Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mimas

Dragon Quest New game announcement (Sept.5, 2011)

BTW, I hope that, at a minimum, this is true:

http://www.geek.com/...he-nes-2011096/

I could deal with this.

Considering the fact that the screenshots are from DQ3... It's obviously a joke from the Japanese that's been taken out of context by English-speaking gaming press.

I would pay $100+ for a new NES Dragon Quest game, though.

Hahaha.. This thread is funny. It's smells like a Left 4 Dead 2 boycott. Either that or I just farted. :P srsly

I love the repetition of the comments from FF land on how XI shouldn't have been numbered. wtf does that even mean? FFXI had an amazing story and it kept going for years. You can still lose years in it if you want - go nuts. Yes you can't complete it by yourself. Deal.

DQX is a game that they have said YOU CAN COMPLETE BY YOURSELF. Sit there and enjoy it. Play online if you want - hey, it's there anyway.

FFXIV is a game that critics said sucked balls. I don't know a single person who played it. I'm curious how horrible it's supposed to be. Cludgy UI iirc and yeah that wouldn't help. Screenshots of DQX? Traditional UI from DQI. Easy. If that's the worst part of FFXIV, we got it made.

FFXI, FFXIV and DQX are numbered entries in the series. Deal. Play em or don't. Maybe you could wait for more details before $#!&@ing :P I love panic over $#!& on an unannounced game. Everything so far is Japan onry. Are you in Japan? Do you speak or read Japanese? No, no and no? kthx stfu.

<3

Ok.I'm done with this.Can we stop hating the hackin game?I could tell you 5 awesome things about it right now.

1-It's online

Wren't you the first one to complain about the online?

...It just doesn't feel like a DQ game if it as online.I'm not saying it's bad.

I hope DQ doesn't starts being like FF.They would regret it ( probably )

I'm all for a DQ MMORPG, preferably something in an Ultima Online / Asheron's Call vibe, but not a mainline game.

But this isn't an MMORPG. It's DQ9 with the Local Wireless extended to NWFC.

I never said a Dragon Quest MMORPG, I said an online Dragon Quest. I truly hope the subscription fee is dropped when this game comes stateside, because I would gladly drop Dungeon Fighter to play this.

Man, neoGaf is like going to a mental facility, one post talks about how this news is just as worst as hearing about the 9/11 incident jesus christ

Sorry, one more complaint: What's with the gay overworld music? It's not like adventureous and epic like usual...it seems more like something you'd hear as background music for a storybook or Winnie the Pooh.

Sorry, one more complaint: What's with the gay overworld music? It's not like adventureous and epic like usual...it seems more like something you'd hear as background music for a storybook or Winnie the Pooh.

1. Gay=Stupid is a term I'd expect from some wannabe little kid, I know your better than that.

2. I quite like it, but different tastes. At least Sugiyama has stepped his game up on the boss music, IX's was sorta...lack luster.

Man, neoGaf is like going to a mental facility, one post talks about how this news is just as worst as hearing about the 9/11 incident jesus christ

I've been looking at the board on Gamefaqs myself.

most of them are not fans of the series, but those that really are, such as the girl with the slime avatar (i forgot her nickname) areana i think, have all the right to say how they feel abut dqx going online.

Aeana. Hi, Aeana!

Y'know, it's sad when NeoGAF makes GameFAQs look sane. It's even more depressing to know that a sizable chunk of the gaming industry posts there.

And don't you be bad mouthin' tha Pooh! Pooh ain't done nothin' to you.

DQX is a game that they have said YOU CAN COMPLETE BY YOURSELF. Sit there and enjoy it. Play online if you want - hey, it's there anyway.

Current reports are that the offline mode is just a tutorial/warmup for the online-required mode. AKA The Monster Hunter model.

This is geeting stupid.Don't like it? Fine ,then don't.Love it? Ok then.No need to rage about it.

1. Gay=Stupid is a term I'd expect from some wannabe little kid, I know your better than that.

2. I quite like it, but different tastes. At least Sugiyama has stepped his game up on the boss music, IX's was sorta...lack luster.

If YOU'RE going to attack my terminology, then maybe you need to fix YOURS first... :P

Anyways, the way I talk isn't the question here. The music is too bubbly and playful for an overworld theme. just another thing I'm not vibing from this game at the moment.

Personally, if they included an 8-bit NES offline full version of the game on the disc along with it, I'd shell out $50 for that, then not play the online DQX and enjoy the hell out of the NES bloop-fest.

