cprmauldin

What RPG's are you currently playing?

Got my PS2 from my Dad's house so I'm playing FFXII and waiting for a new copy of DQVIII to arrive.

I've never had my ass handed to me by slimed before! Damn, DQ6 is one tough cookie.

Got my PS2 from my Dad's house so I'm playing FFXII and waiting for a new copy of DQVIII to arrive.

Too bad you don't have two PS2s. You could play DQVIII on one while FFXII played itself.

Too bad you don't have two PS2s. You could play DQVIII on one while FFXII played itself.

Hahaha nooo man, please stop, FF XII was the only good FF release in the main series since FF X (2001).

Hahaha nooo man, please stop, FF XII was the only good FF release in the main series since FF X (2001).

Since you laughed while asking, I'll go into mute mode in regards to FFXII for a few months. No promises about 2015 though.

I've never had my ass handed to me by slimed before! Damn, DQ6 is one tough cookie.

That's happened to me before in Dragon Warrior 1 (NES). 

I'm guessing you mean the battles? As if you left XII running you'd be watching Rex's back in the fortress forever. Even then though, the battles only play themselves if you've set them up properly, and you need to intervene for any actual challenges which come your way.

I guess I don't see how letting you automate the battles with a complex system of rules and commands is worse than entering a thousand random battles and just pressing the same button 20 times without touching any others like you do in every other FF game.

I'm guessing you mean the battles? As if you left XII running you'd be watching Rex's back in the fortress forever. Even then though, the battles only play themselves if you've set them up properly, and you need to intervene for any actual challenges which come your way.

I guess I don't see how letting you automate the battles with a complex system of rules and commands is worse than entering a thousand random battles and just pressing the same button 20 times without touching any others like you do in every other FF game.

Yep. That's what I mean.

And yeah, with all the AI in DQ now, especially on mobile, you only need to press the button 4 times per battle!

• Upvote 1

I'm back on D2 hard.  Playing it waaaaaay too much.

I just made it to the third Stratum of Etrian Odyssey II! Named the Frozen Grounds, this is a land of ice and snow. How this sort of thing is possible inside a giant tree is beyond me, but it's pretty damn awesome regardless. Plus it has a beautiful theme that fits the mood and environment perfectly.

Played a full game of FF9.  Not a 100% by any means.  I should dig out FF7 sometime and replay that.  Just because it's been so long.  Same with 8.

I've tinkered a bit with FF4, though mostly for a FAQ and to help a few people out with questions.  Ah, I've played a bit (20 minutes) of Pandora's Tower (really love the game, though the camera angles are a bit of a pain at times).

I plopped back in my PS4 save to help push Chaz, Rikka and pals to level 99 (three more battles worth of exp on Dezolis, wow!).

Um...a little tinkering (about 30 minutes), with my PSO save, attempting a very rare drop from an enemy that only spawns once on a particular map every load.  No luck though :/, and I had been going at it seriously a few months back.

I haven't really had much time to play anything the past few weeks, though I have gotten back into DQ7 and played a little DQ4.  Both part of my solo runs with special restrictions...well, ok, not that many restrictions on 7, but it should prove a fun solo game!  DQ4 I'm currently in Chapter 2, soloing Alena.  Yeah...with no shopping allowed.  Her equipment at the start is the sole equipment I can use as a result, though I should check for potential drops from enemies from the Bazaar through to Endor.

Oh right, and I plopped in, to check, DQ6 for the SFC, and DQ6 for the DS, for elements relevant to Erdrick's request on figuring out what skill is what, what spell is what, etc.

Edited by ignasia7

I've been wanting to play Pandora's Tower but like Xenoblade Chronicles they don't sell it anywhere anymore. I could probably get it on eBay for $30 new though. Is it any good?

I've been wanting to play Pandora's Tower but like Xenoblade Chronicles they don't sell it anywhere anymore. I could probably get it on eBay for $30 new though. Is it any good?

Well, I like it so far.  The one hassle is you have to pay attention to the demon meter, and have to return often.  Item stock is limited, but you can expand it.  In this way it's a little like RE4 meets Castlevania meets Devil May Cry.  I'm only just starting to level up my attack skills, but I have to say, I rather enjoy the battle system.  My only complaint is the camera angle thus far.

I would say it's better to find a copy of the EU version if you've hackmii'ed your Wii to remove region lock.  The US version has a game breaking glitch that can trigger in the last three dungeons.  It doesn't happen to everyone, but it can happen to anyone.  I know that when it does trigger, there are ways around it, but it seems like it's different for everyone and one fix doesn't work for some, while another fix works for others.  So the general recommendation is, with the 10th tower, to make a backup save, just in case.  It's like a maybe 5% chance to trigger.  No one knows how it triggers either, and XSeed's tests to duplicate it haven't amounted to anything.  So no fix was ever created.  I don't recall what the bug actually does, but I do know it prevents the game from being finished.  Luckily, it seems like it's only affected a small minority of players.

