SaGa 3 DS Translation

Cool. I don't know anything about SaGa 3 but I wanted to jump in say that it's cool that you are getting into the hacking biz. Good luck with the project.

You're aware there's a group doing the same?

Oh wait, they're... dead. :(

Go dude go! You're my only hope at playing SaGa 3.

Cool. I don't know anything about SaGa 3 but I wanted to jump in say that it's cool that you are getting into the hacking biz. Good luck with the project.

It's something I've always wanted to do. The game has been so far easy enough to work with but a few things are giving me issues. Luckily I work with some very talented programmers IRL that were able to help me with a couple of them.

You might have played a game called Final Fantasy Legend III. Well it's actually SaGa III and was only branded Final Fantasy here so it would sell. Kind of like Final Fantasy Adventure is really the first game in the Mana series.

Edited by Cain

It's something I've always wanted to do. The game has been so far easy enough to work with but a few things are giving me issues. Luckily I work with some very talented programmers IRL that were able to help me with a couple of them.

You might have played a game called Final Fantasy Legend III. Well it's actually SaGa III and was only branded Final Fantasy here so it would sell. Kind of like Final Fantasy Adventure is really the first game in the Mana series.

Hmmm, well while you're hacking it, why not change the name to Dragon Quest 3? I wouldn't hesitate to play it then! Kidding aside, maybe I should check out this SaGa series you speak of.

SaGa 2 is a pretty linear RPG. Pretty good, at that.

I can send my translated ROM for ya, the place that did the translation is dead, and I don't have the patch anymore. :/

• 6 months later...

Good luck with this translation, SaGa 3 is in more need of an translation, 2 was linear and people could have played it without any, this one has sidequests that are needed to advance or getting the real ending. The SaGa series are amazing after you understand the mechanics ( no character levels/ stats improve only after doing a certain action etc )

Well we should have a menu patch out by the end of the month. We have a few house keeping things to finish up, then it will go into testing for a week or so. After that we'll release it to the public. Once the holidays are over we'll move on to getting the main script translated.

Can't wait for the full script. I'm mid-way through the original GB version, awesome title, very underrated.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your hard work! I recently imported this game and I'd love for lots of non-Japanese-fluent people to be able to enjoy it!

The Gameboy SaGa games are some of my all-time favorites, so this translation makes me very happy <3

Your goal -is- to translate the whole game eventually, right? I really want to play it wholy in english.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh man, been looking for a translation effort. To think there was one right here. Can't wait for this to be completed. I was sad when the ones who translated SaGa 2 disbanded, because that translation was amazing.

When this DOES come out I'll have to get a rom and emulate this. SaGa Thwee! Wee!

• 3 weeks later...

Oh man, been looking for a translation effort. To think there was one right here. Can't wait for this to be completed. I was sad when the ones who translated SaGa 2 disbanded, because that translation was amazing.

The one who translated SaGa 2 is also doing this one. Actually it's pretty much the same team minus a couple people.

• 1 month later...

Played a bit of this last night, it's amazing seeing FFL3 with a touch of FFL2 in it.  Still trying to figure out how to min-max it, although I'm probably going to hold off and work on getting my first playthrough of SaGa 2 done (the last boss is evil).

My only suggestion would be to examine the names of the characters and make sure they're not attempting to use English names in Katakana or something.  Some of them are a bit awkward sounding right now.  For example, what is Sireugh in the original Japanese?  シリュー?  That's "Shiryuu" in Romaji -- which is pronounced as a reasonable approximation to "Celia" in Japanese.

• 1 year later...

For those interested, we're going to be releasing a public beta "soon". All the menus, main script and almost all the sub events are complete. :)

Wow, that's great.  Excellent progress.  What's left in the project then? Just testing, proofreading and script revisions? 

Can you recommend a good DS emulator? And I do mean good. :w

I've been wanting to play this for... some good damn time. Ever since I kicked the &#036;#&#33;&amp; outta Apollo and Warmech in SaGa 2.

Can you recommend a good DS emulator? And I do mean good. :w

Have you tried DeSmuME?  There really is no other DS Emulator worth mentioning.  no$gba and iDeaS have both fallen really far behind and can't really compete with DeSmuME.  They were great pioneering efforts into DS emulation, but haven't been very useful for a few years now.

Wow, that's great.  Excellent progress.  What's left in the project then? Just testing, proofreading and script revisions?

There's a little bit of text to translate and proofread, but it's mostly just testing, hence the public beta. The more people that play it the more problems they'll find that we can fix up for the 1.0 release. Our internal testers though have played the game a lot so it should be a pretty solid beta. I've spent over 50 hours testing myself.