Sign in to follow this  
Ring Man

War of Heaven and Hell: Nokturn's Zenith

It was a magnificent sight, Somnia Castle. Dai had seen plenty, but there was a certain element of wonder, an aura of power within these walls. Then again, this was the birthplace of the first hero to defeat Nokturnus, the most powerful being anyone had ever known. He expected nothing less.

Unfortunately, after a century, the hero was gone, and Nokturnus had returned, bringing armies upon armies from Nadiria. Somnia had sent out a call for the world's next generation of warriors, and Dai had thought this an interesting opportunity to test his skills and set out on a new journey. Perhaps in his travels he'd finally find his parents.

"Topaz, Wyn. Stay with me in the city, I don't think they normally welcome monsters here. They'll only trust you with a ranger or monster master, so keep nearby." The Gold golem and the rather hyper chimera nodded in agreement.

If only because of how they stood out, Dai could see he wasn't the only one who had arrived for this call. At the nearby item shop, a young girl about his age seemed to be inquiring about the wares. Her apparel suggested she lived in a more tropical region, and she seemed a bit clumsy on her feet. Judging by her physique, she appeared to be versed more in magic than in physical techniques, practically his polar opposite.

Across the pond he spotted a man of about 20, who seemed to be conversing, but Dai couldn't imagine with whom. The only thing next to the young man appeared to be his bag and his own shadow. Who could he possibly be speaking to?

Moving on, Dai continued on his way towards the castle. His audience with the king wouldn't be for another hour, but he wanted to get to know the town lest he got lost before his meeting.

• Upvote 1

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" Chad asked Kazuma as he hid within his shadow as they approached the city near Somnia Castle. "So far, most of the other monsters have left us alone when we show that we are not going to harm them unprovoked, even with Nokturnus' return."

Kazuma cocked his head to the side a bit, "I know. But, I'm not doing this for myself. I'm sure that monsters who do not wish to fight will be forced into battle as long as this war continues." He eyed people as he passed by them watching as they looked at him in confusion. Afterall, to the people around him, he was speaking to the air. He was used to being stared at, it didn't bother him at this point. He was used to feeling unwelcome around humans, and typically he wouldn't want to be around them for too long either.

He found a quiet place near a pond with a good view of the castle. He sat down his bag and grabbed a apple from his pocket. He cut a piece off and put it in his bag for Copper to snack on. Copper was doing his best to stay quiet, he didn't like humans, except for Kazuma, as they typically go out of their way to kill off members of the metal slime family. "Don't worry, soon we will figure out what we need to do and we'll be on our way."

With 20 minutes before his audience with the king, Dai thought it best he try to speak with a few others and see if any others were here for the call and would be willing to join him.

Spotting the same girl he saw earlier at the shop, accompanied by a Man-o-War it would seem, Dai assumed from her diversified apparel that she was here for the same reason as him.

Running over, Dai noticed as he approached that her legs bore a somewhat scale like, similar to sea-life. Dai wondered if it had anything to do with scale shields, which a merchant had once sold to him a few years in the past. He would have to inquire about where she got them, maybe he could get some scale armor.

"Hello there" he introduced himself, "My name's Dai. Are you here for the king's recruitment call? I've been seeking companions if you're interested."

"Hey," Chad said raising up from Kazumas shadow, "Those two over there have monsters with them as well."

Taking a bite from the apple he looked over and saw Dai and Lily walk towards the castle. "They might be 'tamers'." Still watching them he got to his feet and picked up his bag, "I heard rumors from monsters that some tamers use some kind of magic to force monsters into submission. I want to see for myself how they 'tamed' their monsters."

"And if they were forced to join?" Chad asked.

Kazuma just shrugged as he walked towards the castle, "I'll free the monsters by any means."

Dai turned to Lily. He was surprised that she was so eager to join. Her magic would be helpful, but he could tell from the sudden jump in Topaz and Wyn's stride ( or flight as the case may be) that her bubbly personality would be just as important.

Dai strode into the castle and up the staircase to the throne room. This was quite an amazing site. He'd been within a few castles with his parents, when they had been called to entertain the children of many monarchs, but this was strides above what he knew. Magnificent silk rugs and curtains adorned the floors and walls. The colors in the stain glass windows refracted across the rooms, bathing everything in luminescent gold, scarlet and aqua light.

