Suikoden 5

Red Dragon

All the hype about the Suikoden series is with Suikoden II. It is the best in the series (the rest not even close), but unless you can get a good emulation for it, it's going to cost $100+ unless it is re-released. The quality of the main series vary in quality, from the gentleman's C- effort of Suikoden IV to the A (outside of price) of Suikoden II which I have right there behind Arcanum and Ultima VII on my favorites list. Suikoden V came after IV. I played the games in the order of III, IV, V, I, II, Tactics, and Tierkenis. I'd rate them in order from worst to best as IV (C-/D+), Tactics ©, Tierkenis (B-), I (B), III (B), V (A-), and II (A).

Graphics - B+. Probably the best graphics for an RPG outside of DQVIII or FFX/XII. I'm used to not so good graphics with RPGs. The graphics of the Suikoden series generally get the job done. They are solid, not spectacular. V is somewhere between solid and spectacular, depending on the area and particular cut scenes. The HQ area was spectacular.

Story and Atmosphere - A - After the disaster that was IV, this landed on its feet. There's a lot of influence from II here, although not quite on that level, is still better than 99% of what's out there. You're the prince of a queendom enveloped in a political civil war. Everybody has their agenda and their sides, and you have to navigate that. People join you for different reasons. Those are trademarks of the Suikoden series, but V does it better than most of the others (outside II). I thought the villains were very good. Dolph in particular makes an impression. The interplay between the Knights, Royal Family members, and factions is done particularly well.

Voice Acting - B+ on an RPG curve. B on all games curve. Most of it was a real good job, although the sidekick can get annoying. It's not in Tidus from FFX category.

Combat and Play Control - A. I'd put this even better than Suikoden II. It's one of the best systems I've seen. The 6 character party is back, and unlike III, you control all characters. The duels are improved. The military battles (somewhat real time) are mastered, and improved off of II. The Suikoden experience system makes things a little easy at times, but that's part of having 108 stars and avoiding major unbalancing. Introduced is the well done skill system and formation systems.

Difficulty - B - Suikoden games aren't difficult in its mainline, but getting the 108 stars is. This is no different than the others on that. Game overs are rare. Save often, and use multiple save spots though to avoid missing a star.

Length - B - If you want all the characters, it is long. Good in the first play-through, but can drag in subsequent playings.

Endings - B - Not bad. They really don't stick out that much one way or the other. The premature bad endings are worth seeing (Save your game first before that point). I think the unofficial "2nd best" ending is actually the best one.

Overall - A- It's not Suikoden II, but it is a very good effort and a bit underrated. You hear about I (good although aged a little rough) and II (elite), but not III, IV, and V. III has a great story and rough gameplay (which I got past, but others didn't). IV sucked. V however was quite good. If you like the series, I'd recommend this one.

All the hype about the Suikoden series is with Suikoden II. It is the best in the series (the rest not even close), but unless you can get a good emulation for it, it's going to cost $100+ unless it is re-released. The quality of the main series vary in quality, from the gentleman's C- effort of Suikoden IV to the A (outside of price) of Suikoden II which I have right there behind Arcanum and Ultima VII on my favorites list. Suikoden V came after IV. I played the games in the order of III, IV, V, I, II, Tactics, and Tierkenis. I'd rate them in order from worst to best as IV (C-/D+), Tactics ©, Tierkenis (B-), I (B), III (B), V (A-), and II (A).

Graphics - B+. Probably the best graphics for an RPG outside of DQVIII or FFX/XII. I'm used to not so good graphics with RPGs. The graphics of the Suikoden series generally get the job done. They are solid, not spectacular. V is somewhere between solid and spectacular, depending on the area and particular cut scenes. The HQ area was spectacular.

Story and Atmosphere - A - After the disaster that was IV, this landed on its feet. There's a lot of influence from II here, although not quite on that level, is still better than 99% of what's out there. You're the prince of a queendom enveloped in a political civil war. Everybody has their agenda and their sides, and you have to navigate that. People join you for different reasons. Those are trademarks of the Suikoden series, but V does it better than most of the others (outside II). I thought the villains were very good. Dolph in particular makes an impression. The interplay between the Knights, Royal Family members, and factions is done particularly well.

