Sign in to follow this  
XyferDragon

Terry’s Wonderland 3D

I wonder what it will like having Mavoleonyx and a Slime walking behind Terry. Also do you think everybody will have the name Terry?

from previous pictures it looks like the monsters won't follow you. Based on the size system as well I doubt a size 3 monster is going to look good following Terry.

Oh because this dqm13ds_004.jpg looked like the monsters where following him.

I thought that too until I looked at other pictures from that area and it shows slimes in it. so I think the slime was just after him.

Nintendo said that future games will have DLC what about this one?

Nintendo said that future games will have DLC what about this one?

I have not seen any news on that yet but it would be nice. Anyway 500 monsters will keep us busy until there is news of DLC.

I really hope they don't plan on keeping the giant monster stuff. I want to be able to build the team i want to build in this remake. I'd seriously be pissed off of they just copy + pasted most of DQMJ2's game mechanics and shoved it into DQM1.

It would mean that all the stuff i loved about the original would most likely be gone in the remake;

No stat caps

Being able to create a team of what ever you wanted

Not having to worry about those skill set things.

For me, a remake should have updated graphics, a bit of bonus content, and only slight changes to the game play so that it would still have the same feel that the original game had.

[/negativity]

With the added monster slot I can at least make a team of my favorite boss monsters, Psaro and Orgodemir.

The feel of the original will be retained by the setting, characters, story and traveller's gates.

I really hope they don't plan on keeping the giant monster stuff. I want to be able to build the team i want to build in this remake. I'd seriously be pissed off of they just copy + pasted most of DQMJ2's game mechanics and shoved it into DQM1.

It would mean that all the stuff i loved about the original would most likely be gone in the remake;

No stat caps

For me, a remake should have updated graphics, a bit of bonus content, and only slight changes to the game play so that it would still have the same feel that the original game had.

[/negativity]

With the added monster slot I can at least make a team of my favorite boss monsters, Psaro and Orgodemir.

I know what you mean, but from the looks of it that doesnt appear to be the case :/. Who knows though maybe they'll handle this game extremely well and we will all be suprised haha

4 on 4 will be fun hopefully Night Clubber won't get nerfed.

The images show monsters taking up two or three slots, so they are keeping the size system from Joker 2.

Wait... does this mean... dare I hope... will Grizzly be back and in 3D?!?! I think I might be in heaven!

Wait... does this mean... dare I hope... will Grizzly be back and in 3D?!?! I think I might be in heaven!

that is what it means. I never understood the love behind Grizzly though >.<

Grizzly is very easy to breed, and has an absolutely outrageous attack. He's a physical glass cannon.

Grizzly is very easy to breed, and has an absolutely outrageous attack. He's a physical glass cannon.

Buts its possible that it may not be the case in this remake.

No stat caps

[/negativity]

I said the same thing a few pages back. I'm sorely disappointed to learn that everything is basically DQMJ2's systems.

I went from very excited about this game to not caring at all when I learned about this.

The feel of the original will be retained by the setting, characters, story and traveller's gates.

That's really not true at all. All it will feel like is DQMJ3 with a paint job of DQM1 characters and story.

DQM1 and DQMJ are two completely different games in terms of gameplay. They have the same premise, but go about it completely differently. You cannot take the gameplay from DQMJ, put it on DQM, and say that it will play the same. It won't.

That's like saying that if you took Pokemon, and turned all the mechanics into DQM mechanics, that it would still feel like Pokemon because there's still Pokemon, Trainers, and Gyms. It wouldn't either.

Edited by Polantaris

It's not like that at all. You can't compare a completely different series to one that's simply evolved.

The mechanics were updated because leaving everything as it was would be highly detrimental to PVP. If you have any interest in online play then you should be all for the changes, and if you're only in it for the solo campaign then I don't see why it would bother you so much.

I can understand being concerned about monster sizes, but they have given us another party slot to play with, so it won't be as restrictive as Joker 2.

You can't expect them to just ignore all the progress they've made over the years.

No stat caps

[/negativity]

I said the same thing a few pages back. I'm sorely disappointed to learn that everything is basically DQMJ2's systems.

I went from very excited about this game to not caring at all when I learned about this.

That's really not true at all. All it will feel like is DQMJ3 with a paint job of DQM1 characters and story.

DQM1 and DQMJ are two completely different games in terms of gameplay. They have the same premise, but go about it completely differently. You cannot take the gameplay from DQMJ, put it on DQM, and say that it will play the same. It won't.

That's like saying that if you took Pokemon, and turned all the mechanics into DQM mechanics, that it would still feel like Pokemon because there's still Pokemon, Trainers, and Gyms. It wouldn't either.

It's not like that at all. You can't compare a completely different series to one that's simply evolved.

The mechanics were updated because leaving everything as it was would be highly detrimental to PVP. If you have any interest in online play then you should be all for the changes, and if you're only in it for the solo campaign then I don't see why it would bother you so much.

I can understand being concerned about monster sizes, but they have given us another party slot to play with, so it won't be as restrictive as Joker 2.

You can't expect them to just ignore all the progress they've made over the years.

I see the good in changing to the new standard of play. I guess that this just doesn't do it nostalgia-wise for me though. Am I going to get a 3DS for this game and buy it day 1: of course. I'm just going to have to tell myself that this is more a new game than a remake of an old favorite. Of course, it's DQ and I'll love it, just in a different way as the original.

