Sign in to follow this  
Griffen78

Tactic ogres and FFT

anyone here play these two series? I want to get into a discussion of both .-.

As a strategy RPG novice, Tactics Advance was a lot easier for me to digest than the original FFT, even if it did have a number of irritating/bizarre features like laws and the manual placement of landmarks. Tactics Advance 2 is my favourite of the three, as it's basically a beefier TA sans the weird stuff.

I've only played the Tactics Ogre that was remade for PSP, which is brilliant. Unfortunately it clashed with a few other PSP releases, so I've yet to finish it.

well tactic advance isn't difficult at all really... and Tactic ogres for the psp is all I got and I am loving it thus far. I went the lawful route and just beat Oz and the other guy...was kind of tough...the three life thing is getting annopying though if vyce dies one more time I lose him for ever D:

I never played Tactics Ogre, but really liked FFT (PSX). Tactics Advance I never got into. It seemed too "juvenile" of a story for me (compared to FFT for PSX), and the laws were a bit crazy. I may give it another try later.

I really liked the story and gameplay for FFT, but it is tough until the last quarter of the game (where it is easy). LOTS of job points grinding required. My best two things of advice for that game is to save often with different slots, and to always do something of action to gain experience and job points - even if it is tossing stones at your own people, casting haste, etc.

Edited by Red Dragon

Law route in Tactics Ogre is by far the best route to go first. Ozma and Ravness are among the best characters in the game. Ozma is probably THE best. She is literally invincible with the... I think it's called Ivory Tower skill. She can't die. Just use it after every action, send her up front to build up TP again and use it again. Easy.

Then you use the post-game gimmick to go back and get the neutral/chaos characters. Have fun recruiting Cressida, total grindfest. Deneb's also a grindfest. But at least Deneb's quest is easy enough.

As far as the FFT/TO debate. FFT = better character customizations (subskills from other classes), TO = all around bigger game. Story and everything else is about on par for both games.

yeah, ozma might be difficult to get, but eh....Ravness makes a nice support character as a holy knight I gave her a sword and a lobber and she goes to town. Lobbers are much more useful then magic as a whole..if you have the cash for items. my cleric gets little use at this point. only on certain living dead maps. Also, how do you open up the castle of the dead thingy? I want a necromancer ._. I'd when I can get it though.

As far as difficulty...I think FFT is a bit harder do to TO's 3 strikes your dead deal...which I didn't know about.....bye bye generic warrior.

If you want Cressida, you'll find the 3 heart system a pain in the butt.

In essence, to recruit Cressida, you must have high reputation with the Galgastani clan... the best way to do this is to have recruited Galgastan units die. You have to have them get killed 3 times for this to work so... yeah, it just creates more work.

I have to kill my own units? just to recruit her? thats kind of lame...

One interesting thing that a lot of people don't know, is that the team the developed Tactics Ogre also created the original FFT for Square back in the day. So no, Square didn't technically STEAL the idea for FFT, they bought it. :P

I have to kill my own units? just to recruit her? thats kind of lame...

No, you have to let them be killed by enemies.

It supposedly says that they like you so much that they'd die for your cause, increasing your rank with that faction.

I have played through every FFT and Ogre Battle/Tactics Ogre game as they came out, save for Prince of Zenobia, which was not released in America in any form.

I liked the aesthetics of the remake for Let Us Cling Together better than the original game, but the original had better play mechanics, in my opinion. Knight of Lodis is my favorite game across the FFT and Ogre Battle spectrum. All-in-all, however, I prefer the Vandal Hearts series more. Vandal Hearts II is the best tactical RPG ever made.

Edited by Liquid Metal Babble

I might give a Tactics game try, sounds like there's a big class system which is always a plus for me.

yup they all are great Tactic ogres and Final fantasy tactics are kind of different, but I recommend a FFT game first.

Shining Force, Shining Force 2, and Vandal Hearts are all three great beginning level tactical RPGs. They are way less complicated than any of the Quest-designed ones (FFT, OB). Vandal Hearts II is pretty complicated, but Vandal Hearts: Flames of Judgement on PSN and XBLA is pretty entry-level, and a prequel to the original.

