Sign in to follow this  
Ring Man

Final Fantasy Games

Here is where I'd like to discuss SE's other huge RPG franchise, Final Fantasy.

Just talk about anything really, favorite game, topic, character, etc.

I recently picked up FF 3 and 4 for the DS, and 4 is one of my favorite RPGs ever, at least in this incarnation

Currently rotating between 3, emulated 6, and 7 with my PS2.

What's your favorite, and what's your opinion on the ones I've mentioned?

Lack of FF5 disturbs me :wd_coolslime:.

7 is favorite, then 5 for me. I don't know why, I just like Sephiroth. I get angry when he isn't in a Kingdom Hearts game as the toughest boss.

X-2 is easily the worst for me, although at least I beat that one. I have no intention of ever "beating" or even playing 11 or 14. 13 is the only other main FF game I haven't played. X-2 might be the only spinoff I played and beat (played Tactics PS1 for like 2 hrs.).

As for the other ones you mentioned, 7, 5, 4, 6, 3 are the top 5 FF games for me so I like them all.

Favorite villain is probably Sephiroth, favorite protagonist is tough. I would say Butz/Bartz or maybe Terra.

I'm currently in the process of breaking FFX by exploiting the way they do experience. Overall, the game play itself is decent. can't care for the characters. Espeically Wakka. He irritates me. Same with Tidus....In fact, the only character i can like is Auron.

Edited by Kalmana

I haven't played 5 simply because I don't wanna spread too thin between the games.

Of the FF games I've experienced, my current list (likely to change) is

1. IV

2. VI

3. VII

4. III

I haven't played too far into III yet, but so far, I feel as though VII is a bit over rated. It's great, but many of it's praised elements are now kinda standard fair for eastern RPGs. I've also put in almost 2 hours of gameplay and still seen no specific mention of Sephiroth.

VI I've heard is a fan favorite, to some moreso than VII. I personally like it more for what I've played of it than I like VII so far.

On another note, what's your opinion on VIII. A lot of people were disappointed with it coming after VII, but in retrospect, is it really a bad game.

I've also been thinking about trying IX in the future, any thoughts?

My favorite was V until I played IX. Zidane and Butz are my favorite heroes (and Onion Knight from Dissidia).

I have not played VIII, even though I own it both on CD and download file (I think my favorite will be Zell). I only played VI on emulators years ago, but I never finished it (my favorite there was Gau, and I loved getting rages for him).

I will never play XI and XIV. I hope to play XIII (and its brothers) someday.

I just realized that V and VI were released on the PSN, along with Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross. I have them on my list to buy them as soon as I can. After I have them and the IV Collection, I will have FFs I-IX (except for III) on the PSP! Gotta love my PSP. Now it only needs Dragon Warrior VII (and imports DQ IV and DQM 1+2).

FF8 is my fav.

Absolute hated FFIV. FF7 was good.

Couldn't get into FF1 so not even gonna try for FF2 or FF3 or even FF6.

Have yet to play or complete FF9.

Not gonna play FF10 and over due to my dislike for Dissidia and how they've turned the characters in the franchise to one-dimensional and pretentious characters.

• Upvote 1

I hated Gau for all the work you had to do to get him so I usually just let him rot along with Relm (yeah I picked Umaro over those 2). Besides, nothing beats Ultima anyway so the rages are kind of useless. Also, they don't tell you what the rages do. If some were the equivalent of casting an esper, then that would be cool but you have to try them all out. Problem is there are so many so you usually get not so good ones.

I liked FF8 but it is in the lower end of best FF games. I guess cause I prefer not using spells and would rather just use brute force, the junctioning didn't faze me that much. It did take a long time to draw magic though which was boring early on until you can refine it rather easily. Story was fine, maybe I disliked the fact that I would prefer Laguna as a main character.

FF9 was better. Felt like an old-school RPG, but had enough newer things to make it different and not make it feel too old-school. Vivi looks just like what I would think a black mage would look like and that's cool. Too bad the card game in FF9 was awful in comparison to FF8's.

The only one I really disliked so far was X-2. 12 was OK, but I don't know - I just felt disappointed towards the end. I didn't like the direction of the story, most of the characters were pretty forgettable too. Like how Basch was just shrugged off as a traitor so easily at the beginning and don't really explain it until the last 30 minutes of the game. Was a good payoff though, and the Occuria weren't bad, but I just wasn't a fan of the major antagonist. Maybe I was just turned off by the real-time fighting mechanic too.

Reminding me of Chrono Trigger is a bad idea - now I want to play it again but have so many games in front of it :D.

Never played Dissidia or any of the spinoffs except Tactics which I loved.

My rankings.

Great:

1 - FFIV - My favorite. I loved the story. Mages are mages and fighters are fighters. The hero is the best in the FF series. It's an actual adult individual struggling with decisions made and the wishes of his king. The characters also had chemistry, which each having their own agenda.

