Pendy

Dragon Quest on reddit

j1ggy of IRC #dragonquest fame started a Dragon Quest page on reddit. The sneaky bastard also roped me into being a moderator. I thought I'd make a mention of it here. http://www.reddit.com/r/dragonquest/

Haha. And eight years later I see this. Over 22,000 subscribers strong now. More than half have joined in the past year.

• Like 6

Haha. And eight years later I see this. Over 22,000 subscribers strong now. More than half have joined in the past year.
Glad your reddit got more love than this topic! Haha

3 hours ago, j1ggy said:

Thank you for the Dragon Quest reddit (as somebody who's also part of the Dragon Quest subreddit).

4 hours ago, j1ggy said:

Excellent.  Now to begin manipulating to create my ninja army to use to take over the world!

Posted (edited)

Subreddit is strong and good but as long as Reddit has this abhorrent downvote/upvote system it dilutes any kind of discussion to popularity contests.

Edited by Shogil
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Shogil said:

Subreddit is strong and good but as long as Reddit has this abhorrent downvote/upvote system it dilutes any kind of discussion to popularity contests.

Upvote for truth! lol

5 hours ago, Shogil said:

Yeah Reddit is good for sharing fan content, not so great for discussion. I'll stick to here, Twitter, and /vg/.

Yeah Reddit is good for sharing fan content, not so great for discussion. I'll stick to here, Twitter, and /vg/.
Small subreddits are great for discussion. It's when they get really big that they fall apart.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

I don’t use reddit very much. The pages I do go to are groups that share artwork for different series. I never join in on discussions, but I like seeing what’s shared. The few times I have gone into the comments everyone is pretty chill and/or supportive of the work.

Posted (edited)

I like to use Reddit for the memes related to my interests, it’s sort of like a news site specific to stuff I like, and it can also make for both a good echo chamber as well as a great place to see what the opposite viewpoint is, if you know what subs to visit, but you can avoid that stuff altogether if you want to and just stick to casual discussion subreddits. And sometimes you just want to laugh at cringe content and there are whole subreddits dedicated to collecting specific kinds of cringe. For the most part I really only sub to non-controversial subreddits and visit more politically charged ones logged out.

Edited by eal

My problem with reddit is when good discussion gets drowned by low effort posts and art. Not that I have nothing against artwork or the occasional meme, it just becomes a pain to find discussion or even news on the bigger subreddits. I find that it is better for niche stuff or heavily moderated subs that prevent such content from flooding the community. Also it is full of echo chambers which can be a pain at times.

I find the upvote/downvote system there counter-productive and the general attitudes of people on Reddit to be mostly elitist. Still, there are some good discussions to be had, but you often have to sift through a lot of garbage to find it. Dragon Quest's subreddit is better than most.

3 hours ago, Liamland said:

I find the upvote/downvote system there counter-productive and the general attitudes of people on Reddit to be mostly elitist. Still, there are some good discussions to be had, but you often have to sift through a lot of garbage to find it. Dragon Quest's subreddit is better than most.

Elitist is a good word for it.  DQ, and a few other subreddits are better, but probably due to the nature of niche groups and an internal dialogue being based on love of that thing, or care for it, so there's a need to maintain some level of community structure because that's all you have to maintain those ongoing discussions over a thing you enjoy or return to real life and people who couldn't give less of a #$*! about your hobby.