I would also say that of the people who supported all three releases, Pandora's Tower seems the most universally liked.  It's hard to find anyone who hates the game, and I can clearly see why.  It's very accessible.  It's also one of those games that it's best to watch the opening movie before doing anything, and realize that a lot of background is revealed as the game progresses, not up front as is typically the case.  It's also a surprisingly detailed game, with a relatively complex alchemy system, offering a lot to do, create, and giving plenty of reason to go back and forth.  In the process the leveling system is balanced with the idea that you will be going back and forth often enough.

I dusted off the old NES yesterday, and replaced the cartridge pinset, then began an playthrough of Dragon Warrior 1.That's what made me remember about the Dragon's Den too. It's probably been 4 or 5 years now since I've been on here... time flies. I had been playing some Oblivion and Skyrim recently as well, but not heavily.

Well, I like it so far.  The one hassle is you have to pay attention to the demon meter, and have to return often.  Item stock is limited, but you can expand it.  In this way it's a little like RE4 meets Castlevania meets Devil May Cry.  I'm only just starting to level up my attack skills, but I have to say, I rather enjoy the battle system.  My only complaint is the camera angle thus far.

I would say it's better to find a copy of the EU version if you've hackmii'ed your Wii to remove region lock.  The US version has a game breaking glitch that can trigger in the last three dungeons.  It doesn't happen to everyone, but it can happen to anyone.  I know that when it does trigger, there are ways around it, but it seems like it's different for everyone and one fix doesn't work for some, while another fix works for others.  So the general recommendation is, with the 10th tower, to make a backup save, just in case.  It's like a maybe 5% chance to trigger.  No one knows how it triggers either, and XSeed's tests to duplicate it haven't amounted to anything.  So no fix was ever created.  I don't recall what the bug actually does, but I do know it prevents the game from being finished.  Luckily, it seems like it's only affected a small minority of players.

I would also say that of the people who supported all three releases, Pandora's Tower seems the most universally liked.  It's hard to find anyone who hates the game, and I can clearly see why.  It's very accessible.  It's also one of those games that it's best to watch the opening movie before doing anything, and realize that a lot of background is revealed as the game progresses, not up front as is typically the case.  It's also a surprisingly detailed game, with a relatively complex alchemy system, offering a lot to do, create, and giving plenty of reason to go back and forth.  In the process the leveling system is balanced with the idea that you will be going back and forth often enough.

This is all good information to know. I've yet to start playing the game (had a copy since it launched in the US) and have been trying to get to it, and this all sounds encouraging (excluding the glitch of course).

Since you laughed while asking, I'll go into mute mode in regards to FFXII for a few months. No promises about 2015 though.

That emoticon looks like it's trying to take a dump.

Trying to stop playing Destiny by jumping back into SMT4. I forgot how unforgiving that game is....

I dusted off the old NES yesterday, and replaced the cartridge pinset, then began an playthrough of Dragon Warrior 1.That's what made me remember about the Dragon's Den too. It's probably been 4 or 5 years now since I've been on here... time flies. I had been playing some Oblivion and Skyrim recently as well, but not heavily.

Welcome back! Totally remember you. Hope all has been well.

That emoticon looks like it's trying to take a dump.
Then I captured the right emotion perfectly.
  • Upvote 1

Trying to stop playing Destiny by jumping back into SMT4. I forgot how unforgiving that game is....

Ah, Shin Megami Tensei IV...such a great game. I remember being glued to it when it came out last year in the summer. Naruku is a pain to get through, but it made the game all the more exciting. I still need to go back and get the bad ending in that game as it's the only one I haven't seen yet.

Easily my favorite game for the 3DS.

I've bought The Last Story and Xenoblade Chronicles but ignored PT. This sounds like a good reason to buy a copy!

All three of them are good but Xenoblade is amazing.

From what I saw of Pandora's Tower, it looks like a ton of fun, even though hearing the voice actors say Arin and Alena over and over again in different tones of voices and listening to the poor girl make tortured grunts and noises would get a little tiring after awhile.

Having a clock tick as you try to complete a stage and having to return to give her smaller hearts to give you more time is an interesting mechanic and waiting longer will cause her to transform even further before you give her a heart is clever. Probably gonna request it as a Christmas gift.

Both Dragon Quest 8 and Pokemon X.

I'm at the point where I'm going hunt for monster team members for Morrie's arena(and clear at least a couple of ranks, maybe more depending whether I can or not).

On Pokemon X, I'm trying to get a shiny Eevee. It's driving me crazy.

Edited by Stepchan

Still plugging away at DQM Caravan Heart. Trying to get through the Rhone cave.