Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mimas

Dragon Quest New game announcement (Sept.5, 2011)

While there are some pissed off fans, I actually think most of the people starting hatefests are people who have either not played the series, or have barely played the series.

While there are some pissed off fans, I actually think most of the people starting hatefests are people who have either not played the series, or have barely played the series.

You've noticed the uncanny patern as well?

People don't like the series for not straying from its roots, now people don't like the game for being drastically different... While I'll have to see about the online stuff, the single player would be good for me as long as it has a good story and good characters.

I could repect if someone didn't like Wi-Fi but hating on the whole game? I challenge at least 3 of the haters to give me a valid, non stupid, logical reason why this game deserves their hate. The sad thing is I am actually adressing a couple of the denizens.

Maybe it's me, but I don't see people hating on the game, including me. Since when does critiquing a game mean I hate it? I understand we know little about it, but the same can be said for people who would say because it's Dragon Quest, it will automatically be awesome.

The reason I am cautious about it (not hating) is that it seems to be more focused on multiplayer rather than single player. I would prefer that they make a game similar to DQ8 or any of the others before it and have a bigger focus on story rather than multiplayer. I want to see how much of it is actually single player and how much is multiplayer or if it's like DQ9 and everything can be done either way. I also need to know how they do the online because it may be good or bad depending on the servers they use and whether or not they charge.

The other reason is also why I disliked Final Fantasy 11. It's probably a good game as it sells well, but I don't do monthly fees for games. Hence, if this does it, there is no way I will buy it. I don't want to spend paying $10-$15 a month playing this game. It's no different than a person who says they won't buy a 1st person shooter because they don't like them. Again, this is a rumor and if it's just $50 or $60 (if WiiU does raise game prices to $60) and that's it, I'm cool with that. I would still prefer an old-style Dragon Quest, but I enjoyed DQ9 and if this is similar, I will of course enjoy it too.

I think we are all seeing black and white on this one. If you're not convinced about it, you are branded as hating it and if you say it's going to be great, you are branded a blind fanboy. Can I be in the gray and look forward to hearing more about it, but want to know more before I preorder it?

People don't like the series for not straying from its roots, now people don't like the game for being drastically different... While I'll have to see about the online stuff, the single player would be good for me as long as it has a good story and good characters.

Amen! I feel the same way!

I could repect if someone didn't like Wi-Fi but hating on the whole game? I challenge at least 3 of the haters to give me a valid, non stupid, logical reason why this game deserves their hate. The sad thing is I am actually adressing a couple of the denizens.

Maybe it's me, but I don't see people hating on the game, including me. Since when does critiquing a game mean I hate it?

You have to be joking. Please tell me you're joking.

what the crap! online??? horii lost his mind. i know he want to do online draque for years. but why not as a side game? onine gaming destory everything.

we alomst dont have single player foucsed games anymore.

good by draque it was very nice to meet you.

...what the hell are they thinking *cries* ?!?!? Online game?!? A damn online game?!? *cries*

Just to name a few.

This isn't critisism, it's blind hate.

Its a good move that Square Enix put emphasis on the multiplayer aspect during the event. Its causing such a commotion, its sure to reach audiences in the far corners of the world. Once that happens, they will release more of the good stuff that everybody wants. Not to mention all the feedback they are getting, will help to shape the final product to something most people will agree with.

I'm sorry. I'm wholly disappointed in DQX right now...DQ is not an MMO and never should be.

For 25 years, I've been a huge fan (possibly one of the biggest)...this will be the first time the series has disappointed me. If this turns out to be purely MMO style, then I'm out. I'm not buying it. I was already generally unhappy with DQ9, but X looks bad at the moment.

For 25 years, the main series went untouched, and for good reason...why change it now? Why go the Final Fantasy route of ruining your name with a bad MMO wannabe?

I'll try to reserve further judgment until I see single player mode...but as of right now, color me unhappy.

Name call all you want. I'm a DQ purist. The main series needs to be left alone, and anyone who supports massive overhauls of change to the DQ series, in MY OPINION, isn't a true DQ fan. I would assume that anyone who feels that being online and/or an MMO is important to the main series is probably someone who got into DQ after 8 became all the rage.

