Sign in to follow this  
SOuimet

Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2 Pro translation

SE asked you to stop? Odd, considering the number of DQ fan translations over the past few years...

For the info, I'm not lost and I still check in frequently (I'm not always logging in).

The setting to receive an e-mail is enabled and I received the e-mail (about 2 days ago).

I normally don't answer emails right away (yes, I'm that busy...) and I also check if it's from someone who's serious or a user who just registered to get the patch.

I didn't re-uploaded any recent versions on the wiki since I received an e-mail from a squarenix's license tracking company asking me to stop.

I don't want the patch, even in it's incomplete state, to go public.

Basically, I don't want someone to simply steal what I did and take credits (though I can gladly share my work if someone want's to try out or help to translate the script), and I don't want trouble from squarenix.

Finally, I still have all the files, and can continue the project anytime I have a clue about the script's encryption or the few other problems I have.

Why the $#!& square enix wants to stop you from translating a game that is probably never going to release in america? I mean seriously, we already lost all hope of this releasing in america when they announced DQM terry wonderland because we were more excited about this one. So why removing our chance to play this game if it will probably never releases for uses?

I just finished DQMJ2 and i was just waiting for this patch to be done, which means i will have to keep my ass on a chair for a $#!&ing whole year until they announce a new DQ at E3, fantastic...........

Scumbag Square Enix Y_Y

Maybe if they're telling you to stop that means they want to earn more money if/when they release the English version of pro?

There is a very slim chance that SE could release Pro with Terry's wonderland maybe? English Pro could possibly be a gift they've been saving this whole time. 

I seriously doubt it, and I should stop getting my hopes up. 

I just dropped by to say hello and since I didn't hear about square enix for a while (over 2 years), I don't expect them to be still following this. I thought I would leave behind the latest patch I did.

It's getting old, and I still haven't found how to get around the dialogs, so no miracles there.

Anyway, here's the stuff: http://snk.to/f-cdc5wi3u

Edited by SOuimet

I just dropped by to say hello and since I didn't hear about square enix for a while (over 2 years), I don't expect them to be still following this. I thought I would leave behind the latest patch I did.

It's getting old, and I still haven't found how to get around the dialogs, so no miracles there.

Anyway, here's the stuff: http://snk.to/f-cdc5wi3u 

404 Not Found ?

Thanks for all your hard work though. I'll be sure to give it a try once I'm able to download it.

Edited by Flute_Warrior

There was a space at the end of the url. I edited it. Should be ok now, or coping and pasting it should also be ok.

http://snk.to/f-cdc5wi3u

Edited by SOuimet

Was it literally Square Enix that contacted you, or was it someone on their behalf?

A lot of groups translating things get contacted by "helpful" lawyers in the EU, for example Germany, where a lawyer can contact someone when they are completely unrelated to both sides for "helpful advice" -- and request a payment for their "help."

Also, has anyone taken the US version of DQMJ2 and the JP version of DQMJ2 (not pro) and taken a look at both via a disassembler?  If DQMJ2 and DQMJ2P both have the same encryption or text engine, then looking at how the official patch was done might give clues as to how to break into DQMJ2P.

It was a company on their behalf. It was a bit before the DQMJ2 was out, when it was still unknown (to us) if it would be a pro or standard edition. However, no helpful advice was given, and no payment either. It was just a threat like "stop releasing or legal actions will come" sort of information.

As for the disassembler, if I knew "DS" disassembler, it would have been translated ages ago. I kinda know plain "x86" asm, but I'm still far from analyzing the code of a console game. That was the kind of help I needed to progress, and I asked here and at a few other places. It's really seems like a simple compression, kind of like rle or pcx for pictures (I shouldn't call it encryption, but I'm not 100% sure it's not partially encrypted), but I can't make sense on a couple of parts of this compression algo. Making some changes at some parts makes me lose control at another part or make it crash. Also, since I can't completely uncompress it, looking for different parts of texts is harder and harder as the game progresses (the text is more and more compressed as the same text is reused). It's the "brute force" method that I don't like. I can make a few screens and then it gets out of control.

I'm sorry I can't help you with all the technical stuff. :/

That said, I WAS working on compiling information before my harddrive croaked; I had the foresight to make a copy of the file on a flashdrive, but I'm not sure how behind on info it is in comparison to what was on my computer. Assuming I get this patch to work (and it's the same as the one you sent me), I'll be playing through the game again.

