Sign in to follow this  
Mimas

Dragon Quest New game announcement (Sept.5, 2011)

Still dont know what to think about what I just saw...

I wonder if this will be similar to Zelda Twilight Princess in that the inferior version will be made in limited quantities, forcing a lot of people to buy it on the WiiU. I don't really feel like buying a new system for this game even though it is Dragon Quest.

If the online is like DQ9, I guess I will pick it up, but it's monthly fees or most free to play models (you have to spend money to be good at the game), I'm not interested.

I really don't know what to think. A lot of the game just looks like a copy of DQIX. While not a bad game, I'd rather have a story/character focused game.

On the other hand, this type of world leaves a lot open for new avenues of exploration and customization...if its done right.

And from what I can tell, its pretty much a story driven single player game...but with the option to have other human players join your party and do quests. So basically, it sounds like DQIX with better online support.

This could be epic win or a disappointment. I need to see more.

My thoughts, yo:

The chick in the white suit was kinda hot.

The dang demon girl distracted my later thoughts.

The starfish from VII! WOOOOOOO-

The one midgit race looks like it might specialize with machines, which seems pretty cool.

Uncertain about the online aspect.

I'll get to tailor clothes!? YEEEEEAAAAAH!!!!! *explodes*

I'm sure that I missed some stuff, hard to type and listen at the same time. Also might be some mistakes in there (besides spelling). I'll clean it up tomorrow. Hopefully it will be up on youtube so that I can double check some stuff. Going to call it a night now though. The game sounds like a lot of fun, but I am sad that this will be a DQ that won't be playable in the future (one day when they shut down the server). It is sad enough for me that only two years after IX came out the online store (JP) doesn't change anymore.

Yes, it does resemble 9 if it had 8's graphics.

I heard Satoru Iwata say "MMO" at one point, so I'm pretty sure that instead of just a main adventure, they're going multiplayer again.

I'm curious to see how this amasses reception.

If I may be the voice of reason in the sea of hate...

It looks interesting, and this is coming from someone who hasn't had any interest in MMOs since LORD. Good to see them branching out with different kinds of environments. It already gives it a distinct look. I hope Plus Alpha localizes this one. With all the different tribes, it'll be perfect for them.

Keep in mind that when IX was unveiled they focused on the multiplayer aspect. I'm sure there will be just as much of a single player experience as IX. Battles are sure to be tweaked. The online aspect will be a great way to get together with friends. The only thing that makes me go "eeeh" is the Square Enix development. We know how well their last online game turned out...

yeah, but maybe this will be better...even though I missed the actual showing (someone get that $#!& on youtube.)

I just wanted to say thank you so much, Mimas. I would've been lost without your translation. I tried holding my Droid to the speaker with my Google Translate app running, but the only thing it translated for me was "NEW DRAGON."

I'm not sure how I feel about the whole MMO-style of the game. I take that back - I know how I feel and it makes me cautious. Previous experiences with MMOs have been soured because of people naming characters with names like "Killaz2010" and because I am surrounded by people way better than myself at the game. Plus, change scares me because it reminds me of my own mortality.

Ultimately, though, this game looks beautiful. Yuji Hori has not let me down yet... except for that whole restraining order thing.

• Upvote 1

Definitely have to reserve judgement until we know and see more. Initial impressions are not good but that is just my knee-jerk reaction to the MMO idea. I'll try to keep an open mind here.

Hopefully, Dragon Quest won't fall into the same pit that Final Fantasy did when it attempted MMO status.

so wiiU and wii versions? and useing the 3ds to pass your character to others...a portable version would be nice...like it shares some areas with the wiiU version but has some of it's own, but all the features and you can play with wiiU players if they are playing in the 3ds and WiiU areas.And by sending your character from the 3ds version to WiiU version you can play in those areas and play some in the 3ds version and yeah.

Edited by Griffen78

I am a little happy you can be online and play with people! Sounds like a lot of fun to maybe have dragon's den parties or maybe even just little meet ups!

On the other hand, it sounds like we'll be getting soulless and storyless partymates if chosen to play alone or without people. I miss having party mates with a backstory.

Also already brought up, what happens when the online server goes down? No longer able to play with friends is what it sounds like. I doubt a company is going to have a server up forever for a game like this.

From the way it sounds, it won't be the same definition of "MMORPG" but rather just a DQ9 that is online; people can help you level up as you need or you can choose to level yourself up. I imagine as soon as you get to higher levels though, people will start calling for grinds just to be at a certain level or something.

PvP might be nice, but...again idk all depends....1 on 1 in DQ is boring...

Seconded on the Yea, Mimas!

I'd post a reaction gif, but I'm out. Catch you heathens in 6 hours.

Good to see them branching out with different kinds of environments. It already gives it a distinct look.

On that note, that icy scene really caught my attention. It was just a still, but just the glow it had, especially that whitened tree. Love stuff like that, yo.

well now after seeing the footage I think I am in love......I love the classes....and the dwarves look like yangus :D

Is that Empyrea/Ramia near the train? If that's true, hopefully there are more crossover appearances of other DQ characters.

we need cross over out fits again and I wonder how the class system will work. the fairy like race seems to be the main priest type and the ogres the damage dealers...but what of classes?

Apparently, Kotaku is claiming that on the Japanese site, it has the words "user fee". I cannot confirm nor deny this since the site is obviously not in English, but if true, sad news for me. It also seems to indicate that the Wii version will come out first as it has a 2012 release but the WiiU version is TBA.

There will be 3 classes just for alchemizing and the like so it's safe to say the class system will be more in-depth than IX's. Argh, I CAN'T WAIT! Everything about X looks appealing to the type of gamer I am.

Won't be long now until IX is mixed in with the general DQ section and X is added, or y'know, IX stays and X gets a section, either way is good.

They haven't shown how in-depth the character creation is which saddens me, I'm guessing since they are accounting for OVER 9000!!!...people online it'll be a bit bigger than IX's.

I'm hoping to see more legacy bosses and maybe more inn guests.

Haha, and this is on the Wii so barely anyone will cheat if they wanted to.

They've made it fairly obvious that Wi-Fi will be a major part of the game but what of PvP? I always wanted to go against my buddy in DQ9.

Ahh, there's so much to talk about, so many questions, I can't wait for more info!