What are you reading?

I am halfway through third book from the Kane Chronicles series (The Serpent's Shadow). After that, I want to read a novella written by a friend, who won a local contest last year and was published.

I just bought Carrie last week (easier to find now that the new movie edition was published). Before that one my most recent King purchases were The Talisman (which is too long, so it will have to wait until a long period of free time) and The Wind Through the Keyhole (which I do not know if I should read before I start the Dark Tower series, but I do not know when that would be, since I do not have the books, only the comic books).

I would love to re-read Duma Key or Cell, but that would leave me less time to read other books I have never read...

I really loved Cell. I think part of the appeal was the fact that the protagonst was sort a geek himself. He wrote grapic novels for Dark Horse, IRC.

I finished the Neverending Story. It started out brilliant until halfway, when the book switches protagonists--after that it went downhill, which is a pity because I really thought it was gonna be a full 5/5. *sigh* The book loses all the Objectives from the first half and introduces a whole new cast of characters, it also becomes more surreal with very esoteric symbology in the second half, which I found confusing because it was originally meant as a children's book. A lot of characters are introduced and just done away with, having no impact on the story or the ending at all. The protagonist also becomes a megalomaniac of sorts and his actions cause death and destruction. I found it rather difficult tolerate to him. I love the first protagonist though.

Anyway, talking about King, I'll be starting Dreamcatcher now. I think it's one of the few one's i haven't read yet.

I finished the Neverending Story.

Oxymoron?

Loved the movie, don't know what I'd think of the book. Usually it's the other way around with me (book before movie), so I'm torn if I should even try. Then again, the Lord of the Rings movies have been good adaptations.

From what I read on Wikipedia:

The first movie is the adaption of the first half of the book.(Atreyu's story--which was gorgeous and charming)

The second movie is a sort of adaption of the second half the book(Bastion's story) :(

The third movie is an original cinematic production, that doesn't use any source material from the book.

I used to be fascinated with the first film myself as a child. I really loved the rock eaters and if i recall correctly they even gave him a son. My favourite, though, was how they portrayed the luck dragon. It looked like a big white fluffy dog in the sky!

Interesting. I vaguely recall a 2nd movie, but not a third at all. Something to look up in the future. My wife and I cleared 3 movies from our queue today, so maybe it's time to add some old ones.

• 3 weeks later...

I suddenly got the urge to finish the last 50 or so pages of The Shining and I have to say, I preferred the climax way more in the book than the movie. While I still love the movie, I like how the book gave more insight into the characters and the origins of the hotel. Danny's shining ability was used a lot more in the book than the movie too, which I appreciate because I always thought it was underused in the movie.

The copy I read also included an excerpt of Dr. Sleep and I was impressed at how seamless the transition was. Despite being written 20-30 years later it felt like it was written right after The Shining. Definitely going to check it out soon.