kids they are (The LOTR Episode, and "Good Times with Weapons" e.g.) are my favorites.   Also, by framing the games in the make-believe games the kids are playing, it taps a deep nostalgia vein for me, and the games I played when I was that age.

I've discovered something in Final Fantasy IX that makes me love playing as Quina even more now: Grand Dragons, one of the toughest random encounter monsters you can fight in the game, can be easily defeated by Quina's Level 5 Death spell. Not only does this mean easy EXP and ability points, but it means a good amount of gil per battle AND it will help strengthen Freya's Dragon Crest ability.

To quote Quina him/herself: "I....so happy...."

(Seriously though, this is an AWESOME trick to discover, especially to help catch up some characters in levels and ability wise at this point in the game. Like I said a few posts back, you learn something new with every replay!)

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Upvote 1

Well, after not having played an MMO in 11 years since I quit WOW I suddenly got the itch again, and I am now suddenly playing final fantasy 14.

There's a couple people playing 14 here. You all should get together and make a group.

That would be a good idea. I just quit WoW last month and just picked up FF14 as well.

South Park is great though. I like to think of it as a tactics RPG,what with the grid-based battles and all that. Character placement is a big factor there. Too many characters with range will screw you over when you all need 3 squares of range to attack freely, for example. Dialog also sees the characters play off one another quite often, riffing one another in mid-battle, for example.

What characters have you been using? From my experience, you can have a full party of ranged guys and not give a damn because of the way the various attacks work. For example, Human Kite can freely fire his laser even if a buddy is in the way.

I've just fought th eFreedom Pals for the first time. I'm a Blaster/elementalist with the 3 fireball burning move, the fire shockwave, the ice trap and the onslaught ultimate. Team is me, Human Kite, Super Craig and Fastpass.

I like how we all line up and Craig hits up front, Fastpass hits from 2 away and Kite and I hit for three away. I also love using burning and chill. Shock helps too.

My artifacts are lined up to increase stat affliction damage, so I kinda DOT them to death.

What I really love about the game is the way it plays off some of the best episodes. The episodes where the kids are just being kids and mokeying around like the kids they are (The LOTR Episode, and "Good Times with Weapons" e.g.) are my favorites. Also, by framing the games in the make-believe games the kids are playing, it taps a deep nostalgia vein for me, and the games I played when I was that age.

If I'm remembering correctly, your first bout with the Freedom Pals takes place before the first night mission. When you get the character on that mission, Super Craig will become damn near obsolete.

Also, don't ignore the Speedster class. It has a skill that, when used well, can be very powerful. If you feel like testing out other powers, go back to The Coon and Friends base and sit down across from The Coon. You can change out your powerset.

It's a shame Blue Reflection isn't coming for Vita here.

Doesn't that need your infamous Stamp of It's-not-coming-ness, Platty? :D

Eh, it's coming to PS4, so that's a grey area.
Like an enthusiastic virgin, it all ready came.

Almost a month ago. I, too, would've like to have gotten it on Vita but PS4 is just as well. It's strange, I was looking at the Vita section at GameStop yesterday and they have Drive Girls, Code: Realize, and Hyperdimension Neptunia. These low tier animu games that you don't expect to sell, yet games that would probably do well, like Blue Reflection, don't get a chance.

A bit late, but...

7e744cf53fc2bb94ca5696485aaffb09.gif

Well, after not having played an MMO in 11 years since I quit WOW I suddenly got the itch again, and I am now suddenly playing final fantasy 14.

There's a couple people playing 14 here. You all should get together and make a group.

Yeah, maybe. I am playing on a european server tho. I think my internet would sh** itself if I went to the American servers.

I'm on the Cactuar server myself.

I'm finally on disc 4 of Final Fantasy IX. The ending portion of disc 3 is pretty good, and I like how it ends with a boss gauntlet.

Disc 4 doesn't have a lot of story content, so I'm hoping I'll be able to finish the game today or at least before the end of the week. I thought I was going to have enough money and materials for the good stuff you can synthesize, but no, no I did not. Ah well, I need to catch Vivi up in levels and still to need to work on some abilities, so it's back to Grand Dragon fighting!

The one thing I'm dreading before I finish the game is facing off with Ozma again...I swear, if it takes as many attempts to defeat him as it did the first time I played FF9...

