Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ErdrickVII

Article In New Issue of Game Informer

There's a 1 page (full page) article about Dragon Quest X in the newest issue of Game Informer. Here's the cliffnotes of what it says about the game:

• Official title: Dragon Quest X Online
  • full on MMO structure
  • Customizeable player housing, auction house, crafting system, & five different playable races
  • "Lengthy story with a clear ending point"
  • Monthly fee - doesn't say how much, but there will be one.
  • Being developed internally at Square Enix (unlike all the previous Dragon Quest games)
  • Wii & "Upgraded" Wii-U versions will be available

The article also talks about Square Enix's poor track record with MMO games, most noteably Final Fantasy XI & the epic failure known as Final Fantasy XIV.

Now a few of my own thoughts:

1. A monthly fee may easily work in Japan, but it's not going to fly for the North American version. There is not a big enough fanbase here willing to put forth the dedication to be willing to pay a monthly fee for Dragon Quest. Personally, I'll be really ticked off if they do ask for a monthly fee.

2. In case you forgotten, when Dragon Quest IX was first shown the battle system was alot more MMOish/real time then what we actually got. The fandom (in Japan especially) balked strongly at the changes they were suggesting & they scaled back the radically new battle system to be more akin to the traditional DQ battle system. The only real remnant of their original plans was the fact that you can see your enemies on the world screen where you have random battles. My point? Square Enix obviously didn't learn their lesson the first time. I see the DQ fandom over in Japan balking at these radical changes yet again.

3. Let me be clear, ever since the concept of MMORPG came to fruition I've wanted to play a Dragon Quest one, I actually did play a free fanmade one based on the NES games. However, I've always been adamant that it should NOT be part of the main series. I said the same thing about Final Fantasy when they decided to do FFXI, which I refuse to ever play. I remember years ago, around the time of DQ8, they talked about doing an online DQ game but back then they said it wouldn't be part of the main series.

I smell alot of involvement from the Squaresoft arm of Square Enix here. When the Square Enix merger took place, the Squaresoft people were not supposed to touch Dragon Quest. Seems like that part of the deal has been broken. I think it's high time the Enix execs put the final nail in the coffin of the already gangreened Squaresoft arm. They've already ruined Final Fantasy, don't let them kill Dragon Quest too.

As long as the mighty three of Yuji Horii, Akira Toriyama, and Koichi Sugiyama are still around, they will not allow their baby to be tarnished.

I will take the "wait and see" approach and I also don't think it's possible to make a horrific Dragon Quest game. I will enjoy the final product.

I didn't think like IX as much as I did VIII though that still didn't stop me from putting in 300+ hours into it.

I didn't really care for that article because of their mention of FFXI and FFXIV. FFXI was developed by Square-Enix, FFXIV was not (it was outsourced). FFXI was, before WoW came out, considered the best MMO available and to this day remains the best MMO available on consoles. It has also seen vast changes and improvements over the years that most people who "have played the game" never experienced, and so they still trash the game judging how it was at its release by today's standards, which is wrong - and this also includes professionals that mention the game. It's not the best out there now, the graphics are dated and nothing will ever be able to change that since it's on PS2, but it certainly doesn't deserve the rap it gets. FFXIV was outsourced and ended up being very blasè as a result (as well as feeling like any F2P Korean made MMO you can find out there), leaving Square-Enix to try and pick up the pieces (what little I've seen of the improvements have gone leaps and bounds in fixing the numerous, and dare I say gamebreaking, bugs and bringing the game to a playable format.)

It's also not fair to judge a DQ game based on the company's history with FF games - I really doubt Yuji Horii is going to green light a sub-par game.

Nice to see Dragon Quest X getting some more mainstream gaming press coverage.

Everything sounds good to me.

@ErdrickVII - Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but you should at least try a game before deciding its not part of a series. Personally, having played FFXI on and off over the years, I can say from experience that it has way more story than MMORPG haters would ever believe, and more importantly, the plot actually makes sense (unlike FF XIII) and feels like Final Fantasy (unlike FF XIII).

After what happened with the initial reaction to DQ IX, its impossible to think that Yuji Hori and Square Enix didn't expect the reaction to Dragon Quest X at least on some level. I think that this time, they're confident that the game still feels like Dragon Quest.

Dragon Quest IX when initially shown had an action RPG battle system. It looked like it played more like Secret of Mana than Dragon Quest.

Dragon Quest X has menu based combat that comes as close to being turn based as a standard MMORPG can really come.

Will there be a fee in the US version? Will it even be localized here?? I think that might be a better question. While Nintendo has stepped in to help publish Dragon Quest games for Squre Enix, their only success has been Dragon Quest IX. Based on the weak sales of games like Dragon Quest VI and DQM Joker 2, and the fact that Nintendo of America seems against publishing RPGs on the Wii that they've published in other regions, I think its possible Dragon Quest X won't actually be released over here.

Then again, maybe i'm wrong and they do plan to bring it here and hope the online features will attract US players who couldn't enjoy the local co-op of IX. That would be awesome. Otherwise I at least have some importing to do!

I highly doubt we'll get a "full" version of it here. We'll either not get it, or a vanilla-downed version of it.

As Erdrick said, America -DOES NOT- have a big enough fanbase of the series to warrant the game. Sure, DQIX did kind of well, hopefully the sales by now met the localization costs, but...

If we aren't getting Pro, if we aren't (( I don't think we're getting 'em either )) getting Rocket III or (( Well, we might get Wonderland, we're getting Fortune Street, oddly. )) anything else...

Bah, we'll have to wait and see. But I'm sure that we won't get a "full" version of DQX. As I am sure it won't have a monthly fee in the end.

If anything, it should follow PSO's menu. Offline multiplayer play with all the players controlling a fight in tandem.

Dragon Quest is the same as the Tales franchise. They bring out what they want to here, although DQ has a far better track record. (( No announcment for Tales of Graces. :( ))

I accepted long ago that if I wanted to play Dragon Quest the way it was meant to be played, I would have to import, learn enough Japanese to get through it, and play it in Japanese.

Dragon Quest will never have a massive following compared to how it does in Japan. You either have one of two choices. You either play the "full" version in Japanese or you play the modified version in English.

Was DQIX dumbed down? If not, I don't think DQX will though we will not know until 2013.

please don't bring up Tales.. lol.. Namco is a heartbreaking tease, compared to Square Enix / Nintendo.

It's a shame .. console gaming is bigger than handheld gaming here in the States, unlike Japan. And when it comes time for another big console Dragon Quest game, that Americans may be more apt to play than the DS offerings, its a game type that requires extra costs to the point that its unlikely to ever see the light of day over here.

I really hope we're wrong about this. From all the previews though, there has yet to be a concrete mention of offline gameplay for X. The reveal that AI companions are actually other players loaning out their characters has me thinking that there is no offline at all, outside of a tutorial segment that may be similar to IX's celestian intro.