2. FFVI - My other favorite, and usually the one people in my era of FF gaming considers the best. The first half was better, although the 2nd half was good as well.

Good:

3 - FFIX - For some reason I really like this game and come back to play it. It has a bit of the old school feel I got from FFVI.

4 - FFI - Grew on me. This started it all and is basically an old school Dragon Quest type of game.

5 - FFXII - Really only good for one play-through, but a better than expected game considering I get cringeworthy at real time decision making. Quickenings break the game if you have good hand eye reflexes. The story borrowed from Star Wars with James Bond replacing Han Solo, but it's not a bad story. I think part of that was that the otherwise annoying 16 and acts like he's 12 "hero" is really just part of the group.

Mediocre

6. FFVIII - Better than its reputation. I liked the dream sequences sections better than the original game. The draw techniques didn't bother me either. The characters are a mixed bag.

7. FFVII - This game was a great first half. Shinra were great villains. Sephrioph is alright. What I didn't like was Cloud's "Stolen Honor" back story late in the game. That soured me a lot on the character.

8 - FFV - I liked the gameplay, but this game just seemed to be missing something with the story. It's not bad,not doesn't stick out.

9 - FFIII - Never really got into this one. It just dragged forever it seemed. Extremely difficult end boss, and I threw this game down in frustration when I couldn't quit the dungeon and save before fighting him with my levels higher from beating 4 mini bosses. I got real sour about that. I don't mind difficulty, but that's just wrong.

Bad

Ugly

FFII - Nice concept, but the most unbalanced game I've ever played.

FFX - To me, characters can make or break a game even if the gameplay isn't bad. Tidus broke the game with his bratty personality and the voice acting made it worse. The other characters aren't prizes either. I didn't play X-2 and have no desire to do so.

Incomplete - FFXIII - Just started this one. Haven't really gotten into it yet.

Gau in the SNES version of FFVI cleaned up. If he gets a stray cat. Catscratch rage is the best in the game and is a gamebreaker. Early level 2 magic rages can help too until the Espers arrive, although he's not good late game unless he has catscratch.

I could never get that in the PSX remake however.

Out of all the Final Fantasy titles out there I have played III, VII, VIII, Tactics, Tactics Advance, and Tactics Advance 2

To be concise, I'll score the ones I've played and give a brief as to why they got such a score:

FF III (DS remake)- 9/10 - Loved the character models in 3D, the class selection was fantastic, and there was a wonderful story to tie it all together, I put a lot of time into this game.

FF VII- 8/10 - I'll admit that the game was revolutionary for it's time, but having played it well after it's release, I did not get the "wow" factor that many other gamers got from it.

FF VIII- 8.5/10 - A solid RPG, the graphics were improved from it's predecessor and I enjoyed the characters and the story.

FF Tactics- 9/10- I'm a big sucker for Strategy RPG's and this one fit the bill, it also had loads of customization and replay value.

FF Tactics Advance- 9.5/10- My favorite FF title. I sunk more than 100 hours into this games intense depth and broad array of playable classes that were supported by a great story.

• Upvote 1

I have played a lot of the Final Fantasy games, but I haven't finished many of them.

I really did enjoy FF I & II: Dawn of Souls on the GBA. I love FFI anyway, and the added dungeons made it that much more fun. FF2 wasn't quite as good, but all in all not a bad game. As long as you don't choose to exploit the leveling system, it works okay. And the added epilogue was top notch.

Then there was FFIII. I got the DS version, and boy was I disappointed. Sure, it looks great. But the story was practically non-existent and the characters were cookie-cutters. Plus the fact that they weren't able to render up to nine enemies at once like they did in the Famicom version meant the battling was quite different, and for the worse. They tried to make the monsters harder to make up for only having a maximum of three at a time, but they just made it dull instead. Plus, the whole requiring so many friend-code messages just in order to unlock stuff was awful. And the bonus boss is ridiculously overpowered. I think you can gather that I didn't like it.

I'm now playing FFIV on the GBA, and so far I'm very impressed.

I haven't really played much of V or VI, so no comment there.

VII. Oh boy. Decent game. Somewhat compelling story. Characters are mostly awful. I can't stand Cloud, and I can't stand Sephiroth.

Haven't played VIII.

I love FF IX. It was pretty much my first Final Fantasy, besides playing about 1/3 of the way through FF1 on an emulator way back in the day. I can go back to this one again and again, and it never gets old.

FFX was ... okay. I guess. A lot of problems, but a few good things going for it too.

I refuse to pay a subscription to play a game I already bought, so I won't be playing FFXI.

And, contrary to what seems to be popular opinion, I love FFXII. I like the free-roaming aspect of it, the battle system is dynamic and engaging, and it doesn't slow things down unnecessarily, which I like. Plus, you can pick your battles easily enough. The characters could use some work, but the story is engrossing on a grand-scale-of-things level. Plus, the controls are spot on.

