Sign in to follow this  
SOuimet

Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2 Pro translation

I wish I could help your project out some--I've been interested in the romhacking stuff for some years now, but I only really liked messing around with the NES, since it's my favorite system. If I had the experience with the DS I'd look into helping you.

I'm of agreeance with leaving out the story bits. I've followed a bunch of different translation projects for games, and most of them die due to a lack of interest. The shame is these projects lose the work done too--because the authors want to not release anything until a certain standard is crossed. I've seen and personally think that there's two stages in a fan translation of a game--what's necessary to play it, and what's everything else. The DQMonster games are really low on story, and most of us play the games because of how much fun it is to get to use all those monsters and make the next cooler thing. The story is really the weaker point of these games... For people afraid of moonspeak, having a gameplay patch to get all the utility features straightened out is an awesome help. Especially when you can use a walkthrough to find out what to do to proceed with a story--but it's not so easy to remember all those skills and traits the monsters have. Getting a basic utility patch out helps players get into the game and enjoy its gameplay. Now that the English version of the game is out, it's even easier to figure out what to do in the pro version (excepting the new content). But still figuring out traits and skills and weapons might be confusing.

Translations which release these partial translation patches generally generate a good amount of interest for the game and the translation project in general. It keeps people coming back looking for the next part. Most projects I've seen that don't like to release anything until it's basically all 100% done and editing lose people who are interested, and the authors themselves end up losing interest as well. There's tons of games that ultimately have no patch because there was never one released in the first place and there's no one around to release the work's that been done--it's all lost. Lots of hacks have disappeared from the internet this way... which is a shame. I've seem some cool stuff over the years :(

I'm all for waiting for a patch. But if you think you might lose interest again for a good chunk of time, it might not be a bad idea just to drop a little teaser patch somewhere. It's too bad about the patch... Squeeeeenix seems to be more interested in protecting their property than other developers lately :/ Maybe you could offer a torrent version of the patch?

At this point in time, a partial translation is absolutely better than zero translation. I speak from experience here, as I used to do C/P work on ROMs for little projects here and there. The MAIN reason why projects lose interest is because of the way they get treated. I'm quite amazed to not see a lot of demanding here. Souimet, you've got a good amount of support going here, and I commend you for that.

In response to Celice's reply, projects like this lose interest because people expect too much. When one patch gets released, people $#!&@ and moan that it's not complete. They want more, and more and more. They push and $#!&@ at the team doing the patch. These ingrates think that having a TRANSLATED ROM is something they are entitled to. I gotta say, Souimet is quite smart to not release his patch quite yet. I believed in quality over quantity, yet many people cannot say the same thing.

I've followed a bunch of different translation projects for games, and most of them die due to a lack of interest. The shame is these projects lose the work done too--because the authors want to not release anything until a certain standard is crossed. I've seen and personally think that there's two stages in a fan translation of a game--what's necessary to play it, and what's everything else.

At this point in time, a partial translation is absolutely better than zero translation. I speak from experience here, as I used to do C/P work on ROMs for little projects here and there. The MAIN reason why projects lose interest is because of the way they get treated. I'm quite amazed to not see a lot of demanding here. Souimet, you've got a good amount of support going here, and I commend you for that.

In response to Celice's reply, projects like this lose interest because people expect too much. When one patch gets released, people $#!&@ and moan that it's not complete. They want more, and more and more. They push and $#!&@ at the team doing the patch. These ingrates think that having a TRANSLATED ROM is something they are entitled to. I gotta say, Souimet is quite smart to not release his patch quite yet. I believed in quality over quantity, yet many people cannot say the same thing.

Thanks both for the support, you can be sure I won't leave without releasing a patch. The interest is sometimes low, sometimes high. When it's low, I play, or I go back to other games or other stuff in the game to change ideas.

The latest beta was already playable, but with the menus from the english version, it's becoming more enjoyable.

When I applied everything, (if I ignore the weird bug with stats), I was even able to come to a point where I was kinda surprised when I saw a japanese character (oh yeah, it's just a translation...)

The game is at the "first stage" (playable). I want to make it somewhere close to the "second stage", which is why I don't release anything yet.

If I see that I cannot make it go further, at the worst case, I will release everything, including my tools, so that someone else can have a try at it.

I'm far from there yet.

Now, that weird bug is pretty much the only thing left before I can work on dialogs.

Currently, it's seems to be a spacing problem again. I thought I solved that problem before, but that's a new version of it.

Thing is, I cannot pinpoint exactly what the bug really is yet, and with lack of asm skills, it's hard to fix.

Ah, now I did find a copy of your patch hidden in the older corners of the internet! But I seem to be having difficulty getting it to run alongside the anti-piracy patch. I can't get the AP patch applied when your translation is already applied because the AP tool no longer recognizes the game's checksum or whatever. If I put the patch on first then your translation, one of the crew members is missing in the beginning (the anti-piracy measure is in effect). It looks like your patch ends up reversing the AP patch change.

Any suggestion on how I can get the two working together? I think before people started physically patching out the AP in the ROMs, they would just use cheat codes. But I can't find an AP bypass code anywhere other than the patch... >.<

Ah, now I did find a copy of your patch hidden in the older corners of the internet! But I seem to be having difficulty getting it to run alongside the anti-piracy patch. I can't get the AP patch applied when your translation is already applied because the AP tool no longer recognizes the game's checksum or whatever. If I put the patch on first then your translation, one of the crew members is missing in the beginning (the anti-piracy measure is in effect). It looks like your patch ends up reversing the AP patch change.

Any suggestion on how I can get the two working together? I think before people started physically patching out the AP in the ROMs, they would just use cheat codes. But I can't find an AP bypass code anywhere other than the patch... >.<

Starting with a clean rom, apply the translation patch using a program like XDelta. Next, use a hex editor to manually apply the AP patch. You should be good to go after that.