Basically, I was getting info on EVERY boss in the normal game, and every enemy and boss in Professional's exclusive postgame. Most of what I'm missing is EXP and gold values of the postgame's enemies, and some actions the enemies and bosses can perform. The EXP issues were mainly due to some monsters refusing to show up by themselves (namely Mum, Boh, Jum, and Boe). I edited the postgame walkthrough on your wiki a long while back with some stuff I'd gotten, to give you an idea of what I am/was doing. Dunno if you ever saw the changes.

EDIT: xdelta closes immediately after I open it. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I ended up trying xdelta GUI, and that didn't work. Attempting to save makes the game go to a paraplegic turtle's pace.

Edited by Shinryu

It's normal that xdelta closes immediately, if it's run in windows. It's more of a commandline utility, where parameters are passed. 

I didn't use xdelta gui, but the idea is the same. The main file is the original japanese game, and the delta file is then added to it to generate the new patched file.

As for the changes, I don't remember everything, but I used a lot of what you wrote. I don't remember if I could keep everything as space is limited.

It's normal that xdelta closes immediately, if it's run in windows. It's more of a commandline utility, where parameters are passed. 

I didn't use xdelta gui, but the idea is the same. The main file is the original japanese game, and the delta file is then added to it to generate the new patched file.

As for the changes, I don't remember everything, but I used a lot of what you wrote. I don't remember if I could keep everything as space is limited.

Well, no idea what to do about the patch you linked here, then - I had sent a copy of a patched ROM to someone I know for safekeeping in case something happened, and they sent it back to me a while ago. I'm currently playing through it to work on the rest of the walkthrough and I stopped at the first real boss (Hyper Heyedra) because I wanted to record videos, but this laptop can't handle the emulator running and recording an AVI at the same time without making the game ridiculously slow.

Souimet is all your lacking really at this point figuring out the Compression? Cain and I have been talking in another thread about helping with this. I'll take your latest patch and see if I can figure it out and let you know. Would be great to get this completed :)

Souimet is all your lacking really at this point figuring out the Compression? Cain and I have been talking in another thread about helping with this. I'll take your latest patch and see if I can figure it out and let you know. Would be great to get this completed :)

And now you know why I mentioned this one instead of DQM1R.  

Besides, I really want to believe that DQM1R is getting localized...  someday...

I guess I really should come more often. 

Actually, compression is the biggest thing remaining. Dialogs would really be the next best thing in the patch.

For the menu, names and other stuff, there seems to be a limit in the number of characters available, and I'm almost at that limit. I couldn't find the place, pointer or size, where that limit is, so I can't add much more. However, it's "understandable" even if it's not perfect currently. 

I've checked the other thread, and you have a good bit of information already (for me, the hardest part was the table, the rest is kinda easy). The thread seems to be stopped for nearly a month now, so I don't know if I'm too late. However, I still have all the stuff (mostly in excel files with vba code) I used to get the info and translate, I can help and share with what I know and have. 

Hey great to hear from you! We're still cracking at it, and I've looked at a lot of your notes which have been VERY helpful. No luck on the compression yet, all I've managed to do is just break the rom trying to figure it out and change the text colors heh... But you're right once that is cracked this shouldn't be too bad to complete, especially with all you accomplished earlier. If you don't mind sending me what other info you have or putting it on the wiki Cain and I can grab it and maybe use it! :)

I'll try to get back to the text dialogs, and find back the info. For now, here's the easy stuff. The forum/thread might not be the best way to transfer the information though.

Already extracted, decoded
Filename             What is does
msg_tokusei.binA     Traits names
msg_actionname.binA  Skills names
msg_taiseiname.binA  Resistances/weakness names
msg_itemname.binA    Item names
msg_monstername.binA Monster names
msg_menu.binA        Menu options
msg_battle.binA      Battle quotes
msg_actionhelp.binA  Help text on skills
msg_library.binA     Help text on traits
msg_skillname.binA   Skill group names
msg_traveler.binA    "Ingame ""help"" tutorial system"
msg_shop.binA        Menu options with shops, breeding and a few other stuff
message0.binA        Priorities for the monsters (no mercy or healing) / ranks
msg_virtual.binA     Virtual battle menu (new stuff in dqmj2p)
msg_map.binA          Map places
msg_skillhelp.binA   "dunno, very small, only an ""etc."""
msg_itemhelp.binA    help text for items
msg_wifi.binA        Wifi battles text
msg_passing.binA     Names/countries
msg_profile.binA     ? Countries

