Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mimas

Dragon Quest New game announcement (Sept.5, 2011)

Who is Yusuke Saito? What games has he done before?

http://kotaku.com/5837325/dragon-quest-x-has-a-subscription-fee

http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=160555

Stock kinda pbbbbfthed after the announcement:

b.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QU2nZlF5Mjc&feature=player_embedded

Oh crap, Saito is the guy behind Neir. We're screwed.

Who is Yusuke Saito? What games has he done before?

Hm, odd. Nothing about him turns up on google.

On a side-note my searrch for him lead me to a site where it was stated that you could create up to 3 characters, is it wrong of me to assume this a typo/they meant to say you could have 3 with you because in IX you could make at least 8.

Looking at that gameplay footage, my pessimism has been sated slightly. It looks like DQ9 with DQ8's art engine and Demons Souls style "Multiplayer" tacked on.

That's not a great thing -- this is 2011, not 2005. But it's better than I feared but a long LONG shot.

Man, that convention hall was SILENT though. No clapping, no cheering, nothing.

...So? VIII still looks great. Have you seen it upscaled through emulation. Looks better than most of this so-called "next-gen" roid rage Madden and shooter bullshit. You don't always need the latest and greatest hardware to achieve your art direction goals. Sometimes it doesn't matter if you use Photoshop 5 or CS 5 as long as you've got the skills.

My only complaint is I hope they give the monsters some Artepiazza style personality to the monsters. I'm so sick of the anime always on-model approach.

They were probably so excited to get news that they all kept quiet so they could hear what they had to say.

Opinions on this game as Wii Online and not Handheld/Single Player?

Online - I was thinking of MMOs like Ragnarok. Hopefully i'm mistaken, this is just taken from what i understand at the moment @_@

It looked turn-based to me. Eh, whatever. Let's just wait and see for ourselves. If NoA is gonna have any involvement at all it'd make the process quicker, they get their translations done quick.

If you don't believe me, read this. After a set amount of time passes your command menu pops up.

Sure as others have said elsewhere IX changed a lot from what it was initially shown as, so this could change as well, but as it currently stands the game isn't turn based.

Well, it was a press convention, not a fan gathering. Everyone there was there on business. No one would want to cause SE to not invite them to their next press conference by misbehaving.

First post I guess. Hi all.

It looks like FFXI ish - as in full MMO. Roaming the cities and environments make it look huge (huge like FFXI looked, but once you get used to it and know what places to go, it's fine).

I'm worried about the communication part of it. FFXI worked out ok - no idea how FFXIV works for online, but yeah.

I would say that DQIX was too short a game in part because they concentrated on the multiplayer/after game components. That makes me wonder how long the single player game component would be.

Also if it's really playable as single player, I get the feeling the environments would be too empty..... Makes me think the online and offline components would be in different areas.... Which would be weird, but yeah. I don't want to connect up to a server to play so an online mode of inviting people to your world like IX would be nice. Server negotiates connections to other people and you play in someone's world.. But this seems more full on MMO given the videos so far.

Either way, I'll prolly buy it day 1 anyway and I hope the Wii U version comes out same day as the Wii version. I have no excuses or reasons to buy a Wii U at this point, but graphics whoring for a game like this is something I could do. Otherwise I'd have to buy the Wii version and the Wii U version when it comes out.... Maybe I can play with myself on two consoles. :P

Either way, it'll be 2013 before it gets here so I'm all for more details coming. I'd also like a short localization translation time not done by Plus Alpha, but it will be. I want to blame someone for twisting the words of Dragon Quest like the accents of IVds. They put them there because SE wanted them.. Both are to blame :P To date, the scripts have been strong enough to stand on their own without inflections added to fluff it up. That's a sanguini's job

People are whining about how Nintendo's the worst when it comes to online. Really? OK, let's see here... PSN - Hacked to hell. Bunch of downtime. X-Box Live - Forced ads both on dash and in-game. Horrifying TOS and privacy policies with some games forcing you to agree to them before playing a legally purchased copy.

