Sign in to follow this  
kandouerik

Most Nerve-Wracking Match EVER!

I've been playing Fortune Street a lot these past few weeks. I finally unlocked the Dragon Quest/Mario mode - and managed, by the skin of my teeth, to access course after course. It got really hard when the winning position became #1, and nothing else.

Anyway - so I was on the Colossus level. I played through it 2 times today. First Princess Peach kicked my butt, and then Kyril dominated the second match.

On my third match? Alena was winning - and I was perpetually in 4th place. Alena had built up two completely dominated districts, right next to each other on the island to the right. If you ended up over there, there was only her stores to hit on. And, of course, they where getting really, really expensive.

Just as Alena was reaching around 18000, with me only having 9000 - I suddenly knew how to turn this all around. I used a trick I learned from seeing the Dragon Lord perform in a previous level -- if you share a stock with you're enemy, you can devalue it. So I began devaluing Alena's earnings. That method isn't that easy, or always effective -- but at the highest levels, with me having 55 stocks, and her having 200 -- devaluing really worked.

I also found that Peach was very willing to pay 1000s of gold to gain houses I had, so she could gain market dominance over them. (She was so far behind, it didn't matter if she got those districts to herself) I kept doing this - surprising myself with how willing she was to spend 1000 each time for multiple houses.

It seemed like the rest of the game kept going my way, more and more. I was a hairs breath away from earning enough, and getting to the finish line. This being my third play-though, I didn't want to leave things totally to chance. I made a save of the game - and it's good thing I did. Twice I ended up on Alena's market dominated island, and twice I found myself rolling the die directly onto her largest and most expensive place. How expensive? It was over 10000!!!

So I kept reloading, and trying again. Most of the time Alena was trapped over on her island - so that gave me a lot of time to get the remaining suits I needed, to get to the goal and level up to 20000. And most of the time I was doing pretty good -- but, again, that looming 10000 shop kept getting in my way.

The tension this game was creating was really something else! I might not be gambling money - - but I am gambling wether my time is being wasted. I simply refused to have to go through this course for a 4th time, just so I could unlock the final course.

After the 3ed or 4th attempt, I finally managed to reach the finish line with 2000 gold.

For game centered around finances - this is a pretty kick-ass game!

Yeah, I love the sell-your-own-shops-to-cpus trick to get you ahead in the game. I do find it slightly surprising you managed to get PEACH of all people to buy it though; she's usually such a $#!&@ like Mario is, demanding a WAY cheaper deal.

Creating the save does kind of take away some of the intensity though in my opinion... I usually accept a loss and start using an AI to get me started while i go off to do something else, and then come back in the middle of the game to see how I'm doing; if I'm losing badly, I'll usually just let my AI finish so I can a few points, unless I'm feeling particularly impatient. :P

Ah yeah, I'm glad I did that over winter break, because there's no way I'd be complete in everything with everything I have to be doing nowadays. I've had my own intense matches, someone should make a thread of where everyone posts their most intense matches online/or whatever. Also like Ruesen said, I just accept the way the game goes, I never "reset", etc. It's like accepting the blue shell in mario kart, rather than trying to avoid it. On another note: I believe all trade abbey took me the longest to finish, probably like 5 playthroughs both easy and standard mode, lots of bad luck on my part for most of them.