Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CoarseDragon

Most influential game(s) or series?

Other than Dragon Warrior/Quest and Final Fantasy what games do you feel had a big influence on games today.

Ultima, Wizardry, Pool of Radiance (A.K.A Goldbox game), The Bard's Tale, Might and Magic, Dungeon Master, and Wasteland would be my choices. They certainly had a big impact on my choice of preffered genre.

I think bet think of an RPG you have played lately and say hey that game reminds me of...?

Only thing i can about is Pokemon has had a big influence

Only thing i can about is Pokémon has had a big influence

Pokémon, originally Pocket Monsters, has certainly seen much popularity since in first came out. No doubt it has influenced many games that have come after it.

Ultima is probably the most influential, which really makes it sad to see what happened with the last two games in that series. An argument can be made for System Shock with Action RPG's or Action games with RPG elements, but System Shock was influenced by Ultima Underworld, a spinoff of the series.

Ultima predated Dragon Quest by five years. The original Ultima IV, considered a breakthrough predated Dragon Quest by a year. I doubt there would be Dragons Quest without the Ultima series. Final Fantasy I might as well be a Dragons Quest III clone. Ultima III started the four member party. That was in 1983.

The decision making and reputation areas so prevalent in Fallout and Bioware games were probably influenced by Ultima IV and its successors V, VI, and VII.

Ultima Underworld and System Shock (same people) - If you like 3d RPG's these really started it. Underworld influenced action games like Wolfenstein 3d (precursor to Duke Nukem 3d, Doom, and Quake) System Shock was a spiritual sequel to UU and led to the Deux Ex series, and probably influenced Mass Effect, Alpha Protocol, and Bioshock. .

What Ultima VII (my favorite) does best is atmosphere. NPC players have lives. They don't sit in one spot or area. They go home and sleep, go to bars, etc. Few games actually do that. They also introduced (to an extent, wasn't perfect) characters customized due to what they wore. They also interacted with most objects. They can sit on a bench for example.

I've never seen one game like Ultima IX absolutely destroy a series. In hindsight, I doubt it could have lived up to the hype, but a buggy bad action game with no party and disregarded canon is not what I expected.

Dungeons and Dragons is the most influential RPG out of all of them.

I doubt there would be Dragons Quest without the Ultima series.

"A game that I have fond memories of is Wizardry, which was popular in our office, but a co-worker of mine named Yuji Horii was hooked on Ultima at the time. Yuji kept saying we should make an RPG, but while I wanted to make a game like Wizardry, he wanted it to be like Ultima. We said to ourselves that we'd combine the interesting parts from both, and what we ended up with was Dragon Quest. So if it wasn't for Wizardry and Ultima, Dragon Quest wouldn't exist -- either in Japan or in the world."

- Koichi Nakamura, president of Chunsoft

Dungeons and Dragons is the most influential RPG out of all of them.

I doubt there would be Dragons Quest without the Ultima series.

"A game that I have fond memories of is Wizardry, which was popular in our office, but a co-worker of mine named Yuji Horii was hooked on Ultima at the time. Yuji kept saying we should make an RPG, but while I wanted to make a game like Wizardry, he wanted it to be like Ultima. We said to ourselves that we'd combine the interesting parts from both, and what we ended up with was Dragon Quest. So if it wasn't for Wizardry and Ultima, Dragon Quest wouldn't exist -- either in Japan or in the world."

- Koichi Nakamura, president of Chunsoft

True, because D&D influenced Ultima, although I always think of it as a Board game first before computer games until the late 80's and early 90's for PC.

I forgot how old Wizardry was. I never got into that series much although it's been around as long as Ultima. Those two series influenced each other.

Metal Gear seemed pretty influential. Most games before it were about killing everyone in your path, this tried to be more ninja-like. Now a bunch of games do it, some games even do both (like in Batman, sometimes you can just beat the hell out of everyone, sometimes gotta be stealthy) or give you the option to go the killing route or the stealth route.

Wolfenstein 3d and Doom are pretty influential too. Some of the first FPS and I still like playing those 2 today.

Pokémon, originally Pocket Monsters, has certainly seen much popularity since in first came out. No doubt it has influenced many games that have come after it.

Pokemon made the monster catching/raising genre popular, but they weren't the first. When it comes to that genre I'd say its all about Shin Megami Tensei being the most influential.

Pokemon made the monster catching/raising genre popular, but they weren't the first. When it comes to that genre I'd say its all about Shin Megami Tensei being the most influential.

The more popular something is, the more influential it's going to be.

I'd like to think Chrono Trigger and the Mana series had an influence on today's gaming.

All Pokemon did was make things horrid.

I tend agree with Red Dragon that Ultima influenced many early games. While about the same time Wizardry I think had the most influence on Dungeon crawlers.

I also agree that Ultima IX was horrible, unfortunately I had the misfortune of playing that game. I did like the rest of the series with Ultima IV probably being my favorite.