Yeah, no thank you...

I have more disc games for the Wii than any other system (22 counting Wii Sports). Would you like to know how many of them have online play? Just 1 - Smash Bros. The online was so bad for me I stopped trying. Lag was at least 1 second when I played my friend who lived on my block (would take at least a second for my commands to register in the game) and it was a lot worse playing with randoms. Maybe it changed in the last year and a half, but I doubt it. That's also why I didn't show interest in other Wii online games.

So I think you can imagine why people like me are cautious when it comes to Wii online whereas PSN and Xbox Live have been smooth for the most part. That 30 or so days was pretty bad, but it was great before and after it plus I got 2 free games out of it.

So I think you can imagine why people like me are cautious when it comes to Wii online whereas PSN and Xbox Live have been smooth for the most part. That 30 or so days was pretty bad, but it was great before and after it plus I got 2 free games out of it.

Yeah, except SSMB didn't depend on Wi-Fi. X looks ;ike it'll have a huge focus on Wi-Fi, therefor, they'll actually give a crap about it.

For example, Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3's online was just absolutely terrible, lagged by about 5 seconds and almost unplayable, but the game didn't depend on Wi-Fi so they didn't care. Monster Hunter Tri on the other hand depended on Wi-Fi, at least 10% of the game is meant to be done with Wi-Fi, therefor the Wi-Fi was great, barely any lag at all, only lagged on the rarest of ocassions, and ususally if iy does it's because of the host's poor connection.

Thus Dragon Quest X which will have lots of Wi-Fi will most likely be good.

Shame on you for not having Monster Hunter.

I'm surprised I didn't hear much about it (maybe I heard it was pay to play in Japan and lost interest and didn't hear it was free here). If my friends had it, I would have played and probably bought it, but not sure if they would be interested or not.

Yeah, except SSMB didn't depend on Wi-Fi. X looks ;ike it'll have a huge focus on Wi-Fi, therefor, they'll actually give a crap about it.

For example, Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3's online was just absolutely terrible, lagged by about 5 seconds and almost unplayable, but the game didn't depend on Wi-Fi so they didn't care. Monster Hunter Tri on the other hand depended on Wi-Fi, at least 10% of the game is meant to be done with Wi-Fi, therefor the Wi-Fi was great, barely any lag at all, only lagged on the rarest of ocassions, and ususally if iy does it's because of the host's poor connection.

Thus Dragon Quest X which will have lots of Wi-Fi will most likely be good.

Fair enough, but I didn't like how they tried to act like Smash Bros. online was going to be good and it wasn't for me. If you're going to put a feature in, at least make it work smoothly. It wasn't like it was the 1st online game on a Nintendo system and it wasn't a launch title either so they had time to work out the problems or they should have scrapped it and put more characters/stages in.

I would think this game should have its own servers like Monster Hunter to accommodate all players. If they keep it turn-based, lag is not as big a problem than if you made it real-time. That and it would be less like Dragon Quest. I do remember hearing DQ9 was not going to be turn-based and then they switched back. So even if they say real time, it can change.

While what I saw did make me feel a bit uncertain at times, there were also parts of the preview that got me excited about this game and made me happy. I'm definitely NOT disliking it based on what I saw, if that's the impression my previous posts here gave :P Heck, I've enjoyed all DQ games I've played thus far, despite whatever woes I might've had whilst playing, so I'm definitely going to enjoy this one.

And thanks, Mimas, for the translation provided, yo. I think what I liked reading the most is the ability to cheer on battlers when you're a spectator, which actually has influence in the fight. This way, even if you're not in the battle, you can still have a small hand in it to help folks, and that's really cool.

My only complaint is I hope they give the monsters some Artepiazza style personality to the monsters. I'm so sick of the anime always on-model approach.

Like doing things that aren't readily apparent from their looks, yo? The sprites in the 2D games do seem to have more wacky actions at times...

I have my misgivings about Wii online since I've had some problems with it. But I've had good experiences too, such as with Monster Hunter Tri and i expect this to go along similar routes.

