Sign in to follow this  
megabob555

Dragon quest X online fee confirmed

I don't care if i have to pay or not. I am getting the game, Yes there are many other MMORPG games but, most of them suck. I would like to play DragonBall online and Monster Hunter Frontier but it's to hard to get set up, like having to change my IP address. But now something else i love is getting a MMO game and i love the idea of that. Everyone seems to love DQ9 so much but a good looking DQ game is coming out and it's a MMO game oh no! I remember in a Shonen Jump that Yuji Horii was talking about in the future he would like to do something with DragonQuest to make it a MMO type game.

I'm confident X won't be as annoying as an MMO for roiders like WoW. Whatever's cool with me. :T

I wouldn't mind too much if it was simply a "pay once --> get extra content" like what was done with Dragonfable, but a monthly fee would be much harder for me to swallow.

DQ doesn't have the following it needs to sustain that kind of popularity outside of Japan, plus I'm sure more than a few people are skeptical about SE MMORPG's after FF XI and XIV.

And has the monthly price been stated yet? it may be cheap or you may just have to pay every 10 levels or something.

No offense, but as a player of MMORPGs, that's the dumbest thing I've -ever- heard of.

NO MMORPG is cheap. All the ones with a monthly fee charge inbetween 9.99-14.99 a month, USD, and NONE, NONE of them have charged per level cap.

I imagine Nintendo and Square Enix will charge a monthly fee, considering console versions of FFXI and PSU/PSO were the same price as PC; 9.99 a month might be the price, or the game will come with a one-time online pass, like EA does, to make it so it cannot easily be bought used.

Edited by mhollan3

You say all of them charge between $9.99-$14.99 a month? Runescape charges 7.95 a month for a membership. and im sure there are tons of other MMORPGs that charge less than $9.99

And Lord of The Rings Online has expansions. The expansions grant you access to new areas and quests. Some of them also raise your level cap. So as it turns out, there is at least one MMORPG that does charge to raise your level cap. Next time don't say that none of them do something when you haven't checked every single MMORPG to make sure.

As a player of Lord of the Rings Online, I can tell you as far as I know (( Rise of Isengard )) that there is no paid-level cap. I'm L66, and I don't have Isengard. LOTRO, since it went F2P, has went out of its way to make itself accessible to F2P players. You, as I remember, can go as far as Isengard for free via Epic Story and Skirmishes.

I do not count Runescape as a MMORPG. I never will.

Furthermore, http://en.wikipedia....e-playing_games - I do my research, Zenith. A majority of these MMOS, excepting Runescape (Garbage), Arnachy Online (Good enough), and Dofus (Kinda good.) all cost upwards of 9.99 a month. Oh, I'm sure there are plenty of shitty-ass MMORPGs out there that don't cost that much, but I don't pay attention to one of the most bloated online platforms out there right now. I prefer console RPGs and Battlefield 3.

Edited by mhollan3

yes but with the new riders of rohan expansion, the cap is being raised to 85.

It doesn't matter if YOU count Runescape as a MMORPG. It is, whether you like it or not. And I dont see what is so garbage about it. its a pretty good game.

And now you say that the MAJORITY cost 9.99 and up. you should have said that earlier. Last time you said that ALL are 9.99 and up

Dude, don't nitpick like that. You know as well as I do that there's so very few MMORPGs that offer a monthly plan below $10, they're barely worth mentioning. Runescape? It's a pus-filled slopfest. Dofus? It's dead, Wakfu is out. Arnachy Online? Meh. And that's all on Wiki. there's more than thato ut there.

And with their track record, Epic will continue to be free.

I can see people saying that they spend more money a month on something like cable than they would a year on an MMORPG, but I like to look at it this way - I paid $35 for DQ9 and got over 700 hrs. of entertainment out of it. Even DQ8 I beat twice and payed around $50 for it, around 200 hrs. You certainly couldn't get that much out of an MMORPG for that price.