Voice Acting - B+ on an RPG curve. B on all games curve. Most of it was a real good job, although the sidekick can get annoying. It's not in Tidus from FFX category.

Combat and Play Control - A. I'd put this even better than Suikoden II. It's one of the best systems I've seen. The 6 character party is back, and unlike III, you control all characters. The duels are improved. The military battles (somewhat real time) are mastered, and improved off of II. The Suikoden experience system makes things a little easy at times, but that's part of having 108 stars and avoiding major unbalancing. Introduced is the well done skill system and formation systems.

Difficulty - B - Suikoden games aren't difficult in its mainline, but getting the 108 stars is. This is no different than the others on that. Game overs are rare. Save often, and use multiple save spots though to avoid missing a star.

Length - B - If you want all the characters, it is long. Good in the first play-through, but can drag in subsequent playings.

Endings - B - Not bad. They really don't stick out that much one way or the other. The premature bad endings are worth seeing (Save your game first before that point). I think the unofficial "2nd best" ending is actually the best one.

Overall - A- It's not Suikoden II, but it is a very good effort and a bit underrated. You hear about I (good although aged a little rough) and II (elite), but not III, IV, and V. III has a great story and rough gameplay (which I got past, but others didn't). IV sucked. V however was quite good. If you like the series, I'd recommend this one

While I generally agree with what has been said here, I have to mention the atrociously slender text font, and the even more atrociously slow text speed.

RPG developers, I understand that the text is an important part of the game. However, most of us like to be able to press the confirmation button to see the entire text at once rather than wait for the text to be spelled out one letter at a time.

If I had to rate the Suikoden Games, I would rate them:

1st Class (Great): I, II, IV

2nd Class (Middling): V, Rhapsodia (Tactics), Suikogaiden I & II

3rd Class (Just Awful): III, Tierkris

Suikoden I is a masterpiece of a game. It just broke every convention RPGs had at the time. Hell, the whole plot dump at the very end was just terrific.

Suikoden II was a great game in all ways, save for a shitty localization. They basically took Suikoden I, and made it better. This game had the best soundtrack of the series, though all of them were great.

Suikoden III is one of the worst games I have ever played. It is nothing but an endless procession of hunting out which NPC to talk to next. The game was so dialog-ridden, that they threw in a straight-through dungeon every now and then with a single treasure chest full of items to remind you that you are playing a game. They should have made this game Suikogaiden III, for all the cuckolding that went on between the player, game play, and story.

Suikoden IV was a great little game. It was a true sequel to Suikoden II, itself a great RPG, as well. IV is short, but action-packed, with a fast moving plot, an impressively direct villain, and the coolest True Rune of them all.

Suikoden Tactics was a fun little game...that I beat in five hours. $#!& that game. For the forty dollars I paid, I should have at least gotten double digit game play hours.

I felt V to have a good start, and a good ending, but the middle was significantly lacking. Unlike IV, which had very good pacing, and absolutely amazing PS2 graphics, progressing in V felt laborious at times, and the character models lost the excellent realism they had in IV. I greatly appreciated the common, bird's eye, camera-view, however.

Suikoden Tierkris is a $#!&ing joke.

Suikoden I is a masterpiece of a game. It just broke every convention RPGs had at the time. Hell, the whole plot dump at the very end was just terrific.

Suikoden II was a great game in all ways, save for a shitty localization. They basically took Suikoden I, and made it better. This game had the best soundtrack of the series, though all of them were great.

Suikoden III is one of the worst games I have ever played. It is nothing but an endless procession of hunting out which NPC to talk to next. The game was so dialog-ridden, that they threw in a straight-through dungeon every now and then with a single treasure chest full of items to remind you that you are playing a game. They should have made this game Suikogaiden III, for all the cuckolding that went on between the player, game play, and story.

Suikoden IV was a great little game. It was a true sequel to Suikoden II, itself a great RPG, as well. IV is short, but action-packed, with a fast moving plot, an impressively direct villain, and the coolest True Rune of them all.

Suikoden Tactics was a fun little game...that I beat in five hours. $#!& that game. For the forty dollars I paid, I should have at least gotten double digit game play hours.