Translation not needed
Filename                      What is does
EnmyKindTbl.bin               Monsters (in the team) stats
BtlEnmyPrm2.bin               Monsters (in the wild) stats
Combination4GTbl.bin          4 way breeding matches
CombinationNotRankTbl.bin     Monsters that can't be bred by rank
CombinationKindTbl.bin        2 way breeding matches
CombinationKindTypeTbl.bin    "Breeding of one monster and one ""kind"""
CombinationGold2ParentTbl.bin Seems related to the egg after the end game
StoreTbl_A.bin                Items that can be bought, and at what upgrade rank
StoreTbl_B.bin                Dunno, seems an addendum to store ranks
SkillTbl.bin                  How many skills points required to learn skills
SkillSpEvoTbl.bin             3 way Skill groups evolutions
SkillEvoTbl.bin               Simple skill groups evolutions
ItemTbl.bin                   Item stats
Edited by SOuimet

There has been plenty of progress thanks to the collaboration of SOuimet, Cain and Dustin Hubbard.  Cain is working on building the correct table file and various tools to facilitate a proper script dump and to rebuild it.  Dustin is working on the compression which still is causing some head-scratching, but I am sure it is nothing he can't get past, once he can commit some more time to it. 

Cain seems to have the most steam at the moment as he is making daily updates of progress.  It's encouraging to see this still moving forward and with renewed GUSTO!

If any of the guys actually doing the work want to weigh in on this, certainly feel free to jump in.

I'm glad there's progress.  Once we do get some stuff dumped that can be translated I can help out there.  If not me personally I may be able to get my manga scanlation group involved.

This sounds promising. I've been wondering what the deal with Hihyurude is: is he the king Sanguini corrupted? Is he the reason the airship crashed (even though that would conflict with what vanilla Joker 2 claimed)? Did Hihyurude form from the Sanguinis' sins to punish them? Is he just a generic villain with no real backstory and you only beat him up because he's evil (also he tries to kill you, but that happens afterward)? Does he tie Sanguini to train tracks and twirl his diabolical mustache while making the poor sobbing heroine pay the rent!?

I originally thought maybe he was Zehlam, but I found out a long while ago that Zehlam is in vanilla - there's a skeleton behind Rigor Mortex you can inspect.

Edited by Shinryu

One thing that has always bugged me was why games like this have never been released to the west at the same time as their regions release date (or released to the west at all). I feel that there are way too little RPG's being released these days that I am getting quite starved for one.

But then again, that's just my opinion. What do you guys think.

One thing that has always bugged me was why games like this have never been released to the west at the same time as their regions release date (or released to the west at all). I feel that there are way too little RPG's being released these days that I am getting quite starved for one.

But then again, that's just my opinion. What do you guys think.

Well, we have Bavely Default International Version, so things aren't that bad.

And it really have everything you expect of a RPG, and we'll get the sequel too.

The monsters game that haven't Persona or SMT in their name are really rare, I'll admit. Not sure why.

Edited by Holy Slime Knight

So, any update on this? I've tried Souimet's uploaded translation and upon reaching Underground Ruins, black screen on every encounter. This goes up to the map before Dark Leonyx battle. I've managed to pass everything by casting Stealth all the time. Dark Leonyx can be fought without black screening.

After defeating Dark Leonyx, no black screen on the ship, tournament, etc., up until the post game Underworld map. Every encounter is black screening again, except in the 2nd part of the Underworld where Libranex resides. All monsters in that area can be fought without black screening including Libranex.

No black screening on the remaining plate holder monsters (Empyrea, Golden Leonyx, etc) also, up until in the New World. First encounter outside will result in a black screen. Even if you manage to get pass random monsters, encountering Inopp, the first mini boss in the New World, will result in a black screen also, so progress is impossible from this point on. :(

The latest update was made on December 20, 2013.  The status is this:

- The text compression scheme has been cracked

- A decompression tool has been written which can unpack the dialog, allowing for translation to begin in earnest (not started yet as near as I can tell)

- A recompression tool is in the works which will assemble the translated dialog back into the original format (there are technical hurdles to this which must be overcome first though)

There doesn't appear to have been any notable progress in the last month, but hopefully the team will have more time in the months that follow.

Big kudos to the guys working on this for making as much progress as they have.