The thing SQEX doesn't seem to understand about DQ lately is that it doesn't need to be deep and complicated and endless...I think most DQ fans (the longer-termers) would be satisfied with 8 or 16-bit games to be honest. While 8 was great and all, it was really as far as the series ever needed to evolve IMO.

My biggest issue with X, and one i had with IX, is the damn soulless characters, I want character development like VIII had!!

It's like they took everything that was wrong with Dragon Quest IX and made it into a new game.

I'll pass.

If YOU'RE going to attack my terminology, then maybe you need to fix YOURS first... :P

That's not terminology, that's being an insensitive jackass.

And your just driving my point home, maybe it isn't the most epic overworld tune but do we know it's the overworld tune? No, maybe it's some sort of outside ruins dungeon.

It's like they took everything that was wrong with Dragon Quest IX and made it into a new game.

I'll pass.

lolololol, this...exactly. On the nose.

I really hope they reconsider having an offline mode, as I really don't play online games, and my mother certainly doesn't. :/ But again, I will just wait and see how it goes! :)

I'll only buy this game in the unlikely circumstance that it supports offline gameplay that doesn't omit any inherent online benefits. No DLC-exclusive content, no "online-only" areas, no tagging/canvassing system, no added benefits for using multiplayer.

Video games should offer the same experience to all gamers, whether they're playing in downtown Tokyo or in the uninhabited Siberian tundra. Restricting certain gameplay elements doesn't benefit anyone, all it does is make the game seem more expansive than it really is. Gaming in the age of social media sucks.

I am 90% positive I'll buy this anyway. If US ends up having online fees, I may have to delay my purchase some... If an online fee exists and ends up being too much money for me to be willing to spend will I probably not buy the game. That or if something comes out that I absolutely disagree with. Dragon Quest has been good to me over the years, I don't think I'll give up just now.

That said, if the game does appear unseemly by release time, I may end up buying it used instead. :X

I really hope they reconsider having an offline mode, as I really don't play online games, and my mother certainly doesn't.

I'm sure there will be. Horii is a writer and there were a number of story bits in the trailer and previews - the cat mages were prominently featured. Remember, there was also a contest to write a little scenario for X. Going to go out on a limb and guess that you'll probably be able to play through the game offline with user created party members. If you want to access your friends, other idle players, download quests, maps, n' such you'll have to be online. Weren't character classes mentioned? With all the extra stuff that's sure to be in there, that's probably why they're referring to it as online.

One thing I'd really like someone to ask Horii is why he decided to go in this direction. He's made numerous statements on avoiding the online shut-ins, which is why he made IX's multiplayer local.

Oh yeah, one more thing...

dqhaters.jpg

http://www.cubed3.com/news/16006

And my confusion continues. This article makes no mention of online play being required at any point in time, and the Kotaku article that reported in the first place is now missing that part. On that note, why I, or anyone else for that matter ever trusted Kotaku of all places is beyond me. Optimism for this slowly, slowly returning, but I'm still not looking forward to it just yet.

One thing I'd really like someone to ask Horii is why he decided to go in this direction. He's made numerous statements on avoiding the online shut-ins, which is why he made IX's multiplayer local.

I'd imagine the overseas reaction to IX's multiplayer had something to do with it. Local only works great in a place like Tokyo where everyone and their mother has a copy of the game, but not so much in some small American/European town where only one or two people actually bought a copy. I've yet to meet ANYONE in my area who has a copy or knows anyone who does.

This is geeting stupid.Don't like it? Fine ,then don't.Love it? Ok then.No need to rage about it.

What you're basically saying is "YOU MAY ONLY EXPRESS YOUR OPINION IF YOU LIKE IT HOW DARE YOU NOT LIKE IT," and I'm gonna have to kindly ask you to cut that out. Because that's just silly.

I'm getting pissed.And I just hate breakfast.Whatever,I'm outta here

Hopefully it turns out that the game is playable offline. The direction the game is heading just seems so Final Fantasy rather than Dragon Quest. Perhaps the Square side of SE is finally corrupting DQ and we can only hope that is not the case.

From what I've seen on those videos, it looks like a online DQIX version with better graphics, and a unique battle system that mixes both DQ old battle system with some new changes... I think most of the people will like it, except for the mandatory online thing... I'm speaking for myself, because I rather play a solo game than a MMORPG...