Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TRL

Dragon Quest monsters art

Keen, thanks for the support, guys. My DNS register actually called yesterday "concerned" about the drop in traffic and how they could help. Unfortunately, they didn't have a web design resource where every response wasn't, "Hurr, lurn 2 c0d3!1!"

I finally got around to doing one again.

Here's hippoblockamus. His pose was pretty challenging, in the art I saw he's just standing there with his arms beside him and his mouth closed. I thought this looked a bit more dynamic.

It actually would be a great help to have the ingame animations in gif form somewhere. I wonder if anyone would ever think about uploading that. Seems like a huge amount of work.

Anyway tell me if you like it or if you see any faults with it.

hippoblockamus.jpg

I love it! And I can definitely help you with the in-game animations (I'll do PS2 version, since they are more detailed). It's a piece of cake as long as you don't need the background removed. I'll need a few days to fire that up though.

I love it! And I can definitely help you with the in-game animations (I'll do PS2 version, since they are more detailed). It's a piece of cake as long as you don't need the background removed. I'll need a few days to fire that up though.

Ah that would be great. But you shouldn't just do it for me, but for everyone's viewing pleasure! I bet the animations from the ds remakes are pretty easy to rip too, because most of them are there in the monster inventory.

I bet the animations from the ds remakes are pretty easy to rip too, because most of them are there in the monster inventory.

The DS Animations are certainly easy to rip, and the backgrounds are much easier to remove in that case. Maybe I will do both so we can compare. The PS2 version has a monster inventory with the animations as well, but the monster box models show up smaller and the details are more difficult to make out.

In any case, it sounds like I have my Monday lunch project all planned out.

Well it would really be useful to have animations firstly to see some different poses and secondly to see parts of the monster that aren't shown on the regular art, like in this case I had no idea what the hands of the hippo looked like. For that rotating models, like in DQM Joker are great too. Because you almost never see the monsters backs otherwise.

Anyway take your time man. Really only do this, if you want it too. Because I can live without and I would feel guilty putting you through all this work. There's alot of games with animated monsters out there. :P

It's no problem at all. I'd love it if we had rotating models for DQ5 monsters. We'll see how much extra stuff we can find with the animations. I have a feeling we won't be seeing his hands, but we should be able to see more of him in any case.

Awesome choice, amazing pose!

The nose of the shield hippo would look great on a 3D image based on your design!

Kind of looks as if he'd fall on his face, though, because it's so large. If he does not get a better footing, down he'll go!

I guess he got strong back muscles :D

Glad you like it. Coloring will be a pain because of all the metallic objects he's wearing.

Alright, here are the first four animations I could rip (from PS2):

At Rest:

DQ5_PS2_ShieldHippo_Rip1.gif

Blocking:

DQ5_PS2_ShieldHippo_Rip2.gif

Attacking:

DQ5_PS2_ShieldHippo_Rip3.gif

And the always enjoyable, Kill shot!

DQ5_PS2_ShieldHippo_Rip4.gif

Doesn't seem like he does anything else. At least, I couldn't get him to do anything else. I'll check out the DS version now and See if there is anything useful there.

Well, I don't have enough time to go track him down in the wild, and the DS monster book only has his at-rest and attacking animations. Nothing else in there:

DQ5_DS_Hippo_Rip1.gif

I guess I could check to see if any of his palette swaps have different actions. Forgot to check that. Will have to wait for another day though, unless someone knows off-hand that they're the same.

Do the number of animations in the monster book increase with the number of times you killed the monster?

Do the number of animations in the monster book increase with the number of times you killed the monster?

I'm not sure actually. That's a good question. Might have to test that out.

That's very nice! Now if you could do that for all remaining monsters. :D

The dieing animation probably isn't a pose I'm gonna use anytime to draw, but the others are very useful.

The dieing animation probably isn't a pose I'm gonna use anytime to draw, but the others are very useful.

Awesome, glad you find them helpful. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Also, I was surprised to see that we do, in fact, get to see his hands.

Awesome, glad you find them helpful. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Also, I was surprised to see that we do, in fact, get to see his hands.

You mean with the hippoblockamus? I don't think I will go and draw him again soon. I was under the impression you were going to start and collect the animations of all the monsters for future reference. Or I could just ask you in advance next time I want to draw a monster. I'll probably do some more of your suggestions.

I was under the impression you were going to start and collect the animations of all the monsters for future reference. Or I could just ask you in advance next time I want to draw a monster. I'll probably do some more of your suggestions.

Oh, groovy. I didn't realize that. Yeah, I plan on ripping animations at some point, but I am focusing on getting the static sprites for all games first. I would be more than happy to do some for you as needed when you want to draw something though.

That's cool. I think I'll do the dragon with the retarded face next. Don't know what it's called because I haven't played 5 yet.

That's cool. I think I'll do the dragon with the retarded face next. Don't know what it's called because I haven't played 5 yet.

Hmmm, you mean this guy?

097MadDragon.png

He's called a Mad Dragon in the PS2 version and Drag-goof in the DS version. I can get that animation for you, but probably not until tomorrow if that helps.

That's perfectly fine take your time. I'm first gonna finish coloring the previous one anyway.

Yeah, Mad Dragon just kinda...wierds me out but for some reason I think he looks kinda cool too...maybe it's everything but the face.

I'll probably do some more of your suggestions.

Draw Suuupaaaaa Tennntsukuuuuu~!!!

And I'll give you a cookie.

Alright, here is what I have on Mad Dragon (Drag-goof):

DQ5_PS2_MadDragon_Rip1.gif

DQ5_PS2_MadDragon_Rip2.gif

DQ5_PS2_MadDragon_Rip3.gif

DQ5_PS2_MadDragon_Rip4.gif

DQ5_PS2_MadDragon_Rip5.gif

I realized that letting him run away would give you more angles to look at. Hopefully this helps you out.

These should prove very useful. Thanks!

That running animation is hilarious btw with his eyes popping out even more. :D

Haha, these are awesome!

=)

If you're still looking for suggestions, a Florajay would be epic.

;)

5-florajay.png