I love that there are real trains in the background

Caught a quote that said "no true fan wants this." Guess I'm not a true fan.

reggie_shrug.jpg

Well, it looks like Nintendo accomplished their goal to bring the east and west fans together. Now the American fans are just as pissy and reactionary as the Japanese ones. Guess we can look forward to more terrible web sites and spamming Amazon! Good God. Don't turn yourselves into the steaming bag of hate the Star Wars fans have. There will still be remakes and spin-offs if you don't like X. Remember, DQ IX was a completely different game when it was unveiled. I'm sure they'll make tweaks. Best guess is the game's a year away and it will probably still be delayed. I'd love to be a part of the beta and give feedback.

Anyways, any new information on the art show? When it's gonna be? If there will be an art book. Looks like V-Jump is going to be doing a special issue with a special original poster. What's the story there? I'd love to get a copy.

Caught a quote that said "no true fan wants this." Guess I'm not a true fan.

reggie_shrug.jpg

Amen.

Come ON guys! Most of the haters on the den have loved this series for years, now they turn their backs on it because they saw some wi-fi that THEY THEMSELVES HAVE YET TO EVEN EXPERIENCE!?!

Good God. Don't turn yourselves into the steaming bag of hate the Star Wars fans have.

It's already too late for me. I'm also... a Star Wars fan. :(

So you can have your own house AND a shop? to sell $#!& is that somethingto do with your battle class or si their a seperate class system for businesses and in town stuff? I'm getting really interested...

You weren't on NicoNico.

I had to get off after 15 minutes because the constant stream of comments shows up onscreen on the video, so I could barely see anything. But I did hear clapping at some points.

Ustream was a godsend.

I love how you can almost map the flow of fan excitement into the backlash of bitter series vets, then the back-backlash of angry fans who would defend a Wii box filled with mustard gas as long as it had Dragon Quest on the title. It's surreal.

I'm cautiously optimistic. Originally I was against it, but the gameplay video solved that. It looks like DQ9 only on the Wii and with basic (Demon's Souls style) online play. I'm fine with that, especially if it's fully single player as well. Now we just have to see if they're going to screw up the online play aspect. No Monthly fee would be a great start, but them mentioning that it's undecided at this time means that there is one and they haven't decided on how much. Having some form of friends list / roster / etc instead of the NWFC Friend Code garbage would be another.

A simultaneous worldwide launch would be even better.

Wonder what the 3DS stuff they talked about is going to be. It almost sounds like you can download a little business-card like app for the 3DS that will trade your DQX contact info on Japanese trains. Well, ok. Maybe it'll tie in with the rumored Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 3D that 2ch has been talking about.

You weren't on NicoNico.

I had to get off after 15 minutes because the constant stream of comments shows up onscreen on the video, so I could barely see anything. But I did hear clapping at some points.

Ustream was a godsend.

there's a button you can turn those off with.

The visuals are great and knowing that there will be a story behing it that can be played as any other DQ makes me look forward to playing it ASAP. I'm very interested into the battle system, I do love the turn based system but it will be great to see if they came out with something different that still relies on strategy. The other issue is the monthly fees, these would be a great drawback, althought I guess that it cannot be worst than playing IX without any friend around.

Something that clearly points towards the real time battles is that when playing offline the party will be made out of NPC and that will make the experience very similar to playing seiken densetsu 3. It was a great game with huge playability so we'll see what comes out.

To all those saying that there's no battle transition anymore, look at the trailer again. There are several monster intros and groups. Who knows, it's possible that the MMO style controls might be for smoother multiplayer.

It's already too late for me. I'm also... a Star Wars fan.

I'm not a fan of every change, but people are going on and on like they don't have options. Buy the blu-ray or download the Despecialized Editions. Ta-da!

I'll wait for the WiiU version. I'm actually interested in this.

I could repect if someone didn't like Wi-Fi but hating on the whole game? I challenge at least 3 of the haters to give me a valid, non stupid, logical reason why this game deserves their hate. The sad thing is I am actually adressing a couple of the denizens.