He hoped he wasn't late for the meeting. The it had taken a few minutes to explain the monsters were his companions and former caretakers, and he had to keep stopping to explain Topaz wasn't a statue as servants kept wondering how I had moved the massive gold golem.

Dai entered the throne room, Lily at his side. Kneeling before the king, he awaited a response

"Ah, so you're the young lad who answered our call." His majestic voice seemed imposing, yet still had a calming effect on those he addressed. "Very well, if I may have your names."

"My name is Dai, and this is Lily. We've come hoping to lend our aid to the forces of order in this world, and I have been on a journey of my own, which I hope this quest will lead to clues about."

"I see. Very well Dai. I shall grant you that which you need for your journey. Ask the guard at the entrance to the town's walls. He will grant you a horse and cart for your travels. Also, here is 5000 gold pieces. You and your companions will need to equip yourselves for this task."

"My greatest thanks, your majesty."

"To begin your journey, I suggest you head for Endor. It's a rather young city, but already bears both political and miltary strength comparable to my own Somnia. Such a nation is a prime target for the forces of Nokturnus, and the Dragonlord's army has laid siege to the city. Travel there and see what assistance you can lend them." Dai bowed, then departed for the market with Lily and their monster friends in tow.

Things were looking quite good. They'd earned the King's support, the party had a clear new destination, and he'd even gained a new companion for the journey.

So why, in spite of all this, did Topaz seem to be watching for something?

Kazuma stood in the way of Dai and Lily with Chad peeking out behind his shoulder as they walked towards the market. He looked disinterested in the two, but was more interested in the monsters that accompanied them.

"What do yout think?" Chad whispered to Kazuma.

Kazuma eyed Dai and Lily slightly and said under his breath, "I don't get the feeling that the monsters were forced to be by their side."

Dai looked over this odd man. He was the same one he saw speaking to himself earlier, but he sense additional presences to his own. Dai could've sworn he heard them say something about monsters following them by force or something. Was he talking about Topaz, Wyn, and Lily's friend Squishy?

"Hello there, my name is Dai, I'm a ranger. This is Lily. I'd say she's a sage in training. These are my... step parents I guess, Topaz and Wyn. That's Squishy over there, but he seems pretty shy around others. And you are?"

"Step parents..." Kazuma said looking over the two monsters again. "That is a new one." He grinned a bit at the idea of monsters raising human children. A nice thought. "I am Kazuma. People call me a monster tamer, but I don't tame them, just befriend them." He gestured over his shoulder to Chad, "This is my Shadow, Chad. He's been with me for quite a while now."

Kazuma put his hand on his bag as he spoke, he didn't want Copper to make an appearance. He's calm around monsters and he would come out, but with so many people around he didn't want to risk someone trying anything.

Dai was relieved. He thought they'd already had an enemy on their hands, or that jerk who always has to one-up the heroes. He remembered that guy Terry from the legend, who'd been a lot like that before he joined the heroes quest. The shadow also explained who he'd been speaking to earlier.

"It's a long story. Short version, I got lost as a child of 7, and these two found me, raised me until I was 14. Now I wanted to try and do my part in this war, and I'm also on the hunt for my old family. I've been following their trail on my travels, but tracking a pair of traveling minstrels is harder than you'd think."

Topaz and Wyn nodded affirmatively, Topaz even extending for a handshake, not realizing her fist was much larger than anyone's arm.

"A fortune teller in my birth home of Monbarbara told me that I should seek out 'a man with a heart of and for metal', but I have no idea what she meant. At first I thought she meant a metal slime, or maybe Topaz, but I still can't figure out what she meant. I certainly don't know what she meant by a heart 'for' metal. Was she talking about a weapon of some kind?"

This whole time, Dai tried to disguise his notice of the rustling in Kazuma's bag. It was subtle, but seven years in the wilderness had given him rather keen senses, and that movement couldn't have been from a shifting object. Was there a creature or something in there?

Dai decided it didn't mean much. While he didn't seem to bear them any malice, Kazuma didn't seem to fully trust them yet either. If he didn't say it, he probably didn't want it known, so he decided to leave the matter be.