I am enjoying FF14 a lot. I picked a lancer, so I can turn into a dragoon later, which has always been one of my favorite jobs in the series (if not favorite). Very typical of me that I would choose this, becouse as I found out later, apperantly the stereotype for dragoons is that they die a lot, becouse some of their moves lock them in place. A lot of dragoon players don't seem to time this right. This has become a big meme in the community. But, I'll stick with it and try to get good at it.

But yeah, I am having a really good time. Not only is it a fantastic MMORPG, it is also a fantastic final fantasy game. This is what I want from the singleplayer games as well tbh. It pays tribute to older final fantasy games a lot, and it sticks with the classic technologic/medieval setting, but it still feels very unique. And like I said, it is also a fantastic MMORPG, so the gameplay part is also great.

I find it very interesting that this game is sandwiched between FF13 and 15, which were both pretty bad in their own way (and that is a very polite way of saying this compared to how I really feel), but I guess FF14 started out like that as well before Yoshi-P came in to save the day.

Six out of seven Celestial Weapons in FFX, all thats left is Kihmari's Spirit Lance. Then of course thats not the end, because then I need to track down all Crests and Sigils, and I am not looking forward to the Venus Sigil,  I know its not worth it, but it just doesn't feel right to be missing one sigil.

I am enjoying FF14 a lot. I picked a lancer, so I can turn into a dragoon later, which has always been one of my favorite jobs in the series (if not favorite). Very typical of me that I would choose this, becouse as I found out later, apperantly the stereotype for dragoons is that they die a lot, becouse some of their moves lock them in place. A lot of dragoon players don't seem to time this right. This has become a big meme in the community. But, I'll stick with it and try to get good at it.

But yeah, I am having a really good time. Not only is it a fantastic MMORPG, it is also a fantastic final fantasy game. This is what I want from the singleplayer games as well tbh. It pays tribute to older final fantasy games a lot, and it sticks with the classic technologic/medieval setting, but it still feels very unique. And like I said, it is also a fantastic MMORPG, so the gameplay part is also great.

I find it very interesting that this game is sandwiched between FF13 and 15, which were both pretty bad in their own way (and that is a very polite way of saying this compared to how I really feel), but I guess FF14 started out like that as well before Yoshi-P came in to save the day.

Dragoon death or solo was a meme in FFXI too.

I was one in FFXI and been a lancer since ARR started, though the only time I die a lot is in pvp XD

And yes, based Yoshida.

Had a costume contest with my FC yesterday for Halloween, I glamoured up to look like Erdrick of DQIII.

Complete with wind up Brickman, and slime earrings to seal the deal.

I'll post a screen here later.

But yeah, I've gotta show my love for DQ too in FFXIV.

Between one of my retainers having the king slime crown hat on in my yard, and my house being called the Quester's Rest, and parading the thug's mug, slime crown and golem minion around generally daily.

Here's a photo:

6a8dbc816e96d1961797bb36c0db8d96.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My goal of beating DQ VIII by the end of October has officially been a failure.

I'd really like to get it beat tonight or tomorrow so I can play Fallout 4 for a while before I get my copy of Pokemon UM.

In Etrian Odyssey V, I'm on the 13th floor, or halfway into the 3rd Stratum. So far the 3rd Stratum Curse hasn't kicked in, and hopefully it will stay that way.

In Final Fantasy IX, I've just been doing the last few side quests on disc 4. The Mognet Central side quest is not a favorite of mine, but I'm close to finishing it. Found all the Stellazio coins (including the 13th one), finished the Chocobo Paradise stuff (apart from the "step on every beach on the overworld" part but I don't care about that), and have been doing some Grand Dragon grinding above the grotto near Burmecia. Freya's Dragon Crest skill is getting better and better now, and some characters are getting some much needed levels and ability points.

Dragoon death or solo was a meme in FFXI too.

I was one in FFXI and been a lancer since ARR started, though the only time I die a lot is in pvp XD

And yes, based Yoshida.

Had a costume contest with my FC yesterday for Halloween, I glamoured up to look like Erdrick of DQIII.

Complete with wind up Brickman, and slime earrings to seal the deal.

I'll post a screen here later.

But yeah, I've gotta show my love for DQ too in FFXIV.

Between one of my retainers having the king slime crown hat on in my yard, and my house being called the Quester's Rest, and parading the thug's mug, slime crown and golem minion around generally daily.

