Sign in to follow this  
SOuimet

Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2 Pro translation

Hello,

New guy here (please don't be too harsh with comments).

I'm a programmer with some time and an interest in this game for now.

I'm posting the news here first, since I got most of my english names here.

Since it's still unsure if the english translation is coming or not, and since I wanted to play now, I started my own translation of the game.

Also, since I don't understand japanese, my translations without a valid source are from google, so they're not perfect...

For now, all monsters names are done.

The only thing left to do would be to be able to create a patch based on my modifs, and validate monsters name.

After that, I'll try to find some source to translate the skills.

Is there some interest for this project.

Here's a random screenshot:

sampled.png

Edited by SOuimet
  • Upvote 2

Oh hell yeah, sign me up as interested =)

Looking forward to seeing a ton of English in this one.

Yeah, I'm willing to help too.

While you wait I can help better translate the already-translated lines.

=p

First off, I managed to translate all library monsters without much problems.

However, with a bit more playing (after translating all), I noticed that those not in library have their names removed.

Technically, this means that the approx 1400 character buffer I thought I had to translate between japanese and english version is not bug free.

In practice, this means that unless I remove a lot of characters in the names, there will not be any names for the "non-library" monsters.

In the game data, the last monster in the library is the Schleiman Tank.

All thoses after that wont have names (like the Wiggly and Missing lynx that are unbeatable in the beginning for instance, not those that are recruitable).

The last string for the monsters to translate is the "Stronger" and "Strongest".

For now, my idea would be to put a single ? for those monsters, and I think I could fit it in.

I will try this and then, I'll create an Xdelta file.

With this file, I could include a text file with the names from the game and their translation.

This could simplify the names correction.

Basically, those without names here are at risk of a very wrong name...

First off, I managed to translate all library monsters without much problems.

However, with a bit more playing (after translating all), I noticed that those not in library have their names removed.

Technically, this means that the approx 1400 character buffer I thought I had to translate between japanese and english version is not bug free.

In practice, this means that unless I remove a lot of characters in the names, there will not be any names for the "non-library" monsters.

In the game data, the last monster in the library is the Schleiman Tank.

All thoses after that wont have names (like the Wiggly and Missing lynx that are unbeatable in the beginning for instance, not those that are recruitable).

The last string for the monsters to translate is the "Stronger" and "Strongest".

For now, my idea would be to put a single ? for those monsters, and I think I could fit it in.

I will try this and then, I'll create an Xdelta file.

With this file, I could include a text file with the names from the game and their translation.

This could simplify the names correction.

Basically, those without names here are at risk of a very wrong name...

Wow, thanks for posting your progress here. I am definitely interesting in seeing this project move forward. If you need assistance with names or play-testing, I can certainly help in that regard. I have the missing names for the monsters here, just haven't gotten around to sending them to Woodus yet.

Anyway, it's awesome to see someone working on this and let me know if you think we can help in some way. Also, welcome to the Den!

I just finished uploading a video, which is a bit more interesting than just a screenshot.

Note: I haven't been able to add the sound, but I guess it's not necessary.

Those names are also shown in battle and in some of the scripts.

I'm still messing around with names length in order to shorten them to let more space for the "strong" and "strongest" (the bug is shown at the last seconds of the video actually).

Of course, I would be very happy if it is possible to help me correct the mistakes in the monsters names, and hopefully eventually skills and other things that can be translated. I should be able to produce a patch very soon.

Also, I should probably need beta testers.

Edited by SOuimet

I just noticed a mistake in the library.

The name is "See Urchin", not "Sea Urchin".

Cool, looks like a nice start you have there. If you are willing to collaborate on the translation at all, perhaps you would consider setting up a private wiki so people you approve of can go in and make edits as necessary to some of the script files?

I noticed some very minor spelling and formatting errors in your monster list, but otherwise it's looking great.

Cool, looks like a nice start you have there. If you are willing to collaborate on the translation at all, perhaps you would consider setting up a private wiki so people you approve of can go in and make edits as necessary to some of the script files?

I noticed some very minor spelling and formatting errors in your monster list, but otherwise it's looking great.

I really love the idea of the wiki.

However, I'm kinda lost with the "where and how to set it" and after that with the "who to give access to" (well, I guess I'll see who wants to help).

Would it be a something.wikia or something like that?

Also, for now, I was thinking of mediafire for hosting the patches (well, the first beta file is ready already, I only need to know where, how and to whom to share it).

I don't know if it's a good choice, but I think it could be better than rapidshare or the others like it.

I create softwares a lot, but I don't have any experience with online "distribution" yet.

Lol, I know what you mean. I myself have always been more of a downloader than an uploader. I am very interested in this project and I wish I could help but all the monster names I know have already been added.

I have some bad news and some good news.

I thought I had up to 6528 characters to help with longer names.

Bad news # 1:

I don't have a single byte more (unless someone skilled in DS asm helps). I tried what I could to get more space, but without much success.

Good news # 1:

I still have 5016 characters for the entire monster names. If I count every monsters in the list (512), this gives about 10 characters per monster name on average. It's not that much though, there are a lot more with more than 10 characters than there are with less...

Good news # 2:

If I count only those that are in the library (mostly, those that can be captured), I have about 445 monsters to take care of instead of 512.