"So, I was wondering, would you be willing to join us? I've never met anyone besides myself with a true connection to monsters, and your shadow friend there really interests me."

Edited by Ring Man

With a smile Kazuma took Topazs finger in both of his hands and shook it. "Why can't people see monsters like this? Not all of them are out for blood." He thought to himself. After he heard Dai ask about him joining up with them, he looked over at Chad then back to the two of them, "I typically travel with just my monster companions. Besides, don't you already have a team mate?" He said gesturing towards Lily. "Shouldn't she have a say in this?"

(Dont worry, I try to involve everyone. I'm pretty sure Ring Man does as well :) Speaking of which...aren't we still missing someone?)

Kazuma and Chad watched Lily twirl around a bit with a slight confused look on their face.

"You seem really energetic." Chad said with a slight laugh, "But I'm not going to help out with the kings request, I'm here to help out my pal Kazuma. If he wants me to help him do something to help out monster kind, I'll help out."

"It's as he says." Kazuma said with a shrug, "I'm here more to help monsters then people. I don't want monsters to be dragged into this battle against their wills."

(NeoHopeSTF signed up as well, but he says he hasn't been on too much because of family stuff)

"So then, I take it you're at least on our side. Topaz and Wyn don't seem to mind too much. It'd be a great help and a real honor to have someone like you traveling with us."

Dai surveyed the looked to the sky, it was mid-afternoon. The weather was pleasant, and there was an air of security.

"Well, I'll give you some time to think it over. Topaz is helping me get in shape, and Wyn is still trying to teach me some healing spells. I figure we can stick around until evening, then we'll probably head out for Endor. If you wanna come with us, meet us by the city limit at sunset. Lily, same to you. Do what you want, and everyone following me meet by the gate this evening"

Dai strode away for the outskirts, his caretakers close behind. With or without companions, he would need to be at his strongest for this quest.

(You guys can kinda post POV stuff for a while. I'll make a clear post when we reassemble. Until then you may post as if your character is by themselves if you choose to separate them)

Spike woke up around 12:00 A.M. hearing a lot of noise coming from outside his house in Somnia. He got up and got dressed and heads outside, as he heads outside he can hear his mother

calling "Don't even think about going to the king and requesting to be a knight!" Spike replied "Alright!" then whispers "Yeah right." After that he heads towards the castle.

Edited by NeohopeSTF

Dai took notice of the young man on his way through town. He kept staring admirably as he headed for Somnia castle, as if he wanted to be of use but couldn't figure out how.

He decided to approach him.

"Hello there. My name's Dai, a hero in service to the King to try and bring an end to this war between Nokturnus and Zenithia. Do you know where I could find a weapon-smith? My companions and I will need to equip ourselves well before we leave for Endor this evening."

Spike is approached by a person. He greets him and asks for a weapon-smith. Spike says "Well toward the back of the town there is a weapon-smith, kinda out of the way though so I can show you where it is."

(Neo, try to make your posts just a bit longer if you feel the need to post. Try to give us a look into his mind, or outline where the event itself is going, like describe what he's thinking as they walk. Also, it isn't necessary to re-iterate what was said by the previous poster.)

"Very well, lead the way" Dai responded

This young man was interesting. Heseemed like the kind who would push himself to his limits fighting for his cause. He decided to extend the invitation.

"I was wondering, would you be willing to join us? Right now we have two humans and 3 monsters, and the possibility of one more of each on the way. We'll need all the help we can get in this fight."

Spike stopped and said "Sure. I always wanted to fight some monsters."

Once they got there Spike greeted the weapon-smith "Hello, me and my friend here need some weapons for our team."

The weapon-smith replied "Sure what kind do you need?"

Spike turned and said "Well, what kind of weapons do we need staffs, swords, morning stars?"

• Upvote 1

"Well, I fight best with a sword, but I'd best grab a Bow and arrow quiver as soon as I can, just for situational use.  I don't really know what my friend Kazuma would use, but Lily would be best off with a Wand and maybe a whip. You decide for yourself what you want Spike, I can cover it with the money the king provided for us."

Dai looked over the inventory, taking note of it.  Most of the equipment wasn't any better than what he was carrying, but it couldn't hurt to come prepared.