If this series was the only game series I cared about, I probably would buy DQ10 and wouldn't mind online fees, but for most, it's not. Sure it's bigger than any other genre in terms of things to do, but when you can pay $60 for a game that's fantastic, why pay $60 plus a monthly fee? And it's not like there aren't games out there that aren't coop that go for $60. Plus unless there is info to the contrary (haven't been paying too much attention to this game so I wouldn't be surprised if I was wrong), if the party size of this game is around 4 players, that's not really a lot. So it's not massively multiplayer in terms of parties, yet costs as much as one.

I would think they would not release the game here before charging non-Japanese players an online fee, but this is Square Enix so I never know with them.

Edited by Destructor526

It's simple. Every other console MMORPG released has had an online fee. Phantasy Star Online (( And it's subsequent sequals and repackagings )) (( Don't tell me it never had a cost, I played it from Dreamcast and on. EVERY TITLE. Several years as a HuMAR. )) had it. FFXI had it on the 360 and PS2. Everquest Online Adventures? Monthly fee.

All of these set a trend. One that this console-based MMORPG, Dragon Quest X, will follow.

"But mhollan3, Monster Hunter Tri took off it's online fee!" I heard in chat. This game wasn't a MMORPG, nor was it made by Square Enix, whos last console MMORPG cost monthly.

I see DQX costing 9.99 a month. I also see it failing horribly, as Nintendo wouldn't allow Square Enix to push out patches, content updates, etc as regular as PC. Nintendo does not have the online infrastructure for it. You can barely play online with random people, much less get updates.

DQX's mysterious USB stick will have to come here with it, in order for it to succeed. I imagine a PC-based utility that will provide regular updates. But that's for another topic.

Bottom line? DQX will have an online fee. Get over it.

That is for none of us to decide but Square Enix. Nobody can call it. Only Square Enix can. We just have to wait. It might have one. It might not. Nobody knows.

• Upvote 2

It's simple. Every other console MMORPG released has had an online fee. Phantasy Star Online (( And it's subsequent sequals and repackagings )) (( Don't tell me it never had a cost, I played it from Dreamcast and on. EVERY TITLE. Several years as a HuMAR. )) had it. FFXI had it on the 360 and PS2. Everquest Online Adventures? Monthly fee.

All of these set a trend. One that this console-based MMORPG, Dragon Quest X, will follow.

"But mhollan3, Monster Hunter Tri took off it's online fee!" I heard in chat. This game wasn't a MMORPG, nor was it made by Square Enix, whos last console MMORPG cost monthly.

I see DQX costing 9.99 a month. I also see it failing horribly, as Nintendo wouldn't allow Square Enix to push out patches, content updates, etc as regular as PC. Nintendo does not have the online infrastructure for it. You can barely play online with random people, much less get updates.

DQX's mysterious USB stick will have to come here with it, in order for it to succeed. I imagine a PC-based utility that will provide regular updates. But that's for another topic.

Bottom line? DQX will have an online fee. Get over it.

-The original release of Phantasy Star Online did not have a fee, they didn't add one until version 2.0 was released.

- Monster Hunter Tri is an MMORPG, regardless of how YOU define MMORPG.

- Runescape is an MMORPG, regardless of you YOU define MMORPG.

- Conan, City of Heroes, Star Trek Online are all free to play up to a certain level cap at which point you can PURCHASE the game, they still have no subscription fee.

- Mabinogi, freemium.

- MegaTen, freemium.

These are just the games that I'm familiar with, and Monster Hunter Tri continues to provide an example that just because Japan has a monthly fee we might necessarily not (in the states). I think that it would help the series grow and succeed in the west if SE passed over on the fee once again to improve the number of purchases of the game, but nothing is set in stone yet.

Stop trying to say it is. You aren't SE. You aren't Nintendo. You don't know for sure. Everything regarding a western release is speculation right now anyway.

• Upvote 2

Conan, City of Heroes, Star Trek online? They all started with an online fee, and if I remember right, Conan and Star Trek still has a premium subscription option.

