Sign in to follow this  
Winter

Who will be importing and is interested in teaming up?

The Wii is not IP blocked, And i would import the game as well but i don't have a Japanese Wii. I want one though for Monster Hunter G as well. I may get one in the future or the new Wii if it can still play normal Wii games.

for realtime battle issues, i guess you need someone to record the texts for the battle since it would be quiet serious to translate and focus to battle at the same timee : p will you also translate some texts during certain story events? i think it would help the fans here to be a bit more comprehend the story of the game and what really was going on out there loll.... (sorry for basic advises, can't help making a more complicated advises... XP)

I might translate the commands for battle and place them here, but there is certainly going to be way too much text to type it up and translate the whole story portion of the game here. I'll probably use the in game chat or the chat here or something to communicate the translation of what is currently happening in the game to the people I'm playing with.

I don't know what's more awesome. The fact that your mom plays DQ or the fact that you were able to help her play DQ. I don't think they're going to be harsh on this for the simple reason of the Japanese VC that I accessed and downloads for Pokemon games.

I lent her DQMJ and my DS for her to play over a vacation. She had played things like Adventure back in the day, so she never had any issues with video games in general, and slimes are cute. Since DQIX had multiplayer most of the time I could just read what was on my screen as we played.

The Wii is not IP blocked, And i would import the game as well but i don't have a Japanese Wii. I want one though for Monster Hunter G as well. I may get one in the future or the new Wii if it can still play normal Wii games.

Well, you could always also install homebrew on your current (or a new) Wii and install Gecko Loader (I think that is what it is called).

How does the homebrew work? Would the homebrew and Gecko still let me get into the Wii store?

I have not had time to dig into the Wii's options because it is at my BF's house, but I would like to be able to play my DQ Japanese games. But I would also like to be able to fully use my Wii's store.

Also, the current Yen / Dollar rate is awful... Buying imports had not been so bad as it has been lately...

Mimas, I would like to warn you that just because your credit card worked physically in Japan doesn't mean that the same will go for an online transaction. I have bought stuff from the Hong Kong PSN and was forced to buy a HK PSN card to do so because I couldn't even enter my credit card in. They didn't allow me to select the state I bank in as it would only allow for Hong Kong locations to be selected from the drop down list, and that is vital information. If FFXI's payment system is any indication, Square-Enix is going to require a billing address. Just make sure they let you select your country before you waste all that money importing.

Edited by Lothis

How does the homebrew work? Would the homebrew and Gecko still let me get into the Wii store?

I have not had time to dig into the Wii's options because it is at my BF's house, but I would like to be able to play my DQ Japanese games. But I would also like to be able to fully use my Wii's store.

Also, the current Yen / Dollar rate is awful... Buying imports had not been so bad as it has been lately...

The exchange rate is why I haven't picked up Morimori 3 yet. Little point to pay that much money when I don't even have the system to play it on.

I don't believe the homebrew doesn't stop you from accessing the store. As long as your Wii is updated you can access the store. But I haven't been keeping up on if the latest version of homebrew is in danger of being erased by updates.

Mimas, I would like to warn you that just because your credit card worked physically in Japan doesn't mean that the same will go for an online transaction. I have bought stuff from the Hong Kong PSN and was forced to buy a HK PSN card to do so because I couldn't even enter my credit card in. They didn't allow me to select the state I bank in as it would only allow for Hong Kong locations to be selected from the drop down list, and that is vital information. If FFXI's payment system is any indication, Square-Enix is going to require a billing address. Just make sure they let you select your country before you waste all that money importing.

I don't understand. Why did you have to state which state you bank in?:

In anycase I have also purchased points from a Japanese DSi so I don't think it will be that bad. I still have friends in Japan or can use proxy services anyways.

As much as I want to, I'm probably not going to import DQX, for a few reasons. Mostly, because I don't want to risk damaging my wii by modding it. And in any case, the lag between a US Wii and a JPN Wii will be terrible.

I won't import, i believe. If the game comes to the states though, I will play it, even for a monthly charge, but probably only for a short period for the monthly charge. I love Dragon Quest enough to make a small sacrifice in my wallet, just not enough to attempt to import it.

Should it never come to the states, I'd really have no qualms on hacking my wii to play it offline at least, even if I'm just fumbling around.

Id hope someone in japan comes out with a translation to patch the game...because im gonna be pulling my hair out waiting for it to come out to North America...just the thought of this came coming out is anticipation enough lmao.

also there are non-damaging ways of modding your wii. i suggest you take a trip down to your local asian market/mall and ask around

Isn't the Wii import-friendly like the pre DSi games?

The Wii is not region free, but it is very easy to make it region free. You just need to get the Homebrew channel installed and then download Geko Loader (I think that is what it's called). Installing the Homebrew channel might require purchasing or renting a game that they have an exploit for depending on if your Wii is updated or not, but it doesn't require any hardware modifications to play Japanese games.

Another reason I'll avoid importing is that a lot of online JRPGs in the past require you to be a Japanese citizen to sign up to play the Japanese version. Monster Hunter Frontier and Phantasy Star both had this requirement.

There is also the Letterbomb exploit. I've been watching that one for awhile to see if N tries to patch it, which based on how it works, I don't think they can without hurting legit messages from being sent to you. I've been waiting to import something before I fire it up.

No offense to anyone and I'm not trying to be a jerk though it seems more people are not choosing to import this compared to those who are. I am looking for those who DO want to import. So if you are not importing, I would prefer you post in a separate topic.

I knew going in that there would only be a few people willing to import and I was looking for those people. Barring any crazy circumstances (i.e. you have to live in Japan to play the game), I will not be playing the English version, only the Japanese version.

I will import once I hear that someone was able to play it in the US. Is there any word on if anyone outside of Japan was able to play the beta?

(I have Homebrew and Gecko btw)