It bothers me because it Joker doesn't feel the same in any way, to the original DQM, and it has nothing to do with Nostalgia.

Change is not necessarily evolution. Sure, there were issues with the old system, but it was unnecessary to scrap the majority of it for the changes in Joker. Joker doesn't remotely feel like the original DQM at all, and to use the new system in a remake for DQM...it's a horrible idea. If they couldn't find a way to try to make the gameplay remotely like the original game, then they should have never made a remake in the first place. I would much rather the PSX version being the only remake for DQM over this.

You can use the analogy I used, because honestly that's what DQM -> DQMJ feels like to a lot of people. They feel like completely different games where the only similarity is the name, and the base concept of the game itself. Everything else feels different. Besides, I don't see DQM3D carrying the Joker name at all. Joker is, for all intensive purposes, a sub series within a sub series(I'm not stupid, I know you won't agree with this statement here). Otherwise they would have just called it DQM4 when they originally made it.

The only thing this whole remake does for me, is tells me that the DQM I knew and loved is dead. There's no chance of getting the older mechanics back anymore. And it's a shame, because they had their merits and in many ways were superior, and could have stayed in the lead if they simply did a little work on what was wrong.

Edited by Polantaris

What older mechanics were superior? I can understand, somewhat, that people liked being able to pick and choose individual skills, but it was kinda corny, and made for much cheapness in move choices.

What older mechanics were superior? I can understand, somewhat, that people liked being able to pick and choose individual skills, but it was kinda corny, and made for much cheapness in move choices.

For me, it felt as though i was the one making the monster the way i wanted it to be. I was the one who picked every skill that i wanted the monster to have. I could also make it so a simple slime monster could take on boss ranked monsters if I put the time into it, which i did in the original.

Sure, in DQMJ I could "max" a creature to its set highest stats, but there are monsters that are better then others with the stat limits and the traits.

Heres a bit of an example; lets say i wanted a slime to be my monster for a 1v1 match against my friends. In DQM i can take the time and max out his stats and get the right attacks and skills on my monster to have him be a decent tank against friends in a 1v1 match.While in DQMJ, with the stat limits of the monster and the traits, probably wouldn't be able to stand up to someone who has a double trouble, hit squad, counter attacker and such on a 1v1 match. So a monster like Slime going up against a Conklave XY would most likely go to the Conclave.

That being said though, unfortunately like it or not I'm still going to pick up the "remake" of the game. It'll be nice seeing everything in 3D but it will not feel like the game that introduced me to DQ and got me to try out the main series. It will feel lime DQMJ:3.

I can understand the desire to use your favourites, but why would you want them to be identical to all other monsters? Is it not better that they have stats and qualities befitting their character?

Professional's rank upgrades are a good compromise, and with any luck you'll be able to do that in this game. They're never going to strike the perfect balance, but it's preferable to having 500+ monsters with (resistances aside) the exact same potential.

Joker is, for all intensive purposes, a sub series within a sub series(I'm not stupid, I know you won't agree with this statement here). Otherwise they would have just called it DQM4 when they originally made it.

Oh behave.

what sucks about this is japan is gonna get it first this year, and we might not see it till late 2012/early 2013 although the 4 vs 4 battles intrigue me :D

I can understand the desire to use your favourites, but why would you want them to be identical to all other monsters? Is it not better that they have stats and qualities befitting their character?

Professional's rank upgrades are a good compromise, and with any luck you'll be able to do that in this game. They're never going to strike the perfect balance, but it's preferable to having 500+ monsters with (resistances aside) the exact same potential.

I do want them to be identical because that is how the first ones mechanics were. With a remake it should stay pretty close to how the original was made, since they are pretty much remaking it. Yes, i am pretty much saying that i would pay to play the same exact game, but with more monsters and better graphics.

For someone like me, it would feel like if they did a remake of VII, but made it so that you could ONLY master 4 classes (monsters included) and to be able to learn a 5th one, you have to "forget" one of the ones you learned earlier.

Edited by Kalmana

I do want them to be identical because that is how the first ones mechanics were. With a remake it should stay pretty close to how the original was made, since they are pretty much remaking it. Yes, i am pretty much saying that i would pay to play the same exact game, but with more monsters and better graphics.

For someone like me, it would feel like if they did a remake of VII, but made it so that you could ONLY master 4 classes (monsters included) and to be able to learn a 5th one, you have to "forget" one of the ones you learned earlier.

I'm in the same boat, I don't want a new game - I want the old game with slight improvements... basically, exactly what the PS1 version was.

Edited by GrandAlchemist

But in this case there's a genuine reason for updating the mechanics. That would just be pointless.

I'm all for the changes because I think every monster from dracky to Nokturnus should have their own strengths and weaknesses, and not just act as avatars for identical builds.

i disagree. I like skillsets. Why? this way I don't have to do book keeping to remember what skills my monsters are going to learn. Sure the skillsets could use a bit of rebalancing, but they aren't bad. true it does somewhat limit customization, but it keeps me from doing what I did in DWM2 and giving almost all my monsters (mostly) the same skillset. Truthfully, resists made a lot more difference in DWM2 that monster ranks. As you said any monster could be given 999 stats. so Metal slimes and their near immunity to all spell effects were kings. they couldn't be damaged with much of anything except physical attacks. Which made combat annoyingly boring. Now the monsters with insane resists are balanced with stat caps.

I enjoy the advanced skillsets/stats far more than in the old ones. Way better for pvp.

Edited by Knitewulf