I'm sorry, I'm a DQ vet and I don't like this whole "let's focus way too much on online and multiplayer" BS that's been happening with DQ lately. It's compleyely unneeded and unnecessary, like a Metal Gear Solid MMO...it's just not what the series is about. DQ is about simplicity, story, strategy and difficulty/challenge. It's not about community, leaderboards, teamwork, and vast, endless wandering.

If I'm to accept DQX at all, it's singleplayer better be on par with all of the other singleplayer DQ experiences, and the story better be the primary focus - not screwing with a perfectly good battle system that woked for 25 years, and fumbling around with a-holes online. If there's to be an MMO built into DQX, then it better be a secondary mode, and better take backseat to the single player story mode.

That's just how I see it. This series doesn't need to evolve in this manner.

I'm sorry. I'm wholly disappointed in DQX right now...DQ is not an MMO and never should be.

For 25 years, I've been a huge fan (possibly one of the biggest)...this will be the first time the series has disappointed me. If this turns out to be purely MMO style, then I'm out. I'm not buying it. I was already generally unhappy with DQ9, but X looks bad at the moment.

For 25 years, the main series went untouched, and for good reason...why change it now?

Man, with all due respect you need to listen.

1. It's been stated already that it's not pure MMO.

The second one isn't as much for you, ENIX as it is all the haters.

2. Horii has stated that he dreams of a DQ MMO, back in 1999 I believe. For the few pwople that payed attention to that we knew there would get an MMO, it was just a matter of time.

Why go the Final Fantasy route of ruining your name with a bad MMO wannabe?

BAHAHAHA! Guys I know I've been sort of a jerk for thr last couple of days, but this is just my personality when I'm faced with complete lack of logic, now where was I?

Oh yeah, BAHAHAHAHA! How do you even KNOW it's bad yet? How do you knwo it will ruin the DQ name? How is anyone sure this will be terrible. If anyone that hates this game breaks down, buys it and likes/loves it I will shove a huge "I told you so" in their face...with good merit.

Yes, because we all know how well DQ9's multiplayer worked out. Did you watch the video? The battles look awful and clunky.

I said before, I'll reserve FURTHER judgment on it until I see more of it, but as it stands...I'm sorry, I'm not happy with what I see - whether or not Horii thinks it's a good idea. There are a dozen or more MMOs out there...back in 1999, it was new, fresh, and all the rage. Now? What's the point?

If you're going to do a DQ themed MMO, then make a DQ THEMED MMO and leave the battle system and the main series completely out of it. Make it a side game. I don't have any issues with Rocket Slime being Rocket Slime, but it's not Dragon Quest VII: The Heavenly Rocketing Slime. It's its own game; its own series; its own battle system. Experiement away! But don't $#!& with the main series.

Make DQ Online...go for it. Make it a completely new and fresh game with a new, completely active real-time battle system. that's fine. Don't make it DQ10.

Y'know, at first i was a bit upset that there wouldn't really be any backstory to the characters you party with, but then i sorta remembered something, III's party members didn't have one either. As long as the main story is good i'll have no complaints about that.

As for the multiplayer thing, I'm still a bit iffy on it, especially after IX's "multiplayer". After all the time i had it, i maybe was able to do multiplayer twice. for about 10 minutes. However, since this is going to be on the Wii i wouldn't mind just accepting the whole friend code thing and playing with people that way. Will be a whole lot easier than trying to find someone.

All in all, the game looks decent. It's going to be something i have to keep my eye on and read more about before i make any real judgements on it.

"They're not real fans, real fans agree with me."

Yes, because these fake fans would totally come on Woodus's forums just to post about how they don't like... I can't even follow this train of thought, it jumped the tracks about 3 stations back and kept going.

*head-desk*

It looks like DQ9 with a friends list and online version of the local multiplayer. I'm fine with this, although the Neir guy having his hands on it is worrying (the only thing more worrying would be the guy behind Kingdom Hearts using his magical powers to turn anything into "Random Belts, Zippers, and Buckles-covered-$#!&" that he touches on it), and I worry about talk of a monthly fee for what amounts to DQ9 with a Passthrough server. But I can definitely see where people are going to be worried, especially given that it's effectively a 90 degree turn on a series that is defined by it's conservative approach to gameplay changes.

But pulling the "real fans" card is just sad.

Oh, so you were fortunate to read that NeoGAF thread too?

Kita, I wasn't refering to this site, I was refering to sites like NeoGAF (God that site is terrible).