And Monster Hunter Tri is NOT A MMORPG. It's an ARPG that you can do missions with friends with, just like the previous titles. Only this time it isn't like the PSP version, restricted to ad-hoc, you get to go online via the Wii. You can ask anyone that's played it. They will say "No." Hell, I had it, it is not a MMORPG. A MMORPG is one of the examples (Sans Runescape) you put down, and all have some form of online purchase to keep it going. Monster Hunter Tri is more like Guild Wars, where you and your friends play on an instanced map. (( At least Guild Wars has massive towns and stuff where players can interact, you can't even have more than 4 players on at a single time in a Tri session. )) A MMORPG is essentially World of Warcraft. Hundreds of people playing at once. The only reason Capcom didn't do an online fee here is because the game itself isn't -NEAR- as popular here as it is in Japan. There's system bundles and $#!& there.

The game isn't Guild Wars, where it's designed -not- to need a monthly fee. The Wii is not set up, I say again, for a MMORPG of any kind. Hell, it can't even patch its own games right. Hopefully the supposed "Nintendo Network" or whatever it's gonna be called fixes that. Even then it's going to be a hell of a ride for DQX. 512 MB of internal storage on the Wii, and not much more on the Wii U. It honestly wouldn't suprise me if the game DQX itself costed 59.99, and came with a nicely-sized thumb drive special-made for the Wii. It will likely cost 4.99-9.99 a month for online play.

Stop trying to say it isn't. You're spouting off names of MMORPGs Square-Enix has had nothing to do with. FFXI? 9.99 a month. FFXIV? Was 12.99 or something a month. Due to how FUBAR'ed it is, I don't think they're gonna charge for it till re-launch, and then they're losing money on that.

On the last part, something I didn't mention, I am glad it will offer AI and whatnot for total offline play.

*shrug* I haven't played the original PSO for several years, I just remember always having to pay for it, so I likely started with 2.0 on my old DC.

And MegaTen? You refer to http://megaten.aeriagames.com/ - Shin Megami Tensai : Imagine? Megaten, not MegaTen.

Edited by mhollan3

I have to admit, Monter Hunter isn't an MMORPG. BUT....Runescape is definitely an MMORPG. It was one of the first im pretty sure. To say Runescape isn't an MMORPG, is like saying Dragon Quest isn't an RPG.

And as you said, Monster Hunter didn't have an online fee because it isn't anywhere -NEAR- as popular here as it is in japan. Same thing applies with Dragon Quest. Its popular in Japan so it will probably get a fee over there. But over here, It isn't anywhere near as popular, so it might not get a fee.

Its up to Square Enix. Lets just hope they make the right choice

And MegaTen? You refer to http://megaten.aeriagames.com/ - Shin Megami Tensai : Imagine? Megaten, not MegaTen.

Either "megaten" or "MegaTen" is recognized, you are nitpicking. Yes, I meant Imagine. Also, the definition of an MMORPG doesn't lie in a monthly fee. It lies in that it is an RPG with a lot of people online to play with. Premium content doesn't count as an argument either since EVERYONE does DLCs and full-version purchases these days anyways.

Square Enix did in fact do a free MMO called Fantasy Earth Zero.

I think they already are charging again for Final Fantasy 14. If they can charge for that piece of junk (and I don't think Version 2.0 is up yet) then they can easily do it for DQ10. Only difference is the PC can actually handle a game like that.

If this wasn't announced to also be on the Wii, I would have said online fees automatically, but the fact that the Wii can play this perplexes me. Maybe the Wii version is a butchered version (not just in graphics).

It was announced as planned for the Wii and Wii U.

Huh. I didn't know they did that.

And while it may be planned for both the Wii and Wii U, I see the Wii version being scrapped for the Wii U. :/

well im happy to pay - i just want the game this year outside of japan, do we know when its getting released outside of japan yet?

It should be.

well im happy to pay - i just want the game this year outside of japan, do we know when its getting released outside of japan yet?

Outside of getting 5 and 6 reaaaaally late we have received all other main installments of the series.

I would say don't hold your breath until 2013. DQ9 took about a year to bring overseas.

yep i dont see it coming this year, but i live in hope well little hope

Huh. I didn't know they did that.

And while it may be planned for both the Wii and Wii U, I see the Wii version being scrapped for the Wii U. :/

Yeah, by the time it comes over the US, the Wii U should be the standard, not the Wii, so I kinda expect Japan will get the option, but we'll most likely get only the U version.