Sign in to follow this  
Cesar Hernandez-Meraz

Dragon Quest X

I may or may not buy DQX, but I would wanna ride on that!

Cool art as usual.

Very nicely done, yo, especially all those scales.

I think it'd probably be faster to go by foot, though :P Unless it's some sorta turbo turtle. Probably acts more like a pack mule, what with the barrels and all.

This is a darn fine piece. Best you've done so far, in fact.

Thanks, guys. Glad you liked it. I hope I can create more DQ X fan art someday.

Any requests for a male Weddie?

Told you how much I love it in the other topic. Everything about it is awesome!

I had to click all the way to your deviantart account to see the full resolution. This forum needs a tweak..

Cuz' the full resolution is needed to appreciate fine pen work like this. Details like that is one of the reasons I love Toriyama's work so much. Reminiscent of the real thing!

I wouldn't be myself if I didn't spot one thing to crit about. Some of the detail lines on the head throw me off and make me think "ms paint". It contrasts with the awesome work you did on the neck details, shell and legs.

This new interface ignores the link that surrounds the image, but the pic I posted here is a small size, anyway. You would have had to go to deviantART just the same.

I was thinking you should draw the turtle. You are very good with creatures and monsters, and you could make it look great.

I wondered if that thing you detected in the lines of the face was because of an mistake I made. When I scanned the pic, the white space came up with some noise. This is normal, and I usually get rid of the most visible one with the brush. But I got lazy and used the fill tool, which took away lots of pixels at the edge of the lines (you can see all the outer lines are like this). I used this inside the face, too, but did not use it on the rest of the body. It was too late when I realized the lines looked weird, and I thought I could live with it... Although wish I could have taken the time to do it properly.

However, I am surprised no one has come up with what I think is the biggest flaw (of many) in the pic. Notice the perspective and the point from which we view the turtle (from under it). Then see how the chair and the boy are leaning to the left. They are not seen from the same perspective, more like if he was seen from the side. I did notice this as early as the sketching phase. I did try to correct it, but somehow I liked the boy from that perspective, and wanted the turtle to be seen just like this. I guess laziness and subconscious worked in unison to make sure the pic came out like this, because I corrected nothing, the error was still there in the end. I could only hope all the details in the pic would distract people so they would not immediately notice it (even if it's all I can see when I look at it).

Also, details on the shell were meant to distract people from the fact I could not find a good reference for a tortoise shell's side. I had a few that were mildly helpful, but I had to come up with what it should look like. I noticed not all of those shells are perfectly divided in upper and lower halves, like those of the turtles from Mario games...

Ah I hate using the fill tool in any case for the same reasons. I get my lines clean usually by only adjusting the brightness and contrast settings.

I think the perspective issue is tolerable. I agree something is a bit iffy on that one lifted leg, but I would say it seems to stiff and not really call it a perspective flaw.

Naturally when an animal lifts one leg like that the rest of the body gets tilted towards the other side. To stay balanced the rider and his seat will slide back to the lifted leg's side as a counterbalance. So to me it all still seems to make sense.

Ofcourse with a complex perspective like that there are sure to be some small errors, but that's nothing to break your head on.

Btw I think a bit of the problem for the head is the lack of lines and they seem to be more random, make less sense.

Also I don't think I would have done it any better than this. Good job man.

My bad for not making it look good, but the beak is meant to have less scales than the rest of the body. I based that on the design that's in the scans. The face is less scaly than the legs. Legs and neck look different from each other, too.

And I still think yours would look cool.

What about a group of humans sitting down around a couple of those turtles having a match of head-hitting each other. From the point of view of a small kid who is behind a few humans (a low PoV). How does that sound? I'd really want to see that, just like you did the other monster pics some time ago.

My bad for not making it look good, but the beak is meant to have less scales than the rest of the body. I based that on the design that's in the scans. The face is less scaly than the legs. Legs and neck look different from each other, too.

And I still think yours would look cool.

