Sign in to follow this  
Vetus

Dragon Quest - Yuusha Abel Densetsu

http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=2091

Has anyone from you saw this anime? If so, I would like to hear your opinions. For those who're interested, I checked Gensoteam's fansub project but they translated only the first five episodes with english subtitles. So my hope is that either ANBU will keep translating it or another group will continue it (since there's a torrent with all the raw episodes on internet which you can easily find).

Edited by Vetus
  • Upvote 1

I saw Abel and came here expecting a Dragon Quest V manga :(

• Upvote 1

I haven't seen it entirely, but from what I saw in the first 13 episodes I really liked it. It's awesome toriyama art filled with awesome dragon quest music and some cool monster fighting and adventuring.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

You sometimes come over as really demanding Lilly. It's not like we are here to serve you, you should be happy with any answers we give you.

dragon_quest.jpg

Basically these are the main characters. You have the hero who goes out to retrieve the girl behind him that is kidnapped by the main villain Baramos.

You have have the magician on the left, who has a bit of a pervy old man personality. It's sweet to see whenever he casts a spell. They all come from the games and are named.

You have the yangus type in the middle, who fights with his club and is a bit stupid.

Then you have on the right, the bounty hunter, who just goes along to collect the coins (in this case jewels) that drop whenever a monster is killed.

I think the anime was made somewhere between DQ IV and V. So it only features monsters from games before that. The headwear of Abel is also very similar to the main hero from IV.

I enjoy it, because it really plays out like you were watching a game. All the elements are there.

You sometimes come over as really demanding Lilly. It's not like we are here to serve you, you should be happy with any answers we give you.

Yeah, that's why it's sometimes good to ignore things until they learn to use websites like Google and YouTube...or even this one.

Baramos? The same Baramos that was in 3?

No just by name, if you look at the pic you can see he's different.

I've yet to watch this (even though I do have the first three episodes).

Knowing only a few episodes were translated is sad, because it means when I start watching it I will not be able to finish it.

However, I have been toying with the idea of drawing a couple of fan-art pics from this series.

NO links to other sites, please just tell. I just want short answers.

Why? Does your computer reads only this site? Or are you lazy enough to click to other links?

She's bad at gathering information.

Here, I went through the trouble of typing up a synopsis for you.

2j51it5.jpg

Here is the best way to gather information quick and easy:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Dragon+Quest+-+Yuusha+Abel+Densetsu

What? "It's all greek to me!" you say? Oooooops! My bad! Wrong language! :whoa:

That's funny - that's exactly the reason why she asks for details instead of links.

I'll help out by imparting my knowledge. Note that my knowledge is sparse.

The Abel anime tells the story of Tiala and Abel. On Tiala's 15th birthday she recieves a legendary red stone. Only she can possess and draw out the power of this stone. The red stone has some link to summoning a powerful dragon, but it does not work alone. There's another stone, the blue stone, that only Abel can wield. Neither Abel nor Tiala know anything about these stones and their roles.

There's an ancient civilization, called Estark, that ruled the world long ago. Baramos, the big baddie, played a role in Estark's fall (I think...). He's searching for the stones and needs Tiala to wield the red stone's power.

Baramos attacks Tiala's village, kidnaps her and her stone, leaving Abel behind. Abel goes off to rescue Tiala accompanied by his friend Mokomoko. On the journey Yanack the mage and Daisy the warrior join them.

I enjoyed the first 13 episodes of the anime, the only episodes released in English. The anime has a total of 42 Japanese episodes (so we were cheated out of 29 episodes!). I would love to have the chance to see the rest of the series. I hope the translating team continues their work... (or else they'll be cheating the DQ fandom world!)

• Upvote 1

Hi Jess, et. al.,

I've been searching on and off for Dragon Warrior/Quest "Abel Yuusha" anime fully translated for about 20 years. I used to watch it as a kid. It was on US TV somewhere around the time Dragon Warrior II or III came out for NES. I remember it featured some of Koichi Sugiyama's music (such as the DWIV Balloon theme) from games that had not yet reached the US when the episodes originally aired. It ran for a year or so, and then I believe there were legal disputes over Saban not crediting Toriyama for his character design; this resulted in Saban canceling the US series. It might just be these same legal issues that have kept it from seeing any form of US release.

Some underground comics stores (quite a few places in Manhattan) carry bootlegged versions of the Abel anime series, but it's just episodes 1-13. I've owned a few different versions over the years: VHS dubbed and subbed, some abridged subtitled versions from Ebay, downloaded Real Media files from the pre-Napster days, and VHS-to-DVD ports. None of them go beyond episode 13. If anyone knows of any fan subs of all 42, it would be much appreciated, but again, since the anime is so old, I'm not counting on it.

Liam

Hi Jess, et. al.,

I've been searching on and off for Dragon Warrior/Quest "Abel Yuusha" anime fully translated for about 20 years. I used to watch it as a kid. It was on US TV somewhere around the time Dragon Warrior II or III came out for NES. I remember it featured some of Koichi Sugiyama's music (such as the DWIV Balloon theme) from games that had not yet reached the US when the episodes originally aired. It ran for a year or so, and then I believe there were legal disputes over Saban not crediting Toriyama for his character design; this resulted in Saban canceling the US series. It might just be these same legal issues that have kept it from seeing any form of US release.

Some underground comics stores (quite a few places in Manhattan) carry bootlegged versions of the Abel anime series, but it's just episodes 1-13. I've owned a few different versions over the years: VHS dubbed and subbed, some abridged subtitled versions from Ebay, downloaded Real Media files from the pre-Napster days, and VHS-to-DVD ports. None of them go beyond episode 13. If anyone knows of any fan subs of all 42, it would be much appreciated, but again, since the anime is so old, I'm not counting on it.

Liam

I have access to all the 42 episodes high quality in Japanese, translated in french. I think you won't find any other then that. I understand french pretty well, but I bet most of you don't. Since most french speaking people don't know english that well I wouldn't count on a english translation all that soon either, so the only solution is to go and find you some bilingual Canadian buddies. ;p

I hope one hint to the puzzle, might be alright: "gensoteam"

I have access to all the 42 episodes high quality in Japanese, translated in french.

av-6518.gif

Legend, is that dubbed or subbed?

I think I could help if subbed (only to get the English text, though).

Subbed and very good quality compared to those 13 english episodes I watched before I had these.

Still got to finish the story though. I don't always feel like watching, because I have to concentrate pretty hard to keep up with the french.

Subbed and very good quality compared to those 13 english episodes I watched before I had these.

Still got to finish the story though. I don't always feel like watching, because I have to concentrate pretty hard to keep up with the french.

I know what you mean. Fast-paced French would be hard for me too, even if it's text (fast-paced listening would be next to impossible, LOL). It's a good thing that, when needed, the process can be done with the help of the pause function, heheheheh.

So.... we have two choices. Learn Japanese or learn how to read French. Well... I hate to say this but I have to... c'est la vie. Such is the life of a Dragon Quest fan.

Yup, full of reasons to upgrade onself!

My television set and my VCR in 1990.