Sign in to follow this  
rtlyons

I would love to play this game if.....

If it wasn't exclusively on Wii systems

what the hell is square thinking? An MMO thats not available on pc? that's fail-sauce right out of the gate! They should put it on all the consoles and PC and dare I say on handhelds! Spread the DQ LOVE!

what are your "I would love to play this game if...." statements?

If it did not require the online part. I want it to be playable forever, even when the servers are taken down.

If it wasn't exclusively on Wii systems

I'd like to play the game with my friends but I don't own a Wii. I don't like having to buy a system for just that one game but I don't really have a choice.

And I would've like to have married Alison Angel, but we all can't get what we want.

I would love to play this game if I owned a Wii.

If it weren't on wii,

If it weren't for the online part,

If it were on playstation again :D

it is going to the wii, yes. but the main thing about the game is that its going to the wii u. having a new dragon quest headed to the new nintendo system in japan is a HUGE reason for the japanese to get a wii u. the way i think of it is an incentive for people to buy a wii u.

and i kinda wish the new dragon quest was on the 3DS, but thats gonna be coming eventually. maybe 2013.

other than that, the game is perfect to me

I don't think there has been a DQ on the PC yet, so I can see why they wouldn't strain to release them now. Considering the PC market is already smaller than the console market and DQ is already small enough as it is in the United States. That would just be upping the cost of development for the game and probably crippling their sales. I wanted to get this game until I learned there is a subscription based service involved and if you don't want to buy it the game is only a couple of hours long with no definite end to the story. That just makes me feel like they are cheating me. I'm sure they'll include like a 1-3 month pass for online with purchase of the game, but you will still eventually have to pay for it. Also I know its on the Wii, but I don't know if its on PS3 or Xbox360 and if it isn't that makes the online experience that much worse. I don't want to pay 60 dollars for a game and not even have close to a complete game. If I was going to play an MMORPG and subscribe to it it would definitely be DC Universe Online or Runescape over this possible flop. Square doesn't have a good running with MMO's.

if ... I was a true Dragon Quest fan? And I am, so I will be. Holy crap with the excuses. Don't have a Wii? Buy one for less than 100$ on craigslist. You'll probably get a ton of extra stuff with it.

Don't want to pay 10$ a month to play a persistent online game with 1000s of people instead of the few dozen in an average online FPS? Then get a job. Even a paperboy route would allow you to budget for this game.

if ... I was a true Dragon Quest fan? And I am, so I will be. Holy crap with the excuses. Don't have a Wii? Buy one for less than 100$ on craigslist. You'll probably get a ton of extra stuff with it.

Don't want to pay 10$ a month to play a persistent online game with 1000s of people instead of the few dozen in an average online FPS? Then get a job. Even a paperboy route would allow you to budget for this game.

Not everyone has 10 dollars to spare every month and wants to spend it on DQ...

It seems most people don't want to spend it on DQ, most fans even. Hopefully if the game is released outside of Japan, it won't have a fee, although, that seems unlikely. Otherwise, it seems like this will be the Dragon Quest game that most fans haven't played, which is a shame.Having played other MMORPGs, I personally feel the fee isn't the end of the world. I think one thing people don't realize is that aside from making the game profitable and paying server costs, that money also goes to the continued development of a game like this. Even Final Fantasy XI, which is almost 10 years old now, still sees major updates with additional content every other month or so.

Edited by Thany

It seems most people don't want to spend it on DQ, most fans even. Hopefully if the game is released outside of Japan, it won't have a fee, although, that seems unlikely. Otherwise, it seems like this will be the Dragon Quest game that most fans haven't played, which is a shame.Having played other MMORPGs, I personally feel the fee isn't the end of the world. I think one thing people don't realize is that aside from making the game profitable and paying server costs, that money also goes to the continued development of a game like this. Even Final Fantasy XI, which is almost 10 years old now, still sees major updates with additional content every other month or so.

Yea, I love DQ, but I enjoy the monster games far far far more than the main installments, I was going to purchase this however knowing of the $10 a month fee I highly doubt I will now unless its amazing. If the game is released outside of Japan which since its a new installment will most likely happen unless it flops, it will undoubtedly cost a fee. I would expect it to cost more than Japan before I expected it to cost less considering they are selling it to a much smaller market in the United States.

MMORPG's usually charge between $5-$15 a month for the game. The only thing is usually the MMO is made specially to be just that an MMO. This is taking a game series and attempting to turn it into an MMO. Thats been done successfully before, but Square's past MMO's haven't been to wonderful. Not only that, but when you play MMO's they are usually on the computer or another high-powered console. This is going to be on the Wii the weakest gaming system out there, I don't know how they are going to do it with Nintendo's no talk kinda thing, but I know its going to be a pain to communicate and a pain to type. If you need to have parties of people to beat certain bosses I can already see the problems that will arise.

Another major problem is the fact that not only are you paying $10 a month for a game on a subpar gaming console, but you also have to make the initial purchase of the game for $50(maybe more) for about 3-4 hours of gaming content.