Didn't know that was a thing from 11. I didn't play that game. I played WOW at the time, since I was very young, and very reliant of what my parents bought me.

Kinda sucks I missed that dragon quest event, I would have loved to show of some dragon quest stuff in this game. But oh well, I am a big final fantasy fan as well, so I don't mind it too much.

Got stuck on the 9th floor of Etrian Odyssey V because I drew a wall somewhere there really wasn't one.  I'm super over-leveled because I bought the EXP item from DLC.  Actually replaced it on my character with a new item I just picked up that shows the location of lots of stuff.  Maybe that will bring me back to level after a while, but really I don't mind being able to have a little more freedom to keep exploring floors for a while.

Not even close to finishing EOV, but thinking what to play next.  I have FFIX & ToCs & Dragon Fantasy 2 on my Vita ready to begin, just can't figure out which to do.  I've got a good month plus, but thinking ahead to what's going to take me through the holidays as I'm assuming I'll finish EOV by December.

I finished DQ VIII on the 3DS last night. It was a lot of fun to replay it on a handheld. I think I will wait a while before doing post-game stuff.

Time for some Fallout 4!

• Upvote 1

Gah, I FINALLY beat Ozma again in FFIX. Once again it took way too many tries just to beat him. I really hate it when RPGs make their superbosses more luck based than knowing the mechanics of the game. That damn marble and his love of Meteor then Curse...

Freya, Steiner, and Zidane pulled off the victory while Vivi supported (and used Return Magic). I managed to power up Thievery and Dragon Crest to 9999 damage and pretty much blitzed Ozma since he decided not to pull off his favorite opening act on attempt number...I don't know, 25?

The worst is now behind me though, so now I can move on to the final dungeon and finish off the game.

Picked up Sleepy Dogs. Instantly got back in the groove. Forgot how much I'd gotten done. Just a few more side missions and a couple lock boxes and shrines and I'll have completed the main game. I've already got all the lock boxes in Central and I know where the last one is in Kennedy Town (just gotta survive a shootout) and I only need to find two more shrines. There's a few races and favors giving me trouble, but if I stick it out it should be fine.

There's some DLC with it but I don't think I'm a big fan of scavenging all over an open world map for a couple collectibles and with no clear indicator of where they could be, so I'll just do the story missions and call it a day with those.

Gah, I FINALLY beat Ozma again in FFIX. Once again it took way too many tries just to beat him. I really hate it when RPGs make their superbosses more luck based than knowing the mechanics of the game. That damn marble and his love of Meteor then Curse...

Freya, Steiner, and Zidane pulled off the victory while Vivi supported (and used Return Magic). I managed to power up Thievery and Dragon Crest to 9999 damage and pretty much blitzed Ozma since he decided not to pull off his favorite opening act on attempt number...I don't know, 25?

The worst is now behind me though, so now I can move on to the final dungeon and finish off the game.

Is that an optional boss?

Is that an optional boss?

Super boss = Optional boss. So yes.

Rented Assassin's Creed: Origins from Redbox in order to give it a shot. I quite like it, though since I did like AC3 and AC: Rogue, that's not surprising.

https://gematsu.com/2017/11/new-legend-heroes-trails-cold-steel-title-trails-cold-steel-ii-coming-ps4

With the first two now coming to PS4, plus the recently released CS3, and now the fourth game being announced for PS4, maybe I really should get around to playing CS1 on Vita.

I saw this news earlier. Part of me is curious to check the games out on PS4, but at the same time I wasn't drawn into Trails in the Sky.

https://gematsu.com/2017/11/new-legend-heroes-trails-cold-steel-title-trails-cold-steel-ii-coming-ps4

With the first two now coming to PS4, plus the recently released CS3, and now the fourth game being announced for PS4, maybe I really should get around to playing CS1 on Vita.

I saw this news earlier. Part of me is curious to check the games out on PS4, but at the same time I wasn't drawn into Trails in the Sky.

I wish the PSP Legend of Heroes games got a nice HD upgrade for PS4. Not necessarily because they're better than any of the Trails games (I highly doubt they are, even though I've not played a Trails title), but because they're what came before, and I'd love to see people exposed to them. If you're curious, those titles are:

The Legend of Heroes: A Tear of Vermilion

The Legend of Heroes: Prophecy of the Moonlight Witch

The Legend of Heroes: Song of the Ocean.