Sign in to follow this  
King Zenith

Dragon Quest Monsters 1+2 PSX - Translation Progress!

I check their site once a week to see if there's any news... :-/ One of these weeks it will pay off!

Since DQM 3DS remakes aren't coming over here at least they know their translation of the PSX remakes will really be worth it, no competition for attention. Everyone will be drawn to it since the 3DS games didn't make it over.

I should also add that it would have been wise for them to have, for example DQ(W)7 on PSN. A lot of folks rip on it for the graphics, but here's my take: I've always said "16-bit" quality is plenty acceptable.

Let's pretend that we had gotten DQ6 back in the 90s. If they had simply released the ROM instead of giving us the DS remake, I think most of us would have found that an acceptable option, even though its not ideal to some. On the other hand, the 8-bit games are tinny sounding.

In the case of DQ7, it may have been wise to offer up the ISOs, since they at least qualify in the aforementioned departments. I personally think it would have been wise financially speaking, given the fact that anyone with adequate computer knowledge can rip and host a ROM or ISO. There'd be no manufacturing or localization costs.

Who else here would have been satisfied to have a legal download of DQ(W)7 as an alternative? I'd rather see the upgraded version, but at least it'd be an effort to treat the DQ community right.

Granted, I loved 7, so I may be showing a little personal bias here. Apparently the first section of the game is greatly simplified, which may be a huge factor in how people view the need for a remake in this title. As for me, it took me 2 days, over 5 hours of gameplay, to have my first battle. But that didn't bother me a bit. Others however, point to this as a sign of the game's tedious nature.

Any thoughts?

The reason not all PSX games are on PSN is because of A) Legal bullsh*t (Sony doesn't own all the rights to every game) and B) Incompatibilities with POPStation. DQVII fits in the B catagory, and may also be in the A catagory depending on what SE's take on it is. (DQVII emulates poorly on the PSP. Lots of freezes/crashes. The only way to complete the game on PSP is to transfer saves to a PC or PSP once every 5~10 hours of gameplay so you can use a better emulator that doesn't crash, then transfer the save back to the PSP.) I know this because I converted my own copy using PSX2PSP and my PSP with PRO 6.10 CFW. (Also - the only version of POPS that will run DQ7 in a playable manner is very old, as newer versions won't show any textboxes. Basically the inverse of the Pete's D3D GPU bug that ONLY shows textboxes when one is on screen.)

I know this is not proper forum etiquette but it is eating me up inside.
Been waiting for this title to be translated for years! Has anyone heard anything at all about this translation?

I even bought a japanese playstation and the game just so I'd feel like I wasn't stealing it. I could have learned to read japanese in all this time and beaten the game. I feel shamed for not taking that route.
Thank you to anyone who has any information.

The translation group that is supposed to be working on this hasn't had any news in nearly a year... but they've always been sparse with news. Nothing has been mentioned about the DQM 1+2 translation in over 2 years at this point.

Edited by GrandAlchemist

I should also add that it would have been wise for them to have, for example DQ(W)7 on PSN. A lot of folks rip on it for the graphics, but here's my take: I've always said "16-bit" quality is plenty acceptable.

Let's pretend that we had gotten DQ6 back in the 90s. If they had simply released the ROM instead of giving us the DS remake, I think most of us would have found that an acceptable option, even though its not ideal to some. On the other hand, the 8-bit games are tinny sounding.

In the case of DQ7, it may have been wise to offer up the ISOs, since they at least qualify in the aforementioned departments. I personally think it would have been wise financially speaking, given the fact that anyone with adequate computer knowledge can rip and host a ROM or ISO. There'd be no manufacturing or localization costs.

Who else here would have been satisfied to have a legal download of DQ(W)7 as an alternative? I'd rather see the upgraded version, but at least it'd be an effort to treat the DQ community right.

Granted, I loved 7, so I may be showing a little personal bias here. Apparently the first section of the game is greatly simplified, which may be a huge factor in how people view the need for a remake in this title. As for me, it took me 2 days, over 5 hours of gameplay, to have my first battle. But that didn't bother me a bit. Others however, point to this as a sign of the game's tedious nature.

Any thoughts?

The reason not all PSX games are on PSN is because of A) Legal bullsh*t (Sony doesn't own all the rights to every game) and B) Incompatibilities with POPStation. DQVII fits in the B catagory, and may also be in the A catagory depending on what SE's take on it is. (DQVII emulates poorly on the PSP. Lots of freezes/crashes. The only way to complete the game on PSP is to transfer saves to a PC or PSP once every 5~10 hours of gameplay so you can use a better emulator that doesn't crash, then transfer the save back to the PSP.) I know this because I converted my own copy using PSX2PSP and my PSP with PRO 6.10 CFW. (Also - the only version of POPS that will run DQ7 in a playable manner is very old, as newer versions won't show any textboxes. Basically the inverse of the Pete's D3D GPU bug that ONLY shows textboxes when one is on screen.)

