Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

King Zenith

Contest #79 - Dragon Quest Musical Mystery

koichi_sugiyama1.jpg

It's time for another contest that doesn't involve Dragon Quest invading your favorite leisure activities.

This contest is along the lines of "Name That Tune" and will test your knowledge of Dragon Quest Music from nearly every game you can get your mitts on.

To start off, I just want to say that you do NOT need to know the official names of any Dragon Quest songs to have success in this contest. What's going to help you here is if you have played a good handful of the games, and did so with the sound ON, preferably cranked way up for added effect.

I have assembled a single musical track (in MP3 format) that features 18 music clips from different Dragon Quest songs.

Your job is to figure out:

1) Which game each track is from

2) Which platform that particular version of the song is from (NES, DS, PSX etc)

3) A description of roughly where in the game you might hear this song. (i.e. in battle, overworld etc)

The first 16 clips are regular clips that are worth 3 points each (total of 48). The last two music clips are bonus and are worth a single point each if you can simply identify which Dragon Quest game those tracks come from.

So, if you have been doing your math, there are a total of 50 points available to music aficionados here. Anyone with a score of 45 or higher will receive this badge:

079.png

Feel free to use whatever resources you need to complete your list. Please format your submissions as follows and send them to me via private message: (Updated to use TRL's noteslime for the badge for this contest ~Woodus)

Clip1, Game, Platform, Location

Clip2, Game, Platform, Location

For example:

Clip1, Dragon Warrior 3, NES, Sailing / Boat music

Clip2, Dragon Quest Monster Joker, NDS, Scout Post Music

PM your answers to me by August 25th at 10:00AM EST. The winner(s) will be announced after I have tallied the scores.

Oh, and you are probably wondering where to find that music file. Look no further:

http://www.woodus.com/den/contests/079/contest79.mp3

Good luck!

Are you going to be sneaky and make us distinguish songs that are from older games but remade on later games? (Example: Dragon Quest 9 music redoing things, Dragon Warrior 3 in a few instances, and so on)

It's bad enough that DS songs can be close to PS's song quality, but having to deal with it being the same song on a different version would be cruel.

Are you going to be sneaky and make us distinguish songs that are from older games but remade on later games? (Example: Dragon Quest 9 music redoing things, Dragon Warrior 3 in a few instances, and so on)

It's bad enough that DS songs can be close to PS's song quality, but having to deal with it being the same song on a different version would be cruel.

I'd like to think I was remarkably kind this time. Leaving aside the two bonus clips, if you recognize a song from a particular game, it's definitely from some version of that game. For example, if you hear Zoma's Battle Theme, you can bet it's either from the NES, GBC or SNES version of that game. I wouldn't have taken it from DQ9 or some spin-off in this contest. That would be pure evil!

As it is, there are probably two or three where you will need to be careful about distinguishing NES from GBC or DS from PSX. Good luck!

I highly enjoy the sneakiness. Requires a good ear.

Dang, KZ, this isn't going to be easy for me!

[i'll still do my best! ;) ]

I can distinguish Console type with [relative] ease.

But...

I've only played 4,5,9, and know some tunes from 1 and 3.

Dang, KZ, this isn't going to be easy for me!

[i'll still do my best! ;) ]

I can distinguish Console type with [relative] ease.

But...

I've only played 4,5,9, and know some tunes from 1 and 3.

Well, if people are dedicated enough, they can "brute force" it a bit using this as a reference.

It would take a hell of a lot of time to match the audio segments to songs though if you don't at least have a rough idea of where to look. And then, even if you find it, you still might not know where you would find that music within that game.

Nevertheless, there are badges to be had for anyone who prevails in scoring at least 90% out of the 50 points available.

Hoho this is way out of my league. I can only figure 2 songs from DQ VIII and Joker.

This is your chance Lily! I already gave you 2 tips. :D

I dont have a chance :( . but i DO like the idea that any amount of people can get a badge

Ugh, there's one song that sounds SO MUCH like another (I mentioned it in my pm to KZ) but is slightly off by its background setting. I'm wondering if the song I was thinking of was borrowed from another element of the Dragon Quest series.

