Sign in to follow this  
FencingFoxFTW

lol so now everyone is concerned about it being online...

...when back at this thread some people were so sure about it being playable offline.

also, I dont know how people think it wont have a fee if it's released here in the west. sure, the millions of japanese people paying to play would support the few playing it over here, but i doubt it will go that way.

...when back at this thread some people were so sure about it being playable offline.

also, I dont know how people think it wont have a fee if it's released here in the west. sure, the millions of japanese people paying to play would support the few playing it over here, but i doubt it will go that way.

I've going to make one MMORPG exception in life, and sign on to this game entirely. But I have to be honest and say if connecting to the internet was free, that would make things a whole lot easier and simpler.

When you have hardcore fans saying they think they are going to pass on the title, because of the online and the fee, then I think SquareEnix has a real problem. (One I hope they are aware of)

Plus - I really wish this game could be worked to function all the way through without the internet (AI characters could fill in for the "crowd"). It really seems a darn shame that, no matter wether we all buy it or not -- there will come a day when on-line support is no more, and the game becomes unplayable. The sole DQ game not able to revisited years later.

I know the Japanese side of things is probably going to keep this gaming community nice and healthy (but, THAT is, if there's regional play! Might not, if a lot of text back and forth is required.) If it's a sectioned off community, connected with only english speaking countries - then I fear the game will become yet another dead MMORPG, added to the list.

Replayability has always been my largest concern when it comes to online function in gaming. The single player experience always has to be paramount, and the main focus. That desire isn't an option with an MMORPG.

Anyway, in short I doubt this decision is over completely. SquareEnix could potentially loose a lot of money, releasing and requiring monthly payments for an MMORPG in the West that even hardened fans are questioning. Plus, World of Warcraft isn't about to be moved from its lofty perch anytime soon; so it's inherently already a crowded market. Making online free would make a lot of this doubt and discussion moot. Even if they start out charging money, it might ultimately be in their best interest make it free, or split the difference with a pay-to-play higher level cap. Because of Warcraft's dominance - there's a real reason so many MMORPGs have turned the Free to Play model.

There will be a fee for this. They released FFXI on consoles too, remember? There was a fee then, too.

PSU? Online fee for consoles.

PSO? Online fee for consoles.

Squeenix will keep this tradition going, just that there won't be a DQX on the PC.

And as a result? A game that a lot of people won't play in the first place will get dumbed down even more for being a console MORPG. (( Not MMORPG. Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game. There will be no "massively" about it. ))

There will be a fee for this. They released FFXI on consoles too, remember? There was a fee then, too.

Squeenix will keep this tradition going, just that there won't be a DQX on the PC.

And as a result? A game that a lot of people won't play in the first place will get dumbed down even more for being a console MORPG. (( Not MMORPG. Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game. There will be no "massively" about it. ))

exactly!

someone mentioned how they would keep the series tradition, but failed to mention how IX actually has multiplayer and "DLC". not a staple of the series at all.

also failed to realize the same happened to Final Fantasy. the series stayed pretty much the same, except for graphical changes and tweaks to the ATB battle system. then they decided to go online. I'm pretty sure not all the FF fans made the move. same will happen with this.

dont get me wrong. I would really like to play it, but right now I'm not sure how it will fare.

Edited by FencingFoxFTW

Yeah - but how popular is Dragon Quest compared to Final Fantasy in America? It's like a death sentence to come out with an MMORPG, requiring a fee, with a still under-aware public of Dragon Quest. The only thing going for Dragon Quest X, in terms of getting a lot of attention, is that it will be coming out with, or sometime soon after the Wii U release.

I love Dragon Quest - but I also realize the reality of it's popularity over in America. There isn't a single Dragon Quest release without somebody saying "they just ripped off Dragon Ball Z". That's not good for a game launch depending so much on constant gamer support, just to remain in the market place and be a viable MMORPG.

It isn't going to get proper support here, IMHO. No console-based RPG has.

I do not see it suceeding, and sadly, it might mean the near-death of the DQ franchise in North America if Square Enix doesn't do proper support here.

Sega pissed off a -lot- of players here on PSU and whatnot by not giving us quests and DLC the JP versions had, having shoddy support, even not giving the local GMs everything they needed to make the game succeed. PSU = Console RPG.

DQX is going to pigeon-hole all players into five specific races, none human, offer paid DLC (( BAD BAD, depending on how they do it. If it's legitimate quests and content, say something similar to the Knights of the Nine for Oblivion )) (( It will be bad, if the game is online-only, which it seems to be. )) that noone needs, and above all else? Charge a monthly fee for a CONSOLE GAME.