And who was including the PSP (or Vita) exactly?

Any thoughts?

And who was including the PSP (or Vita) exactly?

Aren't all PS1 one games available on PSN set up to work on both PSP and PS3? (And some on Vita now, too?)

Aw, somebody beat me to it!

Exciting, isn't it?

Fantastic news.  Glad to see they are still trucking along. 

How many times must I post that damn gif...

Oh!

That's very informative. Glad we got a nice detailed update and they're sticking with it.

Seems like they still have a ways to go on it, but great to hear that they're still plugging away at it.

Oh, wow! I'd completely given up on ever seeing an english patch! I'm so happy now!

I wonder, since they're already doing all sorts of programming changes, if they'll make a patch (preferably separate so players have a choice) that swaps the Circle and Cross buttons, like Enix did with DQ7>DW7. While I've mostly gotten used to using Circle for menu/select/action, I know it really bugs a LOT of American and European players, especially since Sony switched the "official" western cancel button from Triangle to Circle.

Edited by Erdrick The Hero

just stumbled on this..

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/2444/

after a little google translate magic found this

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=zh-CN&u=http://bbs.ffsky.com/showtopic-1853224.aspx&prev=search

i wish there were a way to connect the hackers from this project w kingcom.. unfortunately it seems like ffsky is a warez site that requires an invite to get into.. not to mention the little problem of needing to know chinese to communicate with them. sigh

I've been waiting patiently for this.

After all, life's really busy anyway. If this patch was released TODAY, I wouldn't be able to play it for a few months when I clean my to-do and to-play lists.

Anyway, I'd want this patch EVEN if the 3DS versions came out in English officially, and I really hope they do.

Anyway, that's a really nice update!! Things are looking possible.

Hello Guys, i recently emailed translatortom about his progress about DQM 1+2 and this is what he said : http://prntscr.com/9xbnqv  :whoa: I know it's not much! but it's just great to hear that they're still trucking along.

Edited by Cheesetemper321
  • Upvote 1

So they are still working on it?  Excellent.  I will try to hold off on Playing back thru DWM1 and DWM2.  Between this one Joker 2 Professional, and Joker 3 not to mention the other coupla games in the series that didnt recieve NA localization, I am rather disappointed with the company.  Thankfully Caravan Hearts has a good translation, but Why do you suppose Squenix tortures us so?  I mean even if a game may not sell well in the US because not enough people know about it, couldnt they just have the option in the japanese version to change language EN/JP?  If they just added the other language as an option, it would take up a little more space, but data space is dirt cheap these days and adding english to the japanese version would mean MANY MANY fans in both Europe and North America, maybe even South America would pay extra to import the japanese version especially if the system is not region locked.  Hell, even the psx version, i would buy a cheat device to get around the psx systems region restriction just to import and play dqm1+2 remake if english were an option on the jp version.  Sorry for ramblin all...

• Upvote 1

So they are still working on it? Excellent. I will try to hold off on Playing back thru DWM1 and DWM2. Between this one Joker 2 Professional, and Joker 3 not to mention the other coupla games in the series that didnt recieve NA localization, I am rather disappointed with the company. Thankfully Caravan Hearts has a good translation, but Why do you suppose Squenix tortures us so? I mean even if a game may not sell well in the US because not enough people know about it, couldnt they just have the option in the japanese version to change language EN/JP? If they just added the other language as an option, it would take up a little more space, but data space is dirt cheap these days and adding english to the japanese version would mean MANY MANY fans in both Europe and North America, maybe even South America would pay extra to import the japanese version especially if the system is not region locked. Hell, even the psx version, i would buy a cheat device to get around the psx systems region restriction just to import and play dqm1+2 remake if english were an option on the jp version. Sorry for ramblin all...

No worries, we've all thought it.
  • Upvote 1

I'm waiting so much for this! I played this game the day it was released on GBC. I played it many more times on GBC, PC (emulator), mobile phone and finally the great community translation of the 3DS port (best 3DS game ever).

Of course I played DQM2 as well but 1 is probably my fav GB game ever and although the 3DS port has its benefits and was really fun to play (especially with that extended ending), I'm a lover of 2D games and everything I saw from DQM 1+2 so far made me wanna play this so goddamn much!

Anyone here has a contact mail or anything?

Tom has still been working on this, and continues to make progress.  The most active place to get updates is on his Twitter Page

The Aerie gets less frequent updates. 

Most recent pictures I have seen in the updates were from September 11:

Glitches Remain:

DQMPSX1.png

Testing progress is up to the Door of Rage:

DQMPSX2.png