This is all skepticism and who knows the game could be amazing, I'm just going by what its up against right now. I do know if they have that monthly fee and still include "freemium" crap like "Purchase this sword of herp-derp for 5 dollars" then I won't even consider the game. It could be the highest rated game for 5 years, but if it does that its dead to me.

Yea, I love DQ, but I enjoy the monster games far far far more than the main installments, I was going to purchase this however knowing of the $10 a month fee I highly doubt I will now unless its amazing. If the game is released outside of Japan which since its a new installment will most likely happen unless it flops, it will undoubtedly cost a fee. I would expect it to cost more than Japan before I expected it to cost less considering they are selling it to a much smaller market in the United States.

MMORPG's usually charge between $5-$15 a month for the game. The only thing is usually the MMO is made specially to be just that an MMO. This is taking a game series and attempting to turn it into an MMO. Thats been done successfully before, but Square's past MMO's haven't been to wonderful. Not only that, but when you play MMO's they are usually on the computer or another high-powered console. This is going to be on the Wii the weakest gaming system out there, I don't know how they are going to do it with Nintendo's no talk kinda thing, but I know its going to be a pain to communicate and a pain to type. If you need to have parties of people to beat certain bosses I can already see the problems that will arise.

Another major problem is the fact that not only are you paying $10 a month for a game on a subpar gaming console, but you also have to make the initial purchase of the game for $50(maybe more) for about 3-4 hours of gaming content.

This is all skepticism and who knows the game could be amazing, I'm just going by what its up against right now. I do know if they have that monthly fee and still include "freemium" crap like "Purchase this sword of herp-derp for 5 dollars" then I won't even consider the game. It could be the highest rated game for 5 years, but if it does that its dead to me.

First of all, there is no way in hell that the game wont do well in japan. Dragon quest is the most popular game in japan. second, there is probably going to be no monthly fee in north america so you can stop worrying about that. And i highly doubt that they are turning the DQ series into an MMO.

they are simply just trying out the concept in this game. they will probably go back to traditional DQ in DQXI. And judging by the screenshots and the description, the game looks promising. And the biggest mistake you're making is saying that it will be on the wii. yes, it will be on the wii but the main focus is the WII U release. the wii release is only for people who dont want to buy a new system to play the game. The WII U is much stronger, faster, and has better graphics than PS3 and XBOX. you (and many other people) are just being ignorant. and dont worry about premium content. i doubt it will happen.

Edited by Zenith Dragon

^ I have seen a lot of people ( japanese ) saying that if after a month, they are going to get bored ( underwhelming content ) or something is really off about the game they will stop playing it. Also the DQX is subpar graphic wise compared with a lot of MMO's

But DQX is far away, so many things can happen, let's hope it doesn't end up like FFXIV.

I would be surprised if we didn't get a PC port eventually.

Have they confirmed it's $10? Most MMOs in the US are $15. Although nowadays more and more are moving to the "freemium" model, so... who knows?

As long as I can play offline if I choose, I'm ok.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0

First of all, there is no way in hell that the game wont do well in japan. Dragon quest is the most popular game in japan. second, there is probably going to be no monthly fee in north america so you can stop worrying about that. And i highly doubt that they are turning the DQ series into an MMO.

they are simply just trying out the concept in this game. they will probably go back to traditional DQ in DQXI. And judging by the screenshots and the description, the game looks promising. And the biggest mistake you're making is saying that it will be on the wii. yes, it will be on the wii but the main focus is the WII U release. the wii release is only for people who dont want to buy a new system to play the game. The WII U is much stronger, faster, and has better graphics than PS3 and XBOX. you (and many other people) are just being ignorant. and dont worry about premium content. i doubt it will happen.

So, let me get this straight. I put in my 2 cents and you just decide to call it all stupid and then respond with a bunch of crap?

DQ is a popular game in Japan. Not the most popular and just because its a popular game doesn't mean it can't flop. Like I said Square hasn't done good with their MMO's this could very well be the same. Also no monthly fee in America why would a game that would cost a lot of money to import over here and then translate and then set up servers for be free for a small group of people compared to the large majority in Japan? That makes absolutely no sense.

Also its all speculation as to whether the Wii U will be more powerful than the Xbox360 and PS3 as far as facts go there is no info on it.

