Sign in to follow this  
Cesar Hernandez-Meraz

Dragon Quest II

Malroth is winning, nice pic though.

Lily did raise a good point, why is the freaking GOD OF DESTRUCTION ranked below a morbidly obese demon in the monsters games?

Edited by ss14hero

There's the old Hargon pic I'm sure you'll remember. I dunno when I can draw another one. I'm working on a pic of the boys (I'm having trouble making it look as I want it to).

And I would say Lapthorn is scariest.

If the god of destruction appears, I would accept the time to die is near.

But imagine seein Lapthorn above you... Yeww... Worse than death...

well DQ has a lot of satans.....they can't all be high rank .-.

Maybe DQ would have more fans if it weren't so offensive to the heavily religious,

they even had a satanic figure kill god in DQIX.

Who cares though, you can't take these games too seriously.

Not "overly" religious, but overly close-minded.

I try to be religious, but I can accept that, in Dragon Quest games, at least, evil and good are mostly like black and white, and good will win in the end.

Even if some humans are evil and some monsters or demons are good, it is still B&W. The good are good and the evil are evil.

In DQ IV's case. Pissarro was evil. No matter if the evil priest (who, in case you did not guess it by his name, is evil) manipulated him, he acted freely. However, he can try to become good later, all thanks to love and forgiveness.

And we must always remember that DQ is full of Japanese culture, even when they try to include something from a Western one. Take the "Christmas cake" from Dragon Quest IX. Who really eats Christmas cake but them? Okay, perhaps in Europe, I really do not know, but I get the impression they aim for the USA version of things (and not always get it correctly). So, what they see as "demons", at least the lesser ones, is not necessarily what we might see as demons (fallen angels). Theirs may be a race of creatures from a dark world who may be inclined to be evil, but not always be. And their origins may or may not be angelic.

I think the story of the Dragon King is Japanese or Chinese. For us, he is this wizard who controls dragons and becomes one of them. For them, it is something that they may have heard of since they were kids.

Malroth could be like Sailorsaturn from Sailormoon. And if you take a long vowel out of her Japanese name (written in katakana) you get "satan" instead of "saturn", too, LOL.

Basically, DQ is Japanese and has under currents of Japanese culture and mythology.

Maybe some undertones, but mostly DQ is as European as possible. It's supposed to look more like the type of medival age you'd think of in Europe or anywhere in the west, not Feudal Japan.

and lily when mentioning the final bosses most like satanic creatures....you named more than half of the series' final bosses so, yes there ARE a lot of "satans" some of their themes even have the name satan in them.

Hero, I see what you mean, but I am with Lily on this.

Even when they try to go for a medieval Europe look, they still get the Japanese in, some I think on purpose, some more because it is so much a part of themselves.

The way she phrased it, I agree with her.

Let's see, just what I can think of now, while I am falling asleep... I will include Chinese things, along with the Japanese.

Not even counting Zipangu from DQ III, since that world is based in ours... The tanuki enemies. The dolls from DQ IV. The pixy and other oni monsters from DQ IV. The kamaitachi from IV (cyclowns). The sky dragons. The dragon king:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_King

Nuns can get a boyfriend (this I have seen in other Japanese manga, where nuns are in charge of schools and temples, some even with crosses). Obviously, the townspeople live mostly Japanese lives. I think most of this is lost on the translation, and now you get an English version where all of them live "American" lives.

Didn't you hear of that time a troll impersonated the king of Argentina?

What I said is that I am sure the way people are portrayed, and their families, and their problems, in the original Japanese games, will be full of Japanese way-of-life things. Even if it's the Sioux and Mister Ed from DQ III, there must be Japanese things here and there. It's as if we created a game and its story were set in Japan. Unless we had a deep understanding of their traditions and everything they take for granted, it would be a Westerner's look at them. Mine would be filled with things-César. Some Mexican things forced to fit into that Japanese world.

Since I believe Horii-sama's intentions are to create an enjoyable game more than to create a strict European medieval world (when was the last time an European fought a dragon, by the way?), he will not try to keep his Japanese views out that much. Especially if it is meant to be played by Japanese people.

Also, about the whole European thing, the moai, the shamans, the garuda, the mummies, the voodoo wizards, the maskans, the Haniwa, the coatl... I know, some of those originated in DQ III, but there are a lot of examples of non-European elements in DQ.

when was the last time an European fought a dragon, by the way?

Maybe it's just my over-active imagination but when I think medival, I think dragon =P

I guess DQ is sort of a mix of all kinds of cultures if looked at the right way.

I do admittedly find the racism against Trode quite humerous, dunno why though. Not that I condone that crap in real life.

In Slime Morimori, the healer tank looks kind of samurai-ish, and the metal slimes are ninja, heheheheh.

If Torode lived in the Dragon Ball world, he would be quite normal.

...(when was the last time an European fought a dragon, by the way?)...

I think the Welsh have some Dragons in their history. They have a Red Dragon on their flag and there is some associated lore. Just playing devil's advocate here.

Edited by King Zenith

No prob. I usually play that role, even when arguing all by myself.

If someone else had started saying how DQ is all Japanese, I'd be as quick to bring out its European elements, LOL.

Doing this, I learned a long time ago that, for (almost) every argument, both sides will have valid points. Fights can be avoided if the phrasing allows for the valid points of both sides.

Doing this, I learned a long time ago that, for (almost) every argument, both sides will have valid points. Fights can be avoided if the phrasing allows for the valid points of both sides.

This has to be just about the smartest thing I've heard in my lifetime...dunno how much that means from a kid though, haha.

For a kid with a mustache, which is probably more than I can say for myself, LOL.

For a kid with a mustache, which is probably more than I can say for myself, LOL.

Nice, real nice, ahaha.

It's not like it's thick, it's sorta like peach fuzz on my face.

They made that into a game.Serious,there is a old game called Mustache Boy.

They made that into a game.Serious,there is a old game called Mustache Boy.

I read your comment, I googled it, I died a little inside.

There's actual nothing European about the dragon quest games except for aesthetics. Rpg's just tend to feature knights and dragons a lot.

I do like that they have a sort of religion in the dragon quest world that worships a godess, I like to think it's mother nature. So I don't think there actually is a one specific anti-god in these games like you have satan vs god in christianity. Just demons that are like just a race besides humans.

peach fuzz looks trashy....shave sometime bro, and back on topic, Hows this other DQII pic goin cesar?

• Upvote 1

So, that is what you look like, Hero? Use that character as your user pic, heheheheh.

And TRL, what do you actually know about Europe? Let us experts talk about it, LOL. Kidding, man. It would be actually great if you had more things to share about Europe. We'll let you know about America, too.

All drawings have been on hold since last week. I will be in a play that has its opening night tomorrow, so we have been in the last (night-time) rehearsals, so, no time for anything else (drawing, having supper, playing, watching anything). After the opening, I will have more time for myself again.

So, that is what you look like, Hero?

And I didn't know you lived in Europe TRL. Cool, I know a european. Now that TRL mentions it and I've played a bit of DQIX today, DQ seems to have more religious views of it's own, than religions from other regions. Edited by Spikan
  • Upvote 1