I hate to be a downer, but this game will blow. If it doesn't, I will be pleasently suprised, and I will be very happy to see the series continue in the US. :)

I am going to give it a try, my only concern is what happens in 5 to 8 years if I want to replay the game? Would you still be able to access it online? I usually replay DQ games every few years so I am kinda worried since you cant play this game offline.

Edited by Shadow Knight

Fox, has there been an announcement (not from those awful gaming sites that just report whatever will get them the most comments) about the game not being fully playable offline (except for a few aspects)?

I, for one, have not seen it. Nor have I seen "everyone" concerned about "it being online".

Perhaps I just missed all this, but I would like to know.

If this is not the case, I will still be calm in my expectations of it being just like Dragon Quest IX.

Edited by Cesar Hernandez-Meraz
  • Upvote 1

As I've understood it, the first few hours will be played as a human offline, after that you will play online as one of the 5 races. As far as subscription fees are concerned? Monster Hunter 3 had fees in Japan but free online here in the west and has had continued support. I'd also like to point out that as a veteran of FFXI SE did a fair job of supporting the PS2 version of the game.

In the end comparing it to what happened with Sega's lack of support for Phantasy Stay here in the west is unfair. Sega screws up one country at a time, SE screws up the entire world at once ;) (FFXIV)

But, has something new been announced? By official or credible sources?

If we are still going with the months old "news", which transformed "first hours offline, then have to get online to get the full experience" to "first hours offline, then totally unplayable if not online", then I am back to the same point.

So, was there a reason for this thread?

purpose of the thread? well, I didnt want to necropost on the one I mentioned up there :)

the "everyone is concerned", obviously exaggerating, is due to a few post I saw about the fee being "confirmed" and people resigned about it. sure, the wise thing would be to wait and see, but I'd rather err on the safe side and not get my hopes up. both stances are much better than saying offline play is a sure thing.

I would love it if the online was only for special quests and endgame content, but as I said, not getting my hopes up.

Monster Hunter you had to pay to go online in Japan, it's free for us though. DQ may need a fee, how it's going to play out here is unknown, not to mention that Nintendo are the ones that are most likely going to publish it over here. You have to think to yourself 'what will Nintendo pull to see this game do well here?' Perhaps it will be free to go online, or even perhaps we get the first 3 months free. The best time we will hear anything about the game for us would be at E3

Monster Hunter is NOT AN MMORPG. Furthermore, it was released by Crapcom. Two companies, two different genres. Monster Hunter has about the same fanbase here, that I will give it. (( A fraction compared to US/Japan. DQ and MH have TONS more players there than here. )) This discussion was had before.

It will not be free to go online, Square Enix has had plenty of Console-based MMORPGs here in the states. Guess what? They all had an online fee. (( Granted, there was only FFXI and Everquest Online Adventures for the PS2. )) I'm hoping there will be a way to play the entire game offline, but DQX might end up like FFXI. Expansion packs, etc. You can't have a MMO going without some kind of groundwork for it to make money.

Sure, it might, MIGHT be freemium, but I doubt that. I'm sure without a doubt that when we get it, it will have a full MMORPG experience, all for the low monthly price of 9.99 a month, payable through Square Enix's PlayOnline service. :)

Though someone said in the other thread that it might end up being cheaper. As a console MMORPG, it would be best to offer it for a price of say, 4.99 a month. However, Kirby Slime, you propose some different things, it could be free for a month, and that would be a good choice, as other MMORPGs (( I know FFXI does )) that have monthly fees sometimes offer a 30-day/1month free period.

But, again, DQX isn't Monster Hunter (An action-adventure game with some RPG elements, that just happens to have an online portion where you friend-code with 4 people.), DQX is a MMORPG. A MMORPG will have to have some standards to keep itself going.

SE has had one console MMO here in the west, FFXI which if I recall was published by SOE, not SE. It is important to note that EQ was also SOE.

You are basing an entire belief around a single example. I think what Kirby said is 100% correct, SE wants to see the game succeed wherever it was released and we won't know much more about it until probably E3.

SoE was over it's PS2 incarnation. Square-Enix publishes it here for the PC/XBox360. SE's port of FFXI360 is what I refer to.

... and the wiki also says that As part of the general Square Enix feature, Famitsu interviewed Final Fantasy XI producer (?) Hiromichi Tanaka. Tanaka said that they're investigating a straight port of Final Fantasy XI to the PlayStation Vita, but there's no solid plan for this at present.

