Sign in to follow this  
Aoibara

School just started for me

Saddest part about it is he's a great artist. Beginning to think the best way to become a successful artist is to stay the hell away from other artists. All they do is secrete poison.

Saddest part about it is he's a great artist. Beginning to think the best way to become a successful artist is to stay the hell away from other artists. All they do is secrete poison.

AHAHAHA, holy shmoly, those look like freakin' photos in the thumbnails. I guess doing commissions would only net him so much to keep his house, though :P (assuming he does them)

And I hope I don't secrete poison. I know I can have my off moments, but I don't wanna go all gila monster on folks... or would killer gila work better here? Har har.

As far as school goes... I kinda miss my high school days. Mind, back then I couldn't wait to get out, but I feel now like I was much more energetic and motivated then. I've been in college for about 5 years now, but most of that time has been lazing around, and doing the last class I need to do will only net me an associate's, and with all the crap I hear from my dad about the economy I'm really wondering just how helpful a degree will be at this point. Mind, this topic is about education, not politics :P

But yeah, different strokes for different folks. Or blokes. Some say to seize the time you have, while others see it as not a big deal. If you REALLY KNOW what you want to do, and it makes you happy, then you should pursue it, I wanna say. If you think it entails education, go for it. If it's a self-improv thing, go for that. Mind, this is all coming from a guy who went without signing up for new courses for what must've been over a year, so one might be better off getting advice from a person who, you know, knows what they want to do with his or herself :P

(I still do use :P a lot, also)

Most of the bad experiences with (community) college (now I'm going to a university...) were all in the IT Department, and honestly one of the reasons I got out of the field.

I'm not sure what it is, but most of the instructors are bad. I had two really good IT instructors, and 3 bad ones. The bad ones were all the same, they expected you to know the content already and were dumbfounded when you weren't following... one outright even refused to give any advice at all. I attribute this to most IT students being that "know it all computer"-guy (who are also a pain in the ass to deal with), and teachers figuring they are just there to get the paperwork.

On that note, one of the best teachers I had couldn't lecture properly because a stereotypical Linux-nerd kept interjecting on almost EVERYTHING he said. adfafdsafdsf

I'm really wondering just how helpful a degree

Depends on what it's in. Speaking from experience, if it's an IT degree, you can pretty much forget it. They want experience over degrees, or a Bachelors AND experience. Not pretty. Sent my resume out like twice a week, got NO responses. Not one. One of them even had a recommendation from the vice-president of the school's IT department, didn't hear a thing back from them. Ridiculous. The only calls I ever got were to sell insurance and retirement homes in northern Virginia, not even keeping me in Maryland. Pay by commission too... you don't sell, you get nothing. Out of gas? Oh well, enjoy your new Virginia home.

I've been out of work for almost a year now, went through a serious bout of depression, kicked my own ass out of it, and decided to make a change. Hence, going to a university to become a teacher (bachelors in secondary education) like I always wanted to do. Kids'll always need their edumacations, so I'll get something sooner or later. Besides, there's field work as part of the program to cover the experience angle too.

Why the hell did I just spill my guts like this? Oh well, now you know a bit more about me :P

Actually, that's all very helpful to know. Like, in a sort of self-comparison, reflection way. Experience really does sound like something good to have in that light, so I should probably try to make that a goal of mine... expanding upon it and such. So thanks, yo.

Well Fates, everything you just said, it, it...scared the living hell out of me. I've got 5 or 6 more years before college (which I'm not even entirely sure wether or not I'm going to) and besides drawing I have absolutely no clue what I wanna di with myself. I guess a job at Gamestop, Walmart or a fast food place would do but for how long. Eh, I won't stress it too much for now.

I want to go work in a GAME.Why? I get to play DQ during work.

I've got 5 or 6 more years before college

You'll be fine, assuming the economy doesn't somehow get WORSE than it is now at that point. And believe me you'll want to go to college. I regret not going to university in the first place. Oh well, at least with my grades and memberships of the other college I went to I get in "easy".

I will however suggest staying out of IT unless you are a) REALLY good at programming/ database design/ web development or 2) are a technophile anyway, and don't mind keep track of every single tech update. The latter point there is actually something I forgot to add about the annoyances of IT field. You know that old joke where you buy a computer, and on the way out of the store, you see a billboard for something that just made your purchase obsolete? Same thing with IT education. When you learn it, chances are there's something to replace it on the way, something ELSE you have to educate yourself for. I was there during the Office/Database XP/Vista transfer, what a mess that was, they completely changed all of their software for no reason. We had to relearn all the quirks of the Vista versions of the software instead of focusing on getting things done.

Edited by Fates

Economy is just gonna get worse.Until a huge revolution happens and stuff becomes very cheap....we could all celebrate that on Luida's bar with a giant slime meat bun.

It's gonna happen

Such a doomsayer. Negative thinking like that doesn't help!

The bad ones were all the same, they expected you to know the content already and were dumbfounded when you weren't following... one outright even refused to give any advice at all.

