What is presently going on between you and DQ/DW?

Figured most of us come into contact with Dragon Quest and Dragon Warrior on a very regular basis, so I figured it might be nice to have a thread to post all of the exploits that we undertake. This is good for topics that aren't necessarily worthy of their own thread.

I'll Start:

I played Dragon Quest V for about 3 hours today. Not doing a special run or anything since this is my first playthrough of the game (I've played IV, VI, VIII and IX). I'm about 10 hours into it, but I'm a heavy grinder so as far as plot goes I may not be as far as I should be. I like the monster recruitment system so far, though I wish the monsters in the wagon leveled while I was in dungeons.

(Any DQ V advice would be appreciated)

Other than that I decided to look into emulators for the first time thanks to this site. I've now downloaded ROM versions of Dragon Warrior I, III, and Monsters.

Also, I have been heavily considering purchasing Dragon Warrior VII, as it's at the lowest price its been in a while on amazon, and I just got an amazon gift certificate. (I really want VII to be the next DQ/DW game I play).

I look forward to reading what you all have to say, and hope you enjoy the thread!

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We weren't on speaking terms for a year or so. For some reason I put down DQIX about 40 hours into it and walked away from gaming altogether for a while. Then this summer I picked up DQVI as I'd nev

Nothing right now, which is odd because I usually have at least one DQ game on the go. Actually nevermind, I have Fortune Street on the go so I guess that counts. Gaming wise I'm pretty busy with Sk

I have been playing DQ IX with my BF these past weeks. Also, DQ IX in Japanese leveling up two new characters.   A Hyunckel picture (from Dai no Daibôken) is in the coloring phase (and may remain t

I've been steadily playing Dragon Warrior 1 on a Gameboy Color Emulator for my "Let's Play!" series and plan on putting some time into that today.

I've also been playing DQIV: Chapters of the Chosen for the DS whenever I find time (I keep it on my person just in case). Although I own the original NES cart I never played it but I can say for a fact I am enjoying the remake.

Looking at www.amiami.com and I'm considering dropping some of my next paycheck into the vinyl figure of the DQ1 hero.

I've been playing DQM:Joker (the first one), but that's kind of on hold right now, since I'm distracted by other games at the moment and, frankly, that's a pretty slow game. Once I get back to DQM:J and finish it, I think my next DQ game will be DQ VI on the Super Famicom, since I still haven't played that one. Actually, I haven't played VIII yet either. I know, I know. I'm slacking.

I've been playing DQM:Joker (the first one), but that's kind of on hold right now, since I'm distracted by other games at the moment and, frankly, that's a pretty slow game. Once I get back to DQM:J and finish it, I think my next DQ game will be DQ VI on the Super Famicom, since I still haven't played that one. Actually, I haven't played VIII yet either. I know, I know. I'm slacking.

Lol, you are slacking!! Get back to DQMJ and play Dragon Quest VIII!!! :D

We weren't on speaking terms for a year or so. For some reason I put down DQIX about 40 hours into it and walked away from gaming altogether for a while. Then this summer I picked up DQVI as I'd never purchased it when it came out. Had fun with it, so restarted DQIX and beat it. Then it was time for Joker 2, so that was fun. We had an enjoyable summer/fall together. Now I'm on to Fortune Street.

• Upvote 1

Then this summer I picked up DQVI as I'd never purchased it when it came out.

How long did you put into it before you were done? I think I had about eighty hours on my first file, and I didn't even come close to getting/ doing everything I wanted to.

This morning I played a lot of Dragon Warrior IV on a NES emulator. This afternoon I played a bit of Dragon Warrior II on a GBC emulator. If I have some time tomorrow, and I probably will, I might continue on Dragon Warrior IV.

I'm two pics away from finishing all the DQ III content for the Shrine.

I bounce between games pretty often which can be tough when keeping track of plot lines. I do need to go back and play VIII again. As I recall I never did finish that cave after you finish the game.

Nothing right now, which is odd because I usually have at least one DQ game on the go. Actually nevermind, I have Fortune Street on the go so I guess that counts. Gaming wise I'm pretty busy with Skyrim, Minecraft, Diablo II and working on the SaGa III translation.

• Upvote 1

How long did you put into it before you were done? I think I had about eighty hours on my first file, and I didn't even come close to getting/ doing everything I wanted to.

I'm no completioniest by any stretch of the imagination. The only thing I ever saw through to the end was Pokemon Firered on the GBA, I got all 150 of the original Pokemon. I think I put 40-50 hours into DQVI

I'm no completioniest by any stretch of the imagination. The only thing I ever saw through to the end was Pokemon Firered on the GBA, I got all 150 of the original Pokemon. I think I put 40-50 hours into DQVI

Wow, I don't think I could've beaten the game that quick if I tried.

Do you remember what classes were assigned to your party when you finished?

I'm currently playing Dragon Quest VI, the SNES version, but have taken a break from it for the time being. I recently completed the SNES version of V. Despite having beaten VIII months ago, it's still "in mind", so to speak and is still a "hot" fandom for me, despite it being very quiet right now. I've subscribed to DQ8 Let's Plays just to see certain cutscenes and the reactions to them.

I've written DQ8 fanfic and have made icons/graphics. Only DQ4, which is commonly crossed over with DQ, has held such "sway" with me, but that one hasn't inspired anything fandom related.

Edited by Kushiel's Whip

I'll assume he means DQVI since he just played DQV.

Wow, I don't think I could've beaten the game that quick if I tried.

Do you remember what classes were assigned to your party when you finished?

No clue, that was 6 months ago. I'll try to load it up some time soon. Gotta dig it out as I just moved.

I've been spending the majority of my time playing the GBC release of Dragon Warrior 3, and I've been fine tuning my team on Joker 2.

Really enjoying the minor tweaks and the graphical differences in DW3. The only entries I do not own in some form are 1, 2, and 7. Although I could get the former on an NES emulator, and 7 is supposedly going cheaper than usual.

I'm done with DQ until the next title comes out.

I've been spending the majority of my time playing the GBC release of Dragon Warrior 3, and I've been fine tuning my team on Joker 2.

Really enjoying the minor tweaks and the graphical differences in DW3. The only entries I do not own in some form are 1, 2, and 7. Although I could get the former on an NES emulator, and 7 is supposedly going cheaper than usual.

Yeah, I'm trying to pick up VII soon too.

I'm done with DQ until the next title comes out.

It did not cross your mind to go back and play some of the titles again?

My thoughts exactly. There is too much DQ/DW material out there to not be playing or planning to play.

As for me, I ordered DW VII yesterday and am totally exited to get it and start playing.

Edited by cprmauldin

I've got too much on the go as usual. The main things I am focusing on at the moment:

1) A playthrough of DQ8 while capturing all cut-scene videos

2) Trying to finish off the library for DQMJ2

3) Working on racking up some Renown so I can face the fifth Mirror boss in DQSwords (don't get to play my Wii very frequently...)

4) Unlocking more stuff in Fortune Street. This is very slow going for me at the moment. I wanted to do it without resorting to "Out to Lunching" it the whole way, but I will probably start that soon

If I manage all that, I will head back to DQ9 where I still have one Legacy boss that needs to be leveled to 99 (Nokturnus).

When the mood strikes, I will start replaying some of the older games too. Being a DQ fan can be a full time job!