Sign in to follow this  
Ring Man

Female MC in RPG's

So, I just now realized that I cannot remember any RPG's that had a female main protagonist. And I mean a solely female, not choose your gender like DQ 4 or Pokemon games

Can anyone think of any in particular that do have one?

Final Fantasy 6, Final Fantasy 13 and Dragon Quest Monsters 2: Tara's Adventure, to name a couple.

DWM2 I was a bit on the fence about, given that the whole Cobi/Tara split was basically taking the "choose your gender" as far as the game itself.

I also understand FF 6, but a lot of people, including some at SE, say that it's hard to choose a single main character, and even then I was a bit torn between Terra and Celes until the roster for Dissidia

Wild Arms III has one! Not to mention the original Phantasy Star! Xenosaga has Shion as its main protagonist, and most of the Atelier series of games have female leads, Iris having the sole Male lead!

Oh, and Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure, how could I forget?

Valkyrie Profile (Lenneth)

If you want to know how bad I feel for forgetting this one, it's "really bad"!

Valkyrie Profile 2 also has a female lead!

Phantasy Star. Final Fantasy x is also accepted.

The MCs for Lost Kingdoms and Lost Kingdoms 2 were both female. There's also the Parasite Eve series.

Phantasy Star, arguably Phantasy Star 4 had a female protaganist (( Alys Brangwin )) that shifted to it's main MC soon after.

There's also games like Recettear, Chantelise, and a few other indie titles.

Parasite Eve, if you count it as an action RPG. Also Jeanne D'Arc if you like turn-based RPGs.

Also Odin Sphere has multiple main characters, the first one you can play as is female and is the most prominent in the story.

Edited by Aphelion

Interested in both of these games, but haven't played either.

Mind giving me some quick highlights and maybe a rating out of 10?

Rhapsody

Xenosaga

Phantom Brave

I also understand FF 6, but a lot of people, including some at SE, say that it's hard to choose a single main character, and even then I was a bit torn between Terra and Celes until the roster for Dissidia

and I wonder why people consider Celes a protagonist. Locke would be more of a protagonist, considering you get him really early on, he saves both Terra and Celes, and his story is probably the most developed. sure, you can finish the game without him, but still.

and sure, you begin the WoR with Celes, but I dont think you can progress much without getting the other characters. I never tried going solo with Celes, but I doubt you can progress without getting Edgar. not even sure the Gerad event happens if you dont get Sabin first.

I've always thought that the story of FF6 started with Terra and her ascension into an Esper-state, then it shifts to Celes as the second protaganist for the World of Ruin.

And honestly? I think Shadow had the most developed character.

Bunny Must die (another indie title) also had a female MC. 2 of them infact. :)

Suikoden 3 does, kind of. You have three 'introductory' quests to do at the beginning of the game, each with its own protagonist, one of which is a female knight captain Chris Lightfellow. When the three stories finally intersect, you get to choose a proper main character from there, although you'll occasionally still do smaller quests with the other two leads.

The original Valkyrie Profile is simply a classic. I'd recommend everyone and their dog play it!

It's difficult to describe the combat system, kind of strategic yet action oriented. You can chain combos with your characters and unleash super moves, it's really fun.

Most of the game revolves around recruiting characters (there's a ton, you get 4 to your party) and the plotline slowly develops throughout. You have a bit of a time limit working against you, but it's not really that restricting, especially on easy.

There are multiple endings and paths to go through, so it has a lot of replay value! Graphics and music are top-notch for a PS1 game. (There's also a PSP port)

VP2 isn't quite as stunning, I'd really only play it if you enjoyed the first a lot. Way different in a lot of aspects.

Not sure if it counts but in Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II, the main character is canonically female, even though you can pick your gender.

The original Valkyrie Profile is simply a classic. I'd recommend everyone and their dog play it!

It's difficult to describe the combat system, kind of strategic yet action oriented. You can chain combos with your characters and unleash super moves, it's really fun.

Most of the game revolves around recruiting characters (there's a ton, you get 4 to your party) and the plotline slowly develops throughout. You have a bit of a time limit working against you, but it's not really that restricting, especially on easy.

There are multiple endings and paths to go through, so it has a lot of replay value! Graphics and music are top-notch for a PS1 game. (There's also a PSP port)

VP2 isn't quite as stunning, I'd really only play it if you enjoyed the first a lot. Way different in a lot of aspects.

Thanks!

This game will be going on my wishlist.

Make sure you use a walkthrough, Lenneth has a -lot- of endings and a -lot- of characters. Kind of like Suikoden.

The Atelier games and Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure.

Phantasy Star. Final Fantasy x is also accepted.

I'm not sure i agree on Final Fantasy X, didnt he say solely female MC? To me Tidus seemed as much a main character as Yuna in that game.

Edited by rmcin329

Yggdra Union too, no ? I haven' really plaid to it...

Else... Many games give you a choice between a male or female protagonist, but itdoen't really count.

Maybe Lufia could be considered a borderline case since she share the title with the male hero. 

FE7 have Lyn, and I think FE10 also have Female Lords (I didn't plaid to it,). FE8 have Eirika. FE2 have Celica.

...That's awfully tough to find, in fact...

La Pucelle is another one.