So next time you try to call me an idiot please make your following statement full of less info that you pulled out of thin air with no factual backing because it just makes you look like an ass.

i wasnt trying to make you look like an idiot. Now you're just pulling things out of thin air. i was just trying to correct you on some things that you said. If you think the game is gonna flop, then thats fine. i just dont think it will in japan at least. the screenshots look great. other than the monthly fee, everything else about the game seems good. i really dont see why you have to hate on it or say its gonna flop just because its an MMO. and you gotta look at things more closely. if they released the game in NA with no monthly fee, nobody is going to buy the game itself. Lots of people in NA dont even know about the game so i doubt many people are gonna be willing to pay monthly for a game they never heard of. they would make more sales in NA if the online was free. The fee is (probably) only in japan because thats where most of their fans are. Many people in japan would be willing to pay monthly since they know about the series and all of its glory. And the wii u not being better than xbox360 or ps3? whats the point of making a new system if you arent going to top the ones that are already on the market. and where did you get this $10 monthly fee idea? wheres the factual evidence there?

anyway, im sorry if i made you think that i was trying to make you look like in idiot. i hope this doesnt come between us

i wasnt trying to make you look like an idiot. Now you're just pulling things out of thin air. i was just trying to correct you on some things that you said. If you think the game is gonna flop, then thats fine. i just dont think it will in japan at least. the screenshots look great. other than the monthly fee, everything else about the game seems good. i really dont see why you have to hate on it or say its gonna flop just because its an MMO. and you gotta look at things more closely. if they released the game in NA with no monthly fee, nobody is going to buy the game itself. Lots of people in NA dont even know about the game so i doubt many people are gonna be willing to pay monthly for a game they never heard of. they would make more sales in NA if the online was free. The fee is (probably) only in japan because thats where most of their fans are. Many people in japan would be willing to pay monthly since they know about the series and all of its glory. And the wii u not being better than xbox360 or ps3? whats the point of making a new system if you arent going to top the ones that are already on the market. and where did you get this $10 monthly fee idea? wheres the factual evidence there?

anyway, im sorry if i made you think that i was trying to make you look like in idiot. i hope this doesnt come between us

Really? Cause thats exactly what that video portrays it as.

I said it could flop. I don't know if it will flop for sure, but its not because its an MMO its because Square's history of MMO's have not done well. Your argument as to why it would be free in NA makes a lot of sense I'll admit I never thought of that way, that would probably just make Japan really angry though so I don't see them having a fee for one region and none for the other.

Well to be fair the Wii came out after the Xbox 360 and was still worse than it. So yea it might be able to handle better graphics and have faster processing power, but the game will still be on the Wii as well which means it will have to be dumbed down for that and they aren't going to make dramatic changes for 2 discs of the same game.

Here is one of the many sites that confirms that the Square Enix Q&A page confirmed the monthly fee. However the $10 was a random amount that seems plausible I don't think they'd charge just $5 a month, but that could be wrong.

http://andriasang.com/comxzq/dqx_fees/

No worries.

Edited by Knitewulf

heh heh sorry about the video. i just thought it would be a bit funny because i found that video pretty funny. i kinda posted it in a joking manner.

and i guess you're right about the game having to be under its full potential since it has to be on the wii as well. and i also came across articles confirming the monthly fee. i even posted a topic about it and everyone who responded said that they were talking about the game in japan. lets just hope the fee doesnt come to NA

just want to point out, about this game being based on the Wii version, that is true. However, if you take Final Fantasy XI for example, that is based on the PS2 version , all the other versions work with it. And that game can handle party alliances of 18 players fighting monsters, events where 100 monsters attack a city and several hundred players defend it, all in the same area (Besieged), as well as battles where dozens of players fight with several dozen NPCs to attack and defend forts where swarms of monsters attack (Campaign).

The Wii is at least as powerful as a PS2, so if an internally developed Square Enix MMORPG based on 10 year old tech could do that, i'm sure Dragon Quest X will be capable of more than people think it will.

• Upvote 2

I have a question: Just how long did you all play DWVII or DQVIII or DQIX? I think we can all say those are some massive games & as long as DQX might be. Honestly I replayed them all, but didn't really spend more than 2-3 months each time playing them. It's not like you're going to pay $10/month forever. Other games will come out that you'll want to play and then you cancel your subscription to DQX. It's not a lifetime commitment.

I do own a wii, so I'm still considering this, anyone know if the game is going to support the classic pro controller? If not, then I will stay away... I CANT STAND the wiimote --- main reason why all the games in my house for the wii belong to my wife haha

I am going to play this game no matter what so I guess I don't have anything to add to this topic. I would be really unhappy if it was coming out on PS3 though since I have no interest in that system and wouldn't want to pay $250+ for a PS3 just for DQ. So I know how some of you feel. Although, the Wii is less expensive. I have a feeling it will only be on Wii-U in the US though... but I did plan to buy that system.

I have to mention...

The Gamecube is more powerful than the PS2 and the Wii is insanely more powerful than a PS2. DQ switched to PS only because it was cheaper to make games for and had more systems sold. This generation, Nintendo decided to make the cheaper/less expensive system and so DQX is coming out on Wii. I wouldn't be surprised if NIntendo has also made a deal with SE to get them to bring it back to their console. The Wii is in no way too inferior of a system to play a game like this. (I am in no way a fanboy of Nintendo. I have over 50 different game consoles.) I wouldn't mind seeing DQX released on multiple systems (if they had the ability to play online together) to try to draw in as many people as possible.

I would love to see all future versions of DQ stay on the DS. It is so much easier to pick up and play on a handheld compared to playing on a television.