It's pretty bad on GameFAQs too. There is this one social board that i go to there. There are people on there that I know for sure don't play the series but are $#!&@ing about X.

Wasn't pulling the "real fans" card.

Maybe it's me, but I don't see people hating on the game, including me. Since when does critiquing a game mean I hate it?

You have to be joking. Please tell me you're joking.

what the crap! online??? horii lost his mind. i know he want to do online draque for years. but why not as a side game? onine gaming destory everything.

we alomst dont have single player foucsed games anymore.

good by draque it was very nice to meet you.

...what the hell are they thinking *cries* ?!?!? Online game?!? A damn online game?!? *cries*

Just to name a few.

This isn't critisism, it's blind hate.

you want a valid reason why i dont love the direction dqx is taking? i give you plenty.

1. i love to play my draque, myself i dont want some $#!&ing AI help, i want to control my party and feel i beat the game. i am control freak

2. i want all the time i need to look at the damm funny monsters.

3. i love that i dont know how much HP the boss have left than and thiking "hoo" he gonna kick my ass than all the sudden see him dead i dont want dq10 to tell my the enemy will die soon.

4 I dont want to play DRAQUE with my freinds, that what street fighter IV/ billiard tables are for.

5. i dont have started about how the main story will suffer because of this $#!&.

ENIX. I'm being 100% serious with this image. It entails all I have to say.

YouDaManJesus.jpg

Bravo.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/09/06/dqx_offline_play/

And that's how any interest I had in this died a horrible death. I see what you're selling SE and I don't want it.

Edit: Somehow ended up linking to the image rather than the article. The fact that the game requires you to play online after a point is ridiculously off-putting.

So the fact that you can solo the entire game is scant consolation for those not interested in mutliplayer, because they'll still have to pay the monthly subscription.

you want a valid reason why i dont love the direction dqx is taking? i give you plenty.

1. i love to play my draque, myself i dont want some $#!&ing AI help, i want to control my party and feel i beat the game. i am control freak

Did they even tell us? Maybe you can switch to controling party members? But THIS actually seems like sort of a valid complaint, yes.

2. i want all the time i need to look at the damm funny monsters.

1. You can walk around but it still manages to be somewhat turn-based. 2. How do you know they won't change it.

3. i love that i dont know how much HP the boss have left than and thiking "hoo" he gonna kick my ass than all the sudden see him dead i dont want dq10 to tell my the enemy will die soon.

It just gives you a small idea of how much health they have. THIS, not so much a valid complaint, just don't look at the monster's name if you don't wanna know.

4 I dont want to play DRAQUE with my freinds, that what street fighter IV/ billiard tables are for.

So then...don't?

5. i dont have started about how the main story will suffer because of this $#!&.

I uh...this makes no sense...please use your grammar a little better.

Long time fan of the series here; my first game was Dragon Warrior 1 on the NES. I wanted to give my 2 cents somewhere, and since I've lurked here for a while and every other online discussion about this game is full of people spamming, this seemed like the best place to do so.

First of all, I am frankly shocked at the game being online-centric. The series has been almost absurdly designed with the philosophy of sticking to its roots in the NES games, and the fact that the design team would make a mainline DQ game online-centric is pretty surprising.

I am disappointed. I feel that as though Dragon Quest 8 had its flaws, the overall polish and feel of the game was excellent. I really liked the direction the series was going, and felt like DQ9, and now 10, is going wildly in the wrong direction. I had a lot of hope that Dragon Quest 10 would be a highly polished single player experience in the vein of DQ8, but this is sadly not the case.

I'm not a fan of MMORPGs. Having said that, it doesn't necessarily mean that an online game has no place in the DQ franchise. However, I don't think it belongs in the mainline series; I would have been totally happy with a traditional DQ10 and an online spinoff, but losing out on a few and far between mainline game really sucks. I felt exactly the same way about Final Fantasy 11, actually. On top of this, I don't think that shoehorning an MMO into the traditional Dragon Quest formula is a good idea at all, which is yet another reason why this would have been a better idea if it was a sub game, and not a mainline game. That battle system demo looked nothing short of embarrassingly clunky.

While one of the arguments the apologists have is that this will still be playable as a single player experience, that doesn't exactly make me feel any better. Watching the live gameplay demo, it very much looks and feels like an MMO, and many of the quests and the world will certainly be designed to be played with online partners. They're really pushing the "online" thing; it's even called "Dragon Quest Online," so I am sure this is the case. This means that the game will not be a polished game like DQ8 was, and will end up being a diluted game full of annoying online portions like DQ9.

