Sign in to follow this  
Cesar Hernandez-Meraz

Dragon Quest V

This looks really, really god. It's cool.

I see the kid, Debora all the way (most interesting wife in the game)

Thanks! For more parenting options, follow the link.

Very nicely done. Seeing Rex/Parry with the green hair is especially nice... how funny it would be to see his ancestor's hair color pop back into existence.

Thanks, everyone.

what program did you use?

Lines were drawn by hand, then scanned. Colors were done in GIMP.

Very nicely done. Seeing Rex/Parry with the green hair is especially nice... how funny it would be to see his ancestor's hair color pop back into existence.

Er... I had a way more recent green-haired ancestor in mind for him.

This is so cute! <3 It's a very nice callback to the scene with Papas and the main character in generation I.

• Upvote 1

Thanks, Lily.

Mireia, I love it when people recognize what I'm aiming for in any pic, thanks.

Indo, you're fine now, and you can only get better. Get some pencils and keep going at it. And share your pics.

Also, I'm sad to see you're not getting along with your family as well as you would like to. Try to see if there is anything you can do to improve this. If there is, you can start doing it, at your own pace. If there is not, then at least you cannot feel as bad, because it is not your fault. Although I wish your relationship can get better, man.

Haha, as always, love your artwork. Also a fan of the Deborah child over Bianca or Flora. :D

Thanks. My choice has always been Flora and blue-haired kids, but in this particular pic, black hair helped me emphasize the link between them, so that is why I chose it for what I see as the "main" version (although there were four versions of this pic).

Dragon%2BQuest%2BV%2B-%2BHero%2B%2528003
Monster Master, January.

Part of a collection of pics I want to draw this year. I hope you like it. The simple pencil line is because I like how it looks and because it is quick enough to draw.

Edited by Cesar Hernandez-Meraz
  • Upvote 1

Very nice. I love it!

Great Dragon!

Did you draw it for the Chinese New Year?

This is the first time I saw your first picture as well. (June was a bad month for me last year). Gorgeous picture!

Thanks, both of you.

I heard about the Chinese new year (when we needed translations for a site and were told the Chinese text would come later because of that). But I did not know we were starting the year of the dragon.

I simply chose some monsters that are characteristic to DQ V. In my first sketch I had used a slime instead of the baby panther, but when I finished the 12 rough sketches I realized each monster selection had to be special. Then I knew I already had the perfect monster for the hero as a kid. For the grownup, I used great dragon because it was highly featured in the old artwork (from the SFC game), it is a DQ V original, and because it is one of my favorite dragons (if not the number 1). I just added the gold orb to make this a little more "canon" instead of just a composition (although the great dragon did not go back in time, but anyway).

I remember how busy you were back then. Glad you liked the old pic. After it was done, I realized I should have used my PS2 game first thing as a reference. The DS game changes a few thing and others are not so clear, so there are some errors in the picture.

I wanted the great dragon in the first pic to be goofier, like a "good" monster. For the second one I respected its expression so it looks more menacing.

BTW, by "12 rough sketches", I mean for the whole collection, not 12 sketches for this pic.

Ah, I forgot to mention. I couldn't seem to find the alternative versions of the picture. Though I do think that Deborah is the best bride so I'm not too upset, but I would like to see them.

Your latest picture really had a "card" feeling to it, so I wouldn't have been suprised if you were sending it out to family and freinds as a Chinese New Year card. But I guess you plan on making one with the Dragon Lord now? *hopeful*

I could draw a Dragon Lord card, but it would be out of this collection.

I want to draw a Monster Master Calendar for 2013 (a way to say "fools" to all the guys who think the world will end now, plus I never created one). Next in line is Terry (and "Terry?", too). Wait for my monster selections for that one (both are the obvious ones, although a third was close to being selected, but was beat at the end by a dragoness... Mostly because he is cooler as a mentor or boss (or even as the strongest demon), but not as a trained monster.

For the alternate kids pic, go to my blog:

http://icecypher.blogspot.com/search/label/dq%3Ahero%20%28v%29

Search for the post for that pic and click on the small image at the end of it.

Dragon%2BQuest%2BV%2B-%2BBoy%2B%2528002%2529.jpg

Killer stalker.

Hello, everyone.

Here is an old picture I finally decided to color (it was originally intended to stay as B&W).

They are the DQ V kids attacking a DQ VII killer stalker.

• Upvote 1

But but, Bianca is the choice! Why do they have blue hair?

Bad lighting.

Yay.

Dragon%2BQuest%2BV%2B-%2BFlora%2B%252800

Queen Flora returns!

A little pic of king Abel and his children, prince Rex and princess Tabitha of Granvania. And, of course, queen Flora, too.

Flora is wearing the princess robe. Abel wears the sun crown and the royal mant. Rex wears the heavenly equipment. Tabitha wears the wind hat and the water hagoromo.

Matt, this is really Bianca again.

And, again, the lighting is what makes their fair hair look blue.

:)

That is absolutely amazing.  Fantastic work Cesar and thank you so much for sharing.

Thank you. I felt it was a good moment to finish a pic focusing on actual events from a game once more. :)