Hmm.

Edited by mhollan3

I love the fact that it will be MMORPG but not the possibilty that it will have fee at the west release. Anyway...

You're talking about SE but don't forget that the localization of the latest DQ games (DQIX, DQVI, DQMJ2...) have been made by Nintendo so the biggest possibilty is that DQX will be also localized by Nintendo. And if Nintendo wants to make DQX a big hit in west market then they won't hesitate to localized it without fee. It worked great with Monster Hunter Tri, so why not following Capcom's example?

I will pay whatever I have to to play DQX. I hate paying for online gaming too but would never dare pass up a DQ game :)

I am a Dragon Quest fan. If the game is good, I am willing to pay $8-$10 dollars a month to play it.

The way I see it is two fold.

One, I bought Dragon Quest VIII for $20, and I got over 300 hours of gameplay out of it. Then I bought Dragon Quest IX for $40 and got 150+ hours out of it. Even factoring in one dollar for each hour of gameplay, I got far and away more play time than money I put into it. Now people are seriously complaining because they'll have to pay a $10 (or less) subscription fee for a game they can play 1000+ hours a month if they wanted?

Two, Nintendo is trying to make Dragon Quest more popular in the west. If ths game somehow took off and had a million users playing it outside Japan, maybe the idiots at Squaresoft (aka Wada and other CEOs) may finally wake up and take DQ seriously in the west. Not that they shouldn't already be doing that when DQIX sold over a million between America and Europe.

Now people are seriously complaining because they'll have to pay a $10 (or less) subscription fee for a game they can play 672 to 744 hours a month, minus time spent eating, sleeping, and going to the bathroom, if they wanted?

Fixed. :P

EDIT: And, yes, they're... complaining. Every other game I play online already cost me $60 and I don't have to pay anything extra after that and I can play those games as much as any game that has a monthly fee. Subscription fees are basically pure profit for any company that collects them. Not that it's a bad thing... they're a company, that's what their main focus is - to make money.

EDIT EDIT: And, personally, I'm not complaining about subscription fees, just don't care for MMORPGs in general. I like Dragon Quest games, but didn't care for IX... given the success of IX it's very easy to assume they'll build on what made IX a success, which is probably what made me not care for IX.

Edited by GrandAlchemist

EDIT: And, yes, they're... complaining. Every other game I play online already cost me $60 and I don't have to pay anything extra after that and I can play those games as much as any game that has a monthly fee. Subscription fees are basically pure profit for any company that collects them. Not that it's a bad thing... they're a company, that's what their main focus is - to make money.

Honestly, most online games coming out now adays are using the free model like League of Legends, DOTA or Gunbound. The game itself is free and tries to get you with tons of microtransactions. But I think you overlooked my entire point. If you look at the game based on number of hours vs amount of money spent, MMOs are still hardly a wasted investment. The people who think this are people who don't like MMOs to begin with and frankly aren't going to bother with DQX anyway. But 10-15 years ago when games like Phantasy Star Online, Ragnarok Online, Final Fantasy XI, Star Wars Galaxies and even World of Warcraft came out, people didn't complain this much about subscription fees. Now we have people complaining more about not only MMOs, but just the idea of having to pay for any games, thinking that they should just be able to pirate all console games and play them for free on their 'superior PC rig'.

As I've said before, I think the bigger issue isn't so much that DQX is an MMO or even the subscription fee. I think much of the complaining is from a minority of people that are mad that they won't be able to download DQX and play it for free like they did all the DS games. Nearly all my friends are PC exclusive players who won't play any console games except the ones they can emulate on PC, including Dragon Quest. And they are heavy MMO players.

Edited by Kenryoku_Maxis

But I think you overlooked my entire point.

I mainly disregarded what you said in its entirety and just wanted to point out that you can't play 1000+ hours a month... since there aren't even 1000 hours in a month. Then other thoughts randomly inserted themselves afterwords.

I don't much care for PC elitists or pirates, so you won't hear me disagreeing with those thoughts.

;) I've got no beef with Dragon Quest X being online if they do it like Assassin's Creed and make it a game within a game OR they do it like Dragon Quest IX did on the DS.

I wouldn't mind it being online if there was no fee. However, I won't be able to play it anyway because I don't have my Wii anymore and my parents won't let me get a Wii U. :(

There will be a fee, as there is one in Japan.

And you might get lucky and get a Wii U. :) But I see a PC version coming out, so you might be able to get it there.