That's far too common, unfortunately. Teachers who tell students, "Figure it out!" need to go. That's why you're there. Folks aren't paying money for independent study.

I'm really wondering just how helpful a degree will be at this point.
It really depends on what you're planning on doing. If a company makes a snap judgment based solely on the degree or school, you probably don't want to be working for them. It's the person and the skills that get you the job. Your education is what you make of it. A degree isn't one size fits all. Knew somebody who thought a masters would be the key to success. It wasn't. Wanna know why? You can read the material and pass all the tests, but the end result doesn't matter when ya already had deplorable people skills that degraded even further over the years!

I wouldn't look too down on community colleges. Many courses use the same books as the big schools. They're a great option for folks who want or need to stay closer to home. That and you get more or less the same information without having to pay for bloat or pay off a loan. Many teachers from UT and UH also teach at ACC and HCC. There are also these things called University Centers popping up around town that offer credit for the big schools by streaming and conferencing. This is a wonderful program, because it grants more people access to higher education and a degree from a major university at a fraction of the cost.

seeing talk of settling for jobs at walmart and gamestop....makes my stomache ache. I wish more people attempted to make the most of the brain god gave them. These people are not stupid. If they tried I would bet my life that they could succeed at anything.....unless they truly want to just work at walmart,fastfood, or gamestop....then thats nice I guess. Just, don't be that creepy old greeder in the front of walmart....

...You really think everything is gonna be alright and we can all go eat some fried chicken? No,that's not gonna happen.Damn,you are all that optimist just to disguise the fact that this world is corrocting itself?

We could always vote for you and all of our dreams will come true.

Just got my schedule so many AP classes ;_; this year is gunna be a hard one....aspecially with college writing first hour.

I'm going back to school tommorow and it seems I'm the only one in my entire school that isn't psyched to be back. Sure I miss my friends but God knows I cherish my quiet time.

Well I go back the 6th of sept. And I got all the teachers I like except one. And I recently got a expresso maker so I have something to look forward to in the morning ^_^

I'm coming back to school at 15 or something september.I don't have many real friends,this year,I'm really screwed.I can't be Mr.Nice Retro Gamer anymore.This year...you die or you live.

...You really think everything is gonna be alright and we can all go eat some fried chicken?

It's what you make of it. Is it always good news? Heck no. Will there be bumps? Yes. You shouldn't dwell on that though. Negative thinking, doomsaying, etc... it's just counter-intuitive. How are you helping to change things when you are also being as negative as you blame the world for being?

Not saying "don't be negative at all" either, just keep it to where it has to be. Most of you in this thread are very young still. Don't get into this nasty groove of looking at all things with tinted glasses.

seeing talk of settling for jobs at walmart and gamestop....makes my stomache ache. I wish more people attempted to make the most of the brain god gave them. These people are not stupid. If they tried I would bet my life that they could succeed at anything.....unless they truly want to just work at walmart,fastfood, or gamestop....then thats nice I guess. Just, don't be that creepy old greeder in the front of walmart....

I've been working at Safeway for the past 9 years, first to help me out of financial trouble, then continued on as a means to support my college funds. The ironic thing is, by the time I'm properly finished with my college stuff (I can only afford to go part time, as I refuse to take out loans), I'll be making more than enough coin at this job that it'll be very hard for me to just up and quit without something of comparable income lined up.

Mind, Safeway does have one of the better "grunt work wages" out there if you've stuck with the company long enough (it definitely ain't Walmart), but it can be a slog to get to that point.

...You really think everything is gonna be alright and we can all go eat some fried chicken?

It's what you make of it. Is it always good news? Heck no. Will there be bumps? Yes. You shouldn't dwell on that though. Negative thinking, doomsaying, etc... it's just counter-intuitive. How are you helping to change things when you are also being as negative as you blame the world for being?

Not saying "don't be negative at all" either, just keep it to where it has to be. Most of you in this thread are very young still. Don't get into this nasty groove of looking at all things with tinted glasses.

But it's the truth.Stuff ain't goo out there are they? How did we end up talking about this anyway :D ? Also,being negative is just how I am.And I can't help it.

You said the economy was never going to get better. Could happen, might not. We don't know. Kind of a bad topic since politics will flare up. So yeah, best we move on.

I'm still annoyed I have to wait until January to start school. Meh.

After we all stopped talking of my pessimist thinking,this topic died. Karma,that is

...You really think everything is gonna be alright and we can all go eat some fried chicken? No,that's not gonna happen.Damn,you are all that optimist just to disguise the fact that this world is corrocting itself?

Yes, but do not worry.

The future of the world is contained by us, the Shinra Electric Power Company.

After we all stopped talking of my pessimist thinking,this topic died. Karma,that is

More like everyone running out of things to talk about. Aren't you about as young as me? Sure we ain't idiots but I doubt we know as much about economy as the grown-ups so it'd be a smart idea to leave it to them for the time being.