And, I haven't had a chance to play XIII yet, as I don't own a console it's on.

Despite having played all these, I only beat the first three so far though.

I've played every game in the main series and beaten most of them; II and III being the exception.

My all time favorite is Final Fantasy VI. To me, it's the best in the series.

I also really love FF IX. The setting, the music and the overall charm of the game made it one of my all time favorite games.

• Upvote 1

I've always like VI, myself.

Good story, good magic mechanics, good remake. :)

So.. Ive literally played every Final Fantasy released. Even tactics on PSX, tactics A2 for advance, FFX-2, FF11, XIV, crystal chronicles, etc... My personal favorite still has to be FFVII just because of the storyline and it was the first final fantasy I ever played, which opened the floodgates to me being a HUGE FF Fanboy.

FF(GBA)- 8/10 Really loved the job system, got too easy after a while though

FFII(GBA)- 6/10 Too easy to abuse the stat gain system

FFIII(DS)- 7/10 It was my first DS FF game and I spent around 50 hours or so on it and got bored post game. Didnt want to get onion knight gear

FFIV(GBA)9/10- Still one of my all time favorite FF's, Ive played it through 10 or so times

FFV(GBA)8.5/10- Played it when i was a kid on the SNES loved the nostalgia of playing it on GBA 8 years later

FFVI(GBA)8/10- Another one i played on SNES back when it was FF3 another one of my favorites

FFVII(PSX)10/10- In my eyes this paved the way for JRPGS in the US. Played when i was 6. Never stopped playing it. Even have it on my psp

FFVIII(PSX)7/10- Always hated the draw system but it did have a decent storyline. Absolutely hated it when it first came out as a child.

FFIX(PSX)8/10- I loved that they didnt keep the draw system in this. Great story though and another one i have on my psp

FFX(PS2)9/10- A lot of people dont like this game but I thought it was awesome. Graphics were amazing for the time. And the story was great.

FFXII(PS2)6/10- Couldnt really get into this one. Felt kind of clunky. Hated the license board.

FFXIII(XBOX)8/10- Loved the new gameplay and the characters. Snow has become my favorite hero next to Cloud.

4 was the best, 6 the second. After that there's a sheer drop off a sharp cliff.

9 was easily the best one after the SNES glory days, but was a little too cartoony if anything.

5 probably comes in fourth, but has a lot of problems. The story is patchwork in places and the endgame is a bit scattered.

Then there's 7, which could have been great but turned into an emo wasteland with bizarro nonsensical plot "twists".

1 is a classic but hasn't aged well.

2 and 3 had a lot of gameplay issues and weak plots. Especially 2, which had the worst attribute system ever made.

8 and 10 could fight forever in the ninth circle of hell as the worst RPGs ever vomited out by a high end game company. After about 2/3rds of the way through 10 I couldn't finish it, and I haven't touched a FF game since.

I've played from I-VII every Final Fantasy game, and my favourite is currently FF VI. I think its one of the best games I've played.

And the least one I like is II, because of the ridiculous level system.

Edited by Jamiras

Something I've been trying to decide is if I should give FF X and up a try. I can't get a straight answer from the fans who are always split on these games.

If I disregard the title "Final Fantasy" and just view them as story based action RPG games, are they any good?

So far I own FF 3, 4, 6, 7, and have plans to get 9, maybe 8, and I'm still looking into the above mentioned games

Something I've been trying to decide is if I should give FF X and up a try. I can't get a straight answer from the fans who are always split on these games.

If I disregard the title "Final Fantasy" and just view them as story based action RPG games, are they any good?

So far I own FF 3, 4, 6, 7, and have plans to get 9, maybe 8, and I'm still looking into the above mentioned games

My favorites in the FF series are 4,6, 9, 1, and 12 in that order. My first FF game was FF1 for NES back in the day.

I'll say this for FFX. I think it depends on your personality. I didn't like it. The game mechanics from what I remember 8 years or so ago wasn't bad. The voice acting and characters outside of Auron I thought ranged from bad to awful. I was almost rooting against the hero. Tidus killed the game for me. I thought he was a spoiled brat, with added emphasis on the brat due to the voice acting. He needed to man up. I put this right with FF2 on the bad list. If bad characters don't bother you, you might like it. There's a lot of cutscenes, so story is a big deal in this one. Some like it. Some don't. Just because I can't stand it, doesn't mean you'll also hate it. DQ7 is also divisive and I love that game.

FFIX I thought was quite a fun game. It's often overlooked, but one of my favorites in the series and had some good characters and excellent battle/level systems. FF8 gets a lot of bad reviews, but I actually liked it better than 7, although not as good as 12. It was flawed, but had its good moments once you mastered the draw system. The dream sequence characters were good, better than the main characters which are alright, but nothing to write home about. Easy game for me, as was 9 and 7.

