Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mimas

Dragon Quest New game announcement (Sept.5, 2011)

No.

No.

No.

No.

No.

No.

No.

*sigh*

And...

No.

These are not the droids I was looking for.

Thanks for the info, Mimas.

Wow...just wow, will be nice to finally play with some other DQ fans finally. I'll wait and see what I think about the game as a whole when more info comes out.

I'm not interested in MMOs, so I'll probably skip this unless the offline component is as substantial as they say, or if there's no subscription fee in the west.

It's sad to see the series head in the opposite direction to what I'd hoped, but c'est la vie.

There's a difference between MMO and online RPG, you'll be playing with 3 people, max. that's hardly "Massive Multiplayer"

So 6 types of races huh? I didn't know Toriyama had it in him. He had to come up with new designs for ears, because pointy ears used to be a universal non human trait.

I really like the little trolls with the big round ears. That other mini race with the squinted eyes remind me too much of marumaro of Blue Dragon.

And really? You can sow your own clothes and forge your own weapons? Not really my thing, but it's cool that it's possible.

I really hope it's not a massive multiplayer, but rather the more co-op kind in which you could even just have a friend use another controller. The massiveness and the seemingly endless grinding of MMO's is something I really can't stomach and hurt gameplay and story alot since there is no finite end to it.

There's a difference between MMO and online RPG, you'll be playing with 3 people, max. that's hardly "Massive Multiplayer"

Having hundreds of other players walking around in the same world as you isn't "massively multiplayer"? Surely the party size is irrelevant.

Having hundreds of other players walking around in the same world as you isn't "massively multiplayer"? Surely the party size is irrelevant.

Eh, I suppose. But the game's gameplay eliminates a lot of the annoyances that general MMOs have. Like kill stealers and such. And no no, the party size isn't irrelevant, not to me anyways.

To be honest, I'm not all too happy with the idea of being different races though; the hero has always been a type of human. Sometimes half human and half zenithian, or humanistic angel that becomes human, but still human. Could understand adding elves into the race pool, maybe even halflings (think that's what they were called in 7), but more than that seems a bit forced.

Looks like an ATB sort of gauge has been added for the battles. Really hope I saw wrong. Knew it could happen eventually, but still was hoping it wouldn't be brought into the DQ series. It's another step toward the mess that is Final Fantasy.

All of this is of course speculation. We won't know what the game will be like after they work on it some more and give out more clearcut information. And, no matter what, I'll still end up playing Dragon Quest 10. Doesn't matter if I disagree with some of the choices, it's a series that has grown upon me and will end up playing. I might not go along with a user fee service, however; I have no confidence in such a thing succeeding over here. In fact, I'd have been happy if it was basically dragon quest 9 with wifi capabilities for friends and their friend codes. May end up sticking to offline play.

To be honest, I'm not all too happy with the idea of being different races though; the hero has always been a type of human. Sometimes half human and half zenithian, or humanistic angel that becomes human, but still human. Could understand adding elves into the race pool, maybe even halflings (think that's what they were called in 7), but more than that seems a bit forced.

The hero IS human, it's the party memebers that are different races.

The hero IS human, it's the party memebers that are different races.

That was a video demo. If we truly are going to have more customization of our hero, you better believe we'll have race selection.

I was reading the translation posted on the web posted above and just read this:

14:30: The next theme is things that may relieve those worried about online games. You'll be able to logout easily, for instance. You won't have to play with others -- the game can be cleared 100% on your own, using NPC characters. The commands will be familiar.

14:26: The game will have a huge story, Saito says. (In case you were worried about it being online and all...)

Looks like it's going to be like IX but with online multiplayer. This is great news! The more I read the better feeling I get.

DQ IX: There's no online! It's all co-op! AAghh!

DQ X: It's all online! AAargggh!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4CofbOiKj0

No.

No.

No.

No.

No.

No.

No.

*sigh*

And...

No.

Apparently, Kotaku is claiming that on the Japanese site, it has the words "user fee". I cannot confirm nor deny this since the site is obviously not in English, but if true, sad news for me. It also seems to indicate that the Wii version will come out first as it has a 2012 release but the WiiU version is TBA.

Well, the main DQX site doesn't mention a user fee. But I checked out the Kotaku article and its source is from Draque Paradise (the new main DQ page) . Hopefully the TBA covers the existence of user fees. Has there been any Wii game with user fees so far?

DQ IX: There's no online! It's all co-op! AAghh!

DQ X: It's all online! AAargggh!

I brought up the same thing in the other DQX topic.

When DQIX came out, people were complaining that there wasn't any wi-fi multiplayer. Now DQX comes out, with a nice online feature, and people complain that it has wi-fi multiplayer.

The online is an extra feature in the game. You don't have to use it. As far as I see things, DQX will satisfy those who like single player games, as well as those who craved an online multiplayer mode.

I can't wait to get online.

I think with DQIX it was more a case of "If they must go down the multiplayer route then at least make it online", so that's not entirely fair.

Well I am fully on-board for having online multiplayer so that I can finally play with some of my friends here. My concerns (which are just concerns at this point since we don't even have that much information) are only with the loss of the turn-based battles and other restrictions that being FULLY online could bring.

My concerns (which are just concerns at this point since we don't even have that much information) are only with the loss of the turn-based battles and other restrictions that being FULLY online could bring.

Then never fear. In X there is no special battle map your transported to, you just fight in the area you entered the encounter in, you can move around but it's all still turn-based. Online when you and whatever party you may have enter a fight it's the same, people on the side-lines can cheer you on for a tension boost.

People are whining about how Nintendo's the worst when it comes to online. Really? OK, let's see here... PSN - Hacked to hell. Bunch of downtime. X-Box Live - Forced ads both on dash and in-game. Horrifying TOS and privacy policies with some games forcing you to agree to them before playing a legally purchased copy.

Yeah, no thank you...

Everything looks great. I love that it's online, but can be cleared offline. Best of both worlds, I say.

Sub fee? Please, say it ain't so...

Hopefully with it being an internal Square-Enix project, that means there will be a much shorter localization time than there usually is, like 6 months instead of a whole year, which has typically been the case for Square-Enix.

Oh....

No.  Just... no.

Then never fear. In X there is no special battle map your transported to, you just fight in the area you entered the encounter in, you can move around but it's all still turn-based. Online when you and whatever party you may have enter a fight it's the same, people on the side-lines can cheer you on for a tension boost.

Umm...you know I started this thread and was writing a running translation/summary during the streaming here. They said that it wasn't turn based, At 2:07 in the second GoNintendo video.

Umm...you know I started this thread and was writing a running translation/summary during the streaming here. They said that it wasn't turn based, At 2:07 in the second GoNintendo video.

It looked turn-based to me. Eh, whatever. Let's just wait and see for ourselves. If NoA is gonna have any involvement at all it'd make the process quicker, they get their translations done quick.

I hope they get rid of the battle transitions. It just looks weird having the screen fade to black even though the battle takes place in the exact same area. It should be seamless.