What about a group of humans sitting down around a couple of those turtles having a match of head-hitting each other. From the point of view of a small kid who is behind a few humans (a low PoV). How does that sound? I'd really want to see that, just like you did the other monster pics some time ago.

That sounds like a real challenge. I'm no genius at perspective. I think I could manage the perspective for those turtles, but then getting the kid in there at the right angle with adults is where it gets too difficult. I should do some more drawing though, you're right. It's been a really long time.

No need to draw the kid. I meant he was the viewer, so everything is seen through his eyes.

I imagine the turtles banging heads like moose (plural?) do on cartoons, but without horns. People sitting around them watching the show.

Your truly magnificent human on the turtle, but I have a small question, how come you do these contrasting colors?

Merci. Je n'ai pas compris la question sur les couleurs... Pourrais-tu la clarifier, s'il te plaît?

Niveau des couleurs, je voulais dire, de quel manière tu t'y prend pour les contrastes afin d'avoir des rendus comme tu as eu pour la tortue et l'humain entre autre ?

Got it. The "shading".

First I do all the colors as "solid" colors in a layer, without any shading.

I add a new layer above the color one. I set up its visualization as "overlay mode". Then I use black brush or airbrush in that new layer. Thanks to the overlay mode, it modifies the original color of the older layer, making it look darker.

In other pics, I only use the brush, which results in a more "solid" shadow. For this one I only used the airbrush, and I painted freely, even leaving no-shadow spaces as I did so.

In total, there are four layers on that image. The line, the shading (just black in an overlay mode layer), the colors and the background (solid white).

I suggest you start handpicking shadow colors for your drawings Cesar. Color + grey doesn't make for a great shadow. Some parts will need darker shadows then others and mixing blue in there makes for a much more lifelike and colorful picture.

Thanks for the tips. I will try to implement some of them slowly.

Hm... where oh where have I seen this before? :P

Still a nice piece, yo, especially the Numen / God stuffed toy. If ya don't mind, I'm gonna quote what it was you and Mimas stated before that sort of explains the pic, yo. Food for thought and such. (spoiler tagged, since it's a bit long)

Everything I put in that pic was a play on his name, since Japanese love puns above all else.

Check here.

word-matching-pattern search of romaji shin'i in the main dictionary.

10 Matches Found

å¯è¡£ã€ã—ã‚“ã„】

(n) nightclothes

心æ„ã€ã—ã‚“ã„】

(n) mind

æ·±æ„ã€ã—ã‚“ã„】

(n) deep or profound meaning

真æ„ã€ã—ã‚“ã„】

(n) real intention; true motive; true meaning; (P)

神ä½ã€ã—ã‚“ã„】

(n) divinity

神å¨ã€ã—ã‚“ã„】

(n) god's majesty; god's authority; might of Heaven

神æ„ã€ã—ã‚“ã„】

(n) divine will

å—”æšã€ã—ã‚“ã„】

(n) (1) (Buddh) dosa (ill will, antipathy); (2) irateness; anger

çž‹æšã€ã—ã‚“ã„】

(n) (1) (Buddh) dosa (ill will, antipathy); (2) irateness; anger

襯衣ã€ã—ã‚“ã„】

(n) underwear

But you also can't forget that if you remove the ' and put the romaji as Shini than it can be read as å››(shi) 二(ni) or 四二, which is 42, which everyone knows it the meaning of the universe. But at the same time it could be viewed as æ­»ã«

死㫠ã€ã—ã«ã€‘ (n) (1) (ant: 生ã・1) dying; death; (n-pref) (2) dead; useless; (pref) (3) damned

Is that intentional wordplay by Horii? We will have to find out.

Nice piece! I think this is your best one.

Thanks, guys.

I know you had seen this before, but I wanted to keep it in this DQ X thread, too. At least I am not creating a thread for each pic, like I used to do, heheheheh.

I could not post it during the contest, obviously, or everyone would have known it was mine, LOL.