I felt V to have a good start, and a good ending, but the middle was significantly lacking. Unlike IV, which had very good pacing, and absolutely amazing PS2 graphics, progressing in V felt laborious at times, and the character models lost the excellent realism they had in IV. I greatly appreciated the common, bird's eye, camera-view, however.

Meh.

Suikoden V was on the second tier along with Suikoden III. There's not much that I can remember about Suikoden IV, and that's a Bad Thing.

Meh.

Suikoden V was on the second tier along with Suikoden III. There's not much that I can remember about Suikoden IV, and that's a Bad Thing.

That is not the game's fault.

It sure is the game's fault if I can't remember anything about it, because I've played every Suikoden except Tactics and Tierkris at least twice through.

There was plenty of opportunity for Suikoden IV to impress me.

That I remember relatively little compared to the other Suikoden games means that nothing great stuck out to me. I suppose the navy fights were moderately interesting, although I would've preferred more ships.

It sure is the game's fault if I can't remember anything about it, because I've played every Suikoden except Tactics and Tierkris at least twice through.

There was plenty of opportunity for Suikoden IV to impress me.

That I remember relatively little compared to the other Suikoden games means that nothing great stuck out to me. I suppose the navy fights were moderately interesting, although I would've preferred more ships.

"Muhurmana, hur. Harumph, blah, blah. I am ever so entitled, fra-la!"

:: shrugs ::

Still doesn't mean I think Suikoden IV is as good as Suikoden I or II.

:: shrugs ::

Still doesn't mean I think Suikoden IV is as good as Suikoden I or II.

They are nearly the exact same games. They had the same plot, but with different proper nouns.

Step One: Identify Evil Authority.

Step Two: Get plot-device rune.

Step Three: Amass rebel force.

Step Four: Get 108 stars before Step Five.

Step Five: Overthrow Evil Authority.

Step Six: Final boss battle that is superfluous to the plot.

The only reason you did not like Suikoden IV, was that you had already beaten it twice before, as Suikodens I and II.

They are nearly the exact same games. They had the same plot, but with different proper nouns.

The only reason you did not like Suikoden IV, was that you had already beaten it twice before, as Suikodens I and II.

Uh, no. I liked Suikoden V more than I liked Suikoden IV, so this logic falls apart. Heck, I like Suikoden V more than I like III.

In a related topic, I'm not a fan of being told what I should and shouldn't like.

Uh, no. I liked Suikoden V more than I liked Suikoden IV, so this logic falls apart. Heck, I like Suikoden V more than I like III.

In a related topic, I'm not a fan of being told what I should and shouldn't like.

Dude, I am just $#!&ing with you. You have every right to like or not like, whatever the hell you want to. Putting up what you think on a forum, however, entitles anyone to comment however they want to. You do not have to justify your opinion to me, even as illogical as I think it is.

When you said, "There was plenty of opportunity for Suikoden IV to impress me," you were blaming the game for your opinion. This was a passive aggressive way of saying that "I was wrong," and that, through no fault of your own, you found the game was bad.

My praise for IV over V was that it had better pacing, and better graphics. You cannot tell me the circumstances for obtaining your True Rune in IV was not cooler than in V. In IV, you got it from a DYING PIRATE, in V, you open a cabinet and it just stick to you. What I, II, and V had most in common with each other, but not IV, was significant melodrama.

When you said, "There was plenty of opportunity for Suikoden IV to impress me," you were blaming the game for your opinion. This was a passive aggressive way of saying that "I was wrong," and that, through no fault of your own, you found the game was bad.

Buzz. There was no passive aggressiveness at all, I did find the game bad. Thank you for playing and the pseudo psychoanalysis.

Buzz. There was no passive aggressiveness at all, I did find the game bad. Thank you for playing and the pseudo psychoanalysis.

Denial is a sign of guilt. Being obstructionist, also, is a primary red-flag for passive aggression. If you would only explain to me why you did not like the game, we can clear away some of the present fog. You have admitted that my comparison of I, II, and IV, also applied to V, which you liked. Therefore your standing on IV would seem fallacious. Was the game too hard? Did the texture-mapped 3D frighten you? Did Jeanne's jiggling boobies send you into a panic attack? Was the game too-hyped at its release and your response was to be iconoclastic? Are you afraid of pirates?

Archived