Oh and... so there really isn't an extra prize for getting placed in first? It's just a 90%+ = badge thing and bragging rights for the top scorers?

seems like it.

There is one clip that I know what game it's from, but not exactly where. I do know the name of the song, is that acceptable?

I believe I have the same issue as Ruesen with one clip but I still know where it is from. I would say which clip it is, but I don't know if I should say it.

Also, Clip 8 is annoying me beyond belief. Didn't have as many problems with the bonus tracks as this one.

Ugh, there's one song that sounds SO MUCH like another (I mentioned it in my pm to KZ) but is slightly off by its background setting. I'm wondering if the song I was thinking of was borrowed from another element of the Dragon Quest series.

Oh and... so there really isn't an extra prize for getting placed in first? It's just a 90%+ = badge thing and bragging rights for the top scorers?

I am going to have to listen to those two songs to see what you mean. Incidentally, I included one clip in here that I thought would be an absolute, drop-dead, slam-dunk, you're stupid if you don't get it kind of clip. To my amazement, people have been submitting a different song in its place. I went back and listened to both version and they do sound remarkably similar and I totally never realized it before. I am going to give some of these "similar" songs a listen and see if their similarity warrants accepting two possible answers or not.

And yes, 90% score = auto-badge this time. Sometimes I like to have people competing against a threshold rather than competing against each other.

There is one clip that I know what game it's from, but not exactly where. I do know the name of the song, is that acceptable?

I believe I have the same issue as Ruesen with one clip but I still know where it is from.

Ha ha. I didn't realize Koichi Sugiyama recycled his own melodies in different songs so much. It's gotta be hard coming up with completely unique stuff for new games.

This is one I will only be able to do at home... I still have not been able to listen to them...

Woodus just finished designing the badge for this contest. Here is what you are gunning for people:

079.png

If you want this awesome badge on your profile, you know what you have to do!

Oh man... While I recognize some, there are a solid amount of them I've never heard before(enough that the score wouldn't reach the 90% mark). I'll have to sit this out.

I am going to have to listen to those two songs to see what you mean. Incidentally, I included one clip in here that I thought would be an absolute, drop-dead, slam-dunk, you're stupid if you don't get it kind of clip. To my amazement, people have been submitting a different song in its place. I went back and listened to both version and they do sound remarkably similar and I totally never realized it before. I am going to give some of these "similar" songs a listen and see if their similarity warrants accepting two possible answers or not.

And yes, 90% score = auto-badge this time. Sometimes I like to have people competing against a threshold rather than competing against each other.

Well, I am slightly relieved about not having to compete with others. Still, I hope I got enough right.

Sadly, I think this will be too tough for me. It'd be better for me if was restricted to only the games I actually knew. I've never played 7 or 8, and if music is different on different consoles for the games with multiple coconsole versions I wouldn't be able to get it.

Well Lily, do what I did: First figure out the songs as best you can. When it comes to versions, if you are unsure leave it blank first. Then listen to it again to correct yourself as needed. Then, verify the sound quality via youtube or dragon's den music.

If you played all the main series and some of the side series, you should be fine. Worst case scenario, you have to go through a lot of the music to find what you need.

Right now, I got most my answers to where I like them, but need to double check on the system as well as figure out two certain songs that troubled me.

Aw. If I get the badge for this one... it bumps the badge I got for the previous music one!

I know. But it won't be on display for the world to see unless they're bored enough to click my awards. :P

When KZ showed us the badge that Woodus designed. This idea sprung into my mind.

Symphony slime!

noteslime.png

Haha, that's nifty. Nicely done, TRL.

Thanks, about your badges, you could start by winning less contests :D

Or you could ask woodus to take out some of the badges that are less important to you.

Winning... less... contests? @_@ I can't! I simply don't have it in me. Hahaha.

It's not that important, I was just being a braggart, really.

Haha ok braggart, that's a new word for me. :P

Don't worry, you're an art person. I only expect you to drag your knuckles on the ground and make pretty pictures.

Just kiddin'.