Sign in to follow this  
SOuimet

Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2 Pro translation

Could create a player and name him AAAAAAAA then do a search for that? There's also several instances of the term NWFC and WI-FI in the game, I think?

In addition, if you examine the latest few translation patches, part of the intro was changed to English, as well as some of the menus. So there's some stuff there.

Could create a player and name him AAAAAAAA then do a search for that? There's also several instances of the term NWFC and WI-FI in the game, I think?

In addition, if you examine the latest few translation patches, part of the intro was changed to English, as well as some of the menus. So there's some stuff there.

Tried AAAB. I mean I could do all that but I'd rather not redo hacking that has already been done.

Sorry for the late reply... I hope I'm not too technical. If I am, or if this info does not belong here, feel free to tell me, I'll remove it.

The same alphabet is more or less used for DQMJ2P(j) and DQMJ2(u). Basically, I have found them and got them in a text and spreadsheet file.

Every letter is 1 or 2 bytes. Numbers, starting at "0" begins at byte 0x01, upper case letters starts at byte 0x0D, and lower case letter starts at 0x27. After that, there are some special characters (foreign languages accents). Japanese characters starts at 0x6F with a ã‚ letter. Up to 0xDF, those are japanese letters. at 0xE0, it's beginning to be 2 bytes per character. 0xE315 is the <enter>. In the 0xE3XX bytes, there are also a couple of "parameters", like 0xE30F which is the hero's name. DQMJ2(u) added a few of those parameters, which don't work when directly inserted in DQMJ2P.

For the offsets of dialogs and stuff like that, I don't actually have them listed. The reason is that I'm mostly looking at the "files" extracted from the game using a tool for NDS. However, a small sample is the "file" S03E12, which is located at offset 0x7156C00 for 235208 bytes. If I'm remembering correctly, it was about the dialogs relating to questions of the mud man quiz. Even that "file" can be separated to another 8 sub "files", probably some preparation for multiple languages. Each of those sub files are identical. Only the first one is used in the game.

In the beginning of the summer, I tried to get some help on an external site : http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=298610, and pretty much explained what I know about the dialogs. Someone called Fast6191 helped me a bit (I completed the character map with his help, found how to manipulate those "sub files", and he wrote the tutorial that help me bring it further) but I was still unable to decode compression (even if it seems like very little compression).

Dialog text is somehow dictated by 3 bytes before the text itself. Those bytes are used for the length of the non-compressed text that follows, and somehow a link to compressed text before or after. I could almost get to the links but I could not figure out how the length of the compressed part is calculated. I can almost brute force through it, but I found some problems where it's not really 3 bytes or some that are not as easy to manipulate.

Well, for now, I don't what to put too much info, but I'm still messing around with the game. I do hope however that it's a good start.

Ok yah that's a perfect overview for now, saved me from having to start from scratch. I'm confused by one point though. You say you have a script dump, but you also say you haven't figured out the compression. Did you mean you aren't sure how to recompress, or did you just wing it and grab the text as is?

I don't have a script dump exactly. I do have a character table dump and dumps of different parts (like traits, skills, monsters names and stuff like that), but not for script.

I can extract the files, but they are still in the raw format. The reason I extract them, is that I can manipulate them outside of the game and when I re-insert them back, I can add more or less bytes to the file and it's still vaild (well, if I did my work ok and didn't mess the format).

The compression format is so "lazy" that big parts of the text is in uncompressed format and thus can be seen easily. It's like, for a dialog of 40 characters or something like that, there would be about 25-30 characters uncompressed and a few "3 bytes" sections to refer to copy dialog parts from another section in the file. However, those 3 bytes stuff are not removable or are very hard to change by hand (for now at least).

Yeah that's what I thought. Was possible to do that with DQ4-6 DS but it really hurts the translation.

Ascii crossreference chart: (Ugh stupid html not keeping spaces)

0 1 2

D E F 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 A B C D E F 0 1 2 3 4 5 6

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

2 3 4

7 8 9 A B C D E F 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 A B C D E F 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 A B C D E F

a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z

Is this chart good for Joker 2 US and pro, or just pro? I tried taking an uncompressed RAM savestate and searching for a word that is currently displayed an nothing came up. The only words I can find are in utility.bin.

If I can find just one main script word in RAM I can back trace and locate the decompression routine.

Edited by Tom-Servo

With the spaces problems, it's kinda hard to see, but I checked it in the reply code and yes, it is ok.

Here's a link to a google spreadsheet with the letters I currently have.

It is based on DQMJ2P, but I extracted just about everything I could in DQMJ2 using the exact same character map without any problem.

From what I saw, the latest DQMJ2 added a few characters, but kept everything that was already there in DQMJ2P (in the character map I mean).

When you say the latest DQMJ2, you mean DQMJ2 USA, right? If so, that's very curious. Why would DQMJ2 US have elements of DQMJ2P in it? I wonder if DQM1R will be based on the DQMJ2P engine? Or maybe they hadn't abandoned DQMJ2P like we feared.

Edit: 㤠is tsu. 㣠is a sokuon, It means double the next consonant. For example, ãã£ã¦ (kitte, not kitsute). The long vowel mark is similar, but the other way around. らーã‚ã‚“ / ラーメン (Ramen, or rather, Raamen).

