Dragon Quest Monsters 1+2 PSX - Translation Progress!

Kingcom has just posted an update to their translation site and it looks like the translation (and hacking) for DQM 1+2 PSX is being worked on again and has been moved up in the queue.

Previously, DQM 1+2 PSX had to wait in line behind other such titles as Oriental Blue and Super Robot Wars F, but that has changed recently.

You can find the original post by Kingcom here. Following is the content from his update:

DQM1_2PSX.jpg

You may have heard that Square-Enix announced that Dragon Quest Monsters will be remade for the 3DS. Isn’t that great? Now you have two versions of the game to look forward to! Naturally, we still hope that you look forward to the PSX version the most.

The announcement inspired us to work a bit on the PSX game since the last update. I’ve finished the total revamp of the menu system. There were still a few issues with background text appearing over foreground menus due to the way I initially implemented it. Now everything looks the same as before, but VRAM space is dynamically allocated and freed (and plenty of it is available, more than 3 times as much than before).

I’ve been thinking about writing a bit about the work and thought process that was involved during the creation of that menu system revamp. It’s a very important hack which needed a lot of planning and many changes, yet it’s almost invisible to the user. It might be interesting to learn about the inner workings of a game and the hacking process. Is there any interest in such insight?

Aside from the menu stuff, monster and player names can now be 6 characters long, extending the original length of 5 characters. In order to do this, every character is encoded into 6 bits instead of the 8 of a full byte. More than this is unfortunately not possible as the saves are very tightly packed.

The biggest hurdle still left is the battle text. It’s a huge mess of variables and fragments of sentences that only really make sense in Japanese. It will have to be completely redone, and it will be a lot of work. Besides that, I think there are only a couple of menus left, a couple of graphics here and there, and probably other minor things.

Now, I will be honest. Some translations will be finished before others. Here is a small rundown of what to expect…

• Dragon Quest Monsters 1&2 is very advanced and the most likely to be released next
  • Oriental Blue is also advanced, but still needs a lot of annoying work. It will probably follow after DQM
  • Super Robot Wars F… the translation has slowed down, and there’s a lot of editing to be done. It will still take a lot of time
  • Xenosaga 1&2 is similar, unfortunately. The translation is progressing very slowly lately, so don’t expect a release anytime soon

I don't know about you, but this is great news to me. I have been excited about this translation for quite some time now.

Edited by King Zenith
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Kingcom has just posted an update to their translation site and it looks like the translation (and hacking) for DQM 1+2 PSX is being worked on again and has been moved up in the queue.   Previously,

I think a PS2 fan translation would relieve us from our concern over Terry 3D and DQM2 3DS.. Not 3DS quality, but highly superior graphic and sound qualities vs. the GBC games.

Yeah, it's kind of a shame that by the time they finish the game, no one will be around to play it because everyone will have forgotten about it.

Awwwww yeah. (And for the record, it was never behind SRWF, it was behind SRWJ, which was in front of Oriental Blue. Bascially... it only moved ahead of Oriental Blue. ;))

Awwwww yeah. (And for the record, it was never behind SRWF, it was behind SRWJ, which was in front of Oriental Blue. Bascially... it only moved ahead of Oriental Blue. ;))

Ahh, my bad. Still, two games were in the way and now that number has dropped to 0 games in the way. Naturally, as with any hacking / translating project, it may well be quite a while before a release is ready, but it's very encouraging to see it being worked on again.

Never post that image again.

Which one?

This one?

tumblr_ly5v7n84Ib1qb9pa3o1_500.gif

While I'm here, what's up with the font? Looks like they went with the old 8-bit font instead of Hobo in the earlier screen shots.

While I'm here, what's up with the font? Looks like they went with the old 8-bit font instead of Hobo in the earlier screen shots.

Maybe the font change was needed in order to allow for more English text per panel? Not sure, but think I like this new font better.

I dunno. Hobo's been around since 1910 and thought it fit very well. I can see why people use the old font, but I prefer something that looks nice over nostalgia. It almost looks like the RPG Maker font.

I dunno. Hobo's been around since 1910 and thought it fit very well. I can see why people use the old font, but I prefer something that looks nice over nostalgia. It almost looks like the RPG Maker font.

Given that we're looking at a battle screen either they're using one font for the battle/menu texts and another for a dialogue or they've completely switched over to this new font because it just plain looks better. No weird lowercase "g". ;)

Yep, that was the one. (See video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1AW_ef4jsw

Hmmm... on the link to the "Hobo" font that KiTA posted, the "g" still looks cut off... and in every example that pops up on a search. Are you sure the "g" isn't supposed to look like that? (I concede that you're much more knowledgeable about fonts than I am, but... I think it's intentionally like that.)

Edited by GrandAlchemist

It is a little q-ie, but the line is lopping it off. It cuts off a tiny bit of the u too.

And I'm just seeing that video for the first time. Don't know how it slipped past me!

Was there a way to do battles in the PS1 version with other people as well as trading monsters? I saw a topic here about how a GBA emulator could do that with the original games, would be nice if a PS1 emulator was able to do it with this version.

I think the way it worked is you and a friend would take each of your own memory cards, put both in one PS1, and breed/battle that way. I don't know of a good way (or even if it's possible at this point) to make that work over a network via emulators.

I think the way it worked is you and a friend would take each of your own memory cards, put both in one PS1, and breed/battle that way..

I believe this is correct.

As for playing online, Emulinker might work... or running ePSXe with the netplay plugin... but I've tried neither of these so I'm not completely sure.

I am attempting that right now with ePSXe and Kaillera. I have been able to create and join a game (using just DQM1/2PSX) and I suspect from what I've been reading that whomever creates the game needs both memory cards. I'll play some quick sessions on both machines (one of them using his Slot 2 memcard) to see if that's true. Even if you have to send a copy of your card to the master, it's still doable, just make sure you get the updated memory card file back.

SHould also mention the game comes up as "Unknown" so you will need to know the master's IP address, unless you want to try your hand at an existing server and hope you find the game among the other unknowns.... If there was a way to update the database inside the plug-in, it wouldn't be necessary.

-----

UPDATE: I GOT IT... I decided to try ePSXe 1.6 instead of 1.7... It is perfect. It keeps sync nicely (well, it should, since I have both machines local) which means it can slowdown if there's problems. Apparently the latest version of Cyberpad was built when ePSXe 1.6 came out, so 1.7 must have broken it. It was pretty cool because what ended up happening is that I didn't have to program the second controller. The game actually wouldn't allow player 1 to interfere with player 2, and vice versa! Had a nice fight vs myself and it came down to one side getting a lucky crit to kill off the healer =)

Edited by Sir Dragoon
  • 4 weeks later...

In a related note, anyone tied emulating this on PSP and know which is the best to run it on?

Any current PSP CFW will run it fine, as long as you can find a good program to turn it into an eboot. I did it a while ago, back when I was playing it in Japanese, but I forget what I used to do that. Regardless, unless there's some issue caused by the patch itself, it will work fine on any 6.xx CFW.

• 9 months later...

Just wanted to bump this to say that a new update has been issued. First the eye candy:

DQMpic.png

Now the update.

In short, it won't be done by the end of this year as previously predicted, but it continues to progress which is always great news. Sounds like they are taking their time to make sure they give it the fine polish it deserves. That works for me!

O_o Isn't this for DQ1+2? Not DQM1+2?

I might have to DL this and a PSX emu.