If I only name those monsters, I have enough space for the entire library with the current names.

Bad news # 2:

If I do that, I lose the names of a few monsters and the distinction of "stronger" and "strongest".

However, I can manage not to have visual glitches, so it doesn't look bad.

Good news # 3:

The first beta is available: (using the method with only 445 monsters).

Beta 1 patch

Edited by SOuimet

I wish you the best of luck in this project, and look forward to its completion

Edited by ZomaX

Cool, thanks. I don't know what's the best idea for setting up a wiki. Maybe someone else knows a good way to go about it. We certainly do have some people skilled at DS asm, but I haven't seen them for a while. You might alone on that one.

I think mediafire is fine for patch distribution but I might suggest that you send patches via PM to limit the distribution when it gets a bit more developed. Since this game still has a chance of coming out, I would hate for a fan-patch to hurt sales (or worse, to hurt the chances of the game coming out at all).

In any case, good luck with these hurdles. I hope you are able to find something clever to work through it without having to sacrifice quality too much.

Someone look into making a Wiki, NOW.

=p

As for the "strong monsters", I'm assuming you're talking about the regular looking monsters at the end (like Slime, Chimera, Komodo, etc)?

If so, I think you can just call them "Slime+" or "Komodo++" depending if they're strong/strongest or whatever.

I'm not sure how the script treats special characters like that, but if it's just one letter, then problem solved.

I made a wiki, at http://dqmj2p.wikkii.com/wiki/Main_Page.

Up to now, I added the monsters list, and alphabet, as well as I started to put the framework for future content together.

I'm still not sure it's secure yet, but I enabled "logged users" to edit stuff.

I don't think it will be popular enough to be hacked, and I think wikis can roll back mistakes anyway.

Now, with all that done, I think it would be better to get back to work and try to find other stuff to translate.

Is there an english list of items, skills or traits somewhere ?

I can always go back to my memory of previous games for the most obvious, but recent names changes might be different (I still struggle with the idea of putting babble instead of bubble slime, like I changed the name of Carver back to Hassan...)

As for the +Slime and ++Slime (it's before the name), I could do that, but I would need to shave off about 130 characters off the current names to be able to put those "+" signs.

Still, it would be a good idea to do this, for the internal structure, but I'm not sure if it's necessary yet, and I don't know what names to change.

Up to now, I added the monsters list, and alphabet, as well as I started to put the framework for future content together.

I don't think it will be popular enough to be hacked, and I think wikis can roll back mistakes anyway.

Now, with all that done, I think it would be better to get back to work and try to find other stuff to translate.

I can always go back to my memory of previous games for the most obvious, but recent names changes might be different (I still struggle with the idea of putting babble instead of bubble slime, like I changed the name of Carver back to Hassan...)

As for the +Slime and ++Slime (it's before the name), I could do that, but I would need to shave off about 130 characters off the current names to be able to put those "+" signs.

Still, it would be a good idea to do this, for the internal structure, but I'm not sure if it's necessary yet, and I don't know what names to change.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ds/933956-dragon-quest-monsters-joker/faqs/50887

There's a skill list from the first Joker.

As for the new/remaining skills, I suggest just putting them into google translate for now. We can fix them later on. Right now I think we should just get everything roughly translated, then we can rely on other people to fine tune the skills and script on the Wiki.

I suggest not bothering with stronger/strongest distinctions. They're already differentiated by rank, so it's not really necessary.

Take a look >>>>Here

I made an account on the wiki, in a bit I might be able to help out with trivial things.

Take a look >>>>Here

This is VERY good!!

Thanks a lot, I guess I'll be able to do those changes pretty easily.

In this file, there are skills, traits and monsters (perhaps including those missing).

I'll just have to make sure I don't use too many characters, but it should be manageable.

Let's just hope for the best that I have some flexibility in the text sizes.

I made an account on the wiki, in a bit I might be able to help out with trivial things.

I kinda count on it, I won't be able to do everything myself, so I'll need help. I don't know yet the kind of help I will need, but I do know I'll need beta testing, checking for mistakes and probably updating somes pages also.

The project is still young, but who knows, it might grow fast...

Right now I'd say all of us that are working on this are the only hope for an American release, I just don't know what I could do yet.

So far the only things that I notice that are wrong are certain monsters are missing their images and also the first monster you get uses it's Japanese name instead.

Edited by ethanej

So far the only things that I notice that are wrong are certain monsters are missing their images and also the first monster you get uses it's Japanese name instead.

Thanks for the info, can you please tell me what are those monsters so that I can correct them?

Also, here's the latest progress (will get better tonight probably):

sample2m.png

Thanks for the info, can you please tell me what are those monsters so that I can correct them?

Evil beast, Zenith Dragon, Magarugi, Libranex, Leonyx, Dark Leonyx, Great Godbird, Rhapthore(Size 3 monster), Estark, Aquarion, Robo Slime, Gadis, Saggitar, Yggdrasil, Sitting Beast, Workshop, Liquid metal king, Pruslas, Orochi, Xiphos, Ruin, King Godwyn, Ballon Slime, Khalimari, Canzar, Schleiman Tank, Empyrea, Stormsgate Citadel, Slime Family, Bjorn, Missing Lynx, Leviathan, Wiggly probably would have been easier to say size three monsters.