Sign in to follow this  
hadeki

Dragon Quest Monsters 1+2 (PSX) Help

I was having a lot of fun playing this game even though it's not in English (and I can't translate Japanese), but once I beat the Ice World I'm totally lost. Has anyone else played this before? I would wait for that translation to come out, but it's been years since they started that...

Anyways, there's some guard blocking the stairs to the king's chamber and name changer. And Warubou is sitting on top of the stairs to the Magic Door. So I'm stuck. I can't train and I can't figure out how to progress.

I think I have to beat the S rank tournament, but I was dumb and bred a couple of my strongest monsters right when I cleared the Ice World so there's literally no chance of me winning (I did beat C and B though).

Does anyone know where I could find an unofficial walkthrough for this game? There are a bunch on Gamefaqs and stuff for the GBC version, but no PSX. Even if it were in Japanese that would be a huge a help.

-EDIT-

I just figured it out. If anyone wants to know, you have to check all the pots in town and give your mother a sirloin or something, then check a bottle on the beach, then the top left bookcase in the library, then the lower right pillar in the arena, then the slide that goes down the tree, theeeeeen check the straw where the Dream Egg goes.

Edited by Hadeki

Glad you got it figured out. Sure is hard to solve something like that without understanding the language (and no suitable guide).

That sounds like something I would have trouble solving if it was in English....

I'm interested in playing this game, but don't want to wait for the translation can I ask how its enjoyable for you without understanding Japanese? I just wouldn't think it would be that fun guessing where to go all the time.

Oh Dragon Quest Monsters 2 is by far my favorite game of all time so I could beat the GBC game with my eyes closed. But the PSX version has a few changes, so I did get stuck not being able to understand what they wanted...

But so far it was fairly easy to figure out and playing it in Japanese is super enjoyable for me. The only real problem I had was choosing which skills to delete every time a monster learned too many. I could never remember which were which and I had to have the skill translation guide open while playing.

I have yet to play DQM1 for the PSX though, so I don't know how different it is from the original.

I tried playing the game in Japanese, I just couldn't do it. I couldn't figure out the menu. I got the talk option and the action option, but when picking keys that was annoying and the first area is a bit different in DWM2 than the original. It looks so great I want someone else to start translating it or them to release what they have.

If I recall correctly, again, Tom's still waiting on his hacker.

he is, which is going to take a lot of time. Someone else should just pick the project up.

he is, which is going to take a lot of time. Someone else should just pick the project up.

Easier said than done. Kingcom will get to it eventually, I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

I played the original Joker in Japanese and enjoyed it. Got it on release day so the translation guides were running behind where I was in the game. It's always fun trying to find out what skills/spells do what!

Easier said than done. Kingcom will get to it eventually, I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

You are definitely right, but there are websites with teams focused on translating games, I just wish they'd pick the game up instead of 2 people having us wait in limbo. If I could do it myself I would no doubt pick the project up...

While its a fun game, there is just something about not being able to understand what I am doing that sucks the fun out.

I played the original Joker in Japanese and enjoyed it. Got it on release day so the translation guides were running behind where I was in the game. It's always fun trying to find out what skills/spells do what!
Learning Japanese helps there. :P