You have a similar hiccup with the various yu/ya/yos:

ã‚„ is ya. ゃ are examples of a classification of letters called the yÅon. It means "glue these two together". Kya ("Eeek!" or "GRAAAAAAAH~"), for example, is ãゃ, and not ãã‚„ (ki-ya). The katakana イ is similarly used for foreign words, with the big one being I, and the smaller one adding an i sound to the end of a sound when Japan usually doesn't have them (for example ウィキペディア -- Wikipedia).

One more I didn't see on the list but cost me a letter grade on a Japanese test: 々. This is a Kanji, but it doesn't mean anything. Instead it means "repeat the previous kanji." 人々 (ã²ã¨ã³ã¨) means "people" but could also be written 人人... but that looks really awkward, so don't do it. http://www.manything...anji/d/0000.htm

Edited by KiTA

Latest DQMJ2 = DQMJ2 (usa).

The character map was the same for DQMJ2 (j) and DQMJ2 (p). It was also easier to keep it for DQMJ2 (u). It doesn't mean anything about DQMJ2P (u) though.

However, if you want to believe that they are preparing it, I can tell that DQMJ2P(j) had all the structure for multi-languages, and DQMJ2 (u) has all the DQMJ2P data missing, in the same spots that they were in DQMJ2P, like if they were removed after being added.

So, in my opinion, it would be easy for them to work on DQMJ2P (u), which they might already be doing in our backs. But don't take my word for it, and I won't stop trying to translate it because of those small facts.

Also, for my spreadsheet, the yu/ya/yos weren't done by a helping friend from another forum (Garithos's forum) trying to help me. I actually didn't enter this and don't actually understand it. The first 2 columns are the only one I'm using. If you want to help fix this, that's cool, but I'm not sure it would be of any use.

SOuimet, do you have the descriptions of items and skills, etc? Or basically everything except for the actual dialogue script? If so, could you please send it to me? It would be very useful :)

SOuimet, do you have the descriptions of items and skills, etc? Or basically everything except for the actual dialogue script? If so, could you please send it to me? It would be very useful :)

I sent practically everything I had (well almost, as I'm discovering new things every now and then, and not everything is useful), to King Zenith, who added a bunch of stuff here already.

Items are here already, with monsters stats and a couple of other stuff like synthesis.

Traits and skills are probably somewhere in one of the next parts that will be added.

Feel free to check on http://www.woodus.com/den/games/dqm5ds/ in the section at the top right to have the info.

hey i have forgoten about this fourm and i have been following it for a whil but i forgot wherecan i get the lattest patch for the english rom? and is the texts done?whats the link to the wiki page?

:) ty

Link Removed... When it has been put back on... consider me as a beta tester please!

@epiccenter: please be patient.

You have the rom patched in english, but you need to patch it with the anti piracy patch, but you cant patch it with the anti piracy patch, because a rom is only one time patchable. This forum is for developing the translation patch, not as like as a service cnter, so pls dont push us too much...

When you aren't able to see the blue men (old little fat grandpa), then you don't have the anti piracy patch... This means (as i sayed before) that you need to update your firmware for your flashcard. or otherwise if there is no update available, you need to patch your patched rom with an hex editor using the anti piracy patch files/data.

Talk about harsh... But i agree... people are inpatient should become patient it takes time for these people to patch a game... and just to let you know... this game goes on forever so it will take them longer than usual... and one more thing.... this game is even longer than the original as it has new monsters... new skill sets, new traits and new locations thus more of a story line... so @inpatient people... im going to tell you too.... SHUT YOUR MOUTH AND BE PATIENT YOU F****** T**** JUST LIKE THE REST OF US ARE AND APRICIATE WHAT THESE PEOPLE ARE DOING TO HELP YOU OUT!!!

Hayden is out... peace!

Edited by SirLandonD

Is it Possible for me to help with the Translation Please Im good at Using Google Translate then Fixing the Incorrect Text to be what it should be

Google Translate won't do most of the onomatopoeic names or spells, and you'd additionally have to have experience with the existing localized names for most moves and monsters.

(I tried doing a complete item list for DQ9 via Google Translate and Rikaichan. What a right pain.)

Is it Possible for me to help with the Translation Please Im good at Using Google Translate then Fixing the Incorrect Text to be what it should be

Any idiot, like yourself, can be good @ using Google Translate.

Hi,

Is there anything I can do to help the translation process go along? I don't really have much of a jap background but I've got a lot of programming background.

Thanks

Is there anything I can do to help the translation process go along? I don't really have much of a jap background but I've got a lot of programming background.

Well, for now, I would "need" someone with DS disassembler skills to progress or beta testers for the latest stuff I did (basically, picking up most of the english text).

Actually, I would have a version to release now, but my only concern right now is that I need beta testers who won't leak stuff on the web.

Actually, I would have a version to release now, but my only concern right now is that I need beta testers who won't leak stuff on the web.

I'm still available to beta test. And so far I have not leaked anything you have sent me in the past. Also playing joker 2 pro again would kinda help me with a project I plan to work on.

Well, for now, I would "need" someone with DS disassembler skills to progress or beta testers for the latest stuff I did (basically, picking up most of the english text).

My DS disassembler skills are next to none, but I'm a quick learner if you can point me in the direction of some tutorials.

As for beta testing, I would love to beta test. I promise to not leak anything ( I know that doesn't really count for much, since you just met me, but eh. if there's a way I can prove to you that I won't leak, I'll do it).

Edited by flametornado