I am saddened by the direction gaming overall is going. Quality single player games have been all but killed, being replaced with hollow, carbon copy games and companies pushing the "online" thing in order to milk every last dollar they can. Seeing Dragon Quest follow in this path is pretty sad to me; I'm in my mid 20's and have been playing this series since I was a kid. Oh well.

Although it might be surprising to read after all of that, I'll still remain (extremely) cautiously optimistic about the game. Dragon Quest is my favorite game series, and hope it still remains an enjoyable experience, one way or another.

/cranky old man

Well I guess I won't be playing this one. What a shame it's going to be an MMO with monthly fees. If online access was free like in Guild Wars I would play it, but I refuse to pay a monthly fee for a game I have already purchased. Not only that, but I don't have time to invest in an online game.

EDIT: I'm with the people that agree that an online game is fine, just not one of the main series games. Make it a spin off game and leave the main series alone. They'll milk the cow make just as much money if it were a spin off.

Long time fan of the series here; my first game was Dragon Warrior 1 on the NES. I wanted to give my 2 cents somewhere, and since I've lurked here for a while and every other online discussion about this game is full of people spamming, this seemed like the best place to do so.

First of all, I am frankly shocked at the game being online-centric. The series has been almost absurdly designed with the philosophy of sticking to its roots in the NES games, and the fact that the design team would make a mainline DQ game online-centric is pretty surprising.

I am disappointed. I feel that as though Dragon Quest 8 had its flaws, the overall polish and feel of the game was excellent. I really liked the direction the series was going, and felt like DQ9, and now 10, is going wildly in the wrong direction. I had a lot of hope that Dragon Quest 10 would be a highly polished single player experience in the vein of DQ8, but this is sadly not the case.

I'm not a fan of MMORPGs. Having said that, it doesn't necessarily mean that an online game has no place in the DQ franchise. However, I don't think it belongs in the mainline series; I would have been totally happy with a traditional DQ10 and an online spinoff, but losing out on a few and far between mainline game really sucks. I felt exactly the same way about Final Fantasy 11, actually. On top of this, I don't think that shoehorning an MMO into the traditional Dragon Quest formula is a good idea at all, which is yet another reason why this would have been a better idea if it was a sub game, and not a mainline game. That battle system demo looked nothing short of embarrassingly clunky.

While one of the arguments the apologists have is that this will still be playable as a single player experience, that doesn't exactly make me feel any better. Watching the live gameplay demo, it very much looks and feels like an MMO, and many of the quests and the world will certainly be designed to be played with online partners. They're really pushing the "online" thing; it's even called "Dragon Quest Online," so I am sure this is the case. This means that the game will not be a polished game like DQ8 was, and will end up being a diluted game full of annoying online portions like DQ9.

I am saddened by the direction gaming overall is going. Quality single player games have been all but killed, being replaced with hollow, carbon copy games and companies pushing the "online" thing in order to milk every last dollar they can. Seeing Dragon Quest follow in this path is pretty sad to me; I'm in my mid 20's and have been playing this series since I was a kid. Oh well.

Although it might be surprising to read after all of that, I'll still remain (extremely) cautiously optimistic about the game. Dragon Quest is my favorite game series, and hope it still remains an enjoyable experience, one way or another.

/cranky old man

As much as I disagree with you, unlike most other haters you laid out the facts, you didn't...well, you didn;t dot htis...

You'ce gained my respect Stabwound.

Well I guess I won't be playing this one. What a shame it's going to be an MMO with monthly fees. If online access was free like in Guild Wars I would play it, but I refuse to pay a monthly fee for a game I have already purchased. Not only that, but I don't have time to invest in an online game.

EDIT: I'm with the people that agree that an online game is fine, just not one of the main series games. Make it a spin off game and leave the main series alone. They'll milk the cow make just as much money if it were a spin off.

They haven't decided if it'll have monthly fees. If so it will msot likely only be in Japan. They're already very unpopular in the west, pay to play would just scare more people off and they know it.

Kita, I wasn't refering to this site, I was refering to sites like NeoGAF (God that site is terrible).

We should shift our hate to a more deserving target - NeoGAF.

No wonder they love 8-4's podcast. Dicks and douchebags think alike!