FFXII is good for one play through although it drags. It's almost a Star Wars clone in story, although that's not all a bad thing. If you have quick hand/eye reflexes, quickenings are a game breaker. Tactics systems (Gambits) are introduced here. I liked XII, better than 7 and 8, but not better than 9, 6, or 4. The "main" character here, Vaan, is a little of a pain at times, but less annoying than Tidus in X and is more realistically just part of the team even you see it from his point of view. I don't dislike Vaan, I think because he learns over time. Some of the other characters are quite good, as are the villains. Challenge in this one varies. You can beat the game solely on quickenings, but it's quite tough not using them.

I started FF13 and got sidetracked. I'll go back to it. I like the characters so far (as I prefer grown up characters) but it is extremely linear and the skills/level system takes some getting used to. It's got potential.

Thanks for the input

If I get some time and some extra money, I'll pick up 9. I'll get 8, 10, 12, and 13 if I can find them cheap. I'm also a bit on the fence about X-2 and XIII-2. I figure even if I hate X's characters, I may check out X-2, because I'm told there's little to no Tidus, who seems to be everyone's main gripe with X.

Story is a big selling point for me, so these games certainly do peak my interest. I feel like I sometimes let reviews influence me too much. I've heard the main reason 8 tends to get a bad rep is because people felt disappointed with it after 7, but a lot of people say it's decent as it's own game.

On another note, am I the only one that wants to see a 3d remake of FF 5 and 6, maybe 7 by Matrix Software? They were the people who did the FF 4 remake, and turned it from a faded memory to one of my favorite RPG's ever with just a few minor tweaks.

I just hope nobody takes the bad rep from X-2 and applies it to XIII-2. XIII-2 is an actual sequel that tweaks the crystarium a bit. It seems pretty promising from the demo and cant wait to pick it up seeing as how much I loved XIII even though it was linear. XIII-2 is supposedly a bit less linear and allows you to use monsters in your party that you can obtain by defeating them. They level up through the use of items and the crystarium which is kind of neat. It will probably be the first hit sequel in the final fantasy series. Or at least one would hope...

I'm sorry, but I never played XIII, and I likely won't play XIII-2, which from the wiki, screams "TO BE CONTINUED~"

I'm gonna play FFIX again once I get money. O_o

I've beaten FF's:1(NES, PSX, GBA, PSP), 2(PSX, GBA, PSP), 3, 4(SNES, GBA, DS, PSP), 5(PSX, GBA), 6(SNES, PSX, GBA), 7, 8, 9, 10, 10-2, 12, 13, Tactics, Tactics Advance, Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, Dissidia, Dissidia 012, The After Years(Wiiware, PSP) and watched Advent Children(DVD, Blu-Ray). haven't beaten Tactics Advance 2, Revenant Wings, or any Crystal Chronicles games, and I'm currently working on 13-2.

Ranking them is extremely difficult as I'm probably one of a few people who really likes all the games, only FF8 did I not care for at first, I actually despised it(draw and junction systems), but piked it up like 6 years later, and now have beaten it twice and I like it the same as the rest.

Ranking's:(Main games)

1)4

2)6

3)7

4)9

5)5

6)8

7)12

8)1

9)10

10)13

11)3

12)2

I like FFV best for the fun gameplay and story that made me laugh. The party interactions are hilarious in that game. Particularly when Faris teases Bartz with a dangling rope, when Lenna sees the sea dragon for the first time (camera zooms to dragon, it roars, and zooms back with Lenna having :o face,) and when Krile/Bartz start kicking each other outside Tycoon. My others would be FFVI and FFIX. I like the oddities like FFX-2 and Mystic Quest also. X-2 because it had a system similiar to FFV and free roaming of the world. Also the ridiculous "Charlie's Angels" scenes made me LMAO. Mystic Quest was my first attempt to swap between DQ and FF so that's probably just nostalgia.

I've played FF11 and FF14 (but not the latest version.)  I didn't think they were bad games, but I struggle to get into MMOs at the best of times.

Edited by foxfirenelli

Gonna do a mini rant on FFVIII.

I can't stand anything about that game. The only likeable character was Laguna, the junction system threw too much at you from the start, the equipment system is horrifyingly irrelevant until disc 3, the game is reliant on Draw-grinding, the environment was boring, the game felt very linear, and TRIPLE TRIAD. NO. I AIN'T HAVING THAT.

Edit: whoops, didn't see this thread hasn't been posted in for a year. Sorry.

Edited by chell172
  • Upvote 1

I didn't like FFVII, due to the massive amount of fanboys with it who won't even pay attention to it's precursors, and to be honest, didn't get into FFVIII. Too weird of a title.