You can get Shining Force and Shining Force 2 for really cheap--they are included with the Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection for pretty much every console since the Dreamcast.

Edited by Liquid Metal Babble

The Ogre Battle (( which Tactics Ogre is part of )) series is one of the best and well-defined SRPG series in existence. I'm disappointed they didn't put Destin Faroda in Tactics Ogre PSP.

Final Fantasy Tactics can suck it. Like a lot of SRPGs, it's clunky. Even the PSP version. Tactics Ogre (( and it's PSP version )) did it right with their system where YOUR ENTIRE PARTY GETS EXPERIENCE at the end of battles, (or the ones that were in your battle team, anyway) not by their killrate.

TO has it's downs like every time you get a new class it's a chore to get up to speed with your party aspecially character specific ones.

That I concur with. My group was usually storyline characters, I rather enjoyed however, replaying it through the Neutral and Chaos routes, while having access to my battleparty.

Tactics Ogre is deep. Really, really deep.

Tactics Ogre: Knight of Lodis, on GBA, is better than the Tactics Ogre Remake on PSP. It did everything right that FFT did wrong.

Also, I would not call FFT "clunky." It was just a vastly different game. I can play through FFT from start to finish without grinding any more than from what random battles I stumble across randomly while playing through the story. Its not about powerful characters, its about genuine use of tactics.

Tactics Ogre's remake is just ridiculously easy. There is virtually no challenge until you beat the game, and the deficit of your gear against the enemies kicks in. What point is there in a game that requires almost no skill to finish? It had a cool story, but that barely matters at all against the game play. The original Let Us Cling Together was a much superior game.

Hmm. I'll have to download that.

Do you still have to level each character individually? That's what I -hate- about a majority of tactics games. And the reason TO PSP worked for me.

Hmm. I'll have to download that.

Do you still have to level each character individually? That's what I -hate- about a majority of tactics games. And the reason TO PSP worked for me.

Knight of Lodis? Yes, individual character leveling, like with every tactical RPG that is not the recent remake of Tactics Ogre. Vandal Hearts is totally linear, and you always end up being the right levels, as lower level = greater XP gains. Vandal Hearts II scales levels totally. You also go, turn by turn, simultaneously with your opponent. And Vandal Hearts: FoJ has not levels, you level up those stats you use.

MAN. Vandal Hearts. Brings back memories.

Back on topic. As said before, I recommend Tactics Ogre PSP, you can easily find a download of it, and if you don't wanna do that, I saw it at my local K-mart next to FFTPSP for $10. :P

I like both Tactics Ogre and Final Fantasy Tactics, but I think I prefer FFT between the two.

I prefer Final Fantasy Tactics' version of leveling over TO PSP.  Far more easier to exploit and it made it so I wasn't afraid to change classes, especially since class changes aren't expendable resources in FFT.  Also FFT doesn't recycle maps nearly as often as TO does.  Chapter 3 Chaos is the worst of this where you have to retake the same castle twice.  Still, TO's story is pretty great and the music is phenomenal and I love the branching paths.

I have always wanted to get Cressida but I don't have the stomach to deathmarch..  

Tactics Ogre (the original PS1 version) is my absolute favorite game ever! It did everything right - with a perfect leveling system and it is just so much fun to replay. I personally don't like the PSP version as much, despite enhancements to large monsters, for many reasons, but the biggest flaw is how they chose to make classes level. I liked training mode and I like each character having a level and not each class having a level.

As for FFT, I can take it or leave it. It just doesn't have the charm that Tactics Ogre does to me. I almost beat FFT, but have no desire to play it again. Whereas Tactics Ogre, I'll often replay every so often. If my programming knowledge increases some more, I would love to make a Tactics Ogre type game. (I'm even thinking of making a sequel to Dragon Quest Legacy of the Lost in the form of a Tactics game almost identical to Tactics Ogre. I even made a sprite for Aldain should I ever do this!)

Animate_Aldain1.gif

Edit: Didn't realize how old the topic was! But oh well, I do love the game. :D

Edited by Orias Obderhode