"I'll take a Cautery Sword and a staff of ghent please.  Don't know what magic Lily uses, so I need to be sure someone can heal.  Also, do you sell armor here, or do I have to find another shop?"

"Well, we don't have much, but I have a couple sets of iron armor and this angel Leotard that a couple of customers traded for a couple weapons."

"I'll take them"

Edited by Ring Man

"So she has a connection to monsters from the water..." Kazuma thought to himself watching how well Lily and Squishy got along. He turned away from her and said, "I have to think about joining your group. I intended to go off on my own with just my friends, but you seem like decent humans."

Chad looked slightly agitated with that remark. Kazuma ignored him and said, "I'll think about meeting up at the gate. If I don't we might meet up again at another time." He walked away waving good bye to Lily heading back to the pond they were at before. He sat down and put his bag on his lap and looked around to make sure no one was looking in his direction. When he deemed it was cleear he opened the top and let Copper get some fresh air.

"What do you two think about teaming up with those two humans?" He asked the two.

Copper bounced around happily. He seemed to have noticed the pressence of the monsters in the group.

"Common, say 'yes' or 'no'" Kazuma said saying 'yes' and 'no' slowly. Copper reponded with a random sound. "You're probably still too young to pick up human speech."

"I don't like it." Chad said wrapping around to the front of Kazuma crossing his arms. "We have been fine with just the three of us for this long. Why can't we just keep it that way."

Kazuma sighed, "If we are going to solve this problem we need to have more people to help us." He held his left hand out and eyed the empty ring that Chad gave him when he first joined him. "Besides, if i travel with more people who seem to be good around monsters i might be able to figure out how to get this ring to work properly. I can make monsters calm, but can't get them to join."

"Well," Spike said "I'll just take an Iron Sword."

As they left the shop Spike asked to Dai "So what monsters do you expect to fight?"

Edited by NeohopeSTF

Dai turned to Spike.

"I'm not entirely sure myself. Most of the monsters I've met on my travels were usually quite tame, but lately this war has spread an evil influence and even some of the most docile creatures have turned berserk. I'd prefer to keep the fighting to a minimum, since it seems not all monsters, like Topaz and Wyn, are effected."

As they walked, Dai's mind recalled those feelings of helplessness a few months before. Wyn's own mother had gone berserk, and they'd nearly been forced to kill her during her rampage. She was fine now, but he wasn't gonna let anything like that happen again.

"My policy is I don't fight unless challenged, and even then I'd prefer not to kill. The only ones that are kill on sight are Nokturnus' commanders. Even the monsters from Nadiria seem to have had a sense of honor. Let's try to keep the blood shed to a minimum."

"Oh, hey Lily. This is Spike, and he said he'd be joining us on this journey. Nice to have another companion."

Dai reached into his pack and brought out some equipment

"I had a few things on me, but I dropped by the shop earlier. Here's a boomerang for Squishy I found on my way to town. I also got you this Angel Leotard and a staff of Ghent. I wasn't sure what type of magic you specialized in, but this'll come in handy for healing. Keep it on hand."

"Assuming Kazuma decides to join us, I got him this Cautery sword, and I think I have a scale shield in here somewhere."

(I have no idea how to delete this post, so just a quick OOC heads up. Since DJ BlackJack joined, I now have someone to play the villains. Now that I've resolved that issue, everyone try to make one or two more posts, then the party heads out for Endor)

Edited by Ring Man

"Anyway, if anyone needs me, I'll be training at the gate until sundown, meet me there when you're ready to go"

(Basically, once everyone posts that they're done in town, mention heading to the gate. Once everyone is there, we head for Endor)

Kazuma sat around the pond talking to both Chad and Copper about what kind of journey they are going to be getting into. Chad still didn't seem all that thrilled about teaming up with other humans though.

"It's getting to be that time." Kazuma said looking up at the sky. "I'm not sure how well you are going to handle things Copper, but I will make sure you stay safe from everyone. If they dare try to attack you..." He paused and looked at Copper's worried expression. Kazuma just grinned, getting to his feet and said, "Well, we will figure out what to do when we reach that point."

Chad disappeared into Kazuma's shadow as he closed his bag and headed towards the town gate.