Sign in to follow this  
SOuimet

Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2 Pro translation

Hey, just wondering whether this translation project is still ongoing, or if, sadly, it has died. I'm hoping it's ongoing, because the Wiki that had a walkthrough with general objectives and whatnot for this game seems to have totally disappeared, just when I decide I want to resume playing, so it'd certainly be nice to be able to have a clear idea of progression, not to mention a more general understanding of things (Addmitedly, though, the menu translation available thus far is more than adequate.)

• Upvote 1

Hey Lord_Goltan,

The project seems to have stalled as we haven't heard anything from Sylvain since December.  When he last reported in, he had successfully decompressed the data and was working on a recompressor, which he admitted was much more difficult. 

I have asked for an update from him, but haven't heard.  He may pop back in randomly at some point when the mood strikes him, but I don't believe it is being actively worked on at the moment.

I recently started playing Joker 2 Professional emulated on my Shield and thought to myself:  "There should certainly be a fan translation of this considering most of the game is already done."  Well, after a lot of looking, I couldn't really find anything concrete.  There are discussions about it, but I couldn't actually locate it anywhere.

Yeah, there are a bunch of "work-in-progress" patches floating around but they are all just for menu translations.  The game script itself was compressed and encrypted in such a way that unpacking and repacking it has proven a bit too much work for people who can only work on this in their spare time. 

I believe there was a project that had a Patch O or something like that which had actually a fair chunk of the stuff roughly translated. Sadly, that project has come to an end.

Hello. First, I'd like to thank you SOuimet for your hard work. Hope you log in again some day and read this (or maybe your read this without logging in).

Second. Similar to Riffmaster last page, my game got buggy near the end.  But unlike him, the blackscreens I am getting in the Underground World won't let me even finish the game (I am getting blackscreened 100% of the time in the portal, I've tried like a dozen times and with different parties). So, I'd like to ask a couple of things (I wanted to ask SOuimet himself through PM, but he hasn't logged in a while):

1) If I back up my save game and try to use it for an unpatched Japanese version of Pro, will it work well?

2) And second, is the post game really good? So far I had a lot of fun, but maybe I should just try to get the Terry Wonderland/DQM3D games instead?

Edited by abisal

Hello. First, I'd like to thank you SOuimet for your hard work. Hope you log in again some day and read this (or maybe your read this without logging in).

Second. Similar to Riffmaster last page, my game got buggy near the end.  But unlike him, the blackscreens I am getting in the Underground World won't let me even finish the game (I am getting blackscreened 100% of the time in the portal, I've tried like a dozen times and with different parties). So, I'd like to ask a couple of things (I wanted to ask SOuimet himself through PM, but he hasn't logged in a while):

1) If I back up my save game and try to use it for an unpatched Japanese version of Pro, will it work well?

2) And second, is the post game really good? So far I had a lot of fun, but maybe I should just try to get the Terry Wonderland/DQM3D games instead?

I've played the postgame before and beaten it before I lost my old computer to viruses and such. The postgame world of Professional contains many monsters you can't find anywhere else, a song or two played nowhere else (from DWM), and most of the bosses are references to the Dragon Quest series (one of them is Aamon and an Andreal/Rashaverak, for example). You have to beat the postgame world to unlock the Incarnus battles that are available in Joker 2 vanilla, and perform some other action in addition to unlock the dream egg you can buy from a shop one of the Pipits runs. The dream egg has some rare monsters you can't normally get otherwise, such as Barbarus.

Giants are so much better in Professional than they are in vanilla it's almost hilarious. AI was touched up, they don't cancel multiple actions if given a direct order, Grand Slammer and multi-action traits were merged together so all of them can act more than once, and Night Clubber was nerfed.

I will be starting to learn how to translate DS Games from JP to ENG, if this translation is still ongoing or the Leader of the Translation sees this, may i get a updated version of the ROM so i can help Translate the rest of the game, i will dedicate my time to make this game 100% with the help of nearby friends. or if not then i can start off from Scratch, i found a Version where the menu is Translated, Battle menu, and items, (Dont know if its the most recent update) So if anyone on the team sees this, please let me know.  :wd_coolslime:

• Upvote 2

The project is on hold at the moment.  The team made some good technical break-through's to be able to extract and decompress the entire game script.  Translation is not going to commence until a proof of concept is done on the recompression and re-insertion side of things.  SOuimet was working on that, but he hasn't been heard from since July 19th of this year.  I think all we can do now is wait for him to re-emerge from the shadows with a new helping of free time. 

Presumably someone with an interest (and some skill) in hacking could try to pick up where he left off, but even then there would probably be a steep learning curve.

• Upvote 1

The project is on hold at the moment.  The team made some good technical break-through's to be able to extract and decompress the entire game script.  Translation is not going to commence until a proof of concept is done on the recompression and re-insertion side of things.  SOuimet was working on that, but he hasn't been heard from since July 19th of this year.  I think all we can do now is wait for him to re-emerge from the shadows with a new helping of free time. 

Presumably someone with an interest (and some skill) in hacking could try to pick up where he left off, but even then there would probably be a steep learning curve.

Ohh alright, I understand, well i sure hope he does make an appearance yet again.

Me too!  And thanks for your offer of help with the translation.  I really hope this project reaches that stage.

Me too!  And thanks for your offer of help with the translation.  I really hope this project reaches that stage.

I hope so too! If not ill try to do a translation with my buddy, will let DD know if we do start on it.

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone could actually get in contact with SOuimet to see if he needed help or something. I'm offering some of my free time.

I've tried a couple of times recently with no response.  That being said, Cain is running this project and has all the stuff needed to keep it moving.  If your skills are in the hacking area, he might just have a job for you.  What is it you are proposing to bring to the project?  I would love to see it continue.

even with owning Joker and Joker 2, i'd still like to give this one a go once the patch is fully operational

Wait, Cain's heading this now? I thought SE C&D'ed it. That'd be cool if this game got translated. Y'know, this reminds me of Himitsu Sentai Goranger. I tried to sub that show, but when I gave up, the project leapt from person to person. Now a Portuguese fansub group is working on subbing it in English and Portuguese. I think they're near Episode 40 now?

I want to support this project if I can, I can't code/translate but if I can do something to help, even if it's small, I might not be able to help, but good luck and thank you to everyone who started, worked, and/or is working on this project now. :wink:

Anybody got a recent download for this? I've had an itch to play it lately. I remember having a version that had pretty much all of the important gameplay related stuff translated back in like 2012 but the computer that was on is dead

I have a rom of an older version. Only the monster and skill names are translated though. If that's not an issue, send me a message and I'll gladly help you out.

Edited by Jay the Hawkhart Ace

Here is the latest patch, along with instructions and the xdelta tool to apply it. 

• Upvote 2

Holy crap, I lost track of the progress on this.  I've wanted this for a very long time.  Thanks, KZ.

Edited by Griever

I do not know if this was asked, but is this translation simplified/changed a bit for english audiences? Or it directly based off the japanese text?

I believe that most of it is translated to mirror the english release of J2

Zenith its been decades its Terry's Apprentice from the original DWM2 Wifi Project which is nearling completion I was letting you know your link is broken, and that I had added you on skype and messaged you and such and asking you to get back with me

Hey TA! Sorry, I have been keeping a pretty low profile lately as a result of massively increased work load and then busy times at home.  I just checked the link above (from this post) and it seems to still work for me.  Is anyone else having trouble with that link?