That's the trick! For some reason I was a little cautious that the patch did more than just edit that small bit of data (I'm so used to DS edits to shift files all around...).

Thanks for the suggestion--I wouldn't have tried it otherwise :3 Looks to be working so far.

Great! Glad I could help. This tip is mentioned elsewhere in this thread, but one can hardly be expected to read through 38 pages of posts. This is a monster of a thread.

I've extracted the stuff already, but the problem is that I cannot put everything back in the pro version without some problems. Problems are because some sections are taking too much spaces. Funny thing, some sections take a lot more space, yet do not cause the bug. Currently, the sections I cannot add yet are item names and resistances. After that, I'll give a try at dialogs.

I've extracted the stuff already, but the problem is that I cannot put everything back in the pro version without some problems. Problems are because some sections are taking too much spaces. Funny thing, some sections take a lot more space, yet do not cause the bug. Currently, the sections I cannot add yet are item names and resistances. After that, I'll give a try at dialogs.

It's not a bug, the US version has edited pointers to give them more space. You're going to have to edit pointers to make the translation patch work, there's no way around it.

I don't think it's actually that simple. During localizations, text routines are often modified or even rewritten to accommodate for the English language and it's ways of writing. A real basic example is in a lot of Japanese games just ten years ago, you didn't really need more than eight characters for a name. But in English, you can easily use more than just eight letters to describe the same concept/word as its Japanese counter-part. Stuff like that is done all throughout the game--sometimes the changes aren't easily able to fit into the original text code, and the code has to be further adjusted to allow the new code to work properly. This makes porting the U.S. stuff into the Pro version a bit troubling, because if there's been enough changes like that, it's like trying to stick a round peg into a square hole--you can't just bluntly copy/paste anymore.

I'm pretty sure SOuimet would have noticed relocating text was all that had to be done if it were that simple. But if not, it doesn't hurt to know it now... :)

It's not a bug, the US version has edited pointers to give them more space. You're going to have to edit pointers to make the translation patch work, there's no way around it.

It probably is something like that. However, it's not something that's easy to find (yet). From what I see, it seems more of a memory allocation bank problem, where if I allocate more than what was allowed, another memory bank is used, which overwrite some part of the game.

Anyway, there are 2 solutions for me, 1: find the place where the number of bytes are allocated and raise the value, 2: reduce the number of bytes to fit. The second is easier for now.

You could do a byte comparison between the Japanese ROM and the English ROM files. For DQMJ2, not Pro, I mean.

Hey SOuimet or KiTA, I want to do a full text dump of the english version of Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2. I've been poking around the files and such, but I've found them all to be compressed and have no idea how to continue. Are either of you guys able to help me out with this please?

Hey SOuimet or KiTA, I want to do a full text dump of the english version of Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2. I've been poking around the files and such, but I've found them all to be compressed and have no idea how to continue. Are either of you guys able to help me out with this please?

If I was able to find a solution to this, the DQMJ2Pro would be translated currently...

I was able to find some kind of structure, using 3 bytes, just before the beginning of the non-compressed text, in japanese. It was still not enough to manipulate it correctly. I still don't know if it's the same in DQMJ2, as I'm still working on all the other stuff.

If you can find how to work with this compression, I would be more than interested on how it works...

You guys should exchange some id's so that you can talk more, I have the feeling that one knows what the other doesn't and vice versa. Now with the announcement of DQM 3DS, i highly doubt it we are going to get and official J2Pro version.

I skimmed this thread and thought I'd help out a bit. Excuse the stream of conciousness text that follows:

When a company knows that a game will be released in many languages the coders take this into account. DQ5-DQ6 DS already had the English code included, but DQ4 DS did not have some of the English routines yet, but they weren't so hard to add. Juxtapose that with DQ5 PS2, which needed pretty much everything to be hacked to get English to look nice (and to add gender). I'm not sure about DQMJ2/DQMJ2pro yet cause I didn't look.

From what I read here DQMJ2/DQMJ2pro uses some sort of compression. I'm thinking it's fairly simple and one type (like DQ4-6 DS) and not like DQ9 (superduper nightmare, almost as scary as the localization!). There are two ways of figuring out how to decode. First is to stare at the encoded text and use your logic skills to fidn the pattern and write a decoder. The second way is harder but always works. This involves using no$gba's debugger to isolate the routine that decodes the text, then writing code to simulate said routine and then generate a script dump.

Making an encoder is much more challenging, but if you do it right you won't have to sorry about any bugs. Just take decoded text and write code to reencode it. Easy! :P

Alright! Nice to have Tom weigh in on this. If you can crack the compression, I think this project might progress even faster than it already has.

Alright! Nice to have Tom weigh in on this. If you can crack the compression, I think this project might progress even faster than it already has.

I'll see what I can do, but I would love for there to be a few more experienced hackers brought into the mix (or better yet trained from it). I can't spend as much time on project due to my current situation, unless somehow it leads to a much better job. :)

I'll see what I can do, but I would love for there to be a few more experienced hackers brought into the mix (or better yet trained from it). I can't spend as much time on project due to my current situation, unless somehow it leads to a much better job. :)

That's understandable. SOuimet has proven to be very skilled, so I am sure he will get this figured out. Anyway, what am I talking for? I will step back now and just see what he has to say about your comments and suggestions. I was just happy to see you post in here as I know it's a problem that is within your capabilities to solve.

I took a preliminary peek and it looks like the joker 2 US ROM uses something besides ascii (or maybe just doesn't keep text in memory after loading it into the display). I makes a RAM snapshot and looked for text that was displayed on screen but no luck. Instead of me looking for a while can someone give me a ROM offset that has some text? Thanks. :)