Dragon Quest Monsters 1+2 PSX - Translation Progress!

O_o Isn't this for DQ1+2? Not DQM1+2?

I might have to DL this and a PSX emu.

Sorry, it's for DQM 1+2. I have modified the topic title accordingly.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Kingcom has just posted an update to their translation site and it looks like the translation (and hacking) for DQM 1+2 PSX is being worked on again and has been moved up in the queue.   Previously,

I think a PS2 fan translation would relieve us from our concern over Terry 3D and DQM2 3DS.. Not 3DS quality, but highly superior graphic and sound qualities vs. the GBC games.

Yeah, it's kind of a shame that by the time they finish the game, no one will be around to play it because everyone will have forgotten about it.

• 7 months later...

The translation blog was updated in April...apparently some progress has been made, but not much.  He was planning on releasing more info/media, but nothing on it so far. 

I really hope this translation comes through.  I'd love to be able to put it on my PSP and have all 3 games in one place.

• 6 months later...

A little status update hidden in the comments:

All projects are still alive. DQM needs more fixing in many menus, due to some very complicated and deep changes. Battle messages need to be manually formatted (due to the very variable nature and being composed of little more than tiny sentence fragments pieced together by scripts). Graphics need to be translated. Otherwise it’s playable without notable issues. For those curious, take a look at the status of our bug tracker: http://puu.sh/6uB8C/93397b9b48.png

Xenosaga and SRWF are not fully translated yet.

http://aerie.wingdreams.net/?p=248#comments

Huh. I thought this was for something entirely different. Looking forward to when this is eventually done.

What do they mean by graphics need to be translated. Monsters? Items?

What do they mean by graphics need to be translated. Monsters? Items?

There are numerous graphics in the game with text built right into them.  Kind of like the puzzle pieces in Slime Mori Mori Dragon Quest.  Those graphics needs to be extracted and replaced with close replicas that have English text instead of Japanese.

A little status update hidden in the comments:

All projects are still alive. DQM needs more fixing in many menus, due to some very complicated and deep changes. Battle messages need to be manually formatted (due to the very variable nature and being composed of little more than tiny sentence fragments pieced together by scripts). Graphics need to be translated. Otherwise it’s playable without notable issues. For those curious, take a look at the status of our bug tracker: http://puu.sh/6uB8C/93397b9b48.png

Xenosaga and SRWF are not fully translated yet.

http://aerie.wingdreams.net/?p=248#comments

Playable without noticeable issues. Hmmm... Time to try it?

Nope, I don't think they will release anything until it is completely finished.  Which is kind of unfortunate IMO since I would be okay starting it if there is enough to read most things.  I tried the Japanese version for a little while but it got to the point where I was breeding monsters that would learn 12-15 moves and it was too much work to try to translate all of them.

I think a PS2 fan translation would relieve us from our concern over Terry 3D and DQM2 3DS.. Not 3DS quality, but highly superior graphic and sound qualities vs. the GBC games.

• Upvote 1

I should also add that it would have been wise for them to have, for example DQ(W)7 on PSN. A lot of folks rip on it for the graphics, but here's my take: I've always said "16-bit" quality is plenty acceptable.

Let's pretend that we had gotten DQ6 back in the 90s. If they had simply released the ROM instead of giving us the DS remake, I think most of us would have found that an acceptable option, even though its not ideal to some. On the other hand, the 8-bit games are tinny sounding.

In the case of DQ7, it may have been wise to offer up the ISOs, since they at least qualify in the aforementioned departments. I personally think it would have been wise financially speaking, given the fact that anyone with adequate computer knowledge can rip and host a ROM or ISO. There'd be no manufacturing or localization costs.

Who else here would have been satisfied to have a legal download of DQ(W)7 as an alternative? I'd rather see the upgraded version, but at least it'd be an effort to treat the DQ community right.

Granted, I loved 7, so I may be showing a little personal bias here. Apparently the first section of the game is greatly simplified, which may be a huge factor in how people view the need for a remake in this title. As for me, it took me 2 days, over 5 hours of gameplay, to have my first battle. But that didn't bother me a bit. Others however, point to this as a sign of the game's tedious nature.

Any thoughts?

As for me, it took me 2 days, over 5 hours of gameplay, to have my first battle.

Any thoughts?

Yes. That annoyed me. Greatly. But, didn't stop me from going through it 3 or 4 times through the years.

And Idk what the reasoning is not to have the whole damn selection of ps1 games on PSN.

Edited by Plattym3

;) Since I actually have a working PSX emulator on my current computer, I look forward to giving this a shot once the Translation is complete.

Any idea on how far along this is?

Sent From My Galaxy Note 2 Running VanillaRootBox

;) That's awesome news to hear man, it's always good to take one's time and release a